Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

FULTONDALE —A teenager sheltering in his basement was killed and several family members were critically injured when a tornado blew a tree onto their Alabama home, police said Tuesday.

Many others narrowly escaped with their lives. At least 30 people were injured as the twister carved a 10-mile (16 kilometer) path of destruction Monday night in the northern suburbs of Birmingham, an area severely damaged by a much larger tornado a decade ago.

“We ran in the bathroom, got down in the tub and covered over with some towels and then in about two minutes it was all over,” said Tim Herring, who said he and his wife Patti had just moments to prepare.

“I had to push a bunch of boards off of me and some sheetrock. We got out and my wife said, ‘We don’t have a roof.’ I walked in the hallway and said, ‘We ain’t got no walls either.’ I said, ‘We’re lucky to be alive, Patti,’” Tim Herring said.

Pieces of buildings, furniture, appliances and trees were strewn about and vehicles came to rest in awkward positions, as if a child had scattered a collection of Matchbox cars. One car landed upside down against tree branches on a large pile of debris.

The teen was pronounced dead at the scene Tuesday morning, and several of his family members were critically injured when their home collapsed, trapping them in the basement, Fultondale police Chief D.P. Smith said.
UPDATE: 1 dead, 30 injured as tornado rips Alabama community

I was closely watching the Weather Channel yesterday hoping these ferocious tornadoes would lift up, and spare precious lives.

The one in the Birmingham area seemed surreal. It stayed on the ground it seemed forever. The debris field tracker showed it was going to be devastating for lives, and property damage. It's still shocking to see what these killer tornadoes can do leaving them looking like war zones.

I pray for all who were in the path of these monster tornadoes.

Being from Georgia I've seen what tornadoes can do in my own area. I've lived in SW Georgia all of my life, and I'm still terrified of bad weather as I was as a small child. We are known as Tornado Alley. We have suffered greatly from tornadoes. We also have had destructive straight line winds ripping up thousands of huge oaks, pines, and massive pecan trees during just one of those straight line wind storms.

Usually we are spared from hurricanes yet when Hurricane Alberto hovered over us it caused multiple loss of life, and massive destruction of property when we had the 1994 500 year old flood. It took us over a decade to fully recover.

Then we were struck when Hurricane Michael came inland right over the top of us at 100 MPH in 2018. It also caused major damages

It leaves you holding your breath when another tornado or hurricane is in your area.

I'm so afraid we are going to face many monster tornadoes this year. We've only just begun.

I'm praying for everyone in Birmingham, and Newnan which is a beautiful town. Like always the communities will come out in full force to help every one in need. Helping others in need is what we do best.

Jmho

Thinking of All of You in the Southern states today. Looks like Georgia and South Carolina have many severe storm warnings at this time (12:46 PDT).

Keeping All of You in my prayers.

prayerHandsInHeart.jpg

WAVERLY, TN (WSMV) - Catastrophic flooding in Humphreys County leaves 21 people dead and around 30 people are still missing, according to Sheriff Chris Davis.

"Today, we are trying to get a good evaluation picture," Davis said.

Davis said many of the people still missing were in the area most impacted by the floodwaters.

More at 21 dead, around 30 still missing after flooding in Tennessee

Brittany Trejo said that her four young cousins, ranging in age from 1 1/2 to eight, were swept away from their parents’ grip in the deadly Kentucky flooding Thursday. By 12:30 p.m. Friday, the bodies of all four children had been recovered from the Knott County community of Montgomery, Trejo said.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article263953661.html#storylink=cpy

At least 25 people have died in the devastating rainfall that deluged eastern Kentucky, Gov. Andy Beshear said Saturday.

That death toll will likely continue to rise as search efforts continue in upcoming weeks, he added.

In an update Friday, the governor said six children are among the dead in the flooding. The number of children who died rose to six after the bodies of four young siblings, swept away from their parents’ grip by the floodwaters, had been located, Beshear said.

"It's hard, it's even harder for those families and those communities," he said. "Keep praying, there's still a lot of people out there, still a lot of people unaccounted for. We're going to do our best to find them all."...

The flooding has killed at least 37 people, including four children, and hundreds of Kentuckians still unaccounted for, Gov. Andy Beshear said Monday. Beshear said the death toll is expected to increase over the coming days as more crews arrive to survey the damage and search along still-swollen rivers and creeks for victims.

"Residents in some parts of Buffalo awoke to blowing, heavy snow, punctuated by occasional claps of thunder, while just a few miles north, only a few inches had fallen overnight and there were patches of blue sky."

"The worst snowfall so far was south of the city. The National Weather Service reported more than 2 feet of snow in many places along the eastern end of Lake Erie, with bands of heavier precipitation bringing nearly 34 inches in Hamburg, New York."

Also, snow squalls n'at farther south in western PA:
tinyurl.com/3fedjad8 National Weather Service, Pittsburgh, PA | Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500