Sounds

There are so many variables in our perception of, and the scientific measurement of sound and loudness that I wonder whether both PT and DT may have discarded pursuing particular details further (scream fade after bang etc.)

The following would all give a unique set of properties to the sound travel that evening:

Air temperature/humidity (at ground level, above the houses etc)
Wind direction
Time of day (dead of night, low ambient noise from community / traffic / aircraft / animals)
Man-made environment (echoey tiled bathroom, open window, toilet door)
Natural enviroment (flat open area beyond the bathroom window, surrounding properties creating echo)
Human physiology (how RS stopped screaming / how quickly she died)

I could certainly imagine it being difficult to ascertain exactly when a series of screams stopped amidst a shorter series of gunshots, both as a witness or a forensics expert.

The link posted earlier in the thread on screaming (http://www.audioforensics.com/PDFs/AES122_Scream.pdf) had quite a telling summary however (BBM)

A scream is similar to a babyís cry; there is nearly a
universally-understood agreement as to its meaning
regarding human calamity
, and its frequency content
seems almost tailored to frequencies of maximal
sensitivity on an equal-loudness contour. The level at
which a scream might be discriminated from other types
of sounds in most contexts is likely not much higher
than the level at which it can be detected, due to its
unique character.

It's very difficult to believe that the ear witnesses were all mistaken in hearing a women's terrified screams.

There are so many variables in our perception of, and the scientific measurement of sound and loudness that I wonder whether both PT and DT may have discarded pursuing particular details further (scream fade after bang etc.)

The following would all give a unique set of properties to the sound travel that evening:

Air temperature/humidity (at ground level, above the houses etc)
Wind direction
Time of day (dead of night, low ambient noise from community / traffic / aircraft / animals)
Man-made environment (echoey tiled bathroom, open window, toilet door)
Natural enviroment (flat open area beyond the bathroom window, surrounding properties creating echo)
Human physiology (how RS stopped screaming / how quickly she died)

I could certainly imagine it being difficult to ascertain exactly when a series of screams stopped amidst a shorter series of gunshots, both as a witness or a forensics expert.

The link posted earlier in the thread on screaming (http://www.audioforensics.com/PDFs/AES122_Scream.pdf) had quite a telling summary however (BBM)

It's very difficult to believe that the ear witnesses were all mistaken in hearing a women's terrified screams.
RBBM

And more difficult to explain why they heard a man yelling at the same time.

JMO

Can someone answer this?
Roux has alluded to other neighbors who heard things that night that the State "didn't make part of their case" (or something like that). He read their comments and their names in court. They are on the witness list.
So does that mean those witnesses will NOT ever be called by the defence because the State didn't make them part of their case? Or does he mean they didn't choose to bring them as witnesses, but he still can?

Can someone answer this?
Roux has alluded to other neighbors who heard things that night that the State "didn't make part of their case" (or something like that). He read their comments and their names in court. They are on the witness list.
So does that mean those witnesses will NOT ever be called by the defence because the State didn't make them part of their case? Or does he mean they didn't choose to bring them as witnesses, but he still can?

I think Nel is hoping the defence will call them:)

Can someone answer this?
These are the neighbours who heard no screaming, I presume? They therefore didn't hear Oscar screaming like a woman, either. ;)

I think Roux is playing witnesses on the stand by revealing evidence that's contradictory to what that witness is testifying. I'm not certain he'd call them simply because I can't figure out how they'd help his case. But yes, Roux can call any witness he likes, to include the State's witnesses. And Nel may very well request a rebuttal depending on how the defence proceeds. Witnesses could be called or even recalled then as well.

These are the neighbours who heard no screaming, I presume? They therefore didn't hear Oscar screaming like a woman, either. ;)

I think Roux is playing witnesses on the stand by revealing evidence that's contradictory to what that witness is testifying. I'm not certain he'd call them simply because I can't figure out how they'd help his case. But yes, Roux can call any witness he likes, to include the State's witnesses. And Nel may very well request a rebuttal depending on how the defence proceeds. Witnesses could be called or even recalled then as well.

Sir/madam...........your house is joined to Mr.Pistorious am I correct in saying that?

Yes M'lady.

And did you hear any woman's screams on the night of the incident?

We heard a gruff voice M'lady but thought it was Oscar's dogs barking at a hedgehog !!!:truce:

edit...............that was meant to be OP pretending to be screaming in a woman's voice!
No intention whatsoever to discredit or offend Reeva in any way:(

Can someone answer this?

I have a feeling that one of the witnesses - I think this is the next door neighbours who Roux said didn't hear a woman screaming - called security at 3:16 (I can't remember the name, it was something complicated beginning with 'N'). Their name was on the list of calls to Baba, IIRC. So I'm very curious to know what they heard, given that they obviously heard something if they felt the need to call security, but apparently no female screaming. Hard to believe they would've heard the first shots but not the screams and shouts which followed. And it seems too early for them to have been calling about the second set.

To answer your question, Roux certainly can still call them if he wants to, but whether he'll do so is anyone's guess. It might depend on how convincing he thinks the prosecution has been in claiming there were female screams; if he thinks there's already doubt about that he might not want to risk it.

ETA: This from the juror 13 blog, the witness's name is Nhlengethwa.

Mr Nhlengethwa is the second to call security
His call was first attempted at 3:16:16am with no answer
His call went through at 3:16:36am. He reported shots heard.

Can someone answer this?

The prosecution chose not to call these witnesses. (I think Nel and Andrea Johnson thought these witnesses were no longer needed. They think they've proved their case with existing witnesses.)

The defense can now call any of these witnesses on the state's witness list if they choose.

Hoop dit help?

IIRC one or both Stipps said when they tried to locate the source of the woman's screams and the first set of bangs that their eyes immediately went to OP's next door neighbor's house which had a number of lights on at the time. If that's Mr. Nhlengethwa, he may have been awake but watching tv or involved in something else at the time, perhaps with his ac running and windows closed.

IIRC one or both Stipps said when they tried to locate the source of the woman's screams and the first set of bangs that their eyes immediately went to OP's next door neighbor's house which had a number of lights on at the time. If that's Mr. Nhlengethwa, he may have been awake but watching tv or involved in something else at the time, perhaps with his ac running and windows closed.

That's true, but at the same time he obviously heard the gunshots. Surely he didn't just shrug, continue watching TV and then 15 minutes later decided to call security? Was he waiting for the show he was watching to finish? You'd think after hearing gunshots you'd at least turn the sound down!

If in fact he heard shots but no voices, one interesting point is that it calls into question the timing of the 3 a.m. shots. I find it unlikely that he waited 15 minutes to call security, then coincidentally happened to call them at almost the exact same time as Dr. Stipp. That might be more understandable if he heard voices as well (he could've been listening to find out what was going on) but not so much if he heard nothing for fifteen minutes after the shots. It seems more probable the first shots happened closer to 3:15 than 3:00, maybe around 3:10.

What would really be helpful is a full list of the times of all the calls made (i.e. the Burger/Johnsons and the van der Merwes as well).

I had a chance yesterday to listen to the Burger and Van Der Mewre testimonies once again and it's so interesting to listen to it after we know so much more.

One thing that stood out to me is I could understand a lot better now why people heard what they did.

BURGER/JOHNSON

They did not hear the first set of bangs because they were further away than the Stipps. Meaning that the first set was likely a fainter sound (wood on wood?)

But they were still close enough to hear loud blood-curdling screaming and gunshots in the middle of the night with their window open. Their house is not as far as you may think it is. I included photos below. They are on the very border of Silver Stream and Silver Woods. Their bedroom faces OP's bathroom. There are maybe only 4-5 houses in between.

Also look at the aerial view of OP's neighborhood. Silver Steam is the much denser population of homes that you can see at the top of the pic. This gives you a good idea of how close they actually were.

VAN DER MEWRE

Estelle heard a loud female arguing voice starting at 1:56am. Her bedroom balcony faces the front of OP's house. Pics of their home is included below too. Looking down from an aerial view, they are across the street and one house to the left. A very close distance.

My thought is that the initial arguing that she heard was taking place somewhere in the front or left side of the house closer to the 2am hour. Maybe in the kitchen or downstairs lounge area. The arguing was intermittent. That indicates to me that OP and Reeva likely moved to another location of the home during the fight and that is why she couldn't consistently hear the arguing.

She also did not hear the blood-curdling screaming beforehand but did hear the gunshots. Again, because the screaming was taking place in the bedroom/bathroom area which is on the back side of the house. But the gunshots would definitely be loud enough to hear.

She describes total silence afterwards. This matches the Burger/Johnson account of the sounds that they heard at 3:16/3:17. Shots then total silence.

Estelle did not give an exact time for the shots, just that they occurred sometime around 3am. She likely did not hear any bat on wood sounds because again, it's happening at the back of the house and it's not as loud as the gunshots.

They did hear the loud crying of OP sometime later because don't forget, OP made his way to the front of the house to open the front door. He is now facing their bedroom, and they can hear better.

STIPPS

They heard both the wood and gunshot sounds because their open bedroom balcony directly faces OP's bathroom window across a small open lot. They probably had the best vantage point of anybody to hear everything.

They hear the wood on wood at 3am-ish. They hear the blood-curdling screams in between for several minutes and they hear the gunshots around 3:16/3:17. They also hear OP crying for help after 3:17.

It all makes perfect sense to me now!

Attachments

• van der mewre blue house across street.jpg
    van der mewre blue house across street.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 23
  • OP neighborhood.jpg
    OP neighborhood.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • OP aerial view of home.jpg
    OP aerial view of home.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 23
  • OP house.jpg
    OP house.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • silver stream estates.jpg
    silver stream estates.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 23
That's true, but at the same time he obviously heard the gunshots. Surely he didn't just shrug, continue watching TV and then 15 minutes later decided to call security? Was he waiting for the show he was watching to finish? You'd think after hearing gunshots you'd at least turn the sound down!

If in fact he heard shots but no voices, one interesting point is that it calls into question the timing of the 3 a.m. shots. I find it unlikely that he waited 15 minutes to call security, then coincidentally happened to call them at almost the exact same time as Dr. Stipp. That might be more understandable if he heard voices as well (he could've been listening to find out what was going on) but not so much if he heard nothing for fifteen minutes after the shots. It seems more probable the first shots happened closer to 3:15 than 3:00, maybe around 3:10.

What would really be helpful is a full list of the times of all the calls made (i.e. the Burger/Johnsons and the van der Merwes as well).

Burger/Johnson got through to their security number (which unfortunately was not the right one) at 3:16am. The call lasted 58 seconds. They heard the gunshots immediately after that. Somehow, they must be off by a minute or two due to the other two calls below.

Stipp got through to Silver Woods security/Baba at 3:15:51, according to records. He reported gunshots.

Nhlengethwa got through to Baba at 3:16:36, according to records. He reported gunshots. (He first tried to get through at 3:16:15, but no answer)

Based on this, I believe the gunshots (not bat strikes) occurred right around the 3:15:30am timeframe (give or take 30 seconds).

Those pics are extremely helpful, lisasalinger. I wonder if the neighbors, those who heard and those much nearer who claim they didn't, anticipated the negative reaction they'd receive if they came forward with info.

i notice dixon is not on the list, how did nel know so much about the guy, if the prosecution didn't know he was being used?

Burger/Johnson got through to their security number (which unfortunately was not the right one) at 3:16am. The call lasted 58 seconds. They heard the gunshots immediately after that. Somehow, they must be off by a minute or two due to the other two calls below.

Stipp got through to Silver Woods security/Baba at 3:15:51, according to records. He reported gunshots.

Nhlengethwa got through to Baba at 3:16:36, according to records. He reported gunshots. (He first tried to get through at 3:16:15, but no answer)

Based on this, I believe the gunshots (not bat strikes) occurred right around the 3:15:30am timeframe (give or take 30 seconds).

stipp heard the second sounds during his call, which lasted 16 seconds. Nhlengethwa is the next door neighbour of the house where stipp said all the upstairs lights were on - only a few metres away. Nhlengethwa first called security [but didn't get through] at 3:16:13. i would put the second sounds between 3:51:51 and 3:16:13.

it is going to take a lot of new defence evidence to convince me that these were not the 4 gunshots.

