SIDEBAR #48 - Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of you with sadness this morning Spellbound. :frown:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. Please know that you are not alone. :grouphug:
We are always here, if you need to talk.
Sending prayers and (((HUGS))) to you and also to Josie, who just recently lost her mom too. :heartbeat:

Bernina,
I LOVE your pictures and all the stories of your life. I do hope you come back and explain exactly how you go and "round up some geese." As a child, I always wished I could go to the "country" on weekends like a lot of my classmates. I always looked forward to hearing them tell their stories of riding horses at their grandparents house. The closest I ever got to riding a horse as a child was the little 10 cent merry go round in front of Kmart :smile: Does anyone else remember them? I think there were only 4 horses on it :giggle: It was really small!

You were lucky to have grown up with them!

Did some clean up on the ol' geezer..........shaved his legs, lol!

View attachment 71910

This one is for all his ladies.........

View attachment 71912

You can see ol' Zuri has made a mess of his tail and I roached his mane a dew months back cause she was chewing on that too, the little booger!

And this one holds my soul..........

View attachment 71913

Horses shave their legs??? and such long legs, too.
And you put a roach on your horse???
What's going on here??? :what:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

....and not going to forget Zuri Monster!!!!

View attachment 71915

Tomorrow I have an adventure out in the "other" boonies rounding up some geese to bring home. If I get back in time, I'll post pics.
They're called Sebastopols, but we just call them "toilet paper geese". I've lost all but one over the last few years, time to get the flock up again.

And debating whether to incubate the 4 swan eggs Juan and Juanetta laid the past 10 days, they are NOT good setters. Going to have to set up the jumbo 'bator. Kinda silly just incubating 4 eggs when this thing will hatch 480 chicken eggs or 36 emu eggs.:thinking: Nope, NOT going to go there, swan eggs or nothing!

Baby Zuri is soooooo beautiful. :loveyou:

You just know I had to look up those Sebastopols ducks (because I am a nosy heathen queen) :floorlaugh:

What unusual feathers they have and they do look as if they have toilet paper on them. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I won't post a pic- you can do that. :)

Spellbound, so very sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I am so glad that you were able to spend some time with her.
We are here for you anytime.

--------
One day closer!!!

I first heard this song in that old movie with Olivia de Havilland, The Snake Pit. A hauntingly beautiful song that stayed in my head for days.

That's where I first heard the song.

(couldn't find that one in a YTube, but I swear I did years ago :thinking:, but that person singing the song in the movie was singing about
going home from the insane asylum and not about someone passing on, IMO).
dying-smiley.gif

I'm still humming that song
songs-tuckin-head-smiley.gif

Another long day ahead, but we had the funniest thing happen this morning. The dogs started barking and I saw a "dog" flashing down the sidewalk. Now, we live in a country setting, but we are in the Village part near town, so we have sidewalks and a bit more of a neighborhood than many. It is nothing to see rabbits, squirrels, opossums, etc. Turns out this was no neighborhood dog that was causing a ruckus..... it was a big ole turkey trotting at quite a clip down the sidewalk, from one block to the next. I laughed so hard. Only one other time have we seen a turkey here, and that one flew up onto our roof to escape the big dogs some people have.

Let's all do the Turkey Trot :giggle:

OK Bernina, I'll bite....just how does one "round up some geese"? ....inquiring minds, etc.

Hopefully, without getting someone's feathers in a bunch and they don't decide to take a chunk out of you! I use something that looks like a huge butterfly net with nylon webbing like a fish net, but it usually involves alot of running and "ground flying". The Sebastopols are a domestic breed, and they have shredded feathers that really prevent them from getting any altitude, unless a REALLY strong wind gets under them.
These are the 5 I have right now, the white is a Seb. The only female in the bunch is the brown, an American Buff. The 2 grayish ones are a cross between the Seb and buff from 2 years ago. The one with a dorsal stripe running down it's backside is an African gray. The 3 pure breds all come from breeders back East when they were 24 hours old, in a shipping box, lol!
I am REALLY hoping this gal has them in one of her box stalls.

DSC02859.jpg

I'm also on the hunt for a companion for my old Nigerian goat. The wuffs have kind of gotten tired of playing with him and he's been tossed out of the horse pens............Spumoni is just a lonely guy.:shame:people have them listed for $150-200 and I'm like, "Really?" Found one for $50 but I'm just kind of in a hold pattern. Spumoni is tri-colored and I'm looking for something besides "black".

Another long day ahead, but we had the funniest thing happen this morning. The dogs started barking and I saw a "dog" flashing down the sidewalk. Now, we live in a country setting, but we are in the Village part near town, so we have sidewalks and a bit more of a neighborhood than many. It is nothing to see rabbits, squirrels, opossums, etc. Turns out this was no neighborhood dog that was causing a ruckus..... it was a big ole turkey trotting at quite a clip down the sidewalk, from one block to the next. I laughed so hard. Only one other time have we seen a turkey here, and that one flew up onto our roof to escape the big dogs some people have.

