Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
DA expects trial in Fall 2015. The Marietta Daily Journal - Cobb DA confident in case against Justin Ross Harris

MARIETTA — Speaking to a crowd of business leaders Wednesday, Cobb District Attorney Vic Reynolds said he is confident in the state’s case against Justin Ross Harris and expects a jury trial by the end of the year.

Harris, 33, of Marietta, was arrested June 18, the day police said he left his 22-month-old son, Cooper, in the back of his car for seven hours, resulting in the child’s death. Harris has been in jail without bond since then.

Reynolds said his office is diligently working the case and he expects the prosecution to be fully prepared when it does go to trial before Superior Court Judge Mary Staley.

“You never know what the jury’s going to do, but we could try it tomorrow,” Reynolds said. “That’s how confident I am in that case.”

He said his confidence comes from his office’s preparation and said it wouldn’t be going to trial if he didn’t think the case warranted one.

“I’ve told (my staff) without any hesitation, if you don’t believe in a case, don’t indict a case,” he said. “If we can’t prove by the standards required, then don’t indict it. … That case has been indicted, so I think that speaks for itself.”

Harris faces charges including malice murder, felony murder, one count of child cruelty in the first degree, one count of child cruelty in the second degree, criminal attempt to commit a felony and two counts of dissemination of harmful material to minors.

Reynolds has said he will not pursue the death penalty, which means the maximum penalty for the murder charges is life in prison.

Reynolds said Harris’ defense attorneys are now reviewing all of the prosecution’s evidence against Harris. He said he hopes a motion hearing will occur sometime in the spring and the case will go to trial in the fall.

“I want that case over this year,” he said. “When it’s time to try the case, we need to be ready and I intend for us to be ready and I’m not going to ask for any additional time.”

Reynolds said the Harris case has affected him in a way no other case has.

“There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about Cooper Harris,” he said. “It’s a case … that will weigh on me as long as I take a breath on this Earth.”

The Marietta Daily Journal - Cobb DA confident in case against Justin Ross Harris

MARIETTA — Speaking to a crowd of business leaders Wednesday, Cobb District Attorney Vic Reynolds said he is confident in the state’s case against Justin Ross Harris and expects a jury trial by the end of the year.

Harris, 33, of Marietta, was arrested June 18, the day police said he left his 22-month-old son, Cooper, in the back of his car for seven hours, resulting in the child’s death. Harris has been in jail without bond since then.

Reynolds said his office is diligently working the case and he expects the prosecution to be fully prepared when it does go to trial before Superior Court Judge Mary Staley.

“You never know what the jury’s going to do, but we could try it tomorrow,” Reynolds said. “That’s how confident I am in that case.”

He said his confidence comes from his office’s preparation and said it wouldn’t be going to trial if he didn’t think the case warranted one.

“I’ve told (my staff) without any hesitation, if you don’t believe in a case, don’t indict a case,” he said. “If we can’t prove by the standards required, then don’t indict it. … That case has been indicted, so I think that speaks for itself.”

Harris faces charges including malice murder, felony murder, one count of child cruelty in the first degree, one count of child cruelty in the second degree, criminal attempt to commit a felony and two counts of dissemination of harmful material to minors.

Reynolds has said he will not pursue the death penalty, which means the maximum penalty for the murder charges is life in prison.

Reynolds said Harris’ defense attorneys are now reviewing all of the prosecution’s evidence against Harris. He said he hopes a motion hearing will occur sometime in the spring and the case will go to trial in the fall.

“I want that case over this year,” he said. “When it’s time to try the case, we need to be ready and I intend for us to be ready and I’m not going to ask for any additional time.”

“There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about Cooper Harris,” he said. “It’s a case … that will weigh on me as long as I take a breath on this Earth.”

Sponsored From Around the Web

There is probably more to this case than we know....more evidence than has been presented.

There is probably more to this case than we know....more evidence than has been presented.

There may be more evidence, but based on the evidence we know about, both RH and LH are guilty. More evidence will just be more fuel on the fire. As long as we don't get another CA jury....

The Marietta Daily Journal - Cobb DA confident in case against Justin Ross Harris

Sponsored From Around the Web

The over confidence really bothers me. I have seen that before and then they get smacked down. I think they have a lot of problems with this case. We will see.

I agree, I hate when they say "slam dunk", it almost begs failure...

The guy charged with murder in Wichita KS after his foster child died in the hot car while he was smoking weed and watching Game of Thrones was sentenced today - 32 months. Unbelievable.

There may be more evidence, but based on the evidence we know about, both RH and LH are guilty. More evidence will just be more fuel on the fire. As long as we don't get another CA jury....

Hey ITA. I kinda meant more evidence against them both. Nothing could clear them IMO.

The guy charged with murder in Wichita KS after his foster child died in the hot car while he was smoking weed and watching Game of Thrones was sentenced today - 32 months. Unbelievable.

Makes me sick! Poor child.

the guy charged with murder in wichita ks after his foster child died in the hot car while he was smoking weed and watching game of thrones was sentenced today - 32 months. Unbelievable.

32 months is unbelievable

Just confirms what I already knew....courts act like babies and small children have no value.

This is absolutely true. Until a constitutional amendment is passed, guaranteeing a Victim's Bill of Rights, especially for babies and small children, the scales of justice remain unbalanced.

As it stands, defendants rights are currently guaranteed throughout the process of adjudication. The rights of victims are not only unguaranteed (unless their jurisdiction has already passed their own VBoR), the assistance they receive varies from county to county and state to state. The playing field, for lack of a better term, is uneven at best.

We see this playing out in jurisdictions across our nation, in countless forums.

It is a travesty of justice.

:twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk x

This is absolutely true. Until a constitutional amendment is passed, guaranteeing a Victim's Bill of Rights, especially for babies and small children, the scales of justice remain unbalanced.

As it stands, defendants rights are currently guaranteed throughout the process of adjudication. The rights of victims are not only unguaranteed (unless their jurisdiction has already passed their own VBoR), the assistance they receive varies from county to county and state to state. The playing field, for lack of a better term, is uneven at best.

We see this playing out in jurisdictions across our nation, in countless forums.

It is a travesty of justice.

:twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk x

It certainly is. How do we get such a bill of rights passed?

It certainly is. How do we get such a bill of rights passed?

The last effort failed in 2013-2014. I need a moment to find the information, because there's no reason we can't contact our local representatives to let them know #WeThePeople are still interested in having this law passed, nationwide.

:lookingitup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, in Georgia, an autopsy report is subject to the Open Records Act, and access has been denied up to this point. It is being requested because the suspicion is that manner of death is not "Homicide", but "Undetermined". Small detail? Probably.

Yes, in Georgia, an autopsy report is subject to the Open Records Act, and access has been denied up to this point. It is being requested because the suspicion is that manner of death is not "Homicide", but "Undetermined". Small detail? Probably.

Who is suspecting that it is undetermined? Maybe it is because there is other evidence of child abuse? Death in a hot car could never be called undetermined.
From the description of little Cooper's body I highly doubt he died of anything else. The description was pretty graphic.
In a recent child case I followed autopsy report revealed additional evidence against accused and this was with held from media so that the
newspapers would not give potential jurors information and pollute jury pool. So that later the accused could not say mistrial. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637