South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you patCee, I forgot that SD had contact with Tongo to meet at the bridge on the Waterfront. I'm probably nit picking but if SD was so concerned about being spotted by the media, why all the effort to get a car and go out in public just to go shopping to buy 10 handmade cards and to meet Tongo at the bridge? Tongo never made it because he couldn't get transport, so the meeting without CCTV that SD planned didn't go ahead. Hmmmm.

I'm going over the tweets and hoping nothing important has been missed.

Another point that's troubling me, on the Sat. night, Tongo was supposed to pick them up from the hotel at 7.30pm. Tongo was nearly an hour late, why did SD wait for him, couldn't he and Anni just hire another taxi? Tongo is not a chauffeur of a private Limousine, why ruin their night out because of Tongo's lateness? :/

Some more burning questions -

Why doesn't SD reveal the name of the pilot or company? Surely he got that, he's a well-educated businessman/millionaire, Tongo is nowhere near his equal, so SD wants the court to believe he was going to pay R15 000 TO Tongo for a helicopter flight and had no name, address, nothing?

Agreed totally re pilot, that's always struck me as odd.

I hadn't thought about when Tongo was late to collect them from the hotel. Spot on, not forgetting that SD is supposedly a 'control freak' and would not be expected to put up with that, especially as they were only staying for a few days.

Just caught up with the posts, for the last eight pages or so I only had a thanks button but no post button for some reason. All o.k. now since the new thread...Big Thanks to you all for the tweets.

So in all fairness to the accused, Shrien Dewani, the revelation of a prison confession from Tongo has saved the day. If anyone has missed the last thread this is what happened -

An inmate at Malmesbury Prison in Cape Town alleged that Zola Tongo told him he and his accomplices initially planned to kidnap honeymooner Anni Hindocha and hold her ransom, the Western Cape High Court heard on Wednesday.

Francois van Zyl, for her husband Shrien, asked Tongo during cross-examination whether he knew Bernard Mitchell or “Beano”, who was two cells down from him.

Tongo, 34, the State's 12th witness, said he did not know who he was.

Van Zyl said that in October 2011, Dewani appointed Taswell Papier as an attorney in Cape Town while he was opposing his extradition from the United Kingdom.

He said a prison warder contacted Papier on Mitchell's behalf and said the prisoner had information which may be of relevance.

Papier went to see Mitchell and he apparently revealed that Tongo took him into his confidence about his intentions for his clients the Dewanis.

Tongo was adamant he did not know Mitchell and that these were prison stories.

Investigating officer, Captain Paul Hendrickse, shook his head and smiled as he heard the hearsay in court.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/rape-plan-ruined-anni-kidnap-plot-1.1776051#.VFsGNzSUefU

I'm going through things in my mind again. I can't understand why Dewani never suspected Tongo was involved in the hijacking incident.

Why would Tongo stop his vehicle for 2 armed men ( Mngeni and Qwabe) on the side of the road in a remote township? Wouldn't a driver who was not involved speed off, why stop and let the hijackers who are on foot, in the vehicle? jmo

Have had a chance to sleep on this ..... here's what is troubling me about the new information.

Are they prepared to grill the so called prison snitch?

Where were they planning on taking Anni and keeping her hostage -- would Monde or the snitch be able to corroborate that?

I'm going through things in my mind again. I can't understand why Dewani never suspected Tongo was involved in the hijacking incident.

Why would Tongo stop his vehicle for 2 armed men ( Mngeni and Qwabe) on the side of the road in a remote township? Wouldn't a driver who was not involved speed off, why stop and let the hijackers who are on foot, in the vehicle? jmo

My take on that is -- SD was not privy to the minute details....he just wanted it done without getting his own hands dirty moo.

How has Beano the snitch benefitted since his revelations to SD's attorney is next question.

Even Tongo couldn't say how Anni was to be despatched (gun, knife or?)....fact is the deed was to be left to the carjackers....that's why there were details missing ... less you know is kind of better in case you are caught or have to go to court as we are now discovering

Have had a chance to sleep on this ..... here's what is troubling me about the new information.

Are they prepared to grill the so called prison snitch?

Where were they planning on taking Anni and keeping her hostage -- would Monde or the snitch be able to corroborate that?

That's right, it's all just hearsay at this stage. I hope the Judge takes this into consideration. Also, are we to believe a prisoner who will be given leniency for his revelation about Tongo's supposed 'confession'? This prisoner in question, is in for 'life', what was his crime? When is one lying killer more believable than another? jmo

Great question newone, where were they going to hold Anni hostage? The more we rehash over everything and discuss our thoughts and ideas, the more holes we're poking in the Defence's explanations. :thinking:

Even Tongo couldn't say how Anni was to be despatched (gun, knife or?)....fact is the deed was to be left to the carjackers....that's why there were details missing ... less you know is kind of better in case you are caught or have to go to court as we are now discovering

I agree, the less he knew the better for him.

on the issue of the bag:

drugs?

DT was spending too much effort on that detail. Didn't DT suggest that Tongo went to restroom with the bag? Made me wonder if he was doing a favor and disposing of something that SD didn't want found moo

I am finding it strange that S.D. went and bought the cards to give to the people who had helped him. Would have thought if he was innocent he would have been to traumatised to be out buying cards for people. He had relatives who could have done that for him. Is wife just murdered and buying cards...just doesn't make sense to me.

I am finding it strange that S.D. went and bought the cards to give to the people who had helped him. Would have thought if he was innocent he would have been to traumatised to be out buying cards for people. He had relatives who could have done that for him. Is wife just murdered and buying cards...just doesn't make sense to me.

Exactly, why was SD so thankful, he had just lost his bride, who was murdered?! I also wonder did he buy these cards after the arranged meeting he was to have with Tongo at the Waterfront bridge fell through? Tongo couldn't get transport to make the meeting, so SD comes up with an idea of 'Thank you' cards, one for Tongo? jmo

AS the Defence went through Tongo's statement and pulled it apart, I am going through Dewani's statement and doing the same :D . I will post my findings when it's done. I hope SD takes the witness stand because PT will dissect his statement, and believe me there are a lot of worrying aspects.
Just for one, SD admits Tongo texted him in the car on Sat. night about payment and he replied, yet Defence says no such texts exist?!!

That picture says it all. Was he happy because his murder plot worked or just by chance, this awful thing happened and he was free! jmo

I would like to see a ''drilling'' of him on the witness stand over ''why are you smiling'' ''what's that in your hand'' --- just based on that photo alone .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member