Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

I also now realize part of the eeriness was because all the lawn mowers and vehicles and such stopped to watch. But seriously, I know I already said this, but that was actually the coolest thing ever. I hadn't even considered the temperature aspect before, and that was a big part of the whole experience. I've never seen anything like it. That totally blew away any sweet movie effects or anything artificial. I'm so glad I got to see it! I even had the day off paid because of the y2k like eclipsolypse nonsense. And it was nonsense... My phone, electricity, everything just fine. Anyway, I feel all weird and giddy.

Not in the path of total eclipse here in S.W. Ontario but it is getting dimmer here. Slight breeze and a few birds flying. Soon will be much dimmer.

Well that was super, super weird. I thought it would be like a rapid nightfall but it was rather eerie. The light was like being on a stage with very detailed shadows. I got some cool shadow pictures of my messy hair sticking out and of the cat walking on the deck. The leaves made some amazing shadow patterns as well. When totality approached there was almost total silence (except for my kids!). All the usually noisy birds were quiet.

I wondered if the chickens would go to bed but they were caught off guard in the yard. Kind of like "what just happened?!?!" It got kind of chilly as well and the automatic lights turned on in the yard. The strangest thing was that the light was very different than usual sunlight. All in all a very interesting experience!!Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.03.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.03.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.03.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.03.38 AM.png

I will have same experience as BDE. I can see sunlight out front door but no sunlight coming thru kitchen skylight.

I can feel a temperature change now but it is still humid. Our tree is casting tons of crescent shapes all over the deck. It is really neat!

Weird shadows in backyard now. It has definitely gotten darker in the house. We're still about 25 minutes from totality here in metro-Detroit.

Ok, somone here at work taped a white sheet of paper on our 15th floor deck and will hold a paper plate with a pinhole above it. No one has glasses. I believe we will see the hole on the paper slowly disappear and reappear.

Totality for us is in about 35 minutes, at about 73%.

Light, puffy clouds obliterating some of the sun, but I can definitely see the moon moving across. Awesome!

Less than 10 minutes to totality. I'm heading out on the deck for a final peek at the peak :D

We were supposed to have 93* totality and I have to say, I was expecting it to get darker than it did. It really stayed very light out and if I didn't know something was happening, I would not have known anything happened. :(

We were supposed to have 93* totality and I have to say, I was expecting it to get darker than it did. It really stayed very light out and if I didn't know something was happening, I would not have known anything happened. :(

We only had 90% here but it looked like just before sunset, only the shadows were in the wrong place.

Chalky sky and unmagnificent as yet (everyone's a critic) an hour south of Albany.

Sun appears a bit puny.

Eclipse basically over here because it's gotten pretty cloudy. At the peak, it was kind of eerie - like the calm before the storm when the sky turns grey, and everything gets really quiet. Skeery!

Yeah! Someone in the office had glasses and passed it around. I saw the eclipse only through those glasses, otherwise it was still bright and sunny here.

I'm so glad I was able to see through those glasses, otherwise to the naked eye and the fact that the sky didn't dim I would have never believed it.

Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas is at anchor in the Atlantic for eclipse viewing. Bonnie Tyler is supposed to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart during the total eclipse. They are going to feature it shortly on CNN.

The 93% here in Oregon was the same. It amazed me how much light the pretty small sliver put out. I wondered if the smoke in the air caused the light to be more diffused and brighter, but apparently that's what 93% looks like if you had the same experience in KS. Oh well. I didn't feel like driving 3-4 hours north and braving the crowds, so it's all good.

NASA -- which is all about the eclipse today -- is having a bit of fun with it, tweeting a joke about the moon blocking the sun -- on social media

[video=twitter;899681358737539073]https://twitter.com/NASAMoon/status/899681358737539073[/video]

Well, this didn't hold a candle (no pun) to the one in '79 with my shoe box camera on the backstairs steps at 104 E. Forest C4.

Then again, I was 24 then, so the results might be sightly skewed in its favor!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back