Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So my wife was picking my son up at school, hwy 17, just on the edge of Awendaw and I was on my way home from work, N. Charleston, and I hear fire trucks everywhere, and radio news says simply that the hwy (17) is down to one lane from north going south. I called my wife immediately to make sure they are ok, (my wife has no idea what's up, but the radio finally says "fire" and 17 blocked through Santee and Georgetown, and my next thought is:

With the Drexel's coming down next month; raising search money; maybe a new search is upcoming, and just maybe CUE et.al. are getting a bit too close for someone's comfort level? Yes, it is extremely dry, and humidity is low, but I haven't seen a fire this large in over 10 years here (there are lookout towers and what's left of Francis Marion forrest rangers (low Federal funding), all down hwy 17... surely makes me think. God please, someone from Santee / Gerogetown come forward with that one little tip we need !

Think of how often people burn down structures to try to destroy evidence or even bodies...and it seldom works...there is always something there, if LE looks carefully. If this is an arson fire, I think they will look carefully.

Latest on the fire (nothing new really) http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/mar/25/blaze-mostly-in-check/

My opinion on how this fire will affect things - I would have to say overall it's a good thing.

It's going to put more official traffic around the hot area.

there is the possibility that evidence will be burned, but it's been two years, and dozens of searches and nothing has been discovered yet..

Perhaps this fire, and it's land-clearing effects, could reveal something that would have otherwise not be seen...

Maybe this is just me being optimistic.. who knows!? Not letting go of hope, thats for sure!!!

Welcome to websleuths and thanks for your post. It is great to have another local. I saw on one of the SC news sites that they are investigating the cause of that fire. I will try to find it and post. Have you heard anything more on that. Thanks again for the post

Hi all,

So my wife was picking my son up at school, hwy 17, just on the edge of Awendaw and I was on my way home from work, N. Charleston, and I hear fire trucks everywhere, and radio news says simply that the hwy (17) is down to one lane from north going south. I called my wife immediately to make sure they are ok, (my wife has no idea what's up, but the radio finally says "fire" and 17 blocked through Santee and Georgetown, and my next thought is:

With the Drexel's coming down next month; raising search money; maybe a new search is upcoming, and just maybe CUE et.al. are getting a bit too close for someone's comfort level? Yes, it is extremely dry, and humidity is low, but I haven't seen a fire this large in over 10 years here (there are lookout towers and what's left of Francis Marion forrest rangers (low Federal funding), all down hwy 17... surely makes me think. God please, someone from Santee / Gerogetown come forward with that one little tip we need !

http://www.gtowntimes.com/local/Wildfire-across-Santee-River-flares-up-again

Wildfire across Santee River flares up again
Published Friday, March 25, 2011 8:17 AM
GEORGETOWN, SC — The state has requested law enforcement to investigate this week’s fire — the largest in the region in a decade — which destroyed 2,600 acres of forest and three structures along the Georgetown-Charleston County line.

The fire began Wednesday afternoon and was close to being contained at press time Thursday. It was the second time the blaze was classified as nearly contained.

“It’s not 100 percent contained but it’s close,” S.C. Forestry Commission spokesman Scott Hawkins said Thursday evening.

Hawkins said since the cause of the fire is still unknown, investigators will be looking into it to see if carelessness or arson is to blame.

Rochestergirl,

Thanks for the kind welcome. As for locally, there is still no definite cause being voiced. They were supposed to have at least two professional arson investigators on the scene late Thursday or today. Initial radio reports were that due to extremely dry, low humidity, and windy conditions the fire started as a result of someone burining their trash in South Santee. While that may in fact be true, I find it hard to believe that it took so long for someone to dial up 911. Either someone was not paying any attention, or they intentionally wanted it to spread. Charleston County dispensed nearly every truck and firefighter we had to assist and the majority of Mount P. Police left to handle traffic. Locally, someone in one of the Francis Marion Forest towers called in the FIRST 911 call (per local news), and that has to be over 25 or 30 miles away, so it had apparently spread far before 911 was called.

I must agree that although my first impression was that this could be devastating to the search for evidence, this could just as easily, in fact, be one of God's many blessings in disguise. With all of the firefighters on the scene, who knows that it wouldn't have someone turn up a clue or two while covering the wide area monitoring the embers. It is very dry, land windy as of late, so conditions were ideal. If I hear anything, I'll be the first to post it here. LE in general is quite good at keeping everything on the "down-low" until they are certain they have a reasonable assurance in making any official statements and I guess that's a good thing.

Adding to the entire sadness is the fact that the Francis Marion Forest is truly beautiful. In the southern area of Awendaw is a state supported fenced habitat for wolves which are almost extinct here (maybe 20 wild ones left in the state), so if you like canines, these are beautiful animals; breed here to be released back to the wild if possible.

God bless Brittanee and family. I can assure you that as a father, we will not forget and I will do all I can to make sure she returns home. SM and all of the others, maybe more than 10, were nearly forgotten over the years, but I can as easily assure that that will not happen again. There are sorry excuses for humans in every neighborhood, city, and state in the union and the world, and it's up to those like us to stop this insane madness now! We in Charleston and Mount P. have better educated and more professional investigators than ever, and if it's taking what seems to be forever to solve this it's because they want to make sure this does not go unpunished. We used to have an old electric chair here (in Columbia) we dubbed "Ole Sparky" and we weren't afraid to use it. We still believe in punishment fitting of the crime, and who wants to walk into court half prepared, to lose, and lose the ability to later bring charges when definitive proof is found, and I assure you that it will be found. Someone in Santee will continue to talk.

Thanks to all for the kind welcomes! I will post back on anything I hear asap. You guys are great and are helping keep the efforts alive. Many here (in S.C.) don't join up, or post here, but they do read and hear your collective crys for justice. Keep these discussions rolling to remind us of what's important...

greenwar, Welcome to WS! I am so glad you joined us here. It is great having another local from the area.

I sure hope you are correct in that someone in Santee will continue to talk.

Does anyone know if a charred forest inhibits the dogs ability to track human remains?

Also, in other cases here at WS that I have followed, I have learned that it takes ALOT of heat to burn human bones to ash. IDK about a forest fire of this magnitude though.
(UGH I don't even like thinking about it.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was arson in an attempt to cover up evidence since someone is talking. I'll bet there are some nervous perps right now. All JMO tho.

I am hoping that the burn area may turn up some new clues. There will be lots of investigators stomping around the area so just maybe they will stumble upon something.

Hang in there Brittanee! You are one day closer to being found and brought home to your family where you belong. We won't give up until you are found sweetie!

wm

Also praying that this may be a blessing in disguise as greenwar suggested.

Great post and I hope they dust off "old sparky" when they find the perps who hurt our Brittanee

Rochestergirl,

Thanks for the kind welcome. As for locally, there is still no definite cause being voiced. They were supposed to have at least two professional arson investigators on the scene late Thursday or today. Initial radio reports were that due to extremely dry, low humidity, and windy conditions the fire started as a result of someone burining their trash in South Santee. While that may in fact be true, I find it hard to believe that it took so long for someone to dial up 911. Either someone was not paying any attention, or they intentionally wanted it to spread. Charleston County dispensed nearly every truck and firefighter we had to assist and the majority of Mount P. Police left to handle traffic. Locally, someone in one of the Francis Marion Forest towers called in the FIRST 911 call (per local news), and that has to be over 25 or 30 miles away, so it had apparently spread far before 911 was called.

I must agree that although my first impression was that this could be devastating to the search for evidence, this could just as easily, in fact, be one of God's many blessings in disguise. With all of the firefighters on the scene, who knows that it wouldn't have someone turn up a clue or two while covering the wide area monitoring the embers. It is very dry, land windy as of late, so conditions were ideal. If I hear anything, I'll be the first to post it here. LE in general is quite good at keeping everything on the "down-low" until they are certain they have a reasonable assurance in making any official statements and I guess that's a good thing.

