SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive...324522596.shtml

Mom, daughter missing since 80s still a mystery
Published on 03/24/02
BY KATHY STEVENS
Of The Post and Courier Staff
MONCKS CORNER—Twelve-year-old Annette Deanne Sagers and her dog left the caretaker's cabin at Mount Holly Plantation and walked to a wooden shelter along U.S. Highway 52 where she awaited a school bus.

She never boarded the bus.

The only real clue she left was a note, found on Oct. 4, 1988. It was scrawled in pencil on a sheet of notebook paper found near the narrow shelter and said only: "Dad, momma came back. Give the boys a hug."

The sixth-grader's message baffled the detectives who, nearly one year earlier, had launched a weeklong search of the 6,000-acre plantation for Annette's mother, Korrina Lynne Sagers Malinoski, who disappeared from the same spot Nov. 21, 1987.

The note was the last communication from Annette, who, if she is alive, would have celebrated her 25th birthday March 16. To this day, police say the mother-daughter disappearance is a mystery.

"We just don't know if they were killed, or whether the mother came back for her daughter," says Chief L. Randy Herod of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office.

The mystery began five days before Thanksgiving 1987, when Malinoski didn't show up for work at a Summerville convenience store. The store manager began looking for his 26-year-old employee of six months and discovered her car parked and locked near the plantation's gated entrance.

Malinoski's husband, Steven Malinoski, told Berkeley County deputies his wife left the cabin between 11 and 11:30 the night before, saying she was going for a drive. Police called investigators from the State Law Enforcement Division, search and rescue crews, and combed the grounds on foot and by air.

They asked the public for help, interviewed Steven Malinoski, and alerted Korrina Malinoski's parents in Iowa. But no one had seen or heard from her.

Almost one year later, Annette vanished from the same spot. Herod remembers the phone call, recalls Steven Malinoski's strained voice saying he could not find his 12-year-old stepdaughter. Malinoski's two boys, however, were safe at home.

"It was 4:15, I was in the office and the phone rings," Herod says. "He says the little girl is missing, that she hadn't made it to school and hadn't come home."

A bus driver who had driven past the wooden shelter told detectives he had seen Annette and her dog about 7 a.m. When her bus arrived at 7:20 a.m., she was gone. Steven Malinoski apparently didn't realize she was missing until that afternoon, when he found the note.

Herod says the letters were big, and written in haste. A handwriting analysis later concluded that Annette had penned the letter. Whether someone forced her hand remains a mystery.

"She could've been under duress, or, it's possible, her mother was alive and came back to get her," Herod says.

Folks then speculated that the girl might have known something about her mother's disappearance and perhaps she was silenced. Others figured Malinoski left her husband for a better life and returned for Annette, who was Malinoski's daughter from a previous marriage.

"There were a lot of red flags but nothing we could ever pin down," Herod says.

Steven Malinoski and his two boys left Berkeley County several months after Annette's disappearance. Herod says they moved to his parents' home in Florida. Since then, detectives have followed several dead-end leads.

Herod says he received an anonymous call March 30, 2000, from someone who claimed Annette's body was buried in Sumter County. Detectives from Sumter and Berkeley counties and SLED searched the undisclosed area along with forestry and Natural Resource workers.

"We had a cadaver dog that could find Civil War-era bones, in a jar, buried four feet in the ground," Herod says. "We didn't find anything."

Detective Sgt. Pamela Lee of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office first reviewed the two-inch-thick file in 1996 in hopes of finding something others had overlooked.

"It's just the mystery. I cannot imagine a mother leaving her children," Lee says.

She says Iowa state police still contact Korrina Malinoski's parents. They have not heard from their daughter or granddaughter in nearly 14 years. Photographs of the mother and daughter are posted in police agencies nationwide; their names are included among thousands of missing persons.

"Nobody in the viewing public ever came forward to say, "We saw a car, saw someone pick (Annette) up," Herod says. "Most people, you would think, would get in touch with their families. The note is the only thing that makes us hope she could be alive."

Police ask anyone with information to contact the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office at 723-3800.

Kathy Stevens covers crime in Berkeley and Dorchester counties. She may be reached at (843) 745-5858.

The mother leaves late at night to go for a ride, leaves all her kids and her car at the gate to run off , then comes back for only one of the kids. Neither of them have ever attempted to contact family or the boys. It all sounds very fishy to me. I wonder if the dog was still around and if the bus driver may have been mistaken about seeing the girl that morning since he/she probably saw her there many mornings.

Did they find the dog? In my opinion if the dog is gone too, that might support that her mother came back. But, by her being his step daughter she is probably dead along with the mother.

Thought I would add this

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=143707361

The age is the same and Korinna's family lived in Iowa at the time according to news stories.
The only thing is I don't see any one on her friends list that could be Annette, there is a boy that is 23 who calls her mom and a 30 yo girl but she doesnt call her mom and has blue eyes and doesnt look like Annette at all.

What does everyone else think?

There were a lot of red flags but nothing we could ever pin down," Herod says.
I'd like to know what those red flags are and which theory they applied to...a murder by dad/husband or mom coming back for her child.

IMO I think the mother left and came back for her daughter since she was from a previous marriage. If the mother was from Iowa why did she move to South Carolina? Is there a picture of the mother some place?

