Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear

His stepmother's cousin, who lives in the area, said that she favors her own children and doesn't treat the father's children very nicely and the father doesn't do anything about it. He doesn't want to go back to his father. when found he was weak, and the only thing he complained about was that his ears hurt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iscovered-father-lied-died-rocket-attack.html

The stowaway teenager who miraculously survived a five hour flight to Hawaii hidden in the wheel well of a Boeing 767 was falsely told by his own father that his mother was dead – and he discovered the truth two years ago, it was claimed today.

So are they going to send him back to the US or send him on to Africa?
Father of teen stowaway plans to fly to Hawaii

Posted: 3:09 p.m. Sunday, April 27, 2014
KTVU-AP
SAN JOSE, Calif. —
The father of the teenager who climbed into the wheel well of a jet at San Jose International Airport and survived a 5 1/2-hour trip flight to Hawaii says he plans to fly to Hawaii soon to bring his son home. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/teen-stowaway-desperate-see-mother/nfjXt/

Father of teen stowaway plans to fly to Hawaii

Posted: 3:09 p.m. Sunday, April 27, 2014
KTVU-AP
SAN JOSE, Calif. —
The father of the teenager who climbed into the wheel well of a jet at San Jose International Airport and survived a 5 1/2-hour trip flight to Hawaii says he plans to fly to Hawaii soon to bring his son home. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/teen-stowaway-desperate-see-mother/nfjXt/

The father says his 15-year-old son is "struggling adjusting to life in this country." He says his son didn't receive formal education in the war-torn African nation, where the boy's mother remains in a refugee camp.

I certainly hope more investigation is done before this boy is released to his father. To tell your children that their mother died, is not a good point for a father.

It sounds like the father has money and the means to escape from their home country, while the mother has nothing. For this boy to not have received education due to war, of course he is not adjusting to high school in the USA! Nothing is said about the other children in the house as to how they are adjusting to life in America. Please let the circumstances of their home be completely checked out.

State officials won't let dad see teen stowaway, relative says

Five days after the father of a teenage stowaway flew to Hawaii to reunite with his son, Hawaii social service agency officials have yet to allow the San Jose cabdriver and Somali refugee to see him.
a source close to the family confirmed that the father has been denied access to his son and doesn't know when he will come home or if he will ultimately be able to bring the teenager with him.
A spokeswoman with the Hawaii Department of Human Services sent out a news release Friday saying officials would not provide information about the case or the teen, who has been hospitalized with breathing difficulties.
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...have-denied-father-hawaiian-airlines-stowaway

Agree! This boy is very unhappy, desperate to get far far away. I hope he makes a fast and thorough recovery!
I certainly hope more investigation is done before this boy is released to his father. To tell your children that their mother died, is not a good point for a father.

It sounds like the father has money and the means to escape from their home country, while the mother has nothing. For this boy to not have received education due to war, of course he is not adjusting to high school in the USA! Nothing is said about the other children in the house as to how they are adjusting to life in America. Please let the circumstances of their home be completely checked out.

I do wish the boy well, but I'm wondering about a few things.

If the boy had been a regular American citizen (of any race or culture), would he have been charged? He is lucky, but he illegally hopped a fence and illegally stowed away. Isn't this breaking the law? Should he be in a juvenile detention center?

Zahra Billoo of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in San Francisco, who has been speaking on behalf of the boy's family, declined to provide any details. "We're doing our best to help the family maintain the privacy they requested," she said Saturday morning.

His mother told The Associated Press that the boy longed to see her, but couldn't because his father told him she was dead and didn't allow contact.

The boy's sister said Monday that their birth mother was lying, and that the father didn't take the children away from her or mistreat them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/yahya-abdi-teen-stowaway-who-flew-in-wheel-well-leaves-hawaii/

I do wish the boy well, but I'm wondering about a few things.

If the boy had been a regular American citizen (of any race or culture), would he have been charged? He is lucky, but he illegally hopped a fence and illegally stowed away. Isn't this breaking the law? Should he be in a juvenile detention center?

What good would it do? He didn't do anything malicious.

My heart hurts for this kid. He's obviously very unhappy to take such a risk to get away. :(

What good would it do? He didn't do anything malicious.

My heart hurts for this kid. He's obviously very unhappy to take such a risk to get away. :(
BBM.

Malicious, maybe not. Reckless disregard for himself.
Reckless disregard for possibly for hundreds of others. Putting their lives at risk.

Could his act of stowing himself in wheel well/landing gear bay have caused plane to crash
on takeoff, landing, or even caused problems in midflight?

Sorry he's unhappy in US for whatever reason and hope he gets to return to mother in his home country.
JM2cts.

ETA: DK if juvie is the answer for him, but imo if he stays in US, there should be some consequence(s) for him.

Even without stowing away illegally in plane, he trespassed and endangered self and others
by climbing airport fences and crossing into the flightline/tarmac.

Criminal offenses committed aboard an aircraft are subject to the jurisdiction of federal courts. This certainly falls under that category, as does hopping a security fence.

Just because a crime isn't malicious doesn't mean it's not a crime. A vagrant sleeping in a garage isn't malicious, but he/she would be charged with trespassing.

Criminal offenses committed aboard an aircraft are subject to the jurisdiction of federal courts. This certainly falls under that category, as does hopping a security fence.

Just because a crime isn't malicious doesn't mean it's not a crime. A vagrant sleeping in a garage isn't malicious, but he/she would be charged with trespassing.

But your vagrant probably would be told to move on, not prosecuted, unless he had trespassed numerous times.

I don't think that does any good either.

Just because something is a law doesn't mean it's a good or useful law.

I don't think that does any good either.

Just because something is a law doesn't mean it's a good or useful law.
BBM.

Agree 100% that not every criminal law is good or useful.

OTOH, does anyone here favor locating swingsets, slides, monkey bars, & playground equipment on airport tarmac/flightlines and
allowing school children and gen pub to use without restriction?
Or what about removing fences and security systems (perfect or not) around airport tarmac /flightlines and
allowing passage to anyone who wishes to have a look around?

Rationale for crim trespassing laws re airport tarmac is safety for gen pub, passengers, crew, airline vendors, et al.- and
imo, seem like good and useful laws. Maybe not perfect.

JM2cts and I may be wrong. :seeya:

I can see both sides of your stories. At times I feel we have to look at the bigger picture. This boy is a runaway who thankfully did not die. He is screaming out for help.

While we can list all the negatives to his escapade, of which there are many, I feel punishment is not going to teach a depressed, dejected forlorn boy one thing. As Americans who want to help foreigners, let's reach out to this teen and check into the possibility of reuniting him with his mother. We can get to the truth of the story, and do what is best for him. Too many runaway cases end up with permanently missing or dead children.

My opinion only.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back