Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mari has said again and again that her daughter, Shannan, Didn't Know How To Swim and would NOT go in water....even in that marsh. There is NO WAY she ran and HID in REEDS....she could hide behind any one of the 72 (SEVENTY TWO) houses in Oak Beach - having an advantage to SEE what was APPROACHING her.

there is no way she thought she could HIDE in reeds rooted in marshy mucky icky smelly water. NO WAY. ANYONE would hide behind something LARGER than your own body - originally GC said she hid Under or Behind his little row boat - and then scooted out.

She would Hide behind a tree. or a CAR!!!! She didnt need to run into a disgusting sticky icky marsh getting her feet wet. NO WAY!!!!
that's my two cents and i'm sticking to it.

:maddening::maddening::maddening::maddening:

She wouldn't have known that it was a marsh. To her, it probably looked like a dry corn field from Anchor Way. But she ran in, then she got lost. Then she got wet, probably falling face first into 3-4 feet of water, her fear of water notwithstanding.

These reeds are 7-10 feet tall, so I'm not sure why you think this wasn't an obvious choice to hide for someone who by all accounts was irrationally attempting to flee and hide from an imagined threat.

Her mother also said she wasn't into drugs, but others close to her state that she was into ecstasy and cocaine. We can't discount a drug interaction because her mom says so.

I agree with you though that Shannan didn't run in there thinking "I'll swim away from my imagined attacker". She had no idea that she was running into a tidal marsh that was swamped after heavy flooding.

The timing of the announcement was so quick after they found her, that I suspect that it was a tactical decision to claim that they knew the cause of death. What evidence did they have that she died of drowning vs. murder?

What do you mean AFTER they found her? He said she drowned BEFORE they had even found her!!!!!

:justice:

:deadhorse:

Also, I'd like to mention, that just because Mari says her daughter wouldn't run at the water, and if she felt wetness she would run the other way.... Yes, perhaps in a 'normal' circumstance.. but the girl was about to be murdered....
Can I tell you, I have the WORST fear of spiders, I am talking, like I'd scream, have a heart attack, anxiety attack, you name it. I would find an alternate path had I run into some spiders...
But if someone is chasing me and trying to murder me.... I don't give a rats corn hole (lol) if there are spiders in front of me, I am out of there! And yes, I will run THROUGH them if need be...
Why is every one here so close minded to the fact that her mom is stating her daughters reaction on a normal circumstance.... But when you are scaared for your life, and feel someone is going to kill you, uh, the human brain works and functions off a completely different basis.... and I think maybe Shannan would have turned around if the water was like up to her chest, but it wasn't... it wasn't even enough to drown in from what I am hearing, so seriously, yes her mom said that, BUT, it may not hold true in a frantic situation and everyone needs to consider that!

What do you mean AFTER they found her? He said she drowned BEFORE they had even found her!!!!!

:justice:

:deadhorse:

what was INFURIATING was that Dormer and Cameron and Vaccone were ALL SAYING she DROWNED....from wednesday to friday (dec. 7 - 9)- when they found her jeans, purse, (who oh by the way - Mallia found geez!!!)
shoes and phone and the kicker was they kept insisting
when they found her LIP GLOSS (dec 9)
that she drowned......

give me a break!!!!!

allegedly - they had not found her body yet ........
they didn't find it until tuesday dec. 13.

I'm just waiting for the Medical Examiner to blow the doors off the SCPD and good ole' Commish's statement.

Then they gonna have some 'plainin' to do FOR SURE!!!!!
WITHOUT A DOUBT

can you say
perry mason moment coming up?

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

I was also at the vigil the morning that they found Shannan, and WHEN they found Shannan, and WHILE they were extracting her body (rest in peace) Dormer's <modsnip> came out and started with "We believe we found Shanan, who drowned...."

REALLY? Your an on site medical examiner? He called the shots way too soon, they are covering something up, and isn't it sad that the people we are taught to trust and are taught to depend on are possibly covering up some sort of murder mystery??? It's scary and I really wish I didn't start talking about this because it REALLY bothers me.

I was also at the vigil the morning that they found Shannan, and WHEN they found Shannan, and WHILE they were extracting her body (rest in peace) Dormer's <modsnip>came out and started with "We believe we found Shanan, who drowned...."

REALLY? Your an on site medical examiner? He called the shots way too soon, they are covering something up, and isn't it sad that the people we are taught to trust and are taught to depend on are possibly covering up some sort of murder mystery??? It's scary and I really wish I didn't start talking about this because it REALLY bothers me.

I think that the police gained some perspective over the year and realized that nothing about her disappearance was related to the serial killer. They undoubtedly spent countless hours interviewing POIs related to Shannan's case, searching houses, considering theories... All for naught.

At some point, I believe someone with a little more perspective (i.e., FBI) analyzed the case and said "Hey, this place was flooded. She was last seen on Anchor Way. She probably ran in there and drowned."

With this perspective, its reasonable for the police to have said "Duh, why didn't we think of that!"

They mentioned that she drowned as she was being recovered. Its a powerful perspective, and it was right for them to share it with the public. It made me see the whole case in a different light.

Only after this mention of drowning was I able to even consider things like rainfall, only to discover that there was record flooding 30 days prior. And hypothermia - which can kill in under an hour when water temps are 50 degrees. Here's a picture of the area 30 days prior:

3792274747.jpg

Can u provide me with a land mark of where Shannan was found on ur picture u posted please? TIA

Can u provide me with a land mark of where Shannan was found on ur picture u posted please? TIA

What you're looking at is Jones Beach, facing northwest. Shannan was found in Oak Beach, about 10 miles away. The area on the picture where you see all those ponds in between Ocean Parkway and the ocean (see attached) is representative of where Shannan was found south of Ocean Parkway, north of the ocean.