Adding to the entire sadness is the fact that the Francis Marion Forest is truly beautiful. In the southern area of Awendaw is a state supported fenced habitat for wolves which are almost extinct here (maybe 20 wild ones left in the state), so if you like canines, these are beautiful animals; breed here to be released back to the wild if possible.

God bless Brittanee and family. I can assure you that as a father, we will not forget and I will do all I can to make sure she returns home. SM and all of the others, maybe more than 10, were nearly forgotten over the years, but I can as easily assure that that will not happen again. There are sorry excuses for humans in every neighborhood, city, and state in the union and the world, and it's up to those like us to stop this insane madness now! We in Charleston and Mount P. have better educated and more professional investigators than ever, and if it's taking what seems to be forever to solve this it's because they want to make sure this does not go unpunished. We used to have an old electric chair here (in Columbia) we dubbed "Ole Sparky" and we weren't afraid to use it. We still believe in punishment fitting of the crime, and who wants to walk into court half prepared, to lose, and lose the ability to later bring charges when definitive proof is found, and I assure you that it will be found. Someone in Santee will continue to talk.

Thanks to all for the kind welcomes! I will post back on anything I hear asap. You guys are great and are helping keep the efforts alive. Many here (in S.C.) don't join up, or post here, but they do read and hear your collective crys for justice. Keep these discussions rolling to remind us of what's important...

Bumping for Brittanee!

Has there been any news on the remains that were recovered and believed to belong to Crystal Soles?

Just looking for anything new. I find it interesting that this huge forest fire occured relatively shortly after that discovery!

Moo

wm

Thanks guys. I appreciate your bumps and I know Britt does too.
Hoping for a better tomorrow.

Just a quick update. No new news here today. As of Saturday evening I did hear that firefighters were still extinguishing embers along U.S. 17 and we also had another good size fire in Dorchester county as well. Fortunately, the good lord sent some rain late Saturday all the way through Monday and that should have put an end to the fires. I remain hopeful that something good will come of this and my prayers are always with Brittanne's family. I'll continue to post anything of importance.

Someone mentioned Crystal, and there's still nothing to say as to identification as of yet. I hear that DNA tests will take a few weeks and must be verified by multiple labs before the Police Chief in Andrews will speak with any certainty. Prayers to her family as well.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1507092.shtml?cat=566

Police investigating Drexel case as a homicide, friends react
Posted at: 04/10/2010 6:36 PM | Updated at: 04/10/2010 7:13 PM
By: Deanna King | WHEC.com

Friends of a missing Chili teenager got the devastating news today. Police now believe Brittanee Drexel is dead.

"It makes it worse knowing that someone actually made the choice to hurt her," said Charlene Capo.

Capo's daughter, Casey, was best friends with Drexel.

Investigators believe the 18-year-old was murdered while on spring break in South Carolina. Capo says her heartaches for Drexel's family....

Steely, are you directing our attention toward something in particular? Has the article been updated?

Steely, are you directing our attention toward something in particular? Has the article been updated?

I only drop in when I find an article about it. It's too frustrating to just wait. If the article has already been posted, sorry.

Someone mentioned Crystal, and there's still nothing to say as to identification as of yet. I hear that DNA tests will take a few weeks and must be verified by multiple labs before the Police Chief in Andrews will speak with any certainty. Prayers to her family as well.

I have been watching for updates on the remains as well. It has been 4 weeks since they were found. I pray there was enough for DNA.

Has there been any news on the remains that were recovered and believed to belong to Crystal Soles?
wm

[respectfully snipped]

I e-mailed Andrews Police Cheif (Jennifer Flowers, IIRC) regarding the remains, have not heard anything yet.

I also keep checking www.namus.gov regularly to see if they have been entered into that database --- have not yet, though...

but all of you know the very moment something is known, myself, or one of the other good people in here will share :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I am going to try to make it up 17 to see the affect of the fires on the francis marion ... might even share some pics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member