Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

A Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch has been issued for parts of Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri until 9 p.m. Close to where I live but not directly. Praying for all those who may be affecected by this. It has been my greatest fear that their would be large tornadoes and damage during the virus situation. I really worry about the hospital and those in quarantine at home during this time and rescue workers and possible searchers and of course the medical workers. That will just add even more extra stress to them. I pray that the virus is elimanted soon. Tornado season is especially bad April-June.

Storm Prediction Center Public Severe Weather Outlook (PWO)

Watches, Warnings and Advisories
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

A Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch has been issued for parts of Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri until 9 p.m. Close to where I live but not directly. Praying for all those who may be affecected by this. It has been my greatest fear that their would be large tornadoes and damage during the virus situation. I really worry about the hospital and those in quarantine at home during this time and rescue workers and possible searchers and of course the medical workers. That will just add even more extra stress to them. I pray that the virus is elimanted soon. Tornado season is especially bad April-June.
I’m in the watch zone. The wind was really spooking me a little bit ago. It just wasn’t normal, the type of gusts going on.

QUOTE="Starry Night, post: 15981808, member: 31794"]Live coverage

Watch Live Newscasts
I don't see a thread. Thos shows how quickly it moved.
A confirmed tornado is on the ground near Jonesboro, Arkansas.[/QUOTE]

I recognize this area. I dated a man (I laugh when I say dates...I am in my 50’s and he was 13 yrs older) for close to 8 years who lived in Jonesboro. He passed away on 1/12 but I just hate to see this devastation. It is a welcoming community. Many prayers for it’s residents.

ETA- I’ve thought about my friend a lot recently. As sad as it was to lose him too early, I’m glad he didn’t have to deal with Covid 19 (super social guy) or this tornado. Maybe that is morbid? I don’t know but it does give me some peace. He made me happy for a very long time. Sorry to get so sappy and personal...I’m kind of all in my feelings these days.

Last edited:
North Carolina
NWS Storm Survey found damage to trees and fences, and some minor roof and aluminum carport damage in Havelock indicative of an EF0 tornado.

The damage was localized around Greenway Court, Pinecone lane, and melody lane in a residential neighborhood East of Highway 70 on the northwest side of Havelock.

The path continued to the northeast before crossing into the Croatan Forest. Most of the damage along the path was minor, consisting of leaf litter and smaller limbs, consistent with winds of 50 to 55 mph.

Radar imagery suggested the tornado may have strengthened once in the open forest.

In Onslow County, the National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has confirmed an EF1 tornado, with maximum winds around 100-105 mph, which occurred Monday around 9:39 am near Haws Run southwest of Jacksonville.
NWS confirms tornadoes across ENC

US National Weather Service Newport/Morehead City NC

South Carolina
The largest tornado was an EF3 in Oconee County. The NWS says it began in Westminster and traveled 16 miles and ended in Central.
Pictures of damage | Video of damage
An EF2 tornado touched down at 3:42 a.m. near the Pickens-Greenville county line, the NWS said. They said the storms' highest wind speeds were 120 miles per hour.

A EF0 tornado hit at 3:40 a.m. in the Easley area of Pickens County. It had wind speeds of 80 mph and was 7.4 miles long.

A EF1 tornado hit at 3:06 a.m. in Eastanollee in Stephens County, Georgia. It had wind speeds of 110 mph and was 8.7 miles long.
3 confirmed tornadoes touch down in Upstate

Storm updates:
  • McMaster said 9 people in South Carolina died in the storms Monday
  • McMaster says he will seek an emergency declaration in the state to help damaged areas. (More on his survey of the damage below)
  • Authorities are still surveying the damage across the state. Latest on Upstate tornadoes here.
  • Emergency managements official: Most counties in state have storm damage.
  • Emergency management official: 9 deaths reported, 5 in Hampton County. 2 in Orangeburg, 1 in Pickens and 1 in Colleton County.
  • 290,000 people were without power at the peak; 75% of power outages should be fixed Monday
  • American Red Cross will put people in hotels, instead of shelters due to coronavirusDepartment of Transportation official: 2,500 trees on roads this morning, 30% of those roads had power lines in the roads. 70% of roads will reopen Monday.
SC Gov. McMaster visits Seneca where tornado hit

Last edited:
Storms leave at least 31 people dead in South before heading North - CNN
Track the storms here

Louisiana

By the grace of God, early reports show only a few minor injuries,” Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo said on Twitter.
The damage is devastating and is a good reminder that everyone should stay weather aware,” Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said on Twitter.

https://gov.louisiana.gov/assets/EmergencyProclamations/JBE-45-Weather.pdf

A
labama
https://governor.alabama.gov/assets/2020/04/2020-04-12-SOE-Tornadoes.pdf

Georgia
In Georgia, seven people were killed -- including five people in Murray County and one man in Cartersville, local officials said.
At least one house in Upson County, Georgia, was picked up and moved by the storm, CNN affiliate WSB reported Monday.

Wow. This house was picked up and moved into the middle of a road during severe storms in Upson County, Georgia.
Brett Rosner (@Brosner85) | Twitter

https://gov.georgia.gov/document/2020-executive-order/04132001/download

Mississippi:
Radar data from the weather service suggests some tornadoes in Mississippi were on the ground for more than an hour and might have tracked at least 100 miles.

In Mississippi, at least 11 people were killed, the state's Department of Emergency Management said.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency emphasized that people should have a safe place to go -- and if that's a public shelter, to continue practicing social distancing.

Director Michel and our team are monitoring the weather and standby ready to assist. Have a safe place to go. If you go to a public shelter please wear a mask, bandana, or scarf around your nose and mouth. Practice social distancing. We will get through this! pic.twitter.com/owoDLwL3rI
— msema (@MSEMA) April 12, 2020
"If you go to a public shelter please wear a mask, bandana, or scarf around your nose and mouth," MEMA tweeted.
https://mcusercontent.com/08cb3e52a...-31b46e588c3a/_4.12.20_Sta

South Carolina
At least nine people were killed in storm-related incidents in South Carolina, the state's governor Henry McMaster announced Monday. One of those killed was a security guard at a BorgWarner plant in Seneca.

Five people in South Carolina's Hampton County were killed in the early morning hours Monday, according to a Susanne Peeples, director of the county's emergency management department.

On Monday afternoon, the NWS confirmed that a long track tornado produced EF3 damage that destroyed a double-wide home.
Colleton-County Sheriffs-Office
At least 9 dead after tornadoes strike South Carolina

And in Arkansas, one person was killed after a tree fell on a home in Jefferson County, county emergency management director Karen Blevins said.

North Carolina also reported one death. Gov. Roy Cooper said a Davidson County woman died when a tree fell on her home. There were two deaths in Tennessee, according to officials.

Five other people were reported to have been killed when tornadoes hit a mobile home park near the Georgia-Tennessee border, according to the Weather Channel. Over 1.3 million electricity customers were without power after the storms went through, reported PowerOutage.US.
Tornadoes bring death, destruction in southern US

Last edited:
I dont have a link but the Weather Channel has been reporting all day about the storms, and tornadoes throughout the day happening in the southern states.

In Georgia there was a tornado on the ground for approximately an hour. Estimated to be a F3. It started around Moultrie (Colquitt county) and went due east into Nashville,Georgia. Another tornado was seen in Waycross, and it traveled toward the Brunswick east coast Georgia area.

Many Georgians with power outages, and damaged to property, and homes. Injuries, or deaths unknown.

WALBTV, our local news, and weather station has been covering it all day. So many trees, and powerlines are down that there are few pics coming in of the damage due to not being able to access the areas. The swath of the hail, storms, and tornadoes is about a 100 miles long more or less.

Albany, and Leesburg was spared even though we remain in a tornado watch until at least 5pm. We are not out of the woods yet because more is expected from Alabama into Georgia. The Florida panhandle is also getting slammed.

When the next round of storms come today it can affect some of the already hatd hit areas today as well as around Atlanta, and Charleston.

God be with everyone who are in the path of these monster storms, and devastating tornadoes.

Jmho

I dont have a link but the Weather Channel has been reporting all day about the storms, and tornadoes throughout the day happening in the southern states.

In Georgia there was a tornado on the ground for approximately an hour. Estimated to be a F3. It started around Moultrie (Colquitt county) and went due east into Nashville,Georgia. Another tornado was seen in Waycross, and it traveled toward the Brunswick east coast Georgia area.

Many Georgians with power outages, and damaged to property, and homes. Injuries, or deaths unknown.

WALBTV, our local news, and weather station has been covering it all day. So many trees, and powerlines are down that there are few pics coming in of the damage due to not being able to access the areas. The swath of the hail, storms, and tornadoes is about a 100 miles long more or less.

Albany, and Leesburg was spared even though we remain in a tornado watch until at least 5pm. We are not out of the woods yet because more is expected from Alabama into Georgia. The Florida panhandle is also getting slammed.

When the next round of storms come today it can affect some of the already hatd hit areas today as well as around Atlanta, and Charleston.

God be with everyone who are in the path of these monster storms, and devastating tornadoes.

Jmho

I too am watching the Weather Channel to keep up with the storms as they cross through GA. They look so dangerous. Please stay safe everyone who may be in the path of these storms and tornadoes.

Every time I hear of tornadoes especially down in South GA, I am reminded of the Detrez Green case, where he, as a two year old, reportedly disappeared when a tornado came through. Were the parents involved in his disappearance? He has never been found. Here is a link to his thread.

GA - GA - Detrez Green, 2, Ashburn, 22 Jan 2017

I too am watching the Weather Channel to keep up with the storms as they cross through GA. They look so dangerous. Please stay safe everyone who may be in the path of these storms and tornadoes.

Every time I hear of tornadoes especially down in South GA, I am reminded of the Detrez Green case, where he, as a two year old, reportedly disappeared when a tornado came through. Were the parents involved in his disappearance? He has never been found. Here is a link to his thread.

GA - GA - Detrez Green, 2, Ashburn, 22 Jan 2017

Thank you. I remember we talked extensively about little Detrez. I knew once the GBI took over we wouldnt hear any more about his case.

I still do not believe he was even alive when the tornado struck the Albany MHP back then.

I pray the GBI solves his case, but I wouldn't be shocked if they never make an arrest. I also wouldn't be surprised if the GBI has put it on the back burner,and arent even investigating what happened to this sweet little boy.

On many cases I've not been impressed with the GBIs investigations into several cases in the past.

What is equally infuriating they don't ever hold any PCs to update the public either.

Jmho

FULTONDALE —A teenager sheltering in his basement was killed and several family members were critically injured when a tornado blew a tree onto their Alabama home, police said Tuesday.

Many others narrowly escaped with their lives. At least 30 people were injured as the twister carved a 10-mile (16 kilometer) path of destruction Monday night in the northern suburbs of Birmingham, an area severely damaged by a much larger tornado a decade ago.

“We ran in the bathroom, got down in the tub and covered over with some towels and then in about two minutes it was all over,” said Tim Herring, who said he and his wife Patti had just moments to prepare.

“I had to push a bunch of boards off of me and some sheetrock. We got out and my wife said, ‘We don’t have a roof.’ I walked in the hallway and said, ‘We ain’t got no walls either.’ I said, ‘We’re lucky to be alive, Patti,’” Tim Herring said.

Pieces of buildings, furniture, appliances and trees were strewn about and vehicles came to rest in awkward positions, as if a child had scattered a collection of Matchbox cars. One car landed upside down against tree branches on a large pile of debris.

The teen was pronounced dead at the scene Tuesday morning, and several of his family members were critically injured when their home collapsed, trapping them in the basement, Fultondale police Chief D.P. Smith said.
UPDATE: 1 dead, 30 injured as tornado rips Alabama community

FULTONDALE —A teenager sheltering in his basement was killed and several family members were critically injured when a tornado blew a tree onto their Alabama home, police said Tuesday.

Many others narrowly escaped with their lives. At least 30 people were injured as the twister carved a 10-mile (16 kilometer) path of destruction Monday night in the northern suburbs of Birmingham, an area severely damaged by a much larger tornado a decade ago.

“We ran in the bathroom, got down in the tub and covered over with some towels and then in about two minutes it was all over,” said Tim Herring, who said he and his wife Patti had just moments to prepare.

“I had to push a bunch of boards off of me and some sheetrock. We got out and my wife said, ‘We don’t have a roof.’ I walked in the hallway and said, ‘We ain’t got no walls either.’ I said, ‘We’re lucky to be alive, Patti,’” Tim Herring said.

Pieces of buildings, furniture, appliances and trees were strewn about and vehicles came to rest in awkward positions, as if a child had scattered a collection of Matchbox cars. One car landed upside down against tree branches on a large pile of debris.

The teen was pronounced dead at the scene Tuesday morning, and several of his family members were critically injured when their home collapsed, trapping them in the basement, Fultondale police Chief D.P. Smith said.
UPDATE: 1 dead, 30 injured as tornado rips Alabama community

Terrible. I am wondering how much extreme weather we will have to endure in 2021. In central NC, we got off pretty easy in 2020. For example, we only had the remnants of hurricanes that hit the Gulf pass through here... no direct hits on NC.

Terrible. I am wondering how much extreme weather we will have to endure in 2021. In central NC, we got off pretty easy in 2020. For example, we only had the remnants of hurricanes that hit the Gulf pass through here... no direct hits on NC.
I’m always so thrilled when spring begins to arrive with little green shoots coming up. Then...Moore, OK tornadoes comes knocking at my door. We just never know around here. If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a minute...

Newnan tornado damage possible after storm | 11alive.com with video

NEWNAN, Ga. —

Daylight has revealed widespread storm damage in Newnan and Coweta early Friday morning. One person is also dead following the severe weather, Coweta officials confirmed Friday morning. First responders are urging people to stay off the roads because they are dangerous and crews are working to clear them and restore power.

Late Thursday night severe weather sparked a tornado warning and a special tornado emergency in Coweta County. The National Weather Service issued the emergency because a large, dangerous tornado was on the ground from Heard County into Coweta County. As of 9 a.m., most of the severe weather is out of the area.

There is a temporary shelter at Evans Middle School for anyone who is displaced due to the storm damage. More than 150 linemen are in the area working to get the electrical damage restored, but they need drivers to stay off the road. However, thousands of customers are still without power.

The Newnan City Council will be feeding residents impacted by the storm at the Newnan Center, according to a Newnan press conference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back