Let's all do the Turkey Trot :giggle:

A turkey trotting dowm the road? Hehe, turkey trot, I bet that was a sight :giggle:

And Bernina rounding up geese, would that be a wild goose chase? :)

Hopefully, without getting someone's feathers in a bunch and they don't decide to take a chunk out of you! I use something that looks like a huge butterfly net with nylon webbing like a fish net, but it usually involves alot of running and "ground flying". The Sebastopols are a domestic breed, and they have shredded feathers that really prevent them from getting any altitude, unless a REALLY strong wind gets under them.
These are the 5 I have right now, the white is a Seb. The only female in the bunch is the brown, an American Buff. The 2 grayish ones are a cross between the Seb and buff from 2 years ago. The one with a dorsal stripe running down it's backside is an African gray. The 3 pure breds all come from breeders back East when they were 24 hours old, in a shipping box, lol!

View attachment 71938

I'm also on the hunt for a companion for my old Nigerian goat. The wuffs have kind of gotten tired of playing with him and he's been tossed out of the horse pans............Spumoni is just a lonely guy.:shame:people have them listed for $150-200 and I'm like, "Really?" Found one for $50 but I'm just kind of in a hold pattern. Spumoni is tri-colored and I'm looking for something besides "black".

They're beautiful!!! But you lost them? :( And what is a horse pan, I am picturing a horse shaped cake pan, which I assume is incorrect :giggle:

Horses shave their legs??? and such long legs, too.
And you put a roach on your horse???
What's going on here??? :what:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I did full body clips when I used to show, many, many years ago. Roaching is cutting all the mane on their neck down to about an inch or so. Not something that's done on Arabs, but Zuri made a real mess of his.
I've tried cayenne pepper spray and "No Chew" on many horses in the past to stop the babies from nibbling, but they acquire a taste for it! :gaah:

Good Morning All!

Thanks Chelly for having a sense of humor about the "coffee" thing. It made everybody on here laugh and I think everybody went about their day with a big smile on their face. I am still smiling and think of you as I make my coffee in the morning.

Bernina, those swans are gorgeous. I have never seen that breed of swan. Could we possibly have a video of the round up of the chickens?

Bernina...your passion about your horses is awesome :) I grew up with quarter horses. My granddad and uncle always had horses. The love of horses has spilled over to my cousins and the next generation. One of my cousins and her husband raise and train Tennessee Walking (show, breed, and sell). Many blue ribbons. Another cousin works with quarter horses.

I so enjoy your humor, your pics and your little life stories you kindly share with us. Thank you

Coffejunkie, I swear horses are in your DNA and is passed down through the generations in one child or another, my parents were not horse people, but my paternal grandmother loved horses and my maternal great grandmother was an avid horse person. She rode side saddle for years way back when. I can't remember a day since birth, not loving horses.

My first horse at age 41 was a quarter horse. I was "denied" for 41 years lol and for the past 17 years, I have had a horse (s). My daughters inherited the gene and they ride and have that consuming love for horses.

View attachment 71938

I'm also on the hunt for a companion for my old Nigerian goat. The wuffs have kind of gotten tired of playing with him and he's been tossed out of the horse pans............Spumoni is just a lonely guy.:shame:people have them listed for $150-200 and I'm like, "Really?" Found one for $50 but I'm just kind of in a hold pattern. Spumoni is tri-colored and I'm looking for something besides "black".
Thank you Bernina for explaining how to round up geese. Geese scare me a bit as I was chased by them as a kid and am still "traumatized"....LOL

However, I adore goats.

They're beautiful!!! But you lost them? :( And what is a horse pan, I am picturing a horse shaped cake pan, which I assume is incorrect :giggle:

Went back and "fixed" my spelling, lol, "pens"!

The last female seb I had got killed by a Bobcat, but not before the emus tore ol' Bob up pretty bad. But those are the 5 geese I have right now. 5 years ago, I had close to 30 Sebs (hatching fool I was) and traded a huge chunk of them to my friend in Phoenix for the pair of Mute Swan cygnets.

I don't know how long I am for this earth, but one of the last things my dad said was be happy. And that's what I'm doing! No showing, selling, massive breeding, just having the special kind of critters that I can just sit and enjoy watching and interacting with. Can't wait for the peafowl to start calling, there's something so cool about it. My dad had a bunch when I was growing up and they'd fly up on the telephone poles. One of his males actually like to chase us kids and for some reason, we thought they had poison on their spurs <-----I don't know where we got that idea, but he scared us to death!

image.jpg
Photo of my daughter and my heart horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike