Teenager will work for food sign

I wish to God my students' parents would take the bull by the horns like this mom did. Although I might not have a job! All my students are "at-risk" of dropping out, mostly because of behavior. The worst thing is that they have no consciences, in so many cases. I've only been here an hour this a.m. - already my breakfast bar was stolen from my desk, a parent yelled at me - she was annoyed she had to come get her out of control kid - said she wasn't about to lose her job over the fact that we call her at least 3 times a week - I told her she was talking to the wrong person - her son is the one to whom she should be addressing her comments - and I've dealt with a suspension, a kid called a teacher a "dick" and worse, can't say it here.

I cannot describe how frustrated I am with the parents of these kids. They are ruining them. We will all pay the price. Somedays I wonder if I have the energy and wherewithall to keep dealing with it.

Eve

eve said:
I wish to God my students' parents would take the bull by the horns like this mom did. Although I might not have a job! All my students are "at-risk" of dropping out, mostly because of behavior. The worst thing is that they have no consciences, in so many cases. I've only been here an hour this a.m. - already my breakfast bar was stolen from my desk, a parent yelled at me - she was annoyed she had to come get her out of control kid - said she wasn't about to lose her job over the fact that we call her at least 3 times a week - I told her she was talking to the wrong person - her son is the one to whom she should be addressing her comments - and I've dealt with a suspension, a kid called a teacher a "dick" and worse, can't say it here.

I cannot describe how frustrated I am with the parents of these kids. They are ruining them. We will all pay the price. Somedays I wonder if I have the energy and wherewithall to keep dealing with it.

Eve
God bless you, Eve. :blowkiss:

eve said:

Eve

Parenting is just plain hard work, and some just aren't willing to be "up to it". They expect society to raise them, or the schools I guess. It takes a partnership.

You certainly have my sympathy; I'm sure I could never do what you're doing.

Marthatex said:
Parenting is just plain hard work, and some just aren't willing to be "up to it". They expect society to raise them, or the schools I guess. It takes a partnership.

You certainly have my sympathy; I'm sure I could never do what you're doing.

Thank you, Marthatex and jannuncutt.

I don't know if I can be doing what I'm doing, either. :confused: What is wrong with people?

Eve

Parenting is tough, and every kid is different. The teenage years are really tough - they want to be an adult, they need to learn to be independent, but they're still not quite ready for full independence and there are hormones and junk that seriously impact their decision making abilities.

I think the mother did a good thing - made it clear to her daughter that there were consequences for her actions - right now it's holding up an embarassing sign - later maybe it's having to hold that sign for real. I don't see how it's any different than embarassing them by going to school with them or not letting them go on a trip or some such - kids will get embarassed - it's a good lesson to learn to deal with it. Going to the homeless shelter is an idea too, but this one worked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back