School District offers Family Thousands to keep Autistic student out of school.

Hi, mahouston,

Curious if your son's school has made further offers?
Or any other developments?

:seeya:

This district is known for treating their teachers poorly. Some of the special ed teachers have a suit going against the district, and I know other teachers who have as well. I think that we're very much hearing one side of the story.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news...cle_56f64504-769f-11e3-9336-001a4bcf6878.html
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/02/31534.htm
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/article_540c856c-4b64-11e3-92d1-0019bb30f31a.html

And for somebody who commented that the teacher must have tenure, I've seen tenured teachers fired for less than this- it just takes documentation and paperwork, and proof that what is said to have happened, happened.

I also am curious as to why he was in the school district and not the county program if he was severe enough to be kept in school until 21.

This district is known for treating their teachers poorly. Some of the special ed teachers have a suit going against the district, and I know other teachers who have as well. I think that we're very much hearing one side of the story.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news...cle_56f64504-769f-11e3-9336-001a4bcf6878.html
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/02/31534.htm
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/article_540c856c-4b64-11e3-92d1-0019bb30f31a.html

And for somebody who commented that the teacher must have tenure, I've seen tenured teachers fired for less than this- it just takes documentation and paperwork, and proof that what is said to have happened, happened.

I also am curious as to why he was in the school district and not the county program if he was severe enough to be kept in school until 21.

He is in the sutter county program, that is the program who won't allow him to go to school with a private duty nurse. Yuba City. Unified is is home school of record but he has never been mainstreamed. There are three eye witnesses to the teachers abuse and more employees to the discrimination, retaliation and denial of FAPE. None of these violations of law were witnessed by the parents, it was all reported and seen by District and County employees.

Mahouston69, it would help me enormously if I understood WHY the school objects to David's presence. (As I said above, I feel the opposite: his presence in the classroom is a great lesson in diversity--tolerance of which our public schools should be teaching.) After all, you are supplying the supervising nurse, if I understand correctly.

I realize it isn't entirely fair to ask you to speak for the school system, so I'm only asking what they have said. If you think there is a hidden agenda, I'd be happy to hear that, too.

So I guess I'm asking, "Why do they SAY they are willing to pay $86K to keep David out of a room?" And what do you believe their real motivation is?

In hopes I would Accept it, sign a bunch of releases and not file charges with the DA, take them into district court for abuse and neglect, discrimination. They denied him all related educational services like speech and language, including any means of communication by sign, technology or PECS for 17 years. They've warehoused him and there was no need for it. In three months from them having him paint rocks and refusing to give him a voice, now home with me...he does this : http://youtu.be/Hf9BJecusdY

He is in the sutter county program, that is the program who won't allow him to go to school with a private duty nurse. Yuba City. Unified is is home school of record but he has never been mainstreamed. There are three eye witnesses to the teachers abuse and more employees to the discrimination, retaliation and denial of FAPE. None of these violations of law were witnessed by the parents, it was all reported and seen by District and County employees.

If it was the County program, why are the issues with the district? I'm glad the District employees reported it.

If it was the County program, why are the issues with the district? I'm glad the District employees reported it.

The YCUSD district is responsible for his education under IDEA as his Home school of record and even tho they farm out all non verbal, autistic, medically fragile students out to the County special education program they are still financially and legally responsible for his education.

This truly disgusts me. Well done to you for teaching David to communicate, you are his voice and you are shouting loud for him, don't stop. I enjoyed your videos and hope David continues to succeed with your love and commitment to him.

It's sad to me to see and read so many people struggling with school systems to get what they need for their children. My son has had every door opened wide for him here in MA, there have been issues but we are extremely blessed. He was given EI from 16 months and went from a silent boy that didn't care to engage with us to a boy that is catching up and learning new things every day, i get a kiss each day and i am humbled to watch him on his journey. I am so sorry this is not the Norm across the country. More and more kids are being diagnosed each year, States need to get in early and help these kids. Ignoring an issue early on just creates a bigger one down the line. Good luck on your journey and well done for not selling away his rights.

This truly disgusts me. Well done to you for teaching David to communicate, you are his voice and you are shouting loud for him, don't stop. I enjoyed your videos and hope David continues to succeed with your love and commitment to him.

It's sad to me to see and read so many people struggling with school systems to get what they need for their children. My son has had every door opened wide for him here in MA, there have been issues but we are extremely blessed. He was given EI from 16 months and went from a silent boy that didn't care to engage with us to a boy that is catching up and learning new things every day, i get a kiss each day and i am humbled to watch him on his journey. I am so sorry this is not the Norm across the country. More and more kids are being diagnosed each year, States need to get in early and help these kids. Ignoring an issue early on just creates a bigger one down the line. Good luck on your journey and well done for not selling away his rights.

It thrills me to read about good care and services for our kids! Fantastic! ;)

In hopes I would Accept it, sign a bunch of releases and not file charges with the DA, take them into district court for abuse and neglect, discrimination.

I think what Nova was asking is WHY did they want him out of the school? Surely there are plenty of other autistic kids in that school district and they aren't offering the parents nearly a hundred grand to get them out just because they don't like autism.

