SoCal fires continue thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was roundly and correctly criticized for his lackadaisical approach to NOLA and Katrina...someone wised up since then.
Agreed. I would have been pretty PO'ed if he didn't come here personally and look at this incredible mess.

To me, the issue is less character-assassination of this particular president and more a recognition that we need to value hardcore action over photo ops (regardless of who is president).

well posted, as always

He was roundly and correctly criticized for his lackadaisical approach to NOLA and Katrina...someone wised up since then.
With Katrina in mind, Bush views Calif. fire damage

SAN DIEGO, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Determined to avoid the mistakes made with Hurricane Katrina, U.S. President George W. Bush toured fire-ravaged Southern California on Thursday and promised to do everything possible to help the region recover.

Bush, heavily criticized for the federal government's slow response when Katrina devastated New Orleans in 2005, wasted little time in getting a first-hand look at the damage from wildfires that ranged from Malibu to the U.S.-Mexican border.

Taking a helicopter tour with California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bush surveyed swathes of scorched acreage, smoke rising from fire-blackened hillsides, and one hilltop neighborhood where about a dozen homes lay in charred ruins

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN25622280

I think the President should come here and look at the devastation. If he didn't show up he would be criticised for not giving a chit.
I am not much of Bush defender these days but of course he should check it out.

Jbean it almost sounds like you an I were brought up the same way. I was raised no matter who is leading our country. To respect them as we the people voted them in.It did not matter what party either.They are human and make bad choices as history shows. My Mom and Dad used to tell me. If the poeple don't like the way the country is being ran. There is always Canada.

I heard that. They think they were either trying to back to Mexico

Four badly burned bodies have been found in a burned out rocky canyon near state Route 94 and Highway 188 just west of Potrero.

Law enforcement officials are at the scene and are trying to figure out the logistics of how to get down a very steep canyon wall.

A Border Patrol driving by saw one of the bodies on the canyon slope about 3:30 a.m. When he stopped to investigate he saw the other bodies about 75 to 100 yards down at the bottom of the deep ravine.

Two Border Patrol agents with a cadaver dog are sweeping the canyon right now to make sure there are no other bodies in the area.

The fire apparently just overtook the people, said Sheriff's Lt. Dave Myers.
"It's indicative of the extreme speed and intensity of the fire, " he said.

The bodies are of three men and one woman, said Border Patrol supervisor Joseph Mason.

Jbean it almost sounds like you an I were brought up the same way. I was raised no matter who is leading our country. To respect them as we the people voted them in.

So was I JDB, and now is no time to debate political views when fires are still raging.................shish :doh:

I'm not there so really have no right to complain. But if in a disaster most realize that dry facts and numbers really don't show the magnitude. Even news reports actually don't.

For instance I had heard the reports on TV. This many miles affected, this number of homes, how many people evacuated. But it wasn't until I made it here and heard the personal testimony and saw the pictures that showed what people were seeing that I actually had some understanding.

So when people are going to be asking for federal assistance, they do often need to have the prez to come in and really look at what is happening. Hoping the impact of actually seeing will cause the purse strings to open a bit more. Will it help? Who knows. But actually being there and seeing couldn't hurt when you are going to be asking for large amounts of money. Esp. since they were able to work it out to keep the firefighting efforts going.

So was I JDB, and now is no time to debate political views when fires are still raging.................shish :doh:
I was going to stay out - but yeesh! None of us are firefighters - discussing possible impacts on the lives of people fighting the fire, the lives of those still in danger from the fire, due to a political visit - is not going to hurt a single thing!

I'm so sick of accusations of disloyalty, and all kinds of other implications, for talking about our government, as if any question, finding any fault is not permitted. This is the American way, and how we improve, to look at what we are doing, to question. Other places, they can censor any dissent, prohibit any questions of what the dictator does. This is America. Yes, you can debate political views anytime - or in this case, simply question if a political visit needs to be made at a time when it could cause disruption to the firefighters efforts to put out those raging fires!

Four badly burned bodies have been found in a burned out rocky canyon near state Route 94 and Highway 188 just west of Potrero.

Law enforcement officials are at the scene and are trying to figure out the logistics of how to get down a very steep canyon wall.

A Border Patrol driving by saw one of the bodies on the canyon slope about 3:30 a.m. When he stopped to investigate he saw the other bodies about 75 to 100 yards down at the bottom of the deep ravine.

Two Border Patrol agents with a cadaver dog are sweeping the canyon right now to make sure there are no other bodies in the area.

The fire apparently just overtook the people, said Sheriff's Lt. Dave Myers.
"It's indicative of the extreme speed and intensity of the fire, " he said.

The bodies are of three men and one woman, said Border Patrol supervisor Joseph Mason.
--that's awful news

Bottom line it didn't hamper anything right? There was a logistical problem it was addressed and it's all good. So I just don't see how his visit was disruptive.

IIRC, this morning channel 10 anchors discussed the fact that air support will be grounded during the presidents visit. Whether a definite comprimise was later reached, I do not know.

During hurricane Katrina food drops and air rescue efforts WERE stopped at any area the president visited in the hurricane zone.

It is security related to 911. Of course we have to protect the president, any president. But his visits are not helping if the disaster efforts have to stop because he wants a "look see"!!! And this applies to ANY president.

I'm so sick of accusations of disloyalty, and all kinds of other implications, for talking about our government, as if any question, finding any fault is not permitted. This is the American way, and how we improve, to look at what we are doing, to question.

I would think most of our Cali friends would agree that a bi-partisan inquiry should be forthcoming based on this failure to respond more quickly to the Santa Ana Fires of 2007, Arnie's bluster notwithstanding.

I was going to stay out - but yeesh! None of us are firefighters - discussing possible impacts on the lives of people fighting the fire, the lives of those still in danger from the fire, due to a political visit - is not going to hurt a single thing!

I'm so sick of accusations of disloyalty, and all kinds of other implications, for talking about our government, as if any question, finding any fault is not permitted. This is the American way, and how we improve, to look at what we are doing, to question. Other places, they can censor any dissent, prohibit any questions of what the dictator does. This is America. Yes, you can debate political views anytime - or in this case, simply question if a political visit needs to be made at a time when it could cause disruption to the firefighters efforts to put out those raging fires!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, my above post is NOT political. It directly referes to disaster services being disrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz