Steven Powell was involved in disappearance

Well you need to hope that you and yours are never kidnapped, raped or murdered and have the person responsible free to walk the streets. Imagine what it might feel like to know after being raped that the person who raped you was free! If something like that has never happened to you then you have no clue what that feels like. I have no fear of ever being arrested because I don't do things to cause me to be arrested.

Neither did Riley Fox's father. That didn't seem to help much.

Well you need to hope that you and yours are never kidnapped, raped or murdered and have the person responsible free to walk the streets. Imagine what it might feel like to know after being raped that the person who raped you was free! If something like that has never happened to you then you have no clue what that feels like. I have no fear of ever being arrested because I don't do things to cause me to be arrested.

But you know - lots of people are wrongly arrested. And the prisons are full of people who were caught and who stay locked up till they die.

Anyway, we are off topic, so I'll drop this. But I personally like our system of justice. It's worked for hundreds of years now and is an example for the world most of the time. :cow:

Stephen Powell is locked up, and that's a good thing, and I hope they can solve the riddle of where Susan is!

People are incarcerated, and yes, even put to death in this country for crimes they didnt commit.

Guys, can we please get back on track.

The name of the thread is, "Steven Powell was involved in disappearance."

Thanks everyone. Keep up the great postings. You are making a difference.

Tricia

Just read his affidavit and as far as I can tell it is just the legal way to go about strongly stating that have no interest, nor will they ever have interest in cooperating, nor even speaking to any of the LE agencies, including Federal.. With staunch demands that legal counsel be present any time even so much as one officer has even the most general question imaginable.. I just see it as being a legal document on record making clear this man's stance and that if anyone even attempts to veer from these directives that he'll have grounds for legal recourse..

Of course IANAL so to any of our legal professionals is there something more to this or is just basically as described above??

IMO he's terrified that he's somehow gonna be misconstrued into taking responsibility for Susan.. IMO he realize the heat is on and it's hotter than he could have imagined and he's attempting to take preemptive measures to ensure they can not get him for this murder.. Of course ATLEAST as far as him helping or aiding that process in any way..

Jmo, tho!

"It was a very controlled relationship. Steven controlled Josh, so if he was in trouble, he would have known what was going on, or even worse, been controlling what he did."

Graves believes Steven Powell did not want Susan involved in the raising of his grandchildren.
"She was a threat for his control over the family. She was too strong to have around," he said.
Steven Powell filed court papers last week saying he will not cooperate with investigations being conducted by law enforcement agencies into the case.

BBM - This is the part I have absolutely NO trouble believing at all. SP was the controller for sure, of the entire family unit (except for those able to escape his confines)

My intuition is tell me that this is the truth. I always thought it quite odd that Susan had to live with JP's father after they first got married. Who does that?? SP seemed to never want his offspring out of his grasp (lest maybe they tell of their molestation by him???) even though he seemed to let go of Jennifer (thank goodness). When Susan got JP to move to Utah with her, SP probably was planning her death from that moment on. How dark can one person be? Amazing.

Too bad they couldn't torture him until he said where to find Susan's body. I have always thought he knew where Susan was.

I was thinking the same thing. Let someone innocent from Guantanamo go free and let SP take his place.

We wouldn't be much of a country if that's the way we got information. Prisoners - even monsters like this - have rights just like everyone else.

Agreed but, sadly, we are already a country who is torturing prisoners. I wish we weren't, but we are. :(

My intuition is tell me that this is the truth. I always thought it quite odd that Susan had to live with JP's father after they first got married. Who does that?? SP seemed to never want his offspring out of his grasp (lest maybe they tell of their molestation by him???) even though he seemed to let go of Jennifer (thank goodness). When Susan got JP to move to Utah with her, SP probably was planning her death from that moment on. How dark can one person be? Amazing.

I know it sounds strange that Susan and JP lived with SP but I did not think it was so strange to cause me to become suspicious that SP was controlling Josh. Back in my day when I was LDS, men and women were counseled to marry young. Returned missionaries were counseled to find a wife pronto. Because the young men delayed their education (in some cases) to go on a mission and advised to marry quickly, they were not ideally prepared (IMO) to marry and start a family. But I have seen that happen and have seen that some couples do live with families until they can save money and get out on their own. Just my observations.

I did become suspicous of SP when he started to "talk" for JP and began to give interviews.

(Deleted to honor Trisha's request that we drop the subject.)

I don't have to imagine that, it happened to me when I was 12 years old. And even so, I am a strong supporter of the constitution.

You miss the point when you say you don't fear arrest because you don't do things that would get you arrested. In countries without strong civil rights protections, you don't have to deliberately do something wrong. All you have to do is attract the attention of a corrupt police officer.

Imagine this: your next door neighbour is a police officer. When you go outside to do yard work, you start to notice this guy staring at you in a way that makes you feel creeped out. You're not attracted to him, you haven't done anything to attract notice from anyone, all you are doing is trimming your grass. You're just trying to live your life and mind your own business.

And then one day, you are driving your car, following the speed limit, and a police car lights up behind you. The officer comes up to your window and you realise it is your next door neighbour. He claims he had you on radar going 35 mph over the speed limit. You know this is completely wrong, a complete lie, so you tell him no, you are sure that you were going at the speed limit, no faster.

As quick as that, he drags you through your open window, throws you to the ground, kicks you repeatedly and punches you in the face several times. He finally cuffs you and puts you in his police car.

You spend a week in jail without medical attention and without your family knowing where you are (no civil rights, remember?). Your urine is red coloured for several days. Somehow your family hears a rumour you may have been jailed and they get a lawyer for you. That lawyer discovers that you have been charged with resisting arrest.

And oh yeah, your arraignment won't be for another three months. At which time a judge will consider whether you might be released on bail. You won't get medical attention until you are on bail, so you're hoping your broken nose sets right and that the persistent pain in your side is just cracked ribs and not anything worse.

That's what it is like to live in a country without strong civil rights and protections. You don't have to do anything wrong, you just have to attract the attention of the wrong person.

After all, all *you* did was drive at the speed limit. Of course, no one in the judiciary is likely to believe you because if you were innocent, why did you resist arrest?

I agree- this man was so controlling and involved with his son's family, I feel
he could not let go. He did not want Susan to be a parent to the children.
In fact, he did not want to let go of Josh. What an unhealthy parent/child
relationship which he wanted repeated with his grandchildren.

I feel he had his hand in the murder, if not directly, he knows where Susans body is hidden. I doubt he will give Susan up though. He is too much of
a control freak and is still protecting what he feels is the right course of
action. He is rather twisted in his beliefs, (as we have witnessed).

Goz

"...he will not cooperate with investigations being conducted by law enforcement agencies into the case."

Umm, not really a choice there Sparky.

If LE wants/needs your cooperation, you can be compelled to give it.

"...he will not cooperate with investigations being conducted by law enforcement agencies into the case."

Umm, not really a choice there Sparky.

If LE wants/needs your cooperation, you can be compelled to give it.

All he has to do is not talk. I dont think he will ever admit to anything.

All he has to do is not talk. I dont think he will ever admit to anything.

Under an investigative subpoena or grand jury proceeding, he can be compelled to talk.

Or he can go to jail for contempt.

Under an investigative subpoena or grand jury proceeding, he can be compelled to talk.

Or he can go to jail for contempt.

Fifth Amendment rights do not disappear when an investigative subpoena or a grand jury is involved.

The only exception is if the subject is offered immunity in return for their testimony. Immunity must be offered before the testimony is given and it cannot be revoked based on the testimony. So if SP were offered immunity, then testified that he killed Susan, led LE directly to her body, etc, he'd still have immunity.

I can't imagine many prosecutors being willing to take that chance.

In any case, since he's sitting in jail right now, I fail to see how going to jail for contempt of court would work as a motivator.

Fifth Amendment rights do not disappear when an investigative subpoena or a grand jury is involved.

The only exception is if the subject is offered immunity in return for their testimony. Immunity must be offered before the testimony is given and it cannot be revoked based on the testimony. So if SP were offered immunity, then testified that he killed Susan, led LE directly to her body, etc, he'd still have immunity.

I can't imagine many prosecutors being willing to take that chance.

In any case, since he's sitting in jail right now, I fail to see how going to jail for contempt of court would work as a motivator.

I mean what are they going to do, Punish him? Make him talk?

As stated, he is already in jail....
They have nothing to induce this dkfjeofewu to talk...

Goz

I mean what are they going to do, Punish him? Make him talk?

As stated, he is already in jail....
They have nothing to induce this dkfjeofewu to talk...

Goz

That's what I meant. He's already in jail so what does he care. Just because they want him to talk doesn't mean he will. :banghead:

I can't think of any other time in my life where I have prayed, even begged to the skies above, to please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE, pleeeeeeasse let this person do the right thing here.

This is crazy.

I am also a very firm believer in "positive manifestation." I know, I'm a hippy.
I am going to remain pretty diligent and steadfast in thinking that SP is going to admit to what he knows on day. Sooner than later, please.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back