Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

Oveall... the whole area involved........14 people reported dead now.............CNN

This is BAD! Pray for these people please!

xxxxxxxxooooooooo
mama :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Now they're saying possible F3!--that's near 200 mph--This has to be related to Global Warming--1998 was the hottest year in recorded istory and the 1998 Florida tornados were th worst in state history--1998 also had a strong El Nino, the warming of the Pacific ocean--There is also a El Nino now, albeit weaker than 1998

So once this is desiginated a "disaster" let's see how fast FEMA comes in.
It will be interesting.

xxxxxxxxxxooo

Did anyone see that Lady Of Lake Church? Totally destroyed and it supposedly was built to withstand 150 mph

Love_Mama said:
So once this is desiginated a "disaster" let's see how fast FEMA comes in.
It will be interesting.

xxxxxxxxxxooo
I found this recent article in reference to the "Christmas Day" tornado that hit Florida:

Posted on Wed, Jan. 31, 2007

VOLUSIA COUNTY
FEMA denies tornado relief

DAYTONA BEACH - (AP) -- Federal assistance has been denied for Volusia County residents struck by tornadoes on Christmas Day, authorities said.

Volusia County Emergency Management Director Jim Ryan said he has supplied Gov. Charlie Crist's office with information to appeal Friday's decision from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

In one of his final acts as Florida's governor, Jeb Bush asked the federal government for assistance for parts of the state hit Christmas Day with tornadoes, thunderstorms and heavy rains. Bush declared a state of emergency for Volusia County, as well as Columbia, Lake, Pasco and Sumter counties.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/state/16584326.htm

Peter Hamilton said:
Now they're saying possible F3!--that's near 200 mph--This has to be related to Global Warming--1998 was the hottest year in recorded istory and the 1998 Florida tornados were th worst in state history--1998 also had a strong El Nino, the warming of the Pacific ocean--There is also a El Nino now, albeit weaker than 1998
This is incredible. The destruction reminds me of what we would see on a bad day in tornado alley. Prayers for poor souls hurt by theses storms. My heart goes out to the folks in Florida.

I remember May 27th, 1997. We were in an El Nino then. We had a horrific F5 up in Jarrell, Texas. We also had an F3 in my town. I spent one day searching with my dog in Cedar Park and 3 days in Jarrell. Jarrell was unbelievable--some of our search grid was empty, nothing to search. It looked like a barren farmer's field. We did eventually come across debris and remains. It was a sad, sad, time.

Incidentally, who do we have in that part of central Florida who belong to our group? I hope all of our members are okay.

Land softly,

Lion

Shadow205 said:
From the video being shown on FOX news, it looks bad. "The Villages" seem to have been hit really bad. Major damage being reported in Deland, Lake Mack and The Villages. Authorities are still doing search and rescue. They are reporting "mass casualties." Early reports of 300-500 homes totally destroyed.

My parents are there visiting friends and just called to say they are okay. However, the house next to them had several trees down and one street over looks like a war zone, according to my mom. She said it was terrifying, that she heard that "train sound" that people talk about for the first time in her life.

Thank God they are alright! I pray that help arrives quickly and that everyone will be okay.

Indian River(south central east coast) had a tornado touch down in the Fellsmere area this morning but the alert has been lifted. The storm is dying down.

Wow--the humidity jumped up here ahead of the big storms coming--Heat Index is now 88 degrees!--but next 4 days it wil be high of only 70 and low of 60 as this strong cool front moves thru the area

angelmom said:
My parents are there visiting friends and just called to say they are okay. However, the house next to them had several trees down and one street over looks like a war zone, according to my mom. She said it was terrifying, that she heard that "train sound" that people talk about for the first time in her life.

Thank God they are alright! I pray that help arrives quickly and that everyone will be okay.
I am glad that your Mom made it through the storm okay, anglemom.

Lion

Praying for all those poor people.

I'm prolly more scared of tornadoes than hurricanes. At least you have advanced warning of a hurricane.

Peter, I remember those 98 storms. We had an F5 in Alabama that was on the ground for 30 miles. 32 people died. It was horrible.

We had to go up that way about 3 weeks later and Alabama is in the foothills of mountains so parts of the road are higher than the forest around it. You could see the path this thing took. Like a huge snake, with trees chopped off and ground all torn up. The width of this thing was over a mile wide in places. We didn't go into the town because of them cleaning up but I saw pictures and they made me shiver with fear.

Peter Hamilton said:
those poor people--terrible storm--Fatal tornados are rare in Florida--Except for the 1998 storms, you almost never hear of any fatalities--That's because most of the tornados we get are F0's, winds 50 to 90 mph--but these look like F2's! winds 150 mph!---Parts of north central Florida look like the Midwest! Midwest tornados are typically F2's and above--The 1999 OKlahoma City Tornado had winds clocked by mobile radar at 317 mph!!-44 people were killed and 660 were injured---The 1998 tornados killed dozens here in Florida in the very same area as these today--The great 1925 Tornado that went thru the midwest killed 689 people,the worst tornado in history--latest death toll from this storm today is now fourteen! awful

I slept through that storm!! (1998) I awoke only when the children awoke because the power went out.
My neighbors house was destroyed. I do not know how our house was not.

We have tornado warning right here now, they keep saying it will be gone in a few minutes. Its just a blustery day outside, but the sky looks ugly.

Hi Beyond Belief. Hopefully, it will pass without hurting you or any more people. I am praying for you. Please keep us posted.

Lion

I just called a friend who lives in the Villages. She awoke around 3:15 and saw the warning on the TV. She could hear the wind blowing about but nothing really bad. Due to the warnings she huddled down in a closet.

IIRC, she said most of the damage was on the east side, near highway 441 and 27. Her DH went out this am to check on their friend's home, who lives about 1 1/2 miles from her (the people are in the N right now) and there were 4 homes nearly destroyed right next to their friend's home, which was OK. It appeared to him, it was a path, and it missed their freind's home. That area is called Sable Homes. He did see quite a few homes where the roofs were blown off. Also he said, most of the severe damage was 5 miles from them.

She said most of the damage was in the part of the Villages, where the mobile homes are located, but there are also some very nice home there too. Damage also was at the Mallory Hills Golf Course.

This is just awful and I hear there are reports of possibly more tornados.

I have family living not too far from there, a bit east and south.

This weather we have been having here, where I live in the north is horrible, we are in a deep freeze. Nothing compared to what is going on in FL tho.

The pictures they are showing are devastating. :( I can't even imagine the horror these families must have experienced, in the middle of the night with no warning, and all of a sudden a catastrophe is upon them.

I saw the markings of 'tornados' on the weather channel early in the AM, around 3 or so. My DH is away, so I don't get to sleep until around 4 AM. But geeez these people were sound asleep. I wonder do they have 'sirens' or anything to wake the people up, so they can take cover? Or was there no time? I have to ask my friend that question. She was lucky as she awoke for some reason or another, but she is a nighter like me.

Anyone know?

Beyond Belief said:
We have tornado warning right here now, they keep saying it will be gone in a few minutes. Its just a blustery day outside, but the sky looks ugly.

BB, hope it is gone! How are you? Ouuu those ugly skies are scarry.

Take care and be vigilant.

I am praying for you and all the others there who might be in harms way.

BB just keep looking and be prepared to hunker down somewhere.

BB, I know where we have a place on the E coast, we have CBS (not sure that is right) but I mean the cement block type home. Are they making homes in the area where the tornadoes are going thru, with the cement block? I guess that doesn't help the roof tho.

BB, just checking in and hoping all is well with you. I imagine you are fine; but, the last we heard you had a warning.

Lion

They don't have sirens in the more rural areas because of the vast expanse. I can't imagine waking up to a tornado tho! Being from Oklahoma, we depend on our early warning system.

My sister is on business in Orlando, but is staying in Daytona Beach. I saw the warnings early this morning, but felt it was more south of her. She called today to let me know she was OK.

The devastation is horrendous! I feel so sorry for those people who have not only lost loved ones, but also everything else. The lives that were spared can be very grateful because they were extremely lucky to have survived such a storm.

BB, I will keep you in my thoughts until this passes over. I know how scary they can be. I usually go to a 5-star hotel and wait them out. (Room service, a bar, and a secure place to go works for me instead of a little closet!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back