The Church?

I just wanted to add a note since I see some people debating whether or not any church goers are involved in a pedo ring.

I myself said I believe the church is a cover for criminal behavior, along the lines of sexually abusing children. I don't believe however that any people outside the family that may attend the church are in on it. I just wanted to clarify that. I think there is history of sex abuse in the pastors family and I think that is what they use the church for when there are no services. That being said, I did see several interviews with people who live near the church who said there is hardly any people that attend. :waitasec: In all honesty if there ARE people outside the family who attend, I feel sorry for them having been in/around the church where something heinous may have happened to Sandra.

Didn't Sandra say that she and her sister were going to go to the church and to see a movie? I had thought these were separate, but perhaps the movies were being shown in the church? Maybe MH was luring young children over there by telling them they could see a kid's movie on the projector screen? Then she would give them drinks which had drugs of some sort in them? The projector screen was taken as evidence by the FBI.

Okay. I learned a great lesson today in self control when I didn't post on the thread about the other Lawless guy arrest. I had a feeling something wasn't right there.

BUT....I am still very curious as to why the FBI is continuing to question people at Pastor Lawless's previous churches. Why are they doing that? What's the point? It makes no sense. Wouldn't Melissa have just been a baby when he was at those churches? So it couldn't be her abusing someone that they are wondering about, right? Or was she the supposedly abused child?

Has Melissa talked and said something to LE? Has she said who abused her, if anyone?

This is so confusing. It's like a milk shake brain freeze.

I'm just not getting it.

According to a KCRA report, this is the guy the FBI was most interested in.
The FBI was there on Good Friday while Melissa was courting all the radio, tv, and print news reporters.

http://www.kcra.com/video/19273697/index.html

Thanks for that link Nora.

A parishioner remembers from years ago a "Clifford Huckaby" who appeared to be in his late sixties?

The Tracy police seemed to insist that MH acted on her own, and yet on April 15th they arrested a relative and are also pursuing other leads?

Surely these all tie in somehow to what MH did?

According to a KCRA report, this is the guy the FBI was most interested in.
The FBI was there on Good Friday while Melissa was courting all the radio, tv, and print news reporters.

http://www.kcra.com/video/19273697/index.html

Melissa Huckaby was arrested at 11:55 PM on Good Friday, 4/10/09.

Scott Peterson was arrested on April 18, 2003, which was Good Friday.

Just a coincidence, but interesting, IMO.

Thanks for that link Nora.

A parishioner remembers from years ago a "Clifford Huckaby" who appeared to be in his late sixties?

The Tracy police seemed to insist that MH acted on her own, and yet on April 15th they arrested a relative and are also pursuing other leads?

Surely these all tie in somehow to what MH did?
I doubt there is any tie-in. I think the unnamed parishoner in Clarkston is a little bit 'dotty'. Would probably remember any name thrown at him/her. This kind of stuff probably doesn't happen every day in Clarkston.
The Lawless dude was arrested in Folsom, another county, and there is NO, REPEAT NO EVIDENCE that he is related in any way to Melissa and her family.
As far as other leads, I do think they are continuing to investigate the case.

I'm copying my post from the other thread. Probably should have put it here anyway...

Okay. I learned a great lesson today in self control when I didn't post on the thread about the other Lawless guy arrest. I had a feeling something wasn't right there.

BUT....I am still very curious as to why the FBI is continuing to question people at Pastor Lawless's previous churches. Why are they doing that? What's the point? It makes no sense. Wouldn't Melissa have just been a baby when he was at those churches? So it couldn't be her abusing someone that they are wondering about, right? Or was she the supposedly abused child?

Has Melissa talked and said something to LE? Has she said who abused her, if anyone?

I'm just not getting it.

ETA: Who is Dale Johnson and what does he have to do with the case against Sandra?

I'm just not getting it.

ETA: Who is Dale Johnson and what does he have to do with the case against Sandra?
The FBI interview in Washington State was on Good Friday, before Melissa was arrested.
Dale Johnson is/was a former Pastor of the First Church of God in Clarkston.
His name appears on the 'religious affiliation' paperwork. His name has appeared in some old news articles about officiating at weddings and burials.
That's about all I have been able to figure out about him.
I love milkshakes.

The FBI interview in Washington State was on Good Friday, before Melissa was arrested.
Dale Johnson is/was a former Pastor of the First Church of God in Clarkston.
His name appears on the 'religious affiliation' paperwork. His name has appeared in some old news articles about officiating at weddings and burials.
That's about all I have been able to figure out about him.
I love milkshakes.

LOL. Okay Thanks Nora. I love em too btw :) Except when they make my head hurt. Like today :crazy:

http://www.kcra.com/news/19266204/detail.html

In recent weeks, FBI agents visited a church along the Washington-Idaho border in connection with Melissa Huckaby's family, KCRA 3 has confirmed.

Huckaby, 28, has been charged in the homicide of 8-year-old Tracy girl Sandra Cantu. The girl's body was found in a suitcase pulled from an irrigation pond 10 days after she went missing.

"They were trying to put the pieces of their puzzle together. They were asking about certain people who might be able to lead them to other people. But I do not know exactly what they were looking for," Pastor Bill Creutzberg said by phone.

Sources close to the Cantu investigation told KCRA 3 that most of the FBI's questions centered on Pastor Lane Lawless.

Lawless, who lives in the mobile home park where Cantu once lived, is Huckaby's grandfather.

He is the pastor of Clover Road Baptist Church, which was searched while Sandra was missing and after Huckaby's arrest.

Sources told KCRA 3 that Lawless was questioned years ago as part of a report of suspected child abuse.

However, both the Asotin County Sheriff's Department and the Clarkston Police Department in Washington said they do not have any records of a criminal case ever being filed.
Lewiston, ID & Clarkston, WA are right across the river from each other & connected by a bridge.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyherald/localnews/ci_12240467?source=rss

As rumors of FBI checks into old Northwest child abuse claims roam the Internet as part of the Sandra Cantu murder investigation, a relative of Pastor Lane Lawless says that he and his wife, Connie, remain strong in their faith in God.

Rev. DeWayne Harris of Salinas said Monday that his sister Connie and his brother-in-law — grandparents of murder suspect Melissa Huckaby — are in Southern California trying to relax while the media frenzy surrounding their Tracy church continues. During the initial police investigation, before Huckaby was arrested in the killing of the 8-year-old, their Clover Road Baptist Church and nearby mobile home were searched multiple times.

"If our faith is not going to get us through this, it isn't worth it. If your faith doesn't take you through the worst of times, it is not worth having," said Harris, pastor of Alisal Baptist Church.

Recent news reports claim the FBI is checking allegations made in the '80s when Lawless was pastor of a church near the Idaho/Washington border — accusations Harris vigorously denies.

Harris says Lawless was never a pastor in the Northwest, but did serve in Redding and Gardenia in the 1970s before becoming a field missionary in Eureka. He then was pastor of a Mountain View church before coming to Tracy....

see the rest of the story at posted link. Has lots of background info on Lane and Connie Lawless.

"You don't shut a church down because there is bad press or speculation. All through the centuries, the Lord's' church has suffered because of false accusations," he said..

The national media spotlight has taken its toll on the Lawless family and their reputation, Harris said, adding that he thinks his niece is innocent.

Two more snips from your article, Snap. Might I say... these people are in big time denial! Moo of course

ETA: thanks for this thread

MOO for me too, nursebee! I can't believe this one (excerpt from article):

The national media spotlight has taken its toll on the Lawless family and their reputation, Harris said, adding that he thinks his niece is innocent.

Wow, talk about denial. She hasn't even entered a plea yet. ANd just looking at the circumstantial evidence that we have seen... her interview with the press before her arrest, the swallowing of the exacto blades, the (at best) association with the other missing girl and the benzos found in her system. We do not even have an inkling yet on what LE has as far as hard evidence. I am shocked that her uncle would say that. I would think he would say something more like, "we are praying for the Chavez/Cantu familiy as well as our Melissa. We hope that she can receive the help she needs". These people scare me... they scare me bigtime. I am not sure it is denial. It may be a cult.. of course there are rumors of that flying around. Think back to the movie Rosemary's Baby... all those characters APPEARED to be normal!!!!!

"Tracy church to remain open..."

I have two questions:
1) open for what???
and
2) open for whom???

Most reports on this church imply it's pretty much non-functioning, and has been for quite some time, perhaps several years.

Can anyone local up there report on whether they are holding regular Sunday services, and if so, how many people actually show up?

I would also like to know who is teaching the Sunday school, since the regular teacher has been charged with murder and is unavailable.

Im curious about this church too. From the bits and pieces I've read it seems only a small number of people attend and i wonder why?? Its been there for quite some time, right? Are newcomers welcome? I get the feeling probably not so much.

"Tracy church to remain open..."

I have two questions:
1) open for what???
and
2) open for whom???

Most reports on this church imply it's pretty much non-functioning, and has been for quite some time, perhaps several years.

Can anyone local up there report on whether they are holding regular Sunday services, and if so, how many people actually show up?

I would also like to know who is teaching the Sunday school, since the regular teacher has been charged with murder and is unavailable.

Joe,

It may be difficult to get a "local's" view on this for a few reasons.

Firstly, to clarify where the church is.. it is at the end of a dead end rural road. At the beginning of that road (clover rd), right off of Tracy Blvd (a main street going to the freeway) is where the MHP is located. I am saying this because it is not something that you can just "drive by". You would have to go out of your way to see what was going on there, and then make a U-turn at the end of a rural road. What with all the media attention, I do not have any desire to drive down there. And to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know of its or the MHP's existence before this case! I am hesitant to say this, as I do not tend it to be devisive, but Tracy is a bit of a "divided" town. It grew very quickly in the 90's because of its close proximity to the bay area. therefore, there are TONS of newer, mini-mansion type of homes in the southwest area. The people, like myself, who live out here, love our homes, our neighborhoods, and we work "over the hill" in pleasanton or livermore. It is only a 25min commute for me.. very close. Lots of us also shop over the hill as well as socialize. I am not saying this to "divide" up Tracy.. it is just a fact. Many of the "silent majority" merely sleep here. Many, many of us didn't even know of the MHP or the church before that poor little soul went missing.

So that is why it may be difficult to get a "local's" view on this.

That said, I did see video last week on a local news station which was talking about the church "services" resuming. It showed a handful of people parking and walking in.... maybe 5 or so. One lady had a baby in a carrier.

To be honest with you, I doubt that many locals here know anything about that church... it was remote, not something you could just pass by, and with a congregation of around 20, you are talking about 20 people out of ~70,000. Also, Lawless reportedly declined involvement with the other more mainstream churches in town. So those folks don't really know much either.

What little info we have on the church is what has been said to the media by Lawless family members as well as country residents who commented on not seeing much.

Sorry that is not helpful....

Snap

Locals wouldn't know much about the church, but other Baptists, especially the pastors would know about that branch of Baptist and their beliefs. I don't think it's good to continue having services where a child was murdered, supposedly by one of their own. If the church membership is so small it looks like they could rent a small office space or meet in someone's home instead. The family may change their tune once more is known and all the evidence comes out. It doesn't matter if they're in denial right now because it's not going to be up to them, but they deserve to have their faith to get them through it all.

I personally could not go to worship in a building where a young girl was killed.
I understand them relying on their faith in times like these, but come on people, do it somewhere else already!

Im curious about this church too. From the bits and pieces I've read it seems only a small number of people attend and i wonder why?? Its been there for quite some time, right? Are newcomers welcome? I get the feeling probably not so much.

Very few members and WHO pays the bills to SUPPORT this church.
How could ANYONE attend a church where a brutal murder, rape of a baby took place?
An EVIL CRIME!
It should be still a crime scene.......unless these people want to ruin acrime scene. IMO

It's more like a place to meet and greet..........
I hope LE keeps a good eye on the members.Is this Lawless "SELF APPOINTED" like a Jim Jones???
Maybe he does NOT preach Baptist teachings???? BUT HIS OWN!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back