Sean Penn is such a tool

dakini said:
I don't believe criticizing others leads to happiness.
Then stop criticizing the posters who think Sean Penn is an idiot :silenced:

I'm with DK on this one, Sean Penn is an idiot to be on an overcrowded boat, bailing with his red cup while his photographer snaps pics for Variety.

Olivia77 said:
I don't know why this thread isn't in the PP. Who cares what he's up to unless it's because you disagree with his political views and want to bag on him for that. Why is he such a dark character? Is he a murderer? Child molestor? Thief? I don't know much about him other than I Am Sam was a great movie. :) I'm off to google his name and see what I find.
Here, I'll help ya here:

Sean Penn (born August 17, 1960 in Santa Monica, California) is an American film actor. Penn is the son of the late Jewish director Leo Penn (who was blacklisted during McCarthyism for refusing to testify) and Irish-Italian Catholic actress, Eileen Ryan. He has two brothers: actor Chris Penn and musician Michael Penn.

Penn launched his career in the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High in the role of Jeff Spicoli, and has since starred in over 40 movies and won an Oscar for Mystic River. He has also been nominated for three other Academy Awards for his roles in the films I Am Sam, Sweet and Lowdown and Dead Man Walking.

In 1991, Penn made his directorial debut with The Indian Runner, a film based on Bruce Springsteen's song Highway Patrolman from the Nebraska (album). He has since directed two more films, both starring Jack Nicholson, The Crossing Guard in 1995 and The Pledge in 2001.

Penn's personal life has been a volatile one. He married pop star Madonna in 1985, a relationship marred by violent outbursts against the press intrusion into his life, including one incident for which he was arrested. After a divorce in 1989, Penn started a relationship with Robin Wright, with whom he had two children before marrying her in 1996.

On October 18, 2002, Penn placed a $56,000 advertisement in the Washington Post asking President George W. Bush to end a cycle of violence. It was written as an open letter and referred to the planned attack on Iraq and the War on Terror. In the letter, Penn also criticized the Bush administration for its "deconstruction of civil liberties" and its "simplistic and inflammatory view of good and evil." Penn visited Iraq briefly in December 2002, largely eschewing meetings with the press.

On April 10, 2003, Penn's limited-edition 1987 Buick Grand National, with two firearms in the trunk, was stolen in Berkeley, California. Penn came under criticism that his gas-guzzling car and gun ownership did not jibe with his advocacy of liberal causes.

On June 10, 2005, Penn made an unexpected visit to Iran and attended Friday praying ceremony in Tehran University, acting as a journalist on an assignment for the San Francisco Chronicle. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Penn#External_links

Mygirlsadie said:
He wasnt trying to help. You don't bring your very own personal photographer when all you want to do is help. He was unprepared to help but he was prepared enough to have his photographer to make sure the world saw what a great caring helping guy he is. Not buying it. He was there for personal gain.

Perhaps Mr. Penn was taking rescue lessons from President Bush. :rolleyes:

Uh, pardon me, but maybe the photographer was along to document the terrible conditions. If it weren't for photographers, the people of NO would still be waiting for GWB to finish playing his guitar.

Sean Penn has not been one to invite idle publicity. In general, his has been an under-the-radar career relative to what he might have had. In fact, Penn is rather well known for his avoidance of "photo ops" and paparazzi.

Too bad his relief effort wasn't successful. Perhaps his seamanship could be improved. [Edited to add I now see reports that say he was successful to some extent - so there's even less reason to criticize him.]

The rest of the attacks on Penn here are nonsense, prompted by God only knows what. (It can't be that folks resent Penn's criticism of the War in Iraq. Because he was right about that.)

Nova said:
The rest of the attacks on Penn here are nonsense, prompted by God only knows what.
In my case they are prompted by the fact the city is under manditory evacuation and the rescue workers are in there getting people out.

I don't think civilians are supposed to be going in - in little rickety boats (with personal phtographers) incase they become victims themselves and hamper the rescue efforts.

Casshew said:
I don't think civilians are supposed to be going in - in little rickety boats (with personal phtographers) incase they become victims themselves and hamper the rescue efforts.
Don't forget the guy who was driving the little rickety boat, along with the photographer........wonder which one of them was going to do the rescuing if none of them could remember to put the plug in the boat :bang:

Casshew said:
In my case they are prompted by the fact the city is under manditory evacuation and the rescue workers are in there getting people out.

Casshew, if your argument was that Sean Penn was foolish, I can't really argue. But there has been a lot of coverage of government ineptitude and the relatively better results of private citizens pitching in to help. (In fact, some here have been arguing bitterly that citizens should "do something" rather than criticize government efforts.)

I was responding to the numerous characterizations of Penn as "dark" and self-serving. That he was unsuccessful is unfortunate, but it doesn't make him ignoble.

If Mr. Penn succeeded in rescuing anyone, or if that photog wasn't his personal photog but a journalist (and not used for political propaganda then I apologize for calling Mr. Penn a "tool" based on that one report. But I see nothing wrong with discussing anyone using this disaster for the wrong reasons, including Bush, etc. FWIW-I think Penn is a brilliant actor, without question. But I don't care about that. :)

less0305 said:
If he had saved a child, that would have been great. I have the same question about all this glorifying of the reporters who cried beside dying people. I just can't imagine a grown man with a van or boat or motorcoach or satellite truck crying over a dying baby and NOT picking it up and putting it into whatever means of transportation he had and getting out of there to somewhere he could find a doctor to help it. People were outraged that a national guardsman was dragging a dog by a leash - nobody was outraged that Geraldo or whoever else reported on but didn't take a dying person into their own able and capable transportation and try to get them somewhere where there was a doctor. I'm hoping someone can explain that to me.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Because then there wouldn't be a story. Think how many sick and dying could have been put in each van. Times that by the number of news agencies, then times that by the number of days, and you get a few hundred that could have been saved, or saved sooner.
But then there wouldn't be a story.

Sean Penn is a :loser: :loser: .

I saw the reporters for CBS News found a guy padding an inflateable raft and tossed him a line from their boat and towed him somewhere.

KrazyKollector said:
Because then there wouldn't be a story. Think how many sick and dying could have been put in each van. Times that by the number of news agencies, then times that by the number of days, and you get a few hundred that could have been saved, or saved sooner.
But then there wouldn't be a story.

There would have been "no story" if the news media had saved a fraction of the people who were suffering?

So, now it's the news media's fault. I think you need to call and tell Chertoff that. He left them off his ever-growing list.

Tom'sGirl said:
NOW THIS DELIGHTED & SATISFIED ME! If a businessman can do this, why couldn't Bad Boy Sean with his bucks have done this? For that matter, how come a lot of people with bucks haven't done this?

<DIV> NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 5, 2005 — Fed up with what he says is the government's slow response in rescuing residents along the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, a California businessman is taking action.

Over the weekend, David Perez launched an effort to evacuate New Orleans — on his own. Using $200,000, Perez chartered a Boeing 737. Upon landing in Louisiana, he unloaded much-needed supplies he had purchased at a local Costco and later reloaded the plane with 86 weary hurricane victims. if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1) { document.write("<div style=\"float:left;\">"); } else if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mozilla") > -1) { document.write(""); }

SNIP:
"These people need to have their kids in school and get their feet back on the ground," Perez said. "They have gone through devastation."
The group headed to San Diego, where Perez has organized a contingent of local families to open up their hearts and homes as temporary shelters.

Perez was there for every step of the journey, handing out boarding passes and helping with luggage. When the plane touched down in San Diego, tears of devastation finally turned to tears of joy.

[url="http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1098419&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312"]http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1098419&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312[/url]
WOW! He gets Kudos from me!! And I send him :blowkiss: :blowkiss: !
I am truly impressed!

Nova said:
I was responding to the numerous characterizations of Penn as "dark" and self-serving. That he was unsuccessful is unfortunate, but it doesn't make him ignoble.

Yes, I feel he is self-serving!

As per Encarta:
lacking consideration of others: putting personal concerns and interests before those of others

less0305 said:
How did the idea come that he was there to rescue people? Did he make it known he was going to be rescuing people? Or was that the assumption by whomever took the photos and such? Because my first thought was he was probably there to do a documentary since he's a movie director.
He was probably getting a scope of the scene for his next movie.
I can just see him making a movie over it too.

He is just a poser. :doh:

Olivia77 said:
I don't know why this thread isn't in the PP. Who cares what he's up to unless it's because you disagree with his political views and want to bag on him for that. Why is he such a dark character? Is he a murderer? Child molestor? Thief? I don't know much about him other than I Am Sam was a great movie. :) I'm off to google his name and see what I find.
If I recall correctly, I believe he's a woman beater and has a rather violent streak. Doesn't he?

KrazyKollector said:
WOW! He gets Kudos from me!! And I send him :blowkiss: :blowkiss: !
I am truly impressed!
Cool wasn't it? Did you read the entire article, I hope he gets some of that money from his area.

Linda7NJ said:
If I recall correctly, I believe he's a woman beater and has a rather violent streak. Doesn't he?
He has a very dark side to him. Have you ever seen him on a personal interview? He chain smokes through the entire thing without ever breaking a grin.

Ahhh yes, Method Actors!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back