Sochi Winter Olympics: Video threat emerges amid security concerns

US isn't the safest country in the world by any means. All the mass shootings, and terrorists attack that went on here.
One can never be a 100 % safe.

True but do you think the US would have had terrorists infiltrate security zones? If they're so secure how in the heck did they get through?

~~~~~~

The U.S. is assisting Russia in the search for a suspected terrorist who could already be inside the security zone set up for next month's winter Olympics in Sochi.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/01/female_terrorist_has_already_i.html

US security experts have voiced new security concerns ahead of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, as Russian authorities were trying to hunt down alleged female suicide bombers believed to be in or near the Black Sea resort.

Talking to journalists at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, former US Deputy National Security Advisor, Juan C. Zarate, warned of “clear threats” from terrorist groups operating in the North Caucasus.

These groups are focusing on vulnerable “soft targets like transportation hubs”, said Zarate, who was responsible for developing and implementing the US government’s counterterrorism strategy and policies related to transnational security threats during President George W. Bush’s second term.

It was the first time the CSIS had organised a press briefing devoted to security issues at a global sports event. It followed a travel warning for the games, issued by the US State Department earlier this month.
http://www.euronews.com/2014/01/21/fresh-warnings-from-us-security-experts-of-sochi-terror-threats/

True but do you think the US would have had terrorists infiltrate security zones? If they're so secure how in the heck did they get through?

~~~~~~

The U.S. is assisting Russia in the search for a suspected terrorist who could already be inside the security zone set up for next month's winter Olympics in Sochi.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/01/female_terrorist_has_already_i.html

When did US even have security zones? This is something new Russia is trying, by forming a security circle around the event. As far as I know US never tried that.

US isn't the safest country in the world by any means. All the mass shootings, and terrorists attack that went on here.

I agree. It's not like the US can really talk considering there was a domestic terrorism bombing at the Atlanta games. I understand the concern but some of this is the old cold war prejudices coming out as well.

Only reason I wanted to chime in is that I had the opportunity to visit Moscow last year and I had a wonderful experience there. I know Sochi in a very different area of Russia, but it's a shame that with the heightened security, the Olympians' families might miss a chance of a lifetime to visit Russia. It's really an amazing country. I sincerely hope terrorists don't ruin the Winter Olympics.

I can't believe that they're saying now that possibly up to four of these black widows may have slipped thru Olympic security already....this really is incredible! I would be terrified if I was planning on attending.....not to mention all the athletes. But Putin says he will do whatever it takes to keep the games secure. Oh Okay....I feel better now.....not.

I agree. I understand the athletes have worked long and hard for this event, the biggest and most important in all of their lives. Would certainly not want to see their dreams and hopes for the future destroyed, or worse, silenced.

I am afraid we will not have a Winter Olympics, as we have had in the past.

I agree. I understand the athletes have worked long and hard for this event, the biggest and most important in all of their lives. Would certainly not want to see their dreams and hopes for the future destroyed, or worse, silenced.

I am afraid we will not have a Winter Olympics, as we have had in the past.

It's so sad for these athletes. Working hard for this goal and now this added stress.

The stories of the athletes telling their families to travel to Russia are breaking my heart. Such hard working athletes and then being so selfless. This is a terrible situation.

IMO the terrorists are going to try and make a statement, and unfortunately, IMO it is going to be directed at the US. I share in the concern that out of 40,000 police and security personnel, not all can be trusted. I have an uneasy feeling about these Olympics. I hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately, I think the Olympics may be targets for coming years no matter where they will be held. Do we think Rio (summer, 2016)will be safer?

Atlanta Olympics bombing 1996 is called a terrorist attack - killed 2, injured 111. Was the US a safe place?

Munich Olympics terrorism 1972 killed 11 Israelis. Der Spiegel's 2012 cover story said that German authorities had a tip-off from a Palestinian informant three weeks before the massacre. If so, even prior knowledge was either disregarded or not helpful.

Unfortunately, I think the Olympics may be targets for coming years no matter where they will be held. Do we think Rio (summer, 2016)will be safer?

Atlanta Olympics bombing 1996 is called a terrorist attack - killed 2, injured 111. Was the US a safe place?

Munich Olympics terrorism 1972 killed 11 Israelis. Der Spiegel's 2012 cover story said that German authorities had a tip-off from a Palestinian informant three weeks before the massacre. If so, even prior knowledge was either disregarded or not helpful.

And considering US actually had a terrorist attack at the Olympics, I am not sure why we are looking down at Russia?
If games were held here at US obviously the security would be a huge concern as well.

JMO, I'm very concerned for the safety of everyone attending. Hope I'm wrong. I love the winter olympics, my favorite sports.

This is so alarming. Always look forward to the Olympics. I'm almost afraid to watch :scared: I can only imagine how spectator ticket sales have dropped. Pray that all goes well. These athletes work so hard :please:

I feel less worry over the games in Russia than I do about the games in Japan in 2020. If I were an athlete, I would NOT go to that one.

I am most interested in watching the start when all of the different countries are coming in.. but I think that would be the time a terrorist would most want to strike, but it should have the most security.

I feel less worry over the games in Russia than I do about the games in Japan in 2020. If I were an athlete, I would NOT go to that one.

Why Japan? Certainly not terrorism. Are you concerned about the radiation? Tokyo is over 150 miles from Fukushima and the Olympics will be only one more reason the Japanese have to clean things up. Tokyo is a completely modern city with insanely low crime. It's a great place for the Olympics. I'd be far more worried about the safety issues in Brazil for the 2016 Olympics than Tokyo in 2020.

I'm actually of the opinion that while there may be a minor incident at the Olympics, something big may occur in another place while everyone's attention is on Sochi. But that's just me.

From above link:

"However, as Arthur noted "[W]hat we have is a sea of little failures that give rise to the spectre of bigger ones. The Boston Globe drove a local car within a couple hundred feet of the Main Press Centre Tuesday, which is a proximity unthinkable in previous Olympics."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back