SOUND OFF! Say what's on your mind, but do not RESPOND TO what other posters write.

We the people need to take our nation back from Big Oil.

WE THE PEOPLE.

The president isn't going to do help us with it. He is part of Big Oil. Great pals with the Saudis, when the 9/11 terrorists were from there. Speaking of disasters. And apparently could give a rats behind about the American people, if those particular American people don't fit in his agenda.

His plan to "spread freedom" apparently doesn't apply here in the US, with people locked in football stadiums like cattle to be raped, mudered and die from thirst, while armed thugs roam the streets terrorizing the citizens. Something about that reminds me of Nazi Germany. Of course, I really want no part of the kind of freedom he is spreading, if it's the kind he spread in Iraq, which took what little rights women had away from them.

Yeah, everyone who feels like it should just go ahead and bash Clinton, bash the Kennedys if it makes them feel better. Because that's all it does. It's not constructive, it just makes them feel better. And YOU deserve to feel better. We all do. But while you're feeling better, think of the death toll under Bush. Not just from the war, but right here at home. Dead babies don't help further the cause in Iraq, people locked in stadiums don't help either. Homeless families don't help. So why think about them? Because THEY are US. As in USA.

As for Bush, he's another story. It's time that WE THE PEOPLE did something about that. Actually the time was in November 2004, unfortunately it took a lot more death and mayhem right here at home for some people to think about it. Some people still don't. :(

It makes me sick that the federal government did not step in and fix that levy long ago. People knew that it was dangerous and funding was cut. This could have been prevented. The government is allowing people to die and ignoring dangers all over the USA because of money. It also makes me sick and afraid to think that there was such chaos and no communication or quick response in such a disaster. Something could happen to any of us and we might be in the same shape as the people of New Orleans. I hope it isn't all just glossed over and that the environment and safety issues in this country become more important to everyone.

Our country is putting their arms and hearts around these storm victims, not just the ones who had to be evacuated, but those who were able to get out and drive away. They too have nothing to go back to.

This storm has nothing to do with the oil crisis or the war in Iraq or ones politics. Those are all other battles to be addressed at another time, another place.

Perhaps our President assumed the governor was doing the proper things because he was aware of what was possible. Although he could not order the NG in, he should have been aware or made aware of the situation just like we were via the press. Tell me a phone call from the Pres wouldn't have gotten through or would have been refused!

LA let LA down, years ago. Below sea level - so each administration must take responsibility for the lack of repair/replacement. Now, alas, that is history and a lesson that costs many lives.

I feel so helpless but one thing I can do is take a look around my own area. We have people living near places where the water always rises, they are always having to be taken to shelters. So, although it won't help these victims, it may prevent having our own on a much smaller scale.

I have a question that keeps running through my mind. We know they are talking about rebuilding NO. We know that NO will almost have to be built from the ground up.
Now my totally irreverent question- after rebuilding will they continue to call the city New Orleans? Or will it be New, New Orleans or even New Orleans 2?

Slapping may now commence.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO ANOTHER'S POST. (even if they request to be slapped)

Our first line of defense in any disaster is our state and local government. That's important to know and understand...today!!! before it happens.

It is true fact that the state of La (Gov Blanco) did not request federal assistance until Wednesday night in her personal call to Bush...and that was almost 24hrs after the levees broke...the water started rising and bodies were seen floating. IMO, this was where the horrible disaster became evident because the hurricane, as bad as it was, isn't what has caused this devastation in New Orleans. (buildings,homes, etc are not blown apart there like they are along the Gulf coast)

The Feds can not step over state governments with federal troops unless requested to do so....but it does seem like (someone) would have informed Gov Blanco of this fact a lot sooner. IMO, she dropped the ball...along with the mayor of NO. HE had hundreds of school buses as well as city buses that were available for use when he ordered a mandantory evacuation of the city last Sat and Sun. Those buses were underwater by Tues afternoon. They could have been used to evacuate the city housing projects where so many of the poor were/are the ones that have suffered so terribly.

However, those people needed to drive those hundreds of buses are also residences of New Orleans too...and no doubt were trying to get their families out too.

All most of us can do now is to be informed...learn what emergency measures are policy where you leave for getting citizens out of harms way and evacutation routes...careing for people in the wake of desaster that would render you and your loveones homeless.....and make as large a donation to the Red Cross as you possible can now !!!!!!!!

Post hurricane I am having a hard time listening to Chertoff spouting untruth and condescending to reporters asking him questions. He is almost batting them away like flies. Does anyone know if he goes when Bush does? Can Brown go with him? His Arabian Horse Association job did not provide enough background for his FEMA job.

It really makes me mad that the mayor of New Orleans had a completely inadequate plan for hurricane evacuation. Passing the buck and blaming everyone else for his problems, sounded like welfare mentality to me.

It infuriates me that my governor, having arranged for supplies and help, hesitated instead of sending these men, and tons of water and food into the city. It makes me even madder that she hesitated asking for help. And now it's everyones fault but hers. More welfare mentality.She let us down and needs to step up to the bat. (She's doing better now, got a wonderful ex-FEMA guy in charge)

It enrages me that FEMA is now under homeland security and that has bound up fema instead of freeing them up to help.

