Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe that someone either Brittanee met while staying in MB or a total stranger saw her and either offered her a ride or she was forced into a car.

I do believe that the people Brittanee was with were insensitive and mean but until LE has absolute proof that her 'friends' committed a crime against her I'm going to say that they were not involved with her vanishing.

The last thing I want is for her "friends" to be thrown in jail for a crime they did not commit.

I support more the stranger theory than her friends killing her for whatever reason.

I certainly wouldn't want the wrong person in jail for BD's disappearance either. If a crime has been committed I would hope everyone would want the right person held accountable - otherwise what would it solve...

I also believe whatever happened to BD happened at the hands of a "stranger" - at least someone she didn't know well enough to call a friend. I also believe this person had to be local and know the area and possibly would know how LE operates in cases such as this.

That's not a slam on LE... What I mean is that this person would more than likely know that LE would initially believe that BD was a runaway which would buy this person time. They at least knew enough to get rid of a cell phone in an area that would make it hard or impossible to find - buys more time and BD could have been taken in any direction.

IMO whoever did this knew exactly what they were doing and how they were going to do it.

I'm going with a local who either is from MB or is familiar with MB and knows the surrounding areas. MOO (my opinion only)

I just can't get the feeling that the friends know something more out of my head. I am not saying that they necessarily are the perps in this case, but I cannot imagine that they were staying in rooms together, spending time together, and partying together but have NO clue what could have occured. There are any number of scenarios that would have allowed for them to meet up with someone, either a local or a regular visitor, who could be the actual person who did Brittanee harm. I wonder if there could be some underage drinking/ drug use that they do not want to talk about, and they feel like if they tell what they know then THEY will get in trouble. If this is the case, I really wish they would put their big girl panties on and say something. Whatever the case, I believe deep in my heart that , whether or not they know it, the friends there that weekend hold the clue to what happened to Brittanee.

it is very possible that they don't know anything and it is possible that they were drinking and doing drugs, therefore they don't want to say anything for fear they might be accused of doing something to Brittnee.

Then again they very well could be involved.

7 months tomorrow and unfortunately doesn't look like any new leads. I was hoping the People Magazine story would have brought some about. This case seemed to have went cold within a month of Brittanee disappearing. My prayers and with Brittanee and her family.

new-1.jpg

Joined this site for the sole reason of uploading this pic after seeing Brittanee in People.

I hope this is not her, I got it from a bad website. Eye color and hair length don't match, but that can be changed, right?

Will provide more info if you think it's necessary!

Mike

new-1.jpg

Joined this site for the sole reason of uploading this pic after seeing Brittanee in People.

I hope this is not her, I got it from a bad website. Eye color and hair length don't match, but that can be changed, right?

Mike

They do look allot alike but I see a big difference in the nose.

new-1.jpg

Mike

Some what similar but I don't think they look that much alike. Welcome to websleuths.

Happy late Thanksgiving everyone!

I was in South Carolina for the holiday and drove back to Virginia up 95 North, late last night. I got to thinking a lot about Brittanee and all the possible scenario's. Here are some of my observations amd questions....let's generate some new discussion and help to bring her home!

1. 95 is very dark at night! I saw cars and trucks stopped off the road (being a sleuther I notice that stuff) and I could barely recognize the color and make of the vehicles as we zipped by...
2. There are a lot of shopping areas that would have been a pit stop for a perp to gas up, buy equipment (esp. if they needed to bury a body)
3. There are various rest stops all along 95. I didn't notice any cameras, but I did notice that the parking was fairly close.
4. There are obviously many, many adjoining interstates that a perp could have used off 95 to head east toward the ocean or west towards mountains.

I am wondering if:
1. LE has checked credit card and gas reciepts to corroborate the story of PB and crew heading back to Rochester
2. LE has checked security video's at some of those major shopping areas...if someone walked into a store and bought odd items at a late hour, it may give LE a new path to investigate
3. Did anyone out there, driving late at night see any car with NY plates off the road at any point? We paid attention to cars and their plates, you just natuarally do that while driving, especially if you notice someone really speeding, or if you are trying to attach to some fast cars to speed and not get caught, LOL.
4. Have Brittanee's family hung missing posters around the rest areas? I have family in SC and drive 95 fairly often. Seeing a sign for her in a rest area may jog someone's memory!