What reasons did the school give for not wanting him there anymore?

BBM.

It would help me to understand more about the situation with the nurse. Is this a central part of the dispute, or a side issue?

Do other special needs children have private duty nurses that are not paid or employed by the school district? (ie, paid for by the families?)

I have read that the specific nurse the mother prefers to have care for her son used to be employed by the school district, but was fired. Because of that situation, I can see why the district would not want that individual providing care on school grounds as a private duty nurse. (Even if there is a dispute over the appropriateness of the firing, which would be up to the nurse to pursue.)

Did the school offer to provide another qualified nurse?

Did the family offer to provide a different qualified nurse?

Is there a dispute by the school that he needs a dedicated nurse with him at school?

I understand that the mother believes that the current nurse is very good with her son, understands his particular way of communicating, and the mom wants her to continue to provide care. I'm sure the nurse is very good with her son, and the son trusts her. She could continue to care for him during non-school hours, and use a different nurse during school hours, right?

I can also understand that there is more than one licensed nurse who is qualified and able to provide supervision for his needs. What if the preferred nurse gets sick? Or has to take time off? It's always a good idea to have several providers, to make sure there is always someone available.

Other than the fact that this particular nurse was fired, and isn't welcome, is there a dispute about bringing in other nurses? Or just this one particular nurse?

Mahouston69, it would help me enormously if I understood WHY the school objects to David's presence. (As I said above, I feel the opposite: his presence in the classroom is a great lesson in diversity--tolerance of which our public schools should be teaching.) After all, you are supplying the supervising nurse, if I understand correctly.

I realize it isn't entirely fair to ask you to speak for the school system, so I'm only asking what they have said. If you think there is a hidden agenda, I'd be happy to hear that, too.

So I guess I'm asking, "Why do they SAY they are willing to pay $86K to keep David out of a room?" And what do you believe their real motivation is?

It would also help me to understand better if we knew what the official reason is why the school wants to stop providing extended services until the age of 22 for this young man? There are 2 sides to every dispute—and to fight a good fight, you have to understand “your enemy”.

Is the right to extended services to age 22 universal, or are there certain criteria or contingencies written into law for services beyond age 20?

Was there a “new” situation that arose, or was discovered, where the district was no longer required to provide services to age 22 for this student?

I guess I would see the whole situation much differently if the child was under age 18, and not a young man of 22. In fact, when I read the headline, I assumed it was a young child that was being denied services—that is what caught my attention. This young man certainly has very extensive needs that will continue throughout his life, and that he should have. But at age 22, it seems to me he has aged out, and that the school district has provided about 17 (or more) years of services for this young man. There has to be an official reason that the school district would offer money to the family. Schools don’t have thousands of extra dollars in their budgets.

I’m wondering if there is a law or policy that allows the school to stop extended services in certain situations, and the money offered was within a policy that allows the districts to “pay out” the last year or so? I really would be interested in hearing more about how the money offer came about—the school’s rationale.

This young man should be eligible for lots of services outside of the school district that should be more appropriate for a young man of 22. Such as potential vocational training, social services, group home living, etc. And it sounds like he is thriving at home, and that it may not be a good situation to return him to the school district for only a couple of weeks or months.

Believe me, I understand the anger and indignation—I have been there with a learning disability issue for one of my daughters, though not in a situation as complex as this.

I’m trying to understand all of the issues, from both sides.

One more question.

Was David eligible to remain in the county program with a different source other than the school district being the payor? Another agency?

Is the dispute over his age? The payor source? Or eligibility for the program? Or a combination?

I am also curious as to why they are willing to pay so much. Was it only after he got older? When I was in high school ( I was 15,) there was a 19 year old severely autistic boy. I was walking down the hallway one day, and passed by him, his nurse, and another girl and her nurse. With no provocation, he slammed me against the locker and spit on me. I know that the parents protested the district and board HARD, when they sought to remove him from public school. (I will admit, my family pressed and fought for him to be removed. I have no discrimination against any kind of special need, but I was assaulted in school and I was scared.) Now, I am NOT saying your son is a problem or your fight is contrived. I am curious about their reasoning, is all. Are they trying to remove other autistic students? Has he ever harmed anyone or himself? I'm not suggestion anything about your son, I'm just so baffled by this situation!

I have the third day of a four day due process educational hearing ( no money damages) don't want money. Got to grab some sleep now.

I'll answer questions tomorrow evening :)

http://www.nacbhdd.org/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?mode=article&id=49827

Feb. 10--The mother of an autistic student in Yuba City said all she wants is an appropriate education for her son, which she believes has been denied by the school district.

But, according to the district's lawyer, the main thing preventing David Swanson from attending school is his mother's refusal to sign a medical waiver.

snip

Through the hearing process, there is no monetary remedy or benefit; rather, the remedy is education-based.

Houston said she hopes the judge will order one year of compensatory education for her son, to make up for the year of school he has missed.

"I'm hoping the judge will order a private placement at district expense until he turns 23," Houston said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back