Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

We saw it in Nebraska. Totality was amazing!
Now we drive 12 hrs home.

It got kind of cloudy ish looking. If I didn't know, I wouldn't have known. We are right in thepath so I was expecting darkness. The squirrels were a little freaked out. I guess I was expecting more darkness. Frankly, it was a little disappointing.

We weren't in the totality zone - but 93% was still fun. My daughter & I watched it together in our backyard.

We used her boyfriend's welding mask (set to Shade 13).

The temperature change was very noticeable - we were uncomfortably hot before the eclipse, but suddenly we were almost cold.

The ambient light was golden and surreal - almost like a painting.

The crescent shadows through the tree leaves looked like thousands of mini-eclipses on the ground.

The birds went collectively silent all at once - except for one rambunctious duck on the lake.

I'm happy to have shared it with my daughter! These are times that memories are made of!

Hi all, from 99.2% in Southwest Washington state. It was beautiful here this morning, perfectly clear. A bit after 9 a.m. the moon started her transit, taking just over an hour to achieve near totality. Around 10 a.m. the light got really weird and it got noticeably cooler.

I was wearing my superdark desert sunglasses, with my kiln glasses over those, and a pair of clip-on sunglasses over the kiln glasses. It was the perfect filter.

I wasn't really seeing any cool shadows and eclipse images from the trees in the back garden, so I opened the front door and found a lovely display on my front walk. The small leaves from a fairly tall shrub by the front door created the perfect slivers for the pinhole effect. Will try to upload one of my photos.

I had started some incense burning at the beginning, and did some meditating as well. There was a global unity meditation at 11:11 PDT that I participated in. It was good to have some grounding and channeling of all the strong energy this eclipse has been generating for me in recent weeks. I'm a bit relieved it's on the downhill slide now, tbh.

Being witness to these large celestial mechanics events is a wonderful life-affirming experience. I was lucky enough to spend Midsummer's night at Avebury stone circle in England in 2001 - the first in many years that wasn't rainy. I'll never forget a single detail about that night. I wish I'd been able to get to Central Oregon for today's eclipse as I know totality is a whole different experience. Maybe 2024........

Here in NE Kansas it was heavy cloud cover it still got very dark. it was more like night time dark and lasted a couple of minutes. Disappointed we didn't get the full effect of the Eclipse you just can't count on mother nature. We were in the 98 - 99% range.

I believe St Joesph, MO was one of the top 3 places to go see the Total Eclipse and it ended up being cloudy and rainy there also.

We had excellent news coverage from the Kansas City Stations.

:tyou: to everyone who shared their personal experiences of the eclipse. Awesome group here!

[video=youtube;y06eDGWUREg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06eDGWUREg[/video]

Here's some great totality footage from Nashville, TN and Clemson, SC.

I admit, I was not into the eclipse hype so I worked right through (busy busy trial prep - the law never rests, not even for an eclipse) but I ran home at lunch and 2 of my dogs were trembling and scared, one of whom is the alpha dog, so I was a little surprised. I wish they could tell me what it was like for them!

I am enjoying hearing and reading about others' experiences today more than I think I would have enjoyed actually seeing it myself.

Thanks all for sharing here!

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-s...-watch-eclipse-over-1503106181-htmlstory.html

Ready for a recap? Watch 'Eclipse Over America' tonight on NOVA

“Eclipse Over America” is an hour-long documentary recounting the day’s events. Producers will incorporate footage from public television stations in cities that happened to be along the path of totality, the roughly 70-mile-wide swath of the country that experienced a total eclipse.

The show will be broadcast at 9 p.m. on public television stations around the country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back