It was so dark last night, it would be easy to park the car and take off to the wooded areas for quite sometime. And if you head to the ocean or the mountians...someone could find an obscure hiding spot for a body. Also, if she was snatched and pushed into some kind of trafficking (I pray not) she could have been "handed off" at one of the various rest stops or dark gas station areas off 95. Since her phone headed south from Myrtle Beach, then gave it's last ping in Georgetown, it's possible that was a transfer location, and she could have headed North or another direction from there. I think all major interstates and common passengers of those interstates needs to jog their memories in case they remember something!

The media needs to keep her face out there to get people thinking!

it is very possible that they don't know anything and it is possible that they were drinking and doing drugs, therefore they don't want to say anything for fear they might be accused of doing something to Brittnee.

Then again they very well could be involved.

LE has options with them though -they can offer not to prosecute them for charges like harboring/contributing to delinquency of a minor, or drug charges, if they talk. I think it's a card that LE should at least try to play if they a more complete picture of what happened.

new-1.jpg

Mike

Welcome MMarshall:

I think this pic does look like Brittanee.
I would like to see a side by side of
this pic and two or three others of Brittanee.

And I want to say, if you really think this is her, you should be sending any info you have to the police.

MMarshall:
Personally, I am always a little skeptical of a 'surprise' picture of a missing person.
If you found this picture on a human trafficking site, then I urge you to contact LE immediately.
Let the police decide if this is Brittanee or not.

If by some long chance Brittanee is alive and safe, then
she needs to be brought home.

And I have to say, if this is some sort of
photo shopped picture,
then 'whomever'
made it, will likely hear from
the police.

new-1.jpg

Mike

2z3s28x.jpg

I think it is pretty darned close and 100% worth looking into.
Yes the eye color can be changed and so can the hair. Remember WSers BD has alot of pictures of herself and some of them don't look like the most of the images that are being used in her missing posters.

MMarshall:
Personally, I am always a little skeptical of a 'surprise' picture of a missing person.
If you found this picture on a human trafficking site, then I urge you to contact LE immediately.
Let the police decide if this is Brittanee or not.

If by some long chance Brittanee is alive and safe, then
she needs to be brought home.

And I have to say, if this is some sort of
photo shopped picture,
then 'whomever'
made it, will likely hear from
the police.

I agree this image needs to be looked at by LE immediately... its too close of a look a like .. to just ignore .. better safe then sorry.

If the aforementioned photograph is from a human trafficking site, then shouldn't LE be notified anyway? Maybe this poor girl is a kidnapping victim if she is not Brittanee. I think there is some resemblance and in a lot of pictures I've seen of BD, her eyes appear brown and I think it has been discussed early-on that her eyes are being stated to be blue in her posters but they appear brown in some of her pictures. I do agree, though, that her nose appears different.

I think this girl looks only a tad similar to BD... However something looks wrong with this pic to me... The head doesn't look right on the neck.

Still wishing Brittanee home!

Sunday, Dec 6, 2009
Posted on Sun, Dec. 06, 2009
Lost, but never found in South Carolina
By Glenn Smith
The (Charleston) Post and Courier
Dawn Drexel gingerly stepped over mounds of pine needles, gnarled roots and empty beer cans as she ventured into a scrubby patch of woods where searchers looked for her teenage daughter's body.

The team had come up empty, just as they had in similar dark corners tucked away from the bright lights and crowds of this bustling resort city. Still, Drexel needed to see the spot last week, to get a sense of the land and the efforts to find Brittanee.

It's been a daily struggle for Drexel since her 17-year-old daughter disappeared on a trip here in April. The Rochester, N.Y., woman has left her family, work and home for weeks at a time to look for Brittanee. She's unsure what to say when her younger children ask when their sister is coming home. On every trip down U.S. 17, her gaze drifts to the ditches and hollows on the side of the road, looking for a sign.

"It consumes your life, and there are a lot more bad days than good days," Drexel said. "It's always so close to your heart. You just never think your kid will go missing until ithappens to you."

Hundreds of people are reported missing each year in South Carolina, some of the more than 800,000 folks who disappear across the nation. Most are found sooner rather than later, the majority unharmed. Of the 80 people reported missing in Myrtle Beach this year, for example, all but Brittanee have been accounted for, police said. But it is cases such as hers that can haunt family members, investigators and searchers for years.

