South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01#SABCNews 5m5 minutes ago

Proceedings resume with Captain Vinesh Lutchman back on the witness stand.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 5m5 minutes ago

Mopp: in the time you were at the Cape Grace did you have intermittent interaction with Mr Dewani?

Lutchman: yes, Mr Dewani wanted updates about his wife.

Mopp: what was Zola Tongo' status at the time you accompanied him to CG?

Lutchman: He was in a state of shock.

Lutchman: He was asked to stay at hotel, to help compile identikits.

Lutchman: Tongo was a witness at that stage, not a suspect.

Mopp: after deceased's body was found, investigation took over by the Hawks?

Lutchman: Yes

Lutchman: I was still the family liaison.

I am trying to look at things from S.D. point of view or any guy come to that. A well educated wealthy guy, just newly married on his honeymoon. If he is as innocent as he is protesting what was he doing visiting a township late at night not once but twice. You don't have to even be well travelled to know that it is very dangerous. When he saw the driver Tongo turning off the highway he could have insisted on going straight back to the hotel, but of course he didn't. If he was so innocent and didn't have any say when Tongo turned off the highway and Anni met her doom, why the hell would he want to ensure after Anni was murdered that Tongo get the R1000.
I know most of this as been already covered in earlier threads, but I just can't get past the most basic steps. I have past that highway many times and would be very alarmed if I saw the taxi driver turning off the main highway, it would be obvious he was up to no good. The last thing on my mind would be on paying him.

A little thank-you before we begin, Prime, Newone, King, Zweibel and others. I so enjoy reading your posts, just wish I was that knowledgable. It does not go unnoticed.

not showing up on news 24.com yet

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 2m2 minutes ago

Lutchman is very soft spoken. Judge asks him to please speak up.

Lutchman: returned to Cape Grace Hotel on Monday, helped Dewani, family identify body and for body to be repatriated.

Lutchman: We arranged Tuesday morning to take Mr Dewani Snr and Mr Hindocha to mortuary.

Lutchman: Hindu ritual performed at mortuary.

Video clip shown(CG footage)...16 November 2010 before leaving for mortuary.

Lutchman says Shrien Dewani did not want go to the mortuary to perform the ritual. He said wanted to go shopping.

read from bottom to top.....catching up LOL

10:11

VL: I arranged for Shrien Dewani to go with the helicopter so that he could show us where it happened. Zola Tongo was calm. He didn't speak much in the car. He was still in a state of shock.

10:10

Captain Vinesh Lutchman is back on the witness stand.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/LIVE-Dewani-in-court-day-16-20141106

10:09
Court resumes.

10:05

News24 journalist Lauren Hess, who usually brings you these live updates, will be in tweeting live from court today. You can follow her:

10:16

VL was with SD and his father until 16:30. He returned to the hotel on the Tuesday mornin

10:15

VL went back the Cape Grace on the Sunday afternoon after 15:00, with members of the Hawks to make arrangements with Dewani for the release of the body. He also went with SD to the morgue to identify the body of Anni Hindocha.

10:13

VL was given the role as family liaison officer for the Dewanis.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 2m2 minutes ago

Lutchman is very soft spoken. Judge asks him to please speak up.

Lutchman: returned to Cape Grace Hotel on Monday, helped Dewani, family identify body and for body to be repatriated.

Lutchman: We arranged Tuesday morning to take Mr Dewani Snr and Mr Hindocha to mortuary.

Lutchman: Hindu ritual performed at mortuary.

Video clip shown(CG footage)...16 November 2010 before leaving for mortuary.

Lutchman says Shrien Dewani did not want go to the mortuary to perform the ritual. He said wanted to go shopping.

Maybe he wanted to go out and buy a pair of leather chaps !!!

10:19

Tweets News24 journalist Lauren Hess: "A wee bit late for #DewaniTrial at Western Cape High Court. A small crowd of, I presume, protesters outside building singing."

10:19
The State's Adriann Mopp will play part of a video clip, which commences at 11:42. The clip will play from 12:05.

10:17
VL took Prakash Dewani and Vinod Hindocha (Anni's father) to view the body. A Hindu ritual ceremony was performed before repatriation.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 3m3 minutes ago

more video clips.

Lounge area Anni and Shrien's fathers join him (Dewani) after returning from mortuary.

video shows Lutchman reading a newspaper, Shrien Dewani busy with laptop, Anni's father, Vinod sitting with head in hands.

now in video, Shrien writes on/signs a document given to him by Lutchman.

Shrien back to his laptop, after signing document

Mopp: its not in dispute between 2 clips, Dewani leaves and re-enters, he's gone to meet Tongo. Were you aware?

Lutchman: No I was not aware. Dewani didn't say he met Tongo or that he was at the hotel

10:23
Seen on video clip: Lutchman sits with his back to the camera, SD is facing him, a police officer and Anni's dad. Lutchman gets a call (from ZT). SD takes phone and moves out of seating area. SD is seen pacing, while speaking to ZT. Prakash Dewani enters the seating area. SD returns 3 minutes later. VL says SD didn't partake in the ritual at the mortuary. He said he was going to a gift shop.
10:24
Next video clip: SD is seated on couch on the terrace, where he and ZT had a "secret" meeting. SD leans forward, looks at the CCTV camera. He has a laptop on the table. SD phones someone. VH and PD return after viewing the body of Anni. VH reads the newspaper. SD leaves this lounge area. VL comnes in as SD leaves.

10:29
Third video clip: VH is still in lounge area. SD comes back in. He's sitting next to his dad VL is seen next to Anni's dad. While SD on laptop, VL talks to him

10:37
Mopp (for the State) says that when SD left the room in first video clip, he'd gone to meet ZT . VL says he wasn't aware ZT was at hotel.
10:39
VL says he made arrangements to take the Dewanis and Anni's dad to the airport. VL was later told it wouldn't be necessary because arrangements has been made with the UK High Commission.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 4m4 minutes ago

Mopps: of all police officers in CPT, you spent the most time with Dewani.

Lutchman: Correct.

Lutchman... Didn't disclose anything about a helicopter trip/ money in purse.

Lutchman: if there was mention of substantial amount of money, would have brought it to attention of Col Els.

Lutchman.. Would have looked from different angle, that Tongo could have been involved in hijacking.

10:41
VL admits to spending a lot of time (more than other policemen) with SD. He says though that SD never once mentioned a helicopter ride. He also says he would have told his bosses had he known about the amount of money in Anni's purse. Says investigation would have taken different angle.
10:42
AM concludes questioning. Time from cross-examination by Pieter Botha for the defence.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01 #SABCNews 5m5 minutes ago

Mopp ends leading evidence in chief. Adv Pieter Botha leads cross exam of Lutchman.

Botha: Do you know col Barkhuizen?

Lutchman: Never worked with him.

Lutchman: He took my statement.. 28 November, 2010

Botha: you would have known that there were allegations that Mr Dewani was somehow involved in killing his wife?

Lutchman: No.

Botha: when did you give that statement. 2 weeks later, 2 days after Tongo have his statement to same officer.

Lutchman: was aware Tongo was arrested.. Not sure when.

Botha going over what Lutchman had testified to regarding his interaction with Tongo at Gugulethu police station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther