SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.

7999BD4A-82BE-478D-ACF2-4A278518B2DB.jpeg

FITSNews sued over mistaken 'person of interest' in Stephen Smith case. 'We apologized.'​

The Alex Murdaugh crime saga has become a tangled web indeed, weaving and interweaving a tight cast of characters into one new storyline after another, and the latest lawsuit adds another strand to this amazing true crime web.

Mark Tinsley, an Allendale attorney who represented several of Murdaugh's victims and gave key testimony during the disbarred Hampton lawyer's 2023 double murder trial, has now filed a lawsuit against a South Carolina media outlet that has covered the Murdaugh crime saga from the beginning — but this suit relates to the ongoinginvestigation into the 2015 death of Stephen Smith.

The personal injury suit was filed by Tinsley and Columbia, S.C., attorney Brendan J. Green on Tuesday, Feb. 6, in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas on behalf of Austin Stanley, a resident of Hampton County, against FITSNews LLC and its founding editor, William William "Will" Folks III.

[…]

View attachment 481610

FITSNews sued over mistaken 'person of interest' in Stephen Smith case. 'We apologized.'​

The Alex Murdaugh crime saga has become a tangled web indeed, weaving and interweaving a tight cast of characters into one new storyline after another, and the latest lawsuit adds another strand to this amazing true crime web.

Mark Tinsley, an Allendale attorney who represented several of Murdaugh's victims and gave key testimony during the disbarred Hampton lawyer's 2023 double murder trial, has now filed a lawsuit against a South Carolina media outlet that has covered the Murdaugh crime saga from the beginning — but this suit relates to the ongoinginvestigation into the 2015 death of Stephen Smith.

The personal injury suit was filed by Tinsley and Columbia, S.C., attorney Brendan J. Green on Tuesday, Feb. 6, in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas on behalf of Austin Stanley, a resident of Hampton County, against FITSNews LLC and its founding editor, William William "Will" Folks III.

[…]
Yes, a little bit of news but not what we need. Even with the attention the case got after the AM trial, it seems like it is cold again. Absent a confession, I'm afaid it will go unsolved. Sad for Sandy and family. I'm not familiar with Austin Stanley and don't read everything FITSNews posts so I don't know what was said about him. With his affair with Nikki Haley, Will has gotten unwelcome notoriety lately, I suppose.

With his affair with Nikki Haley, Will has gotten unwelcome notoriety lately, I suppose.

Seems more welcome than not, he pushed the story from the beginning.

Yes, a little bit of news but not what we need. Even with the attention the case got after the AM trial, it seems like it is cold again. Absent a confession, I'm afaid it will go unsolved. Sad for Sandy and family. I'm not familiar with Austin Stanley and don't read everything FITSNews posts so I don't know what was said about him. With his affair with Nikki Haley, Will has gotten unwelcome notoriety lately, I suppose.
According to the lawsuit, here is what FITS did:

[…]

The FITSNews article and accompanying video included images of Stanley and labeled him as a "prime suspect" in the murder, states Tinsley's civil complaint, "who had absolutely nothing to do with the death of Stephen Smith, who has never been a suspect or person of interest in the death of Stephen Smith and has never been linked to the death of Smith other than falsely by the Defendants and their agents."

The suit further adds that when the April 2023 article was published, and Hampton County residents informed the family about it, Stanley’s mother repeatedly emailed Folks and FITSNEWS and let them know that they made a mistake, and on April 4 Folks responded by email, acknowledging the error, and promised to remove the photo immediately, states the suit.

However, the lawsuit further alleges, despite admitting that their report was false, FITSNews again published Stanley's photo in an Oct. 9, 2023, article and again identified him as a person of interest. This article was also published on other FITSNews outlets, such as social media pages, and its YouTube video received more than 151,000 views, states the suit.

The suit contends that as a result of these false, defamatory, and malicious statements, Stanley has suffered harm, humiliation, and emotional distress and is entitled to actual and punitive damages. Stanley is demanding a jury trial.

[…]

Can someone explain to me why the Satterfield family received NOTHING from the recommended distribution but one of Alex's partners, John Parker, who loaned him just under 1/2 million dollars in 2021 gets 15%? Alex stole millions from the Satterfield family. The law firm is getting 14% since they've paid some of Alex's victims and are to pass through more of this money. The paltry $1.8m in assets they've scrounged together to distribute vs the money he stole and surely has squirreled away somewhere is mind boggling.

Per Remainder of Alex Murdaugh's money divvied up, Satterfield family not set to receive a share:
  • Renee Beach, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Mallory Beach: 29%
  • Arthur Badger, individually and as Personal Representative of the Estate of Donna Badger: 24%
  • John E. Parker: 15%
  • Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Elzroth, and Detrick, P.A. (" PMPED"): 14%
  • Morgan Doughty: 11%
  • Miley Altman: 5%
  • Manuel Santis-Cristiani: 1%
  • Henry Henderson: 0.8%
  • Randy Drawdy: 0.2%
  • Brian Harriott and Michael "Tony" Satterfield: 0%
  • Randolph Murdaugh, IV: 0%
  • Alania Spohn: 0%
  • Eva Mae Marshall: 0%
  • Hannah Plyer: 0%
  • Charles Harley, Personal Representative of Charles Harley, Jr. Estate: 0%

Can someone explain to me why the Satterfield family received NOTHING from the recommended distribution but one of Alex's partners, John Parker, who loaned him just under 1/2 million dollars in 2021 gets 15%? Alex stole millions from the Satterfield family. The law firm is getting 14% since they've paid some of Alex's victims and are to pass through more of this money. The paltry $1.8m in assets they've scrounged together to distribute vs the money he stole and surely has squirreled away somewhere is mind boggling.

Per Remainder of Alex Murdaugh's money divvied up, Satterfield family not set to receive a share:
  • Renee Beach, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Mallory Beach: 29%
  • Arthur Badger, individually and as Personal Representative of the Estate of Donna Badger: 24%
  • John E. Parker: 15%
  • Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Elzroth, and Detrick, P.A. (" PMPED"): 14%
  • Morgan Doughty: 11%
  • Miley Altman: 5%
  • Manuel Santis-Cristiani: 1%
  • Henry Henderson: 0.8%
  • Randy Drawdy: 0.2%
  • Brian Harriott and Michael "Tony" Satterfield: 0%
  • Randolph Murdaugh, IV: 0%
  • Alania Spohn: 0%
  • Eva Mae Marshall: 0%
  • Hannah Plyer: 0%
  • Charles Harley, Personal Representative of Charles Harley, Jr. Estate: 0%
I think the Satterfield sons received money already through the diligence of their attorney Eric Bland. They took a portion of it and started a foundation to honor their mother. The foundation provides gifts to indigent local children at Christmas, Gloria's favorite holiday. MOO.

View attachment 481610

[…]
Oh the Tiger is on another tail, better watch out FITSNews.

Poor Sandy, she just cannot get a break can she? :(

According to the lawsuit, here is what FITS did:

[…]

The FITSNews article and accompanying video included images of Stanley and labeled him as a "prime suspect" in the murder, states Tinsley's civil complaint, "who had absolutely nothing to do with the death of Stephen Smith, who has never been a suspect or person of interest in the death of Stephen Smith and has never been linked to the death of Smith other than falsely by the Defendants and their agents."

The suit further adds that when the April 2023 article was published, and Hampton County residents informed the family about it, Stanley’s mother repeatedly emailed Folks and FITSNEWS and let them know that they made a mistake, and on April 4 Folks responded by email, acknowledging the error, and promised to remove the photo immediately, states the suit.

However, the lawsuit further alleges, despite admitting that their report was false, FITSNews again published Stanley's photo in an Oct. 9, 2023, article and again identified him as a person of interest. This article was also published on other FITSNews outlets, such as social media pages, and its YouTube video received more than 151,000 views, states the suit.

The suit contends that as a result of these false, defamatory, and malicious statements, Stanley has suffered harm, humiliation, and emotional distress and is entitled to actual and punitive damages. Stanley is demanding a jury trial.

[…]

I don't need to know I'm just curious how FITSNews decided to, on what grounds or evidence, print the man's name as a suspect

I think the Satterfield sons received money already through the diligence of their attorney Eric Bland. They took a portion of it and started a foundation to honor their mother. The foundation provides gifts to indigent local children at Christmas, Gloria's favorite holiday. MOO.
Thanks for the update. I guess I thought they had received nothing so far.

Thanks for the update. I guess I thought they had received nothing so far.
After seeing this post on the Satterfield thread, I’m not actually sure I have this all correct now. I know the foundation was set up, but EB has “tweeted” about the 0%. I apologize but confused. See below.
————————-
Sorry I don’t know how to bring this post #218 over here \/ \/

@TheEricBland
It’s inconceivable that the Satterfields received $0 when they have a 4.3 million dollar judgment against #AlexMurdaugh. Our @BlandRichterSC law firm will be filing a motion to reconsider.

—————————
Post #218 in thread 'SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud'
SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

Last edited:
After seeing this post on the Satterfield thread, I’m not actually sure I have this all correct now. I know the foundation was set up, but EB has “tweeted” about the 0%. I apologize but confused. See below.
————————-
Sorry I don’t know how to bring this post #218 over here \/ \/

@TheEricBland
It’s inconceivable that the Satterfields received $0 when they have a 4.3 million dollar judgment against #AlexMurdaugh. Our @BlandRichterSC law firm will be filing a motion to reconsider.

—————————
Post #218 in thread 'SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud'
SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

The Satterfield's have received money, but none directly from Alex Murdaugh's estate.

As of March 2022, however, Bland and Richter said they'd recovered about $7.5 million in total for Satterfield's family through settlements from other parties sued in connection to Gloria's death. That total does not include the $4.3 million from Murdaugh approved most recently by the court.

The $7.5 million they received were from others who either participated in defrauding the brothers or whose negligence allowed the fraud to continue, i.e banks, insurance companies, law firms, etc.

Jerry K. Rivers, a cog in the operation that supplied the convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh with painkillers, was sentenced Jan. 12 to 7 years in prison for his role in the scheme and other crimes investigators uncovered during their probe.

Rivers, of Walterboro, has said he never met Murdaugh, the once-prominent Hampton attorney whose downfall brought him under the microscope of South Carolina’s state grand jury. But prosecutors contend Rivers was an important link in the chain that fed Murdaugh’s opioid addiction, taking money from Murdaugh’s dealer, buying pills from acquaintances with prescriptions and pocketing the rest — sometimes making as much as $40 a dose.

Judge Clifton Newman, who has overseen the broad universe of Murdaugh-related criminal cases, credited Rivers with being forthcoming about what he’d done and having spent more than 200 days in jail already.

At the same hearing, the judge also sentenced Spencer Roberts, another Walterboro man ensnared in the Murdaugh investigation’s dragnet, to 8 years for crimes not directly linked to the Murdaugh scheme. He previously pleaded guilty to fraudulently claiming COVID-19 government aid and unemployment benefits.

But prosecutors disclosed in court that Roberts has also been indicted on allegations of money laundering and drug distribution in connection with the Murdaugh scheme. Those charges are still pending.
According to prosecutor Johnny Ellis James Jr., Rivers cashed his last check from Smith on Sept. 3, 2021, the very same day Murdaugh’s law partners discovered he’d been stealing from clients for years.
With Roberts and Rivers, five people have now been sentenced to prison in connection with state and federal investigations into Murdaugh, the once-prominent and now-disbarred attorney who once practiced a few blocks from the Hampton County Courthouse.

Last edited:

https://twitter.com/CourtTV
#CourtTV - FULL VIDEO HERE:

View attachment 483066

Posted at 3:27 PM, February 13, 2024 and last updated 4:34 PM, February 13, 2024
The last time he will ever get to enjoy being outdoors except for prison yards or times that he is heavily shackled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500