??search Efforts For Maddy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/about/

About Madeleine McCann

Madeleine McCann was born 4 years ago. She has one brother Sean and a sister Amelie. She lives with her family in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Her father comes from Glasgow and has 3 sisters, Patricia, Jacqueline and Phil, and a brother John. Madeleine's Grandmother, Eileen lives in Glasgow. Her other grandparents, Sue and Brian live in Liverpool.

Both sides of the family are very close and all are working in different ways to try and help in the search for Madeleine.

Phil, who resides in Ullapool and is a teacher, has asked that the heartfelt thanks of the whole family be passed to everyone who has helped in the search so far. She said "There have been so many messages of support and prayers from people all over the world. We (the family) are overwhelmed with your assistance. The media people have been wonderful and so helpful in making everyone aware of our plight. Madeleine’s family are so grateful to you all. Please keep Madeleine in your thoughts and prayers. We pray that she will be returned to us safe and well."

Well, lets see...Doesn't look to me like they are searching much...or even care to give out any real information.

I'm sure this has been rehashed a million times but I don't have time to read every post here...but WHY won't the McCann's give out more information on Maddie???

How tall is she?
How much does she weigh?
Is she bilingle...does she speak well at all?
What in the world is this above referenced post all about? It says it's about Madeleine, but all it really says about her is that she is 4 years old...

It talks about her father and his siblings and grandparents, but never mentions her mother? WTF??? This is so nuts!

I too am dismayed on the lack of searching on the parts of the parents. I do not care what country I was in no one could keep me for seraching for my child in some capacity. If I had to just hike all day long with a walking stick I would be doing that. No one can stop a person from hiking. I just could not not search. It does not compute rin my brain that parents would not be putting much more effort into a search effort of some sort.

mjak

Well, lets see...Doesn't look to me like they are searching much...or even care to give out any real information.

I'm sure this has been rehashed a million times but I don't have time to read every post here...but WHY won't the McCann's give out more information on Maddie???

How tall is she?
How much does she weigh?
Is she bilingle...does she speak well at all?
What in the world is this above referenced post all about? It says it's about Madeleine, but all it really says about her is that she is 4 years old...

It talks about her father and his siblings and grandparents, but never mentions her mother? WTF??? This is so nuts!

Maybe they were too busy being media persons that they forgot the important things.

That is very odd to me that it does not give more information on Maddie, AND you are correct ... Kate is not mentioned. Odd, to say the least.

So, WHO is handling the FUND ? I just assumed it was Kate and Gerry. Today was the first time I have actually visited the site. I stumbled across this ..... (perhaps it's being discussed somewhere on another thread).

http://www.findmadeleine.com/fund/
The Fund would like to thank everyone for their kindness, support and generosity.
Madeleine’s Fund was set up to:
  1. Find Madeleine;
  2. Support the Family; and
  3. Bring the abductor or abductors to justice
and subject to that to help other missing children.

With the sudden dramatic and unexpected turn of events at the weekend the directors had to consider whether legal defence costs could be paid for by the Fund.

The Board has taken advice from Bates Wells & Braithwaite London LLP and Christopher McCall QC. The Board has been advised that payment of Gerry and Kate’s legal defence costs would be legally permissible subject to conditions about repayment in the event of a guilty conviction.

The directors of the Fund discussed this today. The two family directors, Brian Kennedy and John McCann withdrew from the meeting when the decision was made. Esther Mcvey chaired the meeting.

The Fund directors realise that there is not only a legal answer and recognise the spirit which underlies the generous donations to Madeleine’s Fund, which it is the directors’ responsibility to steer.

For this reason the Fund directors have decided not to pay for Gerry and Kate’s legal defence costs. We stress that Gerry and Kate have not asked for these costs to be paid. However, people have already called in offering their financial support. Any such fund to pay legal defence costs would have to be separately set up and administered.

At the heart of this campaign and Fund is a little girl confused, lonely and in need of her parents. This Fund’s money will be focused on finding that little girl and leaving no stone unturned.

12 September 2007
So, the 2 family members left the meeting when the remainder of the Board didn't vote to pay the legal expenses ? I am not sure they actually were able to vote.

Those directors who are members of Madeleine’s family cannot vote in discussions relating to payments to family members.

This is the list of the Board:

Peter Hubner; a retired consultant;
Brian Kennedy, a retired head teacher;
John McCann, a medical representative;
Esther McVey, managing director of a public relations & communications company;
Doug Skehan, clinical director in cardiology at Glenfield Hospital;
Philip Tomlinson, a retired solicitor and former coroner in Leicestershire;
Michael Linnett, a retired accountant

Another thing that has struck me oddly is this:

As at the end of July 2007, only a small proportion of the money raised has been spent. This has been on awareness raising items e.g. wristbands, website, family expenses and professional fees, including concerning international law on child abduction and the costs of setting up the Fund. The directors are considering the future strategy of the Fund to ensure effective use of funds.