I am pissed off that some of the evacuees are causing problems in my town. We are here helping and they are stealing from us. Bad!

I am really having a hard time feeling friendly toward the lady who was interviewed on TV yesterday, screeching that she'd been given an MRE to eat and that "wasn't no hot meal. I want a hot meal." Her lack of gratefulness for help is appalling.

I am worried how the images from New Orleans will effect racism in the world.

Just yesterday I was out doing some errands and I noticed a familiy (African American) pushing a shopping cart overflowing with stuff and the first thing that came to my mind was those images of looting in New Orleans - but this family was just shopping!

:slap: <--- me

Also, before this hurricane if you had asked me would I open my home to hurricane victims who lost everything - I am sure I would have said 'of course'

Now that has changed and I am hesitant and would want to know WAY more about who I would be hosting in my home for 6 months+++ before I would consider it.

This is really sad for me to be admitting these feelings I am having, please don't flame me - it's just what is going through my head right now. Those looting images and stories of violence have really effected how I feel.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Unfortunately, what is done is done. My hope is that they now have a better plan in place to clean up, rebuild and do everything possible to keep this tragedy from occurring again in the future.

I also hope that the looters, to include the three female police officers, are held accountable for their actions.

P.S. For those that need clarification, I am not referring to the looters who were only taking the necessities of life. Their actions are understandable. :)

I forgot: Don't blame all this crap on the oil companies. None of us would be able to use our vehicles today, warm our homes this winter, pave our roads, etc. without those companies. And oil companies are made up of PEOPLE like my husband who work in unbelievable conditions, for hours days and weeks at a time to drill and pump that oil up out of the ground for you. It's not all "big company" it's "little people" too.

Big oil is not perfect. NO big industry is. NONE!

get your own survival plan with supplies that are appropriate to whatever disaster you are prone to in your area.
All the city, state, and federal help in the world won't do a thing for you if you haven't take steps to preserve your own family for as long as it takes to receive the help. BE PREPARED. It must start from the bottom up. Find out what your city offers in case of disaster in your area. Know what is and isn't available.

Our church has been telling its members for years to get a 2 year food and water supply, and have money in savings. This is in case you lose a job and need to rely on it or have a natural disaster such as this. They teach us to be as self sufficient as possible. On top of that we all have 72 hour emergency kits. In here we have everything we need to live for 3 days. Most of it is in backpacks and can be put on our back at a moment's notice. Some people carry them in their cars. But anyway, if any of you are interested in getting started I am sure you can google the information or find a LDS person you know who would be glad to help you get started. Just like with our family history centers we will not bug you about religion, but are always glad to help. I went through our 72 hour kits and they need refreshing. My son who is now 6'3" has way outgrown his clothes. :D

I wish I could go down there and help, I WANT to go down there and help.

I am sick of feeling trapped with the feeling that there's nothing I can do to help and feeling guilty that I can make a hot cup of soup when there are babies crying for milk and juice.

I wish my stupid veins weren't so tiny that I was prohibited from giving blood.

Olivia77 said:
I wish I could go down there and help, I WANT to go down there and help.

I am sick of feeling trapped with the feeling that there's nothing I can do to help and feeling guilty that I can make a hot cup of soup when there are babies crying for milk and juice.

I wish my stupid veins weren't so tiny that I was prohibited from giving blood.

I know how you feel. Had this happened in August I would have gone down there as I was just putzing around my house all month, but the hurricane coincided with the beginning of classes and I can't jut up and leave when I have to teach. It is frustrating to just watch.

Cypros said:
I know how you feel. Had this happened in August I would have gone down there as I was just putzing around my house all month, but the hurricane coincided with the beginning of classes and I can't jut up and leave when I have to teach. It is frustrating to just watch.

My daughter and her friends left today with a Uhaul filled with supplies and will stop in Montgomery,Al to pick up more. They are heading to Baton Rouge for distribution as that is the largest concentration of refugees outside of Houston.

She and I wiill return in October after things are more settled down and we can see where help is needed the most.

My turn to spout:

I'm frustrated with people who believe we have no right to question where or how our government failed in this situation. It's a fact that someone dropped the ball on some level, perhaps on more than one level. The president is not God. He's a human just like the rest of us. He is NOT infallible. If I question his actions, or lack of, I am not committing blasphemy. 'We the people' are supposed to ask questions. Remember, It's our government, paid for out of our pockets. They work for us.

The constitution was set up with a system of checks and balances. The ultimate "check" is us. It's our responsibility as Americans to monitor what our government is doing. Blind faith has it's place, but it is not in government. It seems that some would prefer a system like what we're fighting in Iraq, we could simply shoot everyone who dares speak out against our leader.

From the Declaration of Independence:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

concernedperson said:
My daughter and her friends left today with a Uhaul filled with supplies and will stop in Montgomery,Al to pick up more. They are heading to Baton Rouge for distribution as that is the largest concentration of refugees outside of Houston.

She and I wiill return in October after things are more settled down and we can see where help is needed the most.

How wonderful of you and your daughter! I have two big boxes of clothes and can surely scrounge up more to donate, but I am in PA and have not yet heard of any place where they are collecting donations -- just money. I am sure it will happen once the initial rescue and relocation is over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back