Seaching for Anna - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to make a nifty google map showing the relationship between Brody's Hotel, Wanek's Health Studio and Waters Hotel, but it seems to be beyond my technical expertise. Here are the addresses if someone wants to create something that can be posted here:

Brody's Hotel - 1156 Sutter Street
Wanek's studio - 967 Sutter Street
Water's Hotel - 630 Geary Street

These are all San Francisco addresses.

The reason that this is so important is because if we can establish that the two Georges knew Wanek prior to January 1973, then that opens the possibility of her involvement. The fact that she was someone who Waters spoke to for 39 minutes two days after Brody died shows that she was someone important to them both.

And I want to keep mentioning it because I believe that this is important: Waters was using the alias of George Wolf (or Wolfe) in his relationship with her. WHY??? Evidently, he felt the need to hide his identity from this woman. It could have been just the result of his crazy paranoia or it could be that he had a logical reason to give this woman a false name. One thing that this means is that she could not have met Waters through his work since he would not have been able to use an alias at work (where his true name was known).

MORE PURE SPECULATION: Could there have been a "George Wolf" who had a daughter about Anna's age? Could Waters have assumed his identity to create a "reason" why he would pass off a daughter to Wanek? Perhaps the real Wolf's wife had recently died and that would create a plausible reason to create an adoption situation? Have I been watching too many mystery shows on TV and have I gone insane? :waitasec:

And I want to keep mentioning it because I believe that this is important: Waters was using the alias of George Wolf (or Wolfe) in his relationship with her. WHY??? Evidently, he felt the need to hide his identity from this woman. It could have been just the result of his crazy paranoia or it could be that he had a logical reason to give this woman a false name. One thing that this means is that she could not have met Waters through his work since he would not have been able to use an alias at work (where his true name was known).

If he went by George Wolfe (with an e) maybe its to be a numerologic 27 like Brody?
Everytime I learn something new about the two Georges I just want to :banghead: Nothing makes sense!

On Dec. 26, 1981, two days after Brody died, GW made a 39-minute call to Pacifica (355-6185. At that time I think the area code would have been 415. Joe called this number Jan. 29, 1982, and found that it was a health studio. A woman named Evelyn Wanick (spelling?) answered. She knew George Brody as Brody, but GW as "Jack Wolf". Joe's notes say "colon therapy, massage therapy".

I just wanted to repost this from Annasmom. She said Evelyn knew him as JACK Wolf. (and in another post possibly Wolfe) Was this a type-o?

I tried to make a nifty google map showing the relationship between Brody's Hotel, Wanek's Health Studio and Waters Hotel, but it seems to be beyond my technical expertise. Here are the addresses if someone wants to create something that can be posted here:

Brody's Hotel - 1156 Sutter Street
Wanek's studio - 967 Sutter Street
Water's Hotel - 630 Geary Street

These are all San Francisco addresses.

The reason that this is so important is because if we can establish that the two Georges knew Wanek prior to January 1973, then that opens the possibility of her involvement. The fact that she was someone who Waters spoke to for 39 minutes two days after Brody died shows that she was someone important to them both.

MORE PURE SPECULATION: Could there have been a "George Wolf" who had a daughter about Anna's age? Could Waters have assumed his identity to create a "reason" why he would pass off a daughter to Wanek? Perhaps the real Wolf's wife had recently died and that would create a plausible reason to create an adoption situation? Have I been watching too many mystery shows on TV and have I gone insane? :waitasec:

Here you go!

sanfran.jpg

Interestedwoman Thank you for pointing out Jack!

MagicRose99 Thank you for posting the map! It gives a better understanding of how close together those places were!

I was looking for information on "George Brody" and there was a Broadway play starting Nov 1931 Ending Jan 1932. It was called "Louder Please" and there was a character in the play named George Brody. Perhaps, our GB was inspired by this character? I have no idea what the play was all about. I thought I'd post it on here in case there is any connection.

I just wanted to repost this from Annasmom. She said Evelyn knew him as JACK Wolf. (and in another post possibly Wolfe) Was this a type-o?
Joe's notes said Jack Wolf, but this was based on a phone conversation with Evelyn, so it could have been spelled Wolfe. GW gave his name at their last hotel as "Walters"...lots of swings and roundabouts. I am wondering if there's any connection between Evelyn and Margaret Kukoda. Was Kukoda her married name? I'll have to look in the (huge) files, but it seems to me that there was a husband in the old city directories at some point. We have several old S.F. addresses for Margaret before she and Brody moved in together.

Interestedwoman Can you do me a huge favor please? You have access to the SF telephone directory of 1970? Can you check to see if there is a Jack Wolf listed and see what the address is. Thank you!

I found a Jack Marshall Wolf on the worldconnect website. He was the only Jack Wolf who lived in CA that popped up and he was born in SF. He died in 1993. I wonder if there was any connection between the two Georges and the real Jack Wolf?

How far back did Joe Ford start collecting Phone Numbers? Evelyn's 1970 number was 673-5881. Something I just found interesting that I didn't notice before is right below Evelyn's name is a man by the name of Joe Wanek. He lived at 1122 Sutter. So he was just a hop away from Brody. Hopefully this attachment works. I've been having 'puter problems

Attachments

• evelynwanek.jpg
    evelynwanek.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 121
Interestedwoman Can you do me a huge favor please? You have access to the SF telephone directory of 1970? Can you check to see if there is a Jack Wolf listed and see what the address is. Thank you!

I found a Jack Marshall Wolf on the worldconnect website. He was the only Jack Wolf who lived in CA that popped up and he was born in SF. He died in 1993. I wonder if there was any connection between the two Georges and the real Jack Wolf?

Hold on, There are a few, but for some reason I have to down load, print, scan and then up-load

My thoughts on Evelyn Wanek...

I have a feeling that she is related somehow to GB. Perhaps a sister? With Evelyn having a birth of early 1900's, the age would be about right. Usually the first phone calls are made to the family of the deceased. GB died on Thursday, Dec. 24, no calls were reported until Saturday, Dec. 26. Maybe GW did not want to ruin Evelyn's Christmas and decided to wait till the day after to make the phone call. Does anyone have any marriage record for Evelyn, her maiden name could be that of Brody. There is also a John Wanek listed in CA unclaimed property.

My thoughts on Evelyn Wanek...

I have a feeling that she is related somehow to GB. Perhaps a sister? With Evelyn having a birth of early 1900's, the age would be about right. Usually the first phone calls are made to the family of the deceased. GB died on Thursday, Dec. 24, no calls were reported until Saturday, Dec. 26. Maybe GW did not want to ruin Evelyn's Christmas and decided to wait till the day after to make the phone call. Does anyone have any marriage record for Evelyn, her maiden name could be that of Brody. There is also a John Wanek listed in CA unclaimed property.

I remembered something and didn't connect it. Evelyn's Father was Joseph, and her mother Barbara. I have found a death record for several family mambers in CA. So the Joe in the SFCA directory could be her father...In the 1910 thru 1930 census records they lived in ND. (Farmers) According to the 1930 census, there where only 3 girls born into the family.
Florence b. 1905
Evelyn b. 1906
Loretta b. 1911
There where no boys...BUT, it appears that Barbara's Brother (Evelyn's uncle) lived with them for quite some time. (He was b. 1883). His name was Nick Bert Matuska. It appears he got married to a Wilma and had several children. His death records say he died in 3-1965 in MN

Here you go GraceBlue. You will need to magnify, (to about 400%) I'm sure. I really couldn't crop the page much, so to get all the Wolf(e)(ff) names.

The Jack Wolf Youth Center is interesting

Attachments

• 11-08-2007 08;05;06AM.JPG
    11-08-2007 08;05;06AM.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 106
On the phone book page that shows Evelyn's health studio, there is a Joe Wanek who lives at 1122 Sutter - next door to where Brody lived in 1970. If there is any relationship between Joe and Evelyn, this would increase the odds that Evelyn and Brody knew each other in 1970. That there are only two Waneks listed in SF (the third Wanek is in Daly City) and they are listed as only two blocks apart - that seems to imply a connection to me.

Thank you so much Interestedwoman! Hm wonder what the youth center was all about.

On the phone book page that shows Evelyn's health studio, there is a Joe Wanek who lives at 1122 Sutter - next door to where Brody lived in 1970. If there is any relationship between Joe and Evelyn, this would increase the odds that Evelyn and Brody knew each other in 1970. That there are only two Waneks listed in SF (the third Wanek is in Daly City) and they are listed as only two blocks apart - that seems to imply a connection to me.

You must have missed my post...Evelyn's father was named Joseph M. Wanek
I'm positive this is him

Joe M. Wanek
SSN:
Last Residence:94109 San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
Born:27 Jan 1873
Died:15 Apr 1972
SSN issued:Minnesota (Before 1951 )

Her Mother
Barbara Wanek
Social Security #:
Sex:FEMALE
Birth Date:30 Nov 1881
Birthplace:North Dakota
Death Date:27 Jun 1983
Death Place:San Francisco

You must have missed my post...Evelyn's father was named Joseph M. Wanek
I'm positive this is him

I saw it, but it didn't click. Sorry.

It does look like this was her father. I think enough "coincidences" exist to think that the assumption that Brody and Evelyn knew each other in 1970 is valid. Which means that they knew each other in January of 1973, which opens up all sorts of possibilities... :waitasec:

BTW: Thanks to everyone's contribution here in the last couple of days. You have all been uncovering some great stuff. Well done! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennyboo