Skyla Whitaker, 11, & Taylor Placker 13 - Found Murdered - #21

Thanks for the link BootsOK. It sounds like OSBI has received new evidence and also that LE beleives more than one person was present when the murders occured.

I must say, I almost jumped out of my skin when the 3 balloons popped during the release. Praying for Justice for Taylor and Skyla.

wm

Thanks, Boots! I was too late to get it live. Hopefully, I can find the video somewhere on the net.

I just composed a lengthy comment criticizing that press conference, but hey - who needs in-depth negativity. Just let me say that, as usual, I was disappointed.

The info given about contacting LE was confusing - three different phone numbers in addition to mumbo-jumbo about LE doing everything it can to protect your rights, the latter serving only to remind a potential caller of the trouble they're into if they participated in the crime or aftermath - as would almost certainly be the case if someone has actionable info about the matter.

Keep it simple, stress the reward, tug on the heartstrings.

Prayer is a fine thing, but this one took up about 40% of the presser, at the expense of people asking questions. It's fine as a private matter but this was a state press conference and it came across as using God to block criticism of LE non-performance in this case.

And if Miss Jessica calls them "my agents" one more time, I'm going to scream!

I just composed a lengthy comment criticizing that press conference, but hey - who needs in-depth negativity. Just let me say that, as usual, I was disappointed.

The info given about contacting LE was confusing - three different phone numbers in addition to mumbo-jumbo about LE doing everything it can to protect your rights, the latter serving only to remind a potential caller of the trouble they're into if they participated in the crime or aftermath - as would almost certainly be the case if someone has actionable info about the matter.

Keep it simple, stress the reward, tug on the heartstrings.

Prayer is a fine thing, but this one took up about 40% of the presser, at the expense of people asking questions. It's fine as a private matter but this was a state press conference and it came across as using God to block criticism of LE non-performance in this case.

And if Miss Jessica calls them "my agents" one more time, I'm going to scream!

Hello, wfgodot -

I agree with your post; however, I have just a little different take on the presser.

The link I provided doesn't include the very first part when JB says "there are suspects". I'm still trying to find one that includes that statement. A day or two after the girls were murdered - Sheriff Choate (I believe it was) stated "We have suspects". OSBI quickly refuted that statement and have consistently maintained there aren't suspects. Then, today....JB says there are. (I believe there are suspects - FWIW)

I also believe the negative publicity OSBI has received is hurting their effectiveness and credibility. With Max Cook, county DA, conducting most of the presser - perhaps local LE are assuming more responsibility in the case?? Just looks as if they may be. Is this a good thing? I have no idea.

And - the prayer - I would usually agree with you 100%; however, the statement by Wanda M in the prayer introduction seemed to be indicating an act of last resort - close to desperation. Call upon a higher power to get this case solved for the families and the community. (My comment here: "We mortal beings haven't gotten the job done.")

This is, as always, my opinion only.

Are we allowed to post the above link, in the "UP TO MINUTE NEWS" thread?

People have a lot on their minds these days. It wouldn't hurt to remind people about Skyla and Taylor.

The more prayers.....the better!!

Hello, wfgodot -

I agree with your post; however, I have just a little different take on the presser.

The link I provided doesn't include the very first part when JB says "there are suspects". I'm still trying to find one that includes that statement. A day or two after the girls were murdered - Sheriff Choate (I believe it was) stated "We have suspects". OSBI quickly refuted that statement and have consistently maintained there aren't suspects. Then, today....JB says there are. (I believe there are suspects - FWIW)

I also believe the negative publicity OSBI has received is hurting their effectiveness and credibility. With Max Cook, county DA, conducting most of the presser - perhaps local LE are assuming more responsibility in the case?? Just looks as if they may be. Is this a good thing? I have no idea.

And - the prayer - I would usually agree with you 100%; however, the statement by Wanda M in the prayer introduction seemed to be indicating an act of last resort - close to desperation. Call upon a higher power to get this case solved for the families and the community. (My comment here: "We mortal beings haven't gotten the job done.")

This is, as always, my opinion only.

Agreed, and I'm looking for the full press conference too. I'd completely forgotten about that "suspects" / "no suspects" thing early-on. Thanks for reminding me! (And I think there is a suspect too.) I found it interesting that Miss Jessica said the other day that LE believed the killers live in the Weleetka area.

On the prayer as an act of last resort - exactly, but I hesistate to endorse that notion at a public press conference as its underlying message is, "We cannot solve this case." Sadly, to old me, it came across as an act of defeat, and bodes ill for future success in solving this sad tragedy.

Always open to hearing direct examples of cases solved via even the most heartfelt public pleading. I know of none. God helps those who help themselves. The Aja Johnson case featured LE praying in earnest not long after the kidnapping. One could perhaps surmise that they should have been working harder and using their God-given gifts as investigators to find that child. Prayer can serve as a convenient excuse for failure: "Our prayers weren't answered."

That's just not acceptable.

Okay, having said all this, I am indeed a Christian and continue to pray privately and fervently that God will grant LE the strength and willpower to solve this horror. Oklahoma could save money and replace OSBI with a prayer bureau, if it would help. And it probably couldn't hurt!

Like each of us on this thread, I HATE it that this case has stayed unsolved. But ever since they slapped that picture of the stereotypical Indian up as a person of interest, I've had grave doubts that this investigation would be anything other than what it is right now: a debacle. OSBI ought to be praying it can keep its funding after so many big-case failures.

Suspects eyed in killing of Weleetka girls, OSBI says

WELEETKA -- Several suspects are being eyed by the OSBI in connection with the shooting deaths of two young girls northeast of town two years ago.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown wouldn't give any more details during a morning press conference at the scene of the June 8, 2008, killings.
---

and more, at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100608_298_0_WELEET909581

If they're "eyeing suspects," perhaps it's time to name persons of interest to shake this investigation up and try to produce some nervous co-conspirator(s). Otherwise this is just stalling for time, and time has run out.

KRMG Local News
Second Anniversary of Weleetka Murders Marked at Crime Scene

Taylor's father, Peter Placker, says it has changed the family. He says they usually kept to themselves anyway but now he kind of alienates himself from the family and stays to himself.

Placker says he's not concerned for his safety but is very concerned for the children in the area. He says it's frustrating because even if the person or persons responsible are caught it can't bring closure because it can't bring his girl back. Placker says it's hard for him to even be on the road where the crime happened.
---

and more, at
http://krmg.com/localnews/2010/06/second-anniversary-of-weleetka.html

Suspects eyed in killing of Weleetka girls, OSBI says

WELEETKA -- Several suspects are being eyed by the OSBI in connection with the shooting deaths of two young girls northeast of town two years ago.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown wouldn't give any more details during a morning press conference at the scene of the June 8, 2008, killings.
---

and more, at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100608_298_0_WELEET909581

If they're "eyeing suspects," perhaps it's time to name persons of interest to shake this investigation up and try to produce some nervous co-conspirator(s). Otherwise this is just stalling for time, and time has run out.

BBM -

What a profound and "on the button" statement. I have been in touch with many people today who have been very involved since these murders happened. The general and overwhelming consensus is exactly what you posted, wfgodot. Shake it up....absolutely!! MOO

I think something similar to a drug sting like the popo pulled off with Ron Cummings would be an excellent idea. Put some suspects in jail and see if they well snitch on each other. Shake it up or release all the OSBI's data to the county residents so they can solve the crime.

Like each of us on this thread, I HATE it that this case has stayed unsolved. But ever since they slapped that picture of the stereotypical Indian up as a person of interest, I've had grave doubts that this investigation would be anything other than what it is right now: a debacle. OSBI ought to be praying it can keep its funding after so many big-case failures.
Respectfully shortened and BBM.
D*&*, I am glad you said that. This photo looked like 10% of the males in OK. This was an incredibly dumb thing to do and anyone who has every been in OK for longer than 15 minutes would know this! I have been waiting for the OSBI to foolishly release a statement that they think a Native American was involved in the pastor's murder in Anadarko....DUH! Everyone in Anadarko is an Indian.

Why won't the OSBI release the other type of gun that killed Taylor and Skyla? Was it such an unusual gun that they are saving this to ID the killers? If this is such an unusual gun, everyone in Weleetka would know who owned it. They need to release this info NOW.

I think something similar to a drug sting like the popo pulled off with Ron Cummings would be an excellent idea. Put some suspects in jail and see if they well snitch on each other. Shake it up or release all the OSBI's data to the county residents so they can solve the crime.

Pensfan,
This is exactly what I have been thinking. I keep thinking DD (who is still in jail) will one day say something to a cell mate that will turn the tide of this case. I have no idea if DD is involved but he does not seem the type to be able to keep his mouth shut about the case, if he were involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back