How LONG do you wait to spend funds to find a child ?

I know this is a real "threadjack" here, so if I have overlooked another thread, please let me know.

WHY is Kate not mentioned ?? That is just so very odd to me.

That is very odd to me that it does not give more information on Maddie, AND you are correct ... Kate is not mentioned. Odd, to say the least.

So, WHO is handling the FUND ? I just assumed it was Kate and Gerry. Today was the first time I have actually visited the site. I stumbled across this ..... (perhaps it's being discussed somewhere on another thread).

So, the 2 family members left the meeting when the remainder of the Board didn't vote to pay the legal expenses ? I am not sure they actually were able to vote.

Those directors who are members of Madeleine’s family cannot vote in discussions relating to payments to family members.

This is the list of the Board:

Peter Hubner; a retired consultant;
Brian Kennedy, a retired head teacher;
John McCann, a medical representative;
Esther McVey, managing director of a public relations & communications company;
Doug Skehan, clinical director in cardiology at Glenfield Hospital;
Philip Tomlinson, a retired solicitor and former coroner in Leicestershire;
Michael Linnett, a retired accountant

Yes, the fund is handled by both friends and relatives of the Mc Canns.

How LONG do you wait to spend funds to find a child ? .

That's the million dollar question some sane souls are asking!!!!!!!

Thanks Sleuth. You know I am still on the fence, but I gotta do my homework.

Another thing that has struck me oddly is this:

As at the end of July 2007, only a small proportion of the money raised has been spent. This has been on awareness raising items e.g. wristbands, website, family expenses and professional fees, including concerning international law on child abduction and the costs of setting up the Fund. The directors are considering the future strategy of the Fund to ensure effective use of funds.

How LONG do you wait to spend funds to find a child ?

Apparently until the parents are named suspects. There is a new advertising campaign, started the week after K&G were named suspects, to find Maddie. They are going to spend $160,000 pounds I think. I'm sure there is a link in the media thread.

Salem

I like the court appointed unbiased authority idea, but what court and who? I thought of Tim Miller right away myself for a lone type pedophile abduction if that's what's involved. We know in cases like that the victims are said to be killed within the first few hours. Tim Miller starts with the place of disappearance and works his grid out so I would like to see that done. There's no political or monetary motivations there we can be sure. Port LE's dogs if good imo had the leg up because they were brought to the scene early on even if not as good as British dogs brought in 3 months later. Good place to start. Take some luminol to Portugal also since they might not have it.

Again we have the strict laws, politics, tourism economy, LE reputations, human trafficking, ocean, etc. barriers just like NH's case.

The McCanns contacted the police 40-50 minutes after Kate returned to the Tapas bar. The local police called in the PJ who arrived around midnight. By then the McCanns had roused the resort managers as well as neighbors who began looking for Madeleine around Ocean Club and Praia da Luz. Supposedly the McCanns' friends didn't help, and Kate stayed with the twins while Gerry called for her along the cliffs and on the beach. The formal search, carried out by the police and including firemen, mariners and search helicopters lasted for several days.

This doesn't match the information I'm finding. :waitasec:

From BBC News:

Mrs McCann told police that when she went to the apartment at 2200 she found the outside shutter and window to Madeleine's room had been opened and her daughter was missing.

Mrs McCann said police were called within 10 minutes of finding her daughter gone. Guilhermino Encarnacao, director of the judicial police in the Faro region, said officers arrived within 10 minutes of being alerted, and an investigation unit began work within 30 minutes

The manager of the Mark Warner resort in Portugal, John Hill, said about 60 staff and guests at the complex searched until daybreak for the little girl, while police notified border police, Spanish police and airports.

They were joined in their hunt by hundreds of volunteers in the following days.

More at the above link.

Mrs McCann said police were called within 10 minutes of finding her daughter gone.

Not true. If KM is saying this, she is lying.

http://gazetadigitalpraiadaluz.blogspot.com/2007/09/some-advice-to-penny-wark-correspondent.html

PAULO REIS, the editor of Gazeta Digital in Portugal, has done a very nice question and answer format here regarding Madeleine's disappearance. From the blog:

I had a different information (about the time police were called and whether they were out of their league). As the first Police officers to arrive at the crime scene were from Guarda Nacional Republicana (GNR) I called Lieutenant-Colonel Costa Cabral, head of Public Relations at Guarda Nacional Republicana headquarters, in Lisbon (phone number, email address are here). He told me that first call to GNR precinct at Lagos was received at 10.50 pm, May 3, and only after Police oficcers went there and evaluated the situation, CID in POrtimão was called.

Two GNR officers went to Ocean Club (a 10/15 minutes drive, from Lagos), evaluated the situation and than they called CID in Portimão, 25 km from Praia da Luz. They assembled a team and they were at the crime scene between 11h40, 11h50 pm, May 3.

Was vital time lost?

I think that vital time was lost between the moment Kate McCann realized her daughter was missing, around 10h00 pm, and the moment the first call was received at Police precinct, in Lagos: 50 minutes, time enough for a car to drive from Praia da Luz, following the highway A22, close to the Spanish border (a border that doesn’t exist, because since the Shengen Agreement was signed, countries that are members have no border control posts and can not put a road block in a border without asking, before, permission to do that, to the Shengen authority). Who is responsible for that, I'm not sure, yet.

And according to the testimony of Mrs. Fenn, the upstairs neighbor, she noticed Kate McCann a little after 10:00 on May 3 and asked if they wanted the police called. KM said they had taken care of it, but the police weren't actually summoned until 40 minutes later.

It's been confirmed by more than one news report that the police were not actually called for 40 minutes. Gerry McCann had called his friend from university days by then, which is why (reportedly) Sky News knew about the kidnapping before the Portuguese police did.

I'm still having a hard time with that one--that it took so long to call the police. I keep trying to think that perhaps in the mass confusion, Kate only thought someone else called the police--but usually in a crisis, one person takes responsibility for calling them and actually does so--as in "Call the police!" "I'll do it!"

In fact, sometimes more than one person calls in a crisis like this. There are well-meaning later arrivals who call as well.

I've wondered if the delay was deliberate because it was meant to buy someone time.

It's been confirmed by more than one news report that the police were not actually called for 40 minutes. Gerry McCann had called his friend from university days by then, which is why (reportedly) Sky News knew about the kidnapping before the Portuguese police did.

I'm still having a hard time with that one--that it took so long to call the police. I keep trying to think that perhaps in the mass confusion, Kate only thought someone else called the police--but usually in a crisis, one person takes responsibility for calling them and actually does so--as in "Call the police!" "I'll do it!"

In fact, sometimes more than one person calls in a crisis like this. There are well-meaning later arrivals who call as well.

I've wondered if the delay was deliberate because it was meant to buy someone time.
In my experience when a crime or accident involves a loved one, people are usually falling all over themselves to call the police. IMO, I think they were stalling in order to conceal the true reason Maddie "disappeared".

In my experience when a crime or accident involves a loved one, people are usually falling all over themselves to call the police. IMO, I think they were stalling in order to conceal the true reason Maddie "disappeared".

Exactly! You don't get one call, you get multiple ones. I remember my older daughter swallowing a penny once around the same age and I would have called myself no matter who else called--or said they called.

Forty minutes can be a very long time.

Are you saying that people usually call 911 (or the police) more than once during a crisis? Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying.

Here in the US that usually isn't necessary because the 911 operators stay on the line until LE or the fire department arrives. When JonBenet Ramsey was thought to be missing, Patsy called 911.....but only once.

We're talking about multiple people rushing to make a 911 call. In other words, I don't think Kate neglected to call the police because she assumed someone else called when she noticed Madeleine was gone. Most parents would've called anyway just to make sure a call went out for assistance.

When Kate went running back to the tapas bar after discovering Madeleine was gone, why didn't she have some member of the staff there call the police? They would know the phone number and they could speak Portuguese. It doesn't make sense to go there, where there was help, and then go back to the room and THEN later figure out how to call the police or call the front desk or whatever she did.

When Kate went running back to the tapas bar after discovering Madeleine was gone, why didn't she have some member of the staff there call the police? They would know the phone number and they could speak Portuguese. It doesn't make sense to go there, where there was help, and then go back to the room and THEN later figure out how to call the police or call the front desk or whatever she did.

I think if I found my child missing from a room - my first instinct would not be to call the Police - it would be to run around franticaly looking for her incase she had just wandered out - It would only be after a frantict search that then the enourmity of the situation would become apparent - and policve would be called - I think anyway panic would set in quickly and noone does anything logicaly once you are in a state of panic - as Kate mccaan would have been very quickly

I think if I found my child missing from a room - my first instinct would not be to call the Police - it would be to run around franticaly looking for her incase she had just wandered out - It would only be after a frantict search that then the enourmity of the situation would become apparent - and policve would be called - I think anyway panic would set in quickly and noone does anything logicaly once you are in a state of panic - as Kate mccaan would have been very quickly

Yes, but according to her, she noticed a shutter that had been forced and that cuddle cat was moved to a high ledge. Now it's possible she contacted the front desk expecting them to take care of helping look for Madeleine, including calling the police. The resort probably would not want to call in the police unless absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname