The Rope and the knots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be most interesting to see those photos other people took and if they got the balcony-were the doors opened or closed early in the day?

Working on trying to find those pictures, through private sources!!

So add another 10' for drop and that leaves 10' of the tow-rope missing.

plus the noose and "tail" of rope off of the noose. But there is still a considerable length missing. Wonder if LE did any measuring of the rope lengths that were at the scene?

You guys are awesome!

At the top of Page 8 of the AR, it specifies the amount of rope found around the neck.

I was not able to copy and paste that portion in here, but it should be calculated into the configurations for the length of the rope. Also, I am not sure if the 7.5 inches (the distance the bed was from the wall) was also accounted for.

I come up with 48-50 feet of rope.

Anyone else?

Valhall (Hinky Meter) calculated the depth of the balcony @ 24".

In the SDSO diagram,the bedroom measures 224" long x 109.6" wide.

The bed (which looks like a double-sized bed) moved ~7.5" from the wall.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/images/rz-nebr.jpg

Standard size for double beds is 75".

224" - 75" = 149".

So there would have been 149" from the foot of the bed (minus a couple more inches for the footboard) to the balcony threshold.

149" + 24" = 173" from the foot of the bed to the balcony railing, but you need to add a few more feet for the rope going @ an angle up over the 36" high railing.

I'm going to guestimate that roughly 17' to 19' of rope (give or take a few inches) was used going from the footboard of the bed to where it went over the top of the railing.

So going with the above and AR...

• AR has rope on wrists at 84" + loop, appx. 90” = appx. 7.5'
  • AR DOES NOT INCLUDE LENGTH OF ROPE ON ANKLES.
  • From my loose-rope re-creation, I came up with appx. 20' for rope for BOTH bindings (which means an extremely generous 12.5' for ankle binding; may have been closer to 9'; loops on tow line are 6”).
  • PLUS 17' to 19' based on Sorrell Skye estimate above.
  • PLUS rope on neck as per AR of 22" plus loop = appx 2.5'
  • PLUS 9'2" drop = appx. 9'

At a minimum: 7.5 + 9 + 17 + 2.5 + 9 = 45'

At a maximum: 7.5 + 12.5 + 19 + 2.5 + 9 = 50.5'

Conclusions:

1) The rope was not masterfully cut into the perfect lengths for binding and hanging.

2) LE left out total amount of rope present at crime scene.

3) The total amount does not add up to the standard 60' minimum length of a two-person/340 tow rope (some two-person two ropes are LONGER).

4) There is a missing piece of rope that is approximately 9.5’ to 15' long.

Please doublecheck these figures. Thank you.

Wouldn't a new rope be more kinked up and harder to do all that self knotting?

For re-creation, I used brand-new, straight out of bag two-rider tow rope used for water-skiing, Jet-skis, etc, boating. It did not kink up and knotted fairly easily, but I found it extremely difficult to do tidy knots as appeared in LE demo. Also, difficult to deal with that length of rope when knotting, and wrist bindings were equal, suggesting they were done first.

This is photo of tow rope from West Marine. There are four West Marine stores within 10 miles of Coronado and many more in Southern California.

Attachments

• 11959335.jpg
    11959335.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 20
For re-creation, I used brand-new, straight out of bag two-rider tow rope used for water-skiing, Jet-skis, etc, boating. It did not kink up and knotted fairly easily, but I found it extremely difficult to do tidy knots as appeared in LE demo. Also, difficult to deal with that length of rope when knotting, and wrist bindings were equal, suggesting they were done first.

That is what I have always found with tow rope. It is 'stiffer' for lack of a nautical term, than the rope in the video appeared to be.

Thank you for trying this and letting us know the results!!

I still can't believe that this is a case of suicide, but the rope could have been measured by casting it off the second floor landing to the foyer floor. Wouldn't that have been very close to the same distance from the top of the balcony railing to the courtyard level? (top of the landing balcony railing should be about the same height as the balcony railing)

How to measure rope:
You tie the rope to the bed, then approach balcony(but don't step out) and toss it over. Run downstairs to lawn (vs tossed to 2nd partner in crime on lawn), stand on table or chair to cut rope. Use pieces of cut rope to tie feet/hands. Pull rope back up and hang yourself.
The only thing - how do you know not to stand on balcony and make footprints that would give you away? Unless, the boot print is the criminals vs LE boot print masked underlying shoe print.
Also, when rope pulled out, it would fall over rail onto balcony floor and make mark. Finally, someone may be very good with estimating and rope.

How to measure rope:
You tie the rope to the bed, then approach balcony(but don't step out) and toss it over. Run downstairs to lawn (vs tossed to 2nd partner in crime on lawn), stand on table or chair to cut rope. Use pieces of cut rope to tie feet/hands. Pull rope back up and hang yourself.
The only thing - how do you know not to stand on balcony and make footprints that would give you away? Unless, the boot print is the criminals vs LE boot print masked underlying shoe print.
Also, when rope pulled out, it would fall over rail onto balcony floor and make mark. Finally, someone may be very good with estimating and rope.

:floorlaugh: Thank you!! I needed to giggle about now!! Seriously sounds far fetched that someone would worry about foot prints on a balcony if they were foing to jump off said balcony to end their life.

Is there a floor plan of the entire house/courtyard property anywhere? I've been wondering if the guest room boasted the ONLY Juliet balcony on the entire mansion complex. Is it possible someone used a different balcony to do their calculations of rope length?

Is there a floor plan of the entire house/courtyard property anywhere? I've been wondering if the guest room boasted the ONLY Juliet balcony on the entire mansion complex. Is it possible someone used a different balcony to do their calculations of rope length?
Here are the plans, they were found by Arielilane early on, you will scroll down to page 337

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/docs/1291417976_640991.pdf

Here are the plans, they were found by Arielilane early on, you will scroll down to page 337

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/docs/1291417976_640991.pdf

Thank you. I have thoroughly examined the elevations and the floor plan. Looks like there were no other balconies on the property at all. So, that rules out that theory. I definitely feel like I know my way around now,

At one point, we websleuthers were discussing the possible connection to shibari, a Japanese style of sexual bondage. any more thoughts on that.

We were forbidden to discuss this particular topic since no msm articles suggested anything of the sort.

Has it ever been stated if the rope had been seen by anyone else before this tragedy?? Who purchased it? Since the home was so close to the water I am assuming it would be very common in that area.

Jonah said he didn't know if that rope was in the garage. LE said there was some smal spot on a shelf or something, in the garage, where something may have been (like the rope).

We were forbidden to discuss this particular topic since no msm articles suggested anything of the sort.

I think the only interest in this is that someone had knowledge of knots and probably bondage, whether they practiced it or not. I don't think this had anything to do with Rebecca or her intimate life. I hope this is not out of bounds in saying.

I think the only interest in this is that someone had knowledge of knots and probably bondage, whether they practiced it or not. I don't think this had anything to do with Rebecca or her intimate life. I hope this is not out of bounds in saying.

Adding to my own post because I did not elaborate. I think the knots could be nautical and not naughty (bondage)! But with the hands and feet both tied, gag, etc. makes it look like it a bondage scenario. Perhaps the nautical knots are used elsewhere though. However, a person with boat experience could know them for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500