"It can be very frustrating," Charleston County Sheriff's Maj. John Clark said. "When you sit down and look into the face of a family member who is devastated because someone they love is missing, you can't help but put yourself in their place. It makes you want to work even harder to bring some resolution to them."

Charleston County sheriff's deputies have located all but 12 of the 62 people reported missing to their office since January. But each year, some cases remain stubbornly difficult to solve.

One such case is the disappearance of Theodore Watson, a 46-year-old man whose car was found abandoned near the bridge to Edisto Island in August 2007. The keys were in the ignition, the trunk was open and Washington's wallet was left behind, along with some blood. He hasn't been heard from since.

"We've had no leads to go on," Clark said.

Watson's case joins other perplexing and enduring Lowcountry mysteries, such as the disappearance of 12-year-old Annette Deanne Sagers, who vanished in October 1988 while walking from Mount Holly Plantation to a school bus stop. Or the case of Kevin McClam, a 14-year-old boy who disappeared from the Charleston Naval Weapons Station in 1997.

Such mysteries can be torture for the families of the missing. Just ask Donna Parent, whose daughter, Brandy Hanna, vanished from her apartment in North Charleston on May 2005, leaving her money, her clothes, her entire life, behind.

Each year, Parent holds vigils and birthday celebrations for Brandy, but she is no closer to learning her daughter's fate than she was four years ago.

"One word says it all: Hell," Parent said. "When your child dies, you at least have some type of closure or somewhere you can go to visit them. But when you don't know what happened, it's a never-ending nightmare."

Every so often, a story comes along that brings new hope to families of the missing. Such was the case in 2003 when Elizabeth Smart returned home to her family nine months after her abduction in Salt Lake City. Or Jaycee Dugard, who resurfaced in August in California after being abducted in 1991 at the age of 11.But for every story of hope, there are other tales that end badly, such as the case of 34-year-old Edwina Sims, a Virginia mother of two who disappeared on a trip to Charleston in April 2001. It was three years before she was found slain in a wooded swamp in Berkeley County.

Brittanee Drexel's family hangs on to the hope that she will be found alive, even if that hope is fading with time. Her mother is determined to find her -- one way or another -- and bring her home.

© 2009 TheSunNews.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.thesunnews.com

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=386560

A new tip has reignited the search effort in Georgetown County for missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel who vanished from Ocean Boulevard in April.
While Georgetown County investigators won't elaborate on the new tip, it was enough to bring in cadaver dogs, special dive teams and search crews.
The efforts began Friday when two cadaver dogs from the CUE Center for Missing Persons were brought in to work an area along the North Santee River.
The dogs, specifically trained to detect human remains, spent a couple of hours on and around a 25-foot dock that juts into the river.
Once those dogs were done working, the CUE Center requested a third and fourth cadaver dog to search the same area, but those dogs didn't arrive until Saturday. Myrtle Beach detectives -- the lead agency in the investigation -- also arrived on Saturday.
The second set of dogs searched the same wooded and swampy area but concentrated around the waters of the same dock which sits in an alcove of the river.
The dogs' work produced further developments which prompted police and searchers to request a dive team, CUE Center found Monica Caison said.
Members of the Horry County Fire Rescue's dive team suited up around 10:30 Sunday morning, and the three divers worked for close to four hours.
Around 11:45 a.m., one of the divers found some sort of hard material that piqued interests among the group of searchers and law enforcement.
No one at the scene could definitively classify what it was, but it will be sent to the Medical University of South Carolina on Monday morning to determine if it is a human bone.
The divers called the search for the day around 3:00 Sunday afternoon, but they are scheduled to return Monday morning.
A native of Rochester, NY, Drexel traveled to Myrtle Beach against her parents' wishes and vanished April 25 from Ocean Boulevard.
She was last seen leaving the Blue Water Resort and was reportedly headed back to where she was staying at the Bar Harbor Hotel.
Myrtle Beach detectives tracked Drexel's cell phone signals from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown County in the first days of her disappearance. As previously reported, the cell phone made a bee line from Myrtle Beach to somewhere near the North Santee Community around the hour Drexel was last seen.
A substantial reward is being offered for any information leading to Brittanee, and detectives are asking for the public's help. Anonymous tips can be phoned in to the Myrtle Beach Police tip line at 843-918-1963.
Tips can also be made by calling the CUE Center for Missing Persons at 910-232-1687.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname