Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

Well, the dude stepped in it. He effectively left himself and his wife/girlfriends open to scrutiny. Sort of like Octomom. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

I think that the controversy may just work the opposite in his case-people will stay away from the show in droves.

Seems the media welcomes this kind of controversy too. Why put out a show like this anyway? Just to cause a big stir. This only serves to bring in more viewers but as you stated, it could cause people to turn away. I think they will tune in though to see what it is all about at first now that this issue has exploded.

Always wonder when I read these stories, why these women do it? Anyone have any stats on this? It seems so twisted to let a man have so many lovers and rule the household while you just cater to him, and make babies. Doesn't seem like a religious practice to me. Seems this so- called man has it made.. Makes me ill to think about it.

Goz

Seems the media welcomes this kind of controversy too. Why put out a show like this anyway? Just to cause a big stir. This only serves to bring in more viewers but as you stated, it could cause people to turn away. I think they will tune in though to see what it is all about at first now that this issue has exploded.

Always wonder when I read these stories, why these women do it? Anyone have any stats on this? It seems so twisted to let a man have so many lovers and rule the household while you just cater to him, and make babies. Doesn't seem like a religious practice to me. Seems this so- called man has it made.. Makes me ill to think about it.

Goz

"Has it made"? PLEASE! Just ask my husband of he'd want another 3 wives! lol All I know, I love my husband and have a good marraige. Would I ever want two more husbands? HECK NO! He can also annoy me to death!

I will NEVER understand how three women can live in the same house and not kill each other. I went on vacation once and shared a hotel room for a week with a close girlfriend. Thought I'd kill her and it could have easily ended the friendship!

"Has it made"? PLEASE! Just ask my husband of he'd want another 3 wives! lol All I know, I love my husband and have a good marraige. Would I ever want two more husbands? HECK NO! He can also annoy me to death!

I will NEVER understand how three women can live in the same house and not kill each other. I went on vacation once and shared a hotel room for a week with a close girlfriend. Thought I'd kill her and it could have easily ended the friendship!

I hear you loud and clear Linda. I feel the same way. I can't imagine staying with females at an older age. I mean it is not like when you were in HS and going to hang out at the Jersey Shore for a week...:angel:

Goz

I think It's sick.

As far as the children...I think it's HORRIBLE for them to see this.

I am a child from a divorced home. An ugly, bitter, rotten divorce. I love both my parents but I really wish they would have handled things better. But, I would take that over seeing my Daddy go from room to room and having other children (my 1/2 siblings???!!!) with other women.

IMO it wrong, it's disgusting, and they are gonna really mess those children up.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Polygamy-in-Society
In addition, polygamy negatively affects children, Rabbi Shmuley says. "[It] offers children a model not of security but of rivalry, not of confidence but of permanent insecurity, as the members of a single household compete to be favorites," he says. "It is a toxic environment in which men are kings and women are courtiers."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080412/news_1c12polygamy.html

Despite events, polygamy on rise in U.S.

Snipped:

She says the children she sees are often uneducated – the girls take care of younger siblings and the boys work 14 hours a day. Many of the them become “Lost Boys,” kicked out of the community because of competition with older men, she says.

“It's child abuse,” she says.

Even with “normal” polygamist households, there is public contempt, McClain says, adding that it ranks up there with incestuous marriages. She ticks off problems such as domestic violence and welfare fraud.

“Not every polygamist household has all these problems,” she says. “But there is enough concern that this is harmful to women, not good for children, and harmful to boys as well.”

I think It's sick.

I am a child from a divorced home. An ugly, bitter, rotten divorce. I love both my parents but I really wish they would have handled things better. But, I would take that over seeing my Daddy go from room to room and having other children (my 1/2 siblings???!!!) with other women.

IMO it wrong, it's disgusting, and they are gonna really mess those children up.[/QUOTE]

(above bbm)
Nah....they'll just make them more "open" and "loving"...tolerant, if you will.

I think It's sick.

IMO it wrong, it's disgusting, and they are gonna really mess those children up.[/QUOTE]

Nah....they'll just make them more "open" and "loving"...tolerant, if you will.

Well, the experts I linked to do not agree with that.

ETA: Sorry, I think I read that wrong.
I think we agree on this. :smile:

I cant and wont speak for the previous poster, Kimberly, but I believe that was a quote from Biodad who is the head of the household in this situation. :innocent:

That wasn't my post up there :D
(I mean, I quoted it, but those aren't my words.)
FWIW, in my post (#68) I was being uncharacteristically facetious. :angel:

THAT'S who he reminds me of! Thank you, thank you, thank you for solving that mystery for me. I'd watch it and go, "he reminds me of someone...but who?"

Too funny, me too!

I watched the show and went and took a shower.... I mean ewww just ewww.

I think they are rather cultish, glazed, and odd but just "ewwwww..."

The first three wives are fair, blonde, and ummmm, solidly built. Not meaning anything by that, just that he seems to gravitate towards a certain sort of physical appearance.

Wife number four seems to be the antithesis of the first three. Very petite, brunette, already has three kids of her own, previously married. Now if I were inclined to suspect the worst of this particular patriarch, I would assume that he *picked* this wife not with the intent of supporting assimilation into his pre-existing family.

IMHO .......
Post-bankrupt, crappy economy, many mouths to feed, and no job - Kody Brown hopes to parlay his family into a cash cow, feeding at the TLC trough.

The first three wives are fair, blonde, and ummmm, solidly built. Not meaning anything by that, just that he seems to gravitate towards a certain sort of physical appearance.

Wife number four seems to be the antithesis of the first three. Very petite, brunette, already has three kids of her own, previously married. Now if I were inclined to suspect the worst of this particular patriarch, I would assume that he *picked* this wife not with the intent of supporting assimilation into his pre-existing family.

IMHO .......
Post-bankrupt, crappy economy, many mouths to feed, and no job - Kody Brown hopes to parlay his family into a cash cow, feeding at the TLC trough.

I don't see Meri (#1) as "solidly built", but neither do I see Robyn as a "trophy wife" and find it a little depressing that the other three (or at least two) do....to me that speaks to a certain lack of self respect :twocents: There was one clip that was played over and over where Christine (#3) says Kody "deserves" a cute wife and Meri very pointedly says "I'm cute".

I see trouble brewing....

I didn't really need another reason to feel :sick: about this dude. BUT, the fact that his motive for "outing" himself, the wives and all those innocent kids on TV for $$$ is even more sickening. Though I don't suppose we should really be surprised.

Never fails to amaze me the lengths to which people will go to be on TV and to be "famous."

IMO, this "lifestyle" has NOTHING to do with religion or civil rights. Nothing.[/QUOTE]

BBM
I totally agree. It's a "MAN" made lifestyle. Wonder what he'd feel like if one of the women said "we" are courting a new man to marry?...Notice how he skips and bounces around the house all the time, what a fraud pig.
In last nights episode wife #3 expressed her inner-sense of right and wrong imo. To bad she isn't listening to her intuition.
I really hate this show, but it's like driving by a car wreck and you just have to look. Ohhhhh how I hate myself for watching.

I have not watched this show. The commercials for it were disgusting enough. I could almost smell the testosterone when he said he hoped he was "good enough for 4" wives. What a jerk!! I expected him to start beating on his chest and giving a Tarzan yell.

The women remind me of my real-life sister - they will put up with emotional and mental abuse just to "have a man" and the security of being supported financially. If I were any one of them, I'd be packing my bags and getting the heck out of there.

It amazes me the lengths to which some people will go to be on TV. Shame on the TV execs for putting this guy on the air.

JMO, of course.l

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willy wagtail
Back