SoCal fires continue thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone start a political implication thread or a constructive critical analysis thread? These issues certainly should be discussed, but my area is still burning and I try to find out what is going on by this thread.
This was a great thread for sharing real time updates on this devastating situation.

or not
never mind. I can see I am out numbered.:silenced:

The good news is I here planes overhead again for the last several minutes. Back to business. I didn't officially check but I figured it's firefighting and not GW circling my block:blushing:

.... Supposed it was his fault they could not fly yesterday becasue of the smoke being so dense.
Arnie: took heat becasue they could not get planes up before they did. Why 100 MPH winds seems to make it really hard to fly
All the more reason why every minute they can have the planes in the air now is critical. None of the firefighting planes could be up in the previous winds, and that really hurt the firefighting efforts. And while the Santa Ana winds have died down, there's still a ton of fire to fight, homes to save, etc.

I agree Martha. I wish he'd have stayed home and let the planes fly to fight the fires! He could have been driven through some fire areas.

I"m suprised he didn't do a repeat of his parachute out of the sky gig!

Martha, my baby Grace arrived this morning. Beautiful little girl and everything's perfect.

xxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

That's just great!!!! So happy for you and your daughter!! :HappyBday :HappyBday Baby Grace.

She's going to be fiery and feisty...

Can someone start a political implication thread or a constructive critical analysis thread? These issues certainly should be discussed, but my area is still burning and I try to find out what is going on by this thread.
This was a great thread for sharing real time updates on this devastating situation.

or not
I think the discussion is ... burning out... It's just a few posts anyway, not stopping new updates - whenever there are any. - JMO

I think a president - any president - who isn't seeming to take sufficient action gets criticized. I think going and visiting is used as a substitute, a sop, a fake-out, to substitute for real action.

Bush not going to Katrina isn't why he was criticized, the lack of federal government help was. But he's far from the only President to feel, or maybe even be told he needs to visit all these locations or else people will think he's doing nothing - the media loves the photo op, and simple dry facts of emergency plans and actions just aren't sexy enough.

Still, I'd like to see a president have the guts to say that they're adequately briefed, and they're personally making sure the affected area has all necessary federal help - and do so - and leave it at that. Photo ops with some poor family - I'm not real big on those. Definitely not with the President - maybe the mayor, governor, people directly responsible for the area.

Great post (as usual), D! And you're right: if there hadn't been so much delay in getting help to N.O., far less would have been made of Bush's flyover. It was bad symbolism in that context, not such a terrible action on its own.

or not

Jbean I want to say I am sorry I got of track. I will now stay on track. I agree a new thread needs to be made. To let the people here gripe

definitely planes back up and running for Santiago fire now.

never mind. I can see I am out numbered.:silenced:

Are you the one who asked him to come???? :D

OK, BACK TO BUSINESS NOW!!!!

JBean, how close is the nearest fire actually to you????

You know, after the fires are out (maybe), where do all these displaced people stay while they deal with insurance and possibly rebuilding their homes?

Are there enough hotels in the area? Also, few people are insured to the extent that they can actually build back their homes. Will alot of empty slabs or lots just be left?

The long term effects of these fires will be going on way longer than covered on TV and the news.

Also, I saw on CNN that the air in some places is 100 times worse than breathable air should be.

All I have started thread 3 so we can get back to updates only

The air will stay bad for awhile. Smoke from the fires, but also fumes rising from the places the fire burned. And it's indoors and out.

Bush visits California wildfire victims

ESCONDIDO, Calif. - President Bush had a message Thursday for Southern Californians weary and frightened from five days of wildfires. "We're not going to forget you in Washington, D.C.," he declared in an eerie echo of what he once told Hurricane Katrina victims. On a damage-survey trip haunted at every turn by the ongoing Katrina crisis, Bush saw by air and on foot the result of fires that have raced through canyons and neighborhoods since Sunday. The blazes have killed at least three people, sent hundreds of thousands fleeing their homes and burned nearly half a million acres. "We've got a big problem out here," the president said near the end of his quick, four-hour visit. "We want the people to know there's a better day ahead — that today your life may look dismal, but tomorrow life's going to be better," Bush said. "And to the extent that the federal government can help you, we want to do so."

Said California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bush's tour guide for the day: "The only way to grasp the true magnitude is to see it for yourself and to be out there with the people whose lives have been turned upside down."

Before leaving Washington, Bush said he aimed to bring assurances of federal help, comfort for those who have lost lives, homes and possessions, and thanks to overworked firefighters. Greeted immediately upon landing in California with the smell of smoke, the president's first views of the devastation came via helicopter. Masks and small, wet towels were distributed to the presidential entourage to help cope with smoky conditions. A white film covered the sky and, as the choppers drew closer to San Diego, Bush saw homes that had been reduced to piles of sticks.

Bush then got a closer look.

In San Diego's hard-hit community of Rancho Bernardo, Bush stepped through rubble on a street of Mediterranean-style homes, where houses that remained unscathed were interspersed with what amounted to mere shells of the American dream. He stood with Jay and Kendra Jeffcoat near where a single spiral staircase rested amid rubble that used to be their home and where their burnt-out car had melted into the scorched earth. "Those of us who are here in government, our hearts are right here with the Jeffcoats," the president said, his arm draped around Mrs. Jeffcoat. Holding her small brown dog on a leash, she fought back tears and Bush kissed her on the head. He shook hands at a makeshift disaster assistance center where government agencies and private companies are providing help to residents. From there, the president's motorcade passed charred hillsides on the way north to Escondido, where he assessed that area's damage and addressed the public and about 200 tired-looking firefighters. "We can't thank people enough for putting their lives at risk to help a neighbor," Bush said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071025/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

Excellent question, MarthaTex, and I'm curious now, too. Where do all of those people stay while waiting to rebuild? :eek:

I am sure we can get those now famous formadahyde-laden trailers sent to you from Oklahoma that we were given for our tornado victims! : )

Oh, sorry....again political. Darn.

OK...seriously the gover...uhm ok...I can't answer that question without involving the...er...well...you know.

Let's just say there are not enough hotels in and around the areas for people to reside in during rebuilding. Additional housing will have to be taken into consideration. : ) Whew.

Excellent question, MarthaTex, and I'm curious now, too. Where do all of those people stay while waiting to rebuild? :eek:
Well, now that you mention it IM, there's a very large fleet of unused trailers, purchased by FEMA, sitting somewhere in a field in Louisiana, or maybe that was Mississippi, or perhaps both states. Perhaps "B" could ship them out here.

Well, now that you mention it IM, there's a very large fleet of unused trailers, purchased by FEMA, sitting somewhere in a field in Louisiana, or maybe that was Mississippi, or perhaps both states. Perhaps "B" could ship them out here.
They were relocated to Arkansas and Oklahoma. : )

I think there's some in Missouri, and some in Florida. But from what I understand, they just let them sit in the weather, and they are not in very good condition now. Not to mention the cost of moving them all the way to CA.

But, I'd forgotten about FEMA trailers, and I imagine that's what will be offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member