These ponds are forming in areas that would show up as a depression on a topographical map, just like the area where Shannan was found.

Evaporation rates over the month of April would have been nil. I've calculated evaporation at somewhere between 1-3 inches based on NOAA data. The area where Shannan was found was covered in tall reeds, which would severely hamper evaporation rates. Much of this water would have been present on May 1st.

Attachments

• flooding.jpg
    flooding.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 30
I am sorry but I can not use the photo you have provided if it isn't even of the area we re discussing. I know that it is fairly close to the area, but this is not a good source. Sorry. IMHO

I've not been able to find one single photo that shows water in the area where Gilbert's body was located....not one. Yes, I know law enforcement claimed to have drained a drainage area..but that was closer to where her personal belongings were found. And when Shannan's remains were found, the big machine was driving by & just happened to see her skeleton laying off to the side.

Add to that, it's been posted before... Gilbert's remains were only 100 ft off the roadway. The land slopes downward from the roadway toward the ocean. And, it would have been daylight by the time she reached that area, if she indeed walked there. If there was any water whatsoever where her remains were, it would probably have only been an inch or two at the very most.

Gilbert did not drown.

IMO

I've not been able to find one single photo that shows water in the area where Gilbert's body was located....not one. Yes, I know law enforcement claimed to have drained a drainage area..but that was closer to where her personal belongings were found. And when Shannan's remains were found, the big machine was driving by & just happened to see her skeleton laying off to the side.

Add to that, it's been posted before... Gilbert's remains were only 100 ft off the roadway. The land slopes downward from the roadway toward the ocean. And, it would have been daylight by the time she reached that area, if she indeed walked there. If there was any water whatsoever where her remains were, it would probably have only been an inch or two at the very most.

Gilbert did not drown.

IMO

:Bennymonkey:

I am sorry but I can not use the photo you have provided if it isn't even of the area we re discussing. I know that it is fairly close to the area, but this is not a good source. Sorry. IMHO

No problem, but it is the area we're discussing. South of Ocean Parkway, north of the ocean.

I've posted previously satellite photos depicting the exact area of Oak Beach where Shannan was found. These photos show water in the marsh. However, these photos were not from the same date and therefore don't show the extent of the floodwater. You need to consider the two photos together to imagine how the area where Shannan was found would have looked on May 1st.

Also, the article says 80 million gallons of water fell on Nassau and Suffolk in March. I don't know how anyone could argue that this area was dry on May 1st.

Its not like that photo is from the north shore, or New Jersey. If you're familiar with the area, you'd know that this is an excellent depiction of how the area looked when Shannan disappeared.

This is a good source.

No problem, but it is the area we're discussing. South of Ocean Parkway, north of the ocean.

I've posted previously satellite photos depicting the exact area of Oak Beach where Shannan was found. These photos show water in the marsh. However, these photos were not from the same date and therefore don't show the extent of the floodwater. You need to consider the two photos together to imagine how the area where Shannan was found would have looked on May 1st.

Also, the article says 80 million gallons of water fell on Nassau and Suffolk in March. I don't know how anyone could argue that this area was dry on May 1st.

Its not like that photo is from the north shore, or New Jersey. If you're familiar with the area, you'd know that this is an excellent depiction of how the area looked when Shannan disappeared.

This is a good source.

Let's put the conjecture to rest and just ask the ws member who lives there... so fluke, what is it? was the area where the remains were found underwater in may 2010?

something else that's puzzling me about the photo of Gilbert's remains.......

the skull appears to be a different color from the legs...or the skull doesn't appear to be as "dry" or decomposed, and the mouth appears caved in - but - I don't see any teeth.

since Gilbert had previously been beaten up by her boyfriend & had a metal plate in her jaw...does anyone know if she also possibly wore false teeth?

something else that's puzzling me about the photo of Gilbert's remains.......

the skull appears to be a different color from the legs...or the skull doesn't appear to be as "dry" or decomposed, and the mouth appears caved in - but - I don't see any teeth.

since Gilbert had previously been beaten up by her boyfriend & had a metal plate in her jaw...does anyone know if she also possibly wore false teeth?
Always the commensurate thinker MrsPC ;}

I wish the pic of the skeleton had been more clear.

Sorry have been so distraught over Charlie/BRADEN POWELL'S Deaths along with real life that gets in the way.. When did we get a release of an official manner of death for SG?? Or is this just continued discussion from Dormers COD he gave before even having the body?

TIA :maddening:

Sorry have been so distraught over Charlie/BRADEN POWELL'S Deaths along with real life that gets in the way.. When did we get a release of an official manner of death for SG?? Or is this just continued discussion from Dormers COD he gave before even having the body?

BBM - Yep.... nothing new.

My problem with the drowning story is that SG was said to have been discovered in an area 3 ft deep in water, but that she may have drowned in an area that was fifteen feet deep. Is there such a depression in the area? Maybe I'm mixed up...
Either way, it seems like SG would have caused an awful lot of noise, "running into the marsh," even if she wasn't screaming. Are there any witnesses in OB who have attested to hearing anything like this?

I'm with ya on the Powell case...I can't even bring myself to read the news...each headline seems to suggest more & more evil...it's just so cruel.

I wish Fluke would answer questions we have put forth when he "appears" to have information but, I have yet to see any response. Sad thou.
Please if you do know just say it, we can all benefit including the victims if there is anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda