The 1998 Investigation

Respectfully snipped.

Sandusky was still the defensive coordinator in 1998. He would have been removed from that position, even before the case went to trial.

His arrest would have tarnished the reputation of Penn State football and Joe Paterno, which would have harmed football recruiting. And there is no way in hell that Penn State footaball fanatics would have consider the PSU police (or the DA) heroes for damaging the football program. Yes, you and I know that it was Sandusky who would brought shame to the program in that situation; the fans, however, would have seen it differently. Just look at the hatred they have for Mike McQueary.

I don't agree with damage to the program. There would have been no involvement of the PSU 3 or Paterno. PSU's mantra would have been, "This was terrible, but we cooperated fully with the investigators." Even from what Freeh found, Paterno's involvement in 1998 was very limited.

Gricar would have faced the wrath of the "crazy football fans," because everyone would have assumed that Sandusky was Paterno's heir apparent. Paterno, who didn't want Sandusky, would have breathed a sigh of relief. Gricar could have had a harder time in the 2001 primary, which was fairly close and possibly a general election challenge.

PSU would have been embarrassed, but not enough to damage anything.

There are probably multiple Clery Act violations. :(

As for Gricar...well, he's not here to justify his decision. All the more reason that the 98 investigation needs to be looked into.

I suspect it won't happen, unfortunately. Ironically, the only people really calling for further investigation in to how the 1998 incident was handled are the Joebots. They're convinced the cover-up will lead back to the Harrisburg branch of the Illuminati. Well, OK, if that's where the evidence take us. I doubt it, but I have an open mind. There just needs to be an investigation.

JMO

I think it could. There is some indication of additional contact between PSU and the DA's Office. It isn't Harrisburg, but Old Main and the Centre County Courthouse. Ganter left, abruptly, and Sloane had a very favorable plea bargain. 1998 could set up 2001. If any of the PSU 3 knew there was a "problem" in 1998, then covering up 2001 becomes much worse. If that happened, it will come out.

I know not everyone who's following the Sandusky case is a college football fan, so you may not be aware of the investigation into an alleged sexual assault by one of the top players in the country. The below article gives some interesting insight on how local cops operate in a university town with a big time college football program.

http://http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131120/NEWS/131120009/Update-Complainant-s-attorney-Jameis-Winston-case-assumed-TPD-had-informed-state-attorney

“When the attorney contacted Detective Angulo immediately after Winston was identified, Detective Angulo told the attorney that Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable,” the letter said.

What I find interesting about the Tallahassee investigation is the political hot potato the TPD and the State Attorney are playing with the case. It took the TPD 11 months to turn the case over to the State Attorney. Very strange. Definitely a contrast to how the Sandusky 98 investigation was handled.

Snipped

http://http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131120/NEWS/131120009/Update-Complainant-s-attorney-Jameis-Winston-case-assumed-TPD-had-informed-state-attorney

What I find interesting about the Tallahassee investigation is the political hot potato the TPD and the State Attorney are playing with the case. It took the TPD 11 months to turn the case over to the State Attorney. Very strange. Definitely a contrast to how the Sandusky 98 investigation was handled.

Ironically, the PSU Police seemed to take the Sandusky case with a degree of urgency.

I posted this today on the Crimes forum and somebody commented that alumni might be behind the case being 'reopened' because they are trying to ruin Winston's great season.

It was never closed, just never investigated, then put on a shelf because LE said the victim did not want to prosecute. The family wrote a letter that this was not true.

True. But with DPW involved, burying the accusation was never an option.

True, but when they started, DPW wasn't yet on the scene.

It looks like Schreffler contacted C&YS and then the DA's Office prior to Lauro showing up. Miller (C&YS) and Schreffler interviewed Victim 6 on Monday, May 4. PSU Police were not trying to suppress this.

True, but when they started, DPW wasn't yet on the scene.

It looks like Schreffler contacted C&YS and then the DA's Office prior to Lauro showing up. Miller (C&YS) and Schreffler interviewed Victim 6 on Monday, May 4. PSU Police were not trying to suppress this.

"Suppress" is a strong word. I agree there was no attempt to suppress. It's troubling, however, that the PSU Police, possibly, violated the Clery Act by calling the investigation an administrative matter and not a criminal investigation. It was a definitely a thorough criminal investigation. So why cover it up?

I think it's a case of how a lack of transparency is counter-productive: it gives the appearance of an improper investigation when that was not necessarily the case.

"Suppress" is a strong word. I agree there was no attempt to suppress. It's troubling, however, that the PSU Police, possibly, violated the Clery Act by calling the investigation an administrative matter and not a criminal investigation. It was a definitely a thorough criminal investigation. So why cover it up?

I think it's a case of how a lack of transparency is counter-productive: it gives the appearance of an improper investigation when that was not necessarily the case.

Oh, good Lord, yes, covering this up was a bad idea.

I get the feeling these decisions were well beyond the pay grade of Schreffler (and possibly Hammon).

Gary Schultz claimed he was unaware that there was ever a criminal investigation...in 2011! How could he not know the University police investigated the allegation in 98 when he was, supposedly, the police commissioner. In addition, he reviewed the file on the case and met with Harmon in 2001. And yet his reponse to the prosecutor telling him that the University police investigated the allegation was "Wow." How is that possible?
An old thread, but the issue came up on the current Gricar thread. This is snipped for emphasis only.

Schultz testified that when he heard about the 2001 incident, it took him a "about a nanosecond," to recall the 1998 incident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back