Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

Really dysfunctional family.

Tsarnaev allegedly knew brother was part of triple slaying

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/11/witness-can-testify-that-bombing-suspect-tsarnaev-knew-brother-was-involved-waltham-triple-slaying-according-court-filing/dEFhb6pk9HrNC8XOXWMbYM/story.html

A prosecution witness could testify that Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev knew his older brother was involved in a triple homicide in Waltham in 2011, according to a defense motion filed in federal court Friday.

Prosecutors made the revelation of the existence of the witness in a letter in August, according to Friday’s filing, which asked for a variety of information from prosecutors, including legible copies of documents from the Russian government and information and evidence related to the Waltham killings. The case remains open, even after a friend of Tamerlan Tsarnaev reportedly confessed and implicated Tamerlan in the killings.

In that latest Boston Globe article it says:

"A month after the Marathon bombing, Ibragim Todashev, 27, was fatally shot by an FBI agent in Florida after he allegedly confessed on tape to helping Tamerlan Tsarnaev kill the three men in Waltham. Tamerlan died in a confrontation with police four days after the bombings."

I don't recall anything about him confessing on tape. Am I losing my mind?

In that latest Boston Globe article it says:

"A month after the Marathon bombing, Ibragim Todashev, 27, was fatally shot by an FBI agent in Florida after he allegedly confessed on tape to helping Tamerlan Tsarnaev kill the three men in Waltham. Tamerlan died in a confrontation with police four days after the bombings."

I don't recall anything about him confessing on tape. Am I losing my mind?

I never read they had a taped confession either.

I remember something about a recording/video of a confession before he was asked to write it out.

After the shooting, McFarlane told the FBI he did not know that the State Police troopers had been taping Todashev’s confession. He said he often had his back to the troopers as they questioned Todashev.

But once he learned about the recordings, McFarlane suggested to a supervisor that they release the confession to the media. In a statement supplied to the Florida prosecutor, McFarlane said he told a supervisor “it would be nice if we released the video because it would refute many of the press’ allegations.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ord-officer/7zJ1ha78Z0SpfDey0PBuJJ/story.html

I think I was waiting for more details about it since, if it exists, it could have taken some pressure off.

Ok, my memory is coming back a bit. I believe the State Trooper(s) must have been taping it with their cell phones?

I was partially correct.... who knows if this is the definitive version though.

In our story, we reported that there were no recordings from that night, because in all the law enforcement leaks and official statements to the media after the shooting, and in all our conversations with people connected to it, no one had ever alleged that there were. The reason for this, it turns out, is that the FBI itself claims it didn’t know there were recordings. The Massachusetts State Police apparently made them on their own, and then didn’t tell the FBI about them in initial interviews after the shooting.

Investigators made one audio and four video recordings of the five-hour interview, captured on three different devices, including a trooper’s cell phone and a video recorder that the trooper had to keep deleting his family videos from during the interview in order to make room on the memory card. "It wasn’t a thought out plan...we were moving on the fly," the trooper says in the report.
There is not a recording of Ibragim attacking the FBI agent or the subsequent shooting. When Ibragim began writing his confession, the trooper who was videotaping stopped recording to check the text messages on his phone.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2014/04/update-dead-men-tell-no-tales

It did seem to me that authorities were pretty darned sure that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was involved in the Waltham murders before the recent info about some informant/witness....I guess that couldn't have come from IT.

I've never been able to ascertain if IT just had info, was somehow involved, or fully involved....I know we talked about this, some of his info didn't seem quite right. Hopefully we'll find out more one of these days and they will name all involved in those 2011 murders.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...victed-of-lying-to-fbi/ar-BBbI0cO?ocid=LENDHP

Bombing suspect's friend convicted of lying to FBI

Robel Phillipos, 21, of Cambridge, was convicted of two counts for lying about being in Tsarnaev's dorm room while two other friends removed a backpack containing fireworks and other potential evidence three days after the bombing while an intense manhunt was underway for the suspected bombers. He looked straight ahead impassively as the guilty verdicts were read.

Interesting, DTs lawyers are asking again.. wonder how DT sees all this? And does it bolster the Waltham case that they think TT is guilty of the murders?

Tsarnaev defense team pushing for details on Waltham triple murder
Nov 5, 2014

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s defense team argues it’s “critical” prosecutors be ordered to disclose what they know about his late brother Tamerlan’s alleged involvement in an unsolved triple homicide in Waltham.

With their trial starting two months from today — and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, facing the federal death penalty if convicted of last year’s terrorist attack in Copley Square — “The government is simply mistaken to think that actual participation of Tamerlan in the Waltham homicides is not relevant,” the public defenders said in a court filing last night.

“Evidence of Tamerlan’s past participation in an unusually brutal triple homicide, in contrast to Dzhokhar’s non-violent reputation and lack of a prior record of violence, is mitigating with respect to Dzhokhar’s relative role,” the lawyers said.
https://www.bostonherald.com/news_o...se_team_pushing_for_details_on_waltham_triple

I didn't see this posted yet and it's an ABSOLUTE MUST READ...in its entirety...wow! IMO it's one of the best articles written in a very long while regarding the players and questionable happenings.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/10/24/women-behind-boston-marathon-bombing-suspects-277760.html

In some ways stomach churning :( ...

Zubeidat’s response: She told her oldest son it was time to get a more pliant and pious girlfriend, someone like the woman he had been dating on the sly since 2007: Katherine Russell.

(
FSB) took the extraordinary step of warning the FBI that Zubeidat and Tamerlan had been flagged as “adherents of radical Islam” who were dangerously close to Islamic militants in Chechnya, including one whose phone was apparently tapped. In one of those calls, the FSB said, Zubeidat declared her son’s readiness to die for Islam. Text messages she exchanged with Tamerlan, intercepted by the FSB, urged him to go to Palestine for terrorist training and instructed him to learn Arabic.

What is wrong with K?

Russell’s parents are now trying to sell her childhood home, and she is nestled back into the fold of the Tsarnaeva women, sharing a cramped, government-subsidized apartment with her two sisters-in-law

Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect in the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, is scheduled to appear in a federal courtroom in Boston this week. His attorneys have informed prosecutors with the U.S. attorney's office in Boston that he'll attend a Dec. 18 status hearing in the bombing case — the last before his highly anticipated trial, which is set to begin Jan. 5.

http://news.yahoo.com/tsarnaev-court-boston-marathon-bombings-045706558.html

Teyer also addressed the media outside the courthouse, claiming her son, Ibragim Todashev, was murdered by the feds to stop him from being a character witness at Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s trial.

“They went to Florida specifically to kill him,” Teyer said, adding she had come from her home in Savannah, Ga., to voice her support for the suspected Chechen terrorist.
Todashev, 27, a mixed martial arts fighter, was fatally shot by an FBI agent he lunged at on May 22, 2013, allegedly after confessing he and Tamerlan Tsarnaev committed a triple homicide in Waltham on Sept. 11, 2011.
Teyer said the feds’ contention isn’t true, and that her son-in-law was in Orlando, Fla., to visit family.

“He did not want to die. He did not want to commit suicide. He was trying to leave that room and they shot him three times to stop him because he knew too much,” she said, trembling with emotion. “He could have been a good support for defense for Dzhokhar. He is not here now. I know what he would say: ‘They were not radical, they were not crazy men. They were nice and good boys,’ ” she said of Tsarnaev and his brother.

“He knows that family so well,” she said. “He knows those boys.”

Teyer, 45, says she is a retired U.S. Army pharmacy technician and the mother of Todashev’s widow, Reni Manukyan.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...aev_s_mom_leaving_everything_s_in_god_s_hands

I thought Reni had said he didn't know them? But I don't understand how he would have made a good character witness anyway. And, I don't know what to think about her statement, "her son-in-law was in Orlando, Fla., to visit family."??

Daily Mail's take on the court apprearance today:

Bearded 'Boston bomber' Dzhokhar Tsarnaev smiles as he appears in court while one of his supporters is dragged from the room screaming 'don't kill an innocent boy'

With some photos and a courtroom sketch.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2879179/Marathon-bombing-suspect-court-Thursday.html#

AND, that Newsweek article linked to above was really interesting.
I didn't remember anything about the Umarov family, so will research that, and there is something really off about Tamerlan's widow, imo.

Just checking on past articles to see what had been said....

They were never close friends,” Reni Manukyan, Todashev’s wife and widow, claimed about the relationship between Tsarnaev and Todashev. “They attended the same gym.”

...Todashev was living a complicated life: under surveillance, in recovery from surgery, without a job; he never had a job in Florida, his wife says. They were separated and she had moved out of their rented condo and gone to Atlanta. But he was driving her Mercedes and she was sharing her checkbook with him while she was working two jobs, as a chambermaid and hotel desk clerk. Meanwhile, he was living in the Orlando condo with his new girlfriend from Moldova, Tatiana Gruzdeva, whose visa had expired.
http://www.wbur.org/2014/01/14/todashev-fatal-fbi-shooting

According to Ms. Manukyan, Mr. Todashev lived in the Boston area from 2008 to 2010 before moving to the Atlanta area a few months after their marriage in July 2010. She says she and her husband moved to the Orlando area in 2011, in part because he had friends there and it was a better place for the mixed-martial-arts fighting Mr. Todashev practiced.

There’s no doubt about it, he wasn’t normal,” Mr. Trites said of Mr. Todashev. “You don’t go at a police officer with a knife. You’re asking for trouble. I don’t blame them for killing him, but I don’t know, man, something doesn’t add up.”

While Mr. Tsarnaev and Mr. Mess were friends, Mr. Todashev didn’t seem to know Mr. Mess, Mr. Trites said. And he didn’t appear very close to Mr. Tsarnaev, either, according to fighters and acquaintances.
https://deepsixcover.wordpress.com/...f-chechen-man-killed-in-fbi-probe-speaks-out/

Milton Valencia @MiltonValencia · Dec 31
It's official, Tsarnaev trial starting Monday. Judge rejects request to move trial, or postpone it.

Milton Valencia retweeted
Russell Contreras @RussContreras · 2h 2 hours ago
RT @DMAnews1: Jury selection in Tsarnaev (Boston bombing) trial to begin Monday Jan 5. @BostonGlobe's @MiltonValencia will cover trial

Do we have a trial thread for this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back