With 30 days to ponder... I'm just playing around with some thoughts.

Is it possible that the first set of bangs that Dr. And Mrs. Stipp heard were the hip shot? Because it woke them out of sleep, they possibly confused 3 bangs for 1. Then a few minutes later, they heard the remaining three shots.

• Dr. Stipp’s account of the first bangs, the time on the balcony, his phone calls and the second shot occuring while dialing, were much quicker than Mrs. Stipp’s. If I had to estimate the amount of time that Dr. Stipp is seemingly describing, it sounds to me like maybe 2 minutes, give or take.
  • We know that Mangena made an extremely compelling case for there being some amount of time in between the hip shot and the other three shots.
  • And this would certainly explain the blood-curdling screams in between sounds that were so disturbing to the neighbors that heard them.
  • We also know that Burger/Johnson heard a pause in between the first shot and the remaining three shots, although they made it sound as if the pause was only a few seconds. But it was a noticeable pause.
  • If we remove Mrs. Stipp’s report of it being 3:02am, and push that time later, and then lengthen the amount of time for the pause heard by Burger/Johnson, then we could very well have our two sets of bangs. This would explain why everybody who heard those sounds were so hell bent on them being gunshots... because they were.
  • I suppose it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Mrs. Stipp did look at her clock at 3:02am, but maybe there was some passage of time while lying in bed that she didn’t account for. Maybe she awoke, and as she said, she was flu-ish and pondering whether or not to get some water. Maybe more minutes passed than she thought when she was pondering this.
  • And for Burger/Johnson, they are at a further distance. Sound carries differently when further away. Maybe the time in between the first shot and the rest was really longer and they just didn’t account for it accurately.
  • Mrs. van der Mewre heard bangs shortly after 3am, but her testimony was not a definitive 3am on the dot. Plus the interpreter was terrible, very hard to understand her during all of Mrs. van der Mewre's testimony, so that may put some things in to question.

This is purely speculation on my behalf. I’m just throwing it out there to all my smart WS buddies to pick it apart and either tell me that this idea is totally crazy or come up with other thoughts/evidence to support this. Go for it! :)

Yes I can imagine someone, anyone in that situation running around in a frenzy. I can also imagine a man screaming and wailing in a high pitched tone. The description weeping and wailing springs to mind. It is not just women who react like this when faced with such horrific circumstances.
However I don't feel as sorry for OP as I did earlier, I have seen him in a different light, but I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt up to this point. Still trying to keep an open mind.

I am all for giving people a fair hearing - If you feel sorry for Oscar then I respect your opinion. (Even if I don't like or agree with it.)

I though, feel sorry for Reeva and her family. Reeva for obvious reasons and the family, because the only person who can help them understand exactly what happened that night, is asking them to believe the following:

A Pathologist says Reeva ate around 1am. OP says she didn't.
The last ever words Reeva spoke on this planet were, " Can't you sleep Baba?"
She never uttered another word or made another sound, apart from closing a door & moving a magazine rack.
He says she was in bed when he hobbled round it to pull the fans in, and back round it to fetch his gun. - Although he never looked at the bed.
Once he had closed the curtains, the room was so dark, he could not see anything.
The noise of the fans, prevented him hearing Reeva get out of bed.
But the noise of the fans, did not prevent him hearing a window open over 10 metres away.
In pitched darkness, he hobbled round the bed & felt for his gun under it. He never looked at the bed.
He then spoke to her, but she didn't answer.
He began a 9 metre journey, unsteady on his stumps.
He began screaming. Not shouting. Screaming. Reeva stayed silent in the bed behind him.
He went silent. She still never spoke.
He started screaming again, she stayed silent.
Instead of taking a covering position behind a wall, he stood out in the open bathroom.
He heard a movement. Not a sound - a movement.
He thought that movement was person or persons coming out of the toilet to attack him.
He didn't see anyone.
He didn't even see the door handle move.
He was a trained firearm user and he knew he should never fire unless he could see his target.
He never shouted a warning.
He never fired a warning shot.
He fired four times.

Still giving him the benefit of the doubt?

After the shots, he stands still for a few seconds.
Then he walks backwards on his stumps, in pitched darkness.
He goes round two 90 degree corners in pitched darkness towards his bed.
He climbs up on the bed backwards, looking at the passageway.
He scrambles over the bed, with a cocked gun in his hand.
He feels on the floor the other side of the bed with his other hand.
He does to disturb any of the items on the floor.
He climbs off that side of the bed and does not disturb any of those same items.
Nor does he stand on any of them.
He walks back round the bed, past the two fans he clearly cannot see in the pitched dark.
He then hobbles very quickly back into the bathroom with a cocked gun still in his hand.
He charges the door a couple of times with his shoulder - holding the gun still.
He hobbles back into the bedroom, back round the bed, opens the blinds, curtains & balcony doors - with a gun in his hand.
That cocked gun does not go off again.
He shouts out loud on the balcony.
He goes back inside, puts the gun down and puts his prosthesis on.

He picks the gun up again, runs again into the bathroom and kicks the door.
He runs back into his bedroom & picks up the Cricket Bat.
He runs back into the bathroom with the bat and strikes the door.
At some point here, he puts the gun down.
He hits the door again & breaks into the cubicle & opens the door.

Upon seeing Reeva mortally wounded (with a head wound I won't describe) he moves her.
He then tries to use her phone.
He pulls her out of the toilet, leaves her on the floor and runs to collect his phones*
At some point, he has put the light on, but he does not not remember at which point.
He calls not the emergency services, but a man who will later testify to being a friendly neighbour. (Stander)
He calls security.
He then calls Netcare who he says, tell him to move Reeva along corridors, downstairs & into a car.

Security calls him and he tells them things are fine.
He carries Reeva through his house to the bottom of the stairs.
He decided the best way to stop the blood is with tape/ plastic bags & towels.

The house is filling up with people at this time. During this time, he washes off lots of the blood, makes other calls, puts his phone on charge but remembers nothing about those facts.

*One of his phones disappears until 4 days after the shooting

OP's friendly neighbour Stander, gives Dr Stipp details not to the Police, but to OP's lawyer who has been called.

At no point, does OP, or his entourage, feel it necessary to phone Reeva's family.

Now, you can still give OP the benefit of the doubt if you wish. You can still feel sorry for him. However, this is about the death of Reeva which in my opinion, is more important than the life of Pistorius. If after what I have outlined above you still feel the same, then I sincerely hope you never get selected for Jury service.

I am all for giving people a fair hearing - If you feel sorry for Oscar then I respect your opinion. (Even if I don't like or agree with it.)

I though, feel sorry for Reeva and her family. Reeva for obvious reasons and the family, because the only person who can help them understand exactly what happened that night, is asking them to believe the following:

A Pathologist says Reeva ate around 1am. OP says she didn't.
The last ever words Reeva spoke on this planet were, " Can't you sleep Baba?"
She never uttered another word or made another sound, apart from closing a door & moving a magazine rack.
He says she was in bed when he hobbled round it to pull the fans in, and back round it to fetch his gun. - Although he never looked at the bed.
Once he had closed the curtains, the room was so dark, he could not see anything.
The noise of the fans, prevented him hearing Reeva get out of bed.
But the noise of the fans, did not prevent him hearing a window open over 10 metres away.
In pitched darkness, he hobbled round the bed & felt for his gun under it. He never looked at the bed.
He then spoke to her, but she didn't answer.
He began a 9 metre journey, unsteady on his stumps.
He began screaming. Not shouting. Screaming. Reeva stayed silent in the bed behind him.
He went silent. She still never spoke.
He started screaming again, she stayed silent.
Instead of taking a covering position behind a wall, he stood out in the open bathroom.
He heard a movement. Not a sound - a movement.
He thought that movement was person or persons coming out of the toilet to attack him.
He didn't see anyone.
He didn't even see the door handle move.
He was a trained firearm user and he knew he should never fire unless he could see his target.
He never shouted a warning.
He never fired a warning shot.
He fired four times.

After the shots, he stands still for a few seconds.
Then he walks backwards on his stumps, in pitched darkness.
He goes round two 90 degree corners in pitched darkness towards his bed.
He climbs up on the bed backwards, looking at the passageway.
He scrambles over the bed, with a cocked gun in his hand.
He feels on the floor the other side of the bed with his other hand.
He does to disturb any of the items on the floor.
He climbs off that side of the bed and does not disturb any of those same items.
Nor does he stand on any of them.
He walks back round the bed, past the two fans he clearly cannot see in the pitched dark.
He then hobbles very quickly back into the bathroom with a cocked gun still in his hand.
He charges the door a couple of times with his shoulder - holding the gun still.
He hobbles back into the bedroom, back round the bed, opens the blinds, curtains & balcony doors - with a gun in his hand.
That cocked gun does not go off again.
He shouts out loud on the balcony.
He goes back inside, puts the gun down and puts his prosthesis on.

He picks the gun up again, runs again into the bathroom and kicks the door.
He runs back into his bedroom & picks up the Cricket Bat.
He runs back into the bathroom with the bat and strikes the door.
At some point here, he puts the gun down.
He hits the door again & breaks into the cubicle & opens the door.

Upon seeing Reeva mortally wounded (with a head wound I won't describe) he moves her.
He then tries to use her phone.
He pulls her out of the toilet, leaves her on the floor and runs to collect his phones*
At some point, he has put the light on, but he does not not remember at which point.
He calls not the emergency services, but a man who will later testify to being a friendly neighbour. (Stander)
He calls security.
He then calls Netcare who he says, tell him to move Reeva along corridors, downstairs & into a car.

Security calls him and he tells them things are fine.
He carries Reeva through his house to the bottom of the stairs.
He decided the best way to stop the blood is with tape/ plastic bags & towels.

The house is filling up with people at this time. During this time, he washes off lots of the blood, makes other calls, puts his phone on charge but remembers nothing about those facts.

*One of his phones disappears until 4 days after the shooting

OP's friendly neighbour Stander, gives Dr Stipp details not to the Police, but to OP's lawyer who has been called.

At no point, does OP, or his entourage, feel it necessary to phone Reeva's family.

Now, you can still give OP the benefit of the doubt if you wish. You can still feel sorry for him. However, this is about the death of Reeva which in my opinion, is more important than the life of Pistorius. If after what I have outlined above you still feel the same, then I sincerely hope you never get selected for Jury service.

Hi Gerry..............nice summation.
Classic closing argument IMO :)

ps.

Fit the 5 witnesses to Reeva screaming in there somewhere please and we can get this scum where he belongs ..........................for the rest of his natural.............TIA.

Some questions which make it harder to make a theory as to how things happened cause I have hesitations to accept the below as fact.

1- Toilet door key : OP's version depends on the key being inside and the door locked. However ;

* The key chain at least had another key on it (possib.bedroom door key )and that is very unusual for an inside door to have keys altogether like that. why would another room's key be on the toilet door ? The green thingy rather makes it look like a spare set for the main bedroom.

* How did the key fall on the floor with the bat's hits? That lock mechanism should be turned right or left for unlock position for the key to fall down.
On the photos the key is on outside of the toilet door .Me thinks that could be the initial position and OP had to add that key found on the floor thing because if it hadn't fallen on the floor , OP wouldn't need to put it the other side where it is found but rather reach out his hand and turn the key to right or left.
That's why the affi explained this key found on the floor thing with detail which makes me suspect abt its truth.. (My interpretation )

* OP had the gun ready in hand with bullets .. he had previously shot thru the door.. Why not try to unlock the door with shotting at the lock part first instead of beating the door with the bat.

* Door panels rather looks to me taken out partially by hand ..not big crashes for the key to jump on the floor..

* OP mentioned hearing the door slam but no mention of the sound of the key locking..why?

So, at some point that night OP might have locked her inside. Quite possibily between the two set of shots heard by Stipps imo. maybe to silence her , hiding behind the door himself.

Pure speculation and could be wrong :)

~snipped to save space~

Excellent post, HF.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spunky55