...the case of the purloined PDA...

Timex said:
Thats my question...
1. why are we assuming law enforcement doesnt have them?
2. Or never had them?
3. Have they made a statement saying such items were missing?

1. we don't know
2. we don't know
3. no

But one of our members posted that a laptop was missing.

Since they listed the PDA charger on the warrant, I would assume they already had the PDA...but that's just me. Most times in cases like this, they don't release all of the warrant information.

Timex said:
Since they listed the PDA charger on the warrant, I would assume they already had the PDA...but that's just me. Most times in cases like this, they don't release all of the warrant information.
That is my feeling as well. Perhaps they had to go back for the charger for practical reasons--they needed to charge it to keep going through it.

If there was blood spatter on the PDA, would LE have to get a warrant to take it? I don't understand the rules, but if it was direct evidence can't they bag it and take it from the scene?

:laugh:
Timex said:
Have they made a statement saying such items were missing?
You probably weren't trying to be funny, but when I read this it made me LOL! LE make a statement in this case? Yeah, right!:)

I'm assuming the opposite after studying the search warrant. BUT I believe that there could have been lots more search warrants that they served that they did not release to the public.

So, it could be there or it could be missing :banghead: .

golfmom said:
I'm assuming the opposite after studying the search warrant. BUT I believe that there could have been lots more search warrants that they served that they did not release to the public.

So, it could be there or it could be missing :banghead: .
It's all summed up:

1. LE has the equipment (from a search warrant not released);
2. LE doesn't have the equipment; or
3. There was no equipment at the time LE arrived.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I just went back and PAINSTAKINGLY looked throught the original search warrant, AGAIN (UGH!).

If you'll remember, on each of the inventory of items pages, there are several things listed. And, the items are numbered. I was able to piece together the numbers from ones I could actually SEE, and then based on referece notes in the comments section.

The pages as WRAL posted them are actually out of order (as far as numeric sequence of items seized).

The item count goes up to # 54. Now, that said, there could have been additional pages not released.

BUT, if you look really closely, and keep tabs, you'll see the following:

Of the inventory pages- -

Page 1: Items 51-54
P2: Items 44-50
P3: Items 19-26
P4: Items 27-34
P5: Items 35-42
P6: Items 11-18
P7: Items 4-10
P8: Item 43

Stay with me a sec longer :)

SO, put them in order, and there are NO items 1-3.

Computers? PDA? Who knows.

But, Timex' point it well taken, as far as maybe everything was not released, or, that there have been additional search warrant(s).

The search warrant, as posted on WRAL: (there are 15 pages, the inventory begins on page 8)

http://www.wral.com/slideshow/4444879/detail.html?qs=;s=1;w=800

You know when I was retyping it for the Crime Scene Thread I noticed that they were out of order.

So, I put them in an order that made sense to me ... and didn't even notice that they were numbered.

Good catch! :woohoo:

SouthEastSleuth said:

But, Timex' point it well taken, as far as maybe everything was not released, or, that there have been additional search warrant(s).

The search warrant, as posted on WRAL: (there are 15 pages, the inventory begins on page 8)

Ah ha! Nice catch.

SouthEastSleuth said:

I wonder if LE meant to keep items 1-3 private and they didn't make that page public or if that page listing items 1-3 was missed by the press??

Also, I noticed that on the bottom right hand corner of page 15 there is some handwritting reflecting items 4-43 and 57 & 59???

Timex said:
I thought the PDA charger was on the first warrant. :waitasec:

JerseyGirl said:
Maybe we should call it the released warrant. Yes, the charger was there.

JerseyGirl said:

Correct...but they still could have had the computer and PDA. He could have allowed them to take them without a warrant, then they got the warrant to go back and get other things.

I'm STILL dwelling on this computer, PDA, laptop deal...

OK, so, even we assume that somehow LE did in fact take all of those items, either in the initial search warrant (maybe the missing items 1-3?), or, in some subsequent warrant, about which we have no specific knowledge, or, that Raven volunteered the items. Whatever...

I've been digging around to see what DOCUMENTED evidence we have, with regards to Raven being online, posting somewhere, anything.

April 25 was the big day - Ravenstree created. Blog updated (Interesting thing I noticed for the first time. At the bottom of the entry, it says it was posted on April 25, which was a Monday, 11:15AM. May mean nothing, but he had been working a new job, would be home at a Monday, at 11:15AM? Sure, he could be. And sure, he could be posting FROM a job. Just an observation really.)

But, then I was curious to see what, if anything, we had found with dates AFTER April 25. Documented dates. Because presumably, if LE had all the computers, etc., how COULD he be online, etc. (unless from someone else's computer, sure). At least until those items were released to him, at some point in time.

Low and behold, the very next Tuesday, May 3, 2005, we have documentation that at least someone, presumably Raven, had logged on to the MySpace account.

So - within the week of the murder, SOMEONE logged onto MySpace. And to log on, you obviously would need a computer or the PDA. UNLESS, you were logging on from someone's computer, which is certainly a possibility.

That said, does anyone know of any other DOCUMENTED online activity, SINCE the updates on April 25, 2005?

SouthEastSleuth said:
I'm STILL dwelling on this computer, PDA, laptop deal...

OK, so, even we assume that somehow LE did in fact take all of those items, either in the initial search warrant (maybe the missing items 1-3?), or, in some subsequent warrant, about which we have no specific knowledge, or, that Raven volunteered the items. Whatever...

I've been digging around to see what DOCUMENTED evidence we have, with regards to Raven being online, posting somewhere, anything.

April 25 was the big day - Ravenstree created. Blog updated (Interesting thing I noticed for the first time. At the bottom of the entry, it says it was posted on April 25, which was a Monday, 11:15AM. May mean nothing, but he had been working a new job, would be home at a Monday, at 11:15AM? Sure, he could be. And sure, he could be posting FROM a job. Just an observation really.)

But, then I was curious to see what, if anything, we had found with dates AFTER April 25. Documented dates. Because presumably, if LE had all the computers, etc., how COULD he be online, etc. (unless from someone else's computer, sure). At least until those items were released to him, at some point in time.

Low and behold, the very next Tuesday, May 3, 2005, we have documentation that at least someone, presumably Raven, had logged on to the MySpace account.

So - within the week of the murder, SOMEONE logged onto MySpace. And to log on, you obviously would need a computer or the PDA. UNLESS, you were logging on from someone's computer, which is certainly a possibility.

That said, does anyone know of any other DOCUMENTED online activity, SINCE the updates on April 25, 2005?
I am sure there are other postings to documented online activity - I would just have to go through everything. SES - you are a great addition to our sleuthing team!!

I was just struck by what a huge overkill it was to own a laptop, desktop, and pda.

Moxie said:
I am sure there are other postings to documented online activity - I would just have to go through everything. SES - you are a great addition to our sleuthing team!!
The only documented piece of online activity I came across was the MySpace activity on May 3. If there are more, help me someone???

But regardless, the May 3rd activity does indeed show that Raven had online access from SOMEWHERE and from SOME piece of equipment...his or someone elses (well, for that matter you can go into the county library here and use the internet for free!)

SouthEastSleuth said:
The only documented piece of online activity I came across was the MySpace activity on May 3. If there are more, help me someone???

But regardless, the May 3rd activity does indeed show that Raven had online access from SOMEWHERE and from SOME piece of equipment...his or someone elses (well, for that matter you can go into the county library here and use the internet for free!)
Hold on. I need to clarify something here -

Yes, we have documentation where he logged in to MySpace, and I think even other sites, later in May, etc.

My thought is, in the days immediately following the murder...do we have documentation in that timeframe (other than May 3 MySpace).

My point in all that is, if LE TOOK the computers and the PDA, then any access in the days following the murder would be from non-personal owned computers, etc.

OR, I suppose you could also look at it and ASSUME that if Raven were still online and posting, etc., in the days shortly after April 25 (May 3rd, or even others??), then maybe LE did NOT take the computers and/or PDA...

golfmom said:
I was just struck by what a huge overkill it was to own a laptop, desktop, and pda.

Honestly, by todays standards that really isnt overkill. Many households have multiple computers, cellphones, PDA's, etc. Especially younger households. I couldnt begin to tell you the number of junior high kids that have these things.

Timex said:
Honestly, by todays standards that really isnt overkill. Many households have multiple computers, cellphones, PDA's, etc. Especially younger households. I couldnt begin to tell you the number of junior high kids that have these things.

I guess I'm getting old.
I don't have a computer for each child in their rooms. I don't even let them have a t.v. in their rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back