Thought I would add this

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=143707361

The age is the same and Korinna's family lived in Iowa at the time according to news stories.
The only thing is I don't see any one on her friends list that could be Annette, there is a boy that is 23 who calls her mom and a 30 yo girl but she doesnt call her mom and has blue eyes and doesnt look like Annette at all.

What does everyone else think?
This sounds promising to me. Korrina is not a common name and I've only ever seen it spelled with a "C." But where is Annette then?

Unfortunately in my search I have found that many people spell it Korinna. I was also searching in another case because there was an unusual name (in MY experience) and found several people with that name. I'm afraid that there's no longer such a thing as an unusual name LOL

Sounds very suspicious, i'm betting the husband killed them both. Maybe he moved to FL months after the daughter went missing if he was facing too much scrutiny from the locals.

The Doe Network:
Case File 321DFSC

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/321dfsc.html

Annette Deanne Sagers
Missing since October 4, 1988 from Mount Holly, Berkeley County, South Carolina
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: March 16, 1977
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 11 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'8; 95 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
•Marks, Scars: Sagers has a slight speech impediment.
•Clothing: Sagers was last seen wearing red pants, a red shirt and white shoes.
•Dentals: She has small gaps between her upper front teeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Sagers was last seen at approximately 07:00 on October 4, 1988 in Mount Holly, South Carolina.
She was standing at the bus stop in front of the Mount Holly Plantation at the time. A bus driver who had driven past the wooden shelter told detectives he had seen Annette and her dog about 07.00. When her bus arrived at 07:20, she was gone.

Sagers disappeared from the exact same location as her mother, Korrina Lynne Sagers Malinoski, did on November 27, 1987. Malinoski's husband told Berkeley County deputies his wife left the cabin between 22.00 and 23:30 the night before, saying she was going for a drive. Police called investigators from the State Law Enforcement Division, search and rescue crews, and combed the grounds on foot and by air. They asked the public for help, interviewed Steven Malinoski, and alerted Korrina Malinoski's parents in Iowa. But no one had seen or heard from her.

Police found a note at the scene after the child vanished, which stated that Malinoski had arrived for Sagers and they left together. The note said "Dad, momma came back. Give the boys a hug." Investigators determined that the handwriting was Sagers' own.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Sagers' whereabouts, please contact:
Berkeley County Sheriff's Office
Missing Persons Unit
843-719-4424
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 881024813

NCMEC #: NCMC715367

NCIC Number: M-915707888
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Charleston.Net

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sagers_annette.html

Girl vanished sometime after her Mother disappeared? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Cold Case discussion, Mom and Daughter missing.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6614/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=3308,1203287&dq=annette-deanne-sagers&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=1885,5001108&dq=annette-deanne-sagers&hl=en
(NOTE: Article is split between two pages you will have to navigate to read the entire article)

There is an archived article pay per view which is about Brittney Drexel but mentions Annette.

I don't believe in coincidences like a Mom and her daughter disappearing from the same place never to be found again. JMHO

Annette has been missing almost 22 years. Come home soon sweetie.
(age progression to right, age notated at bottom of pic, just click on pic)

Attachments

• Annette Deanne Sagers.bmp
    47.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Annette Deanne Sagers age progressed to 25.bmp
    56.9 KB · Views: 59
There is very little on the internet about this case.
I wonder how much vetting the police did with annette's stepfather. My gut tells me he's responsible for both disappearing. My theory is, he killed annette's mother in a domestic violence incident. Then, being that annette was not his own child, thus not having a 'bond' with her, and wanting to rid himself of the responsibility for her, he orcherstrated annette's 'disappearance'. (Read:murder).
I wonder if annette's grandparents are alive, and what their opinion of the matter is. They should know the character of the stepdad.
I don't believe for a second that annette's mom left on her own free will, and came back to get only one of her children.
I thought about looking up the address of the stepdad in florida and going down to talk to him.

I agree with parakeet. IMO the mother did not go for a 'drive' & if her daughter wrote that note, it was under duress from her stepfather.

The Korrina on myspace also has a fb. She is 49. The missing mom is 49 according to intellus. The Korruna on fb middle name is Lyn. The missing Korrina's middle name is Lynne. I think there is something to this, I feel it in my bones. I cant find a dob for the missing Korinna or any missing poster for her. Also, on fb this Korinna has 2 friends named Annette, and several named Ann.
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=ff&ap=1#!/profile.php?id=1036256730

Just read this thread...Sleuthster, I think this could very well be Annette that you have found on the genealogy site. Very impressive research. Is there a way to contact this poster from genforum?

Just read this thread...Sleuthster, I think this could very well be Annette that you have found on the genealogy site. Very impressive research. Is there a way to contact this poster from genforum?

I searched for her email and her names Debbie. I found her blog. She's a teacher in SC. I will email her to find out what she knows, not sure if she will tell me anything. but worth a try.

This 'Debbie' could be related to Annette and be posting the search on genealogy.com for Annette. Definitely worth the e-mail to check it out. Annette may not have ever realized that she was considered "missing" and since the step-dad more than likely didn't have custody - the mom may have just dismissed his concern.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back