The Talent show

Maybe they have been instructed by LE to be evasive about their answer to this particular question.

At about 9:47, the reporter asks if Kyron was supposed to be in the talent show:

Desiree: There's been some rumor that he was supposed to be in a talent show. I don't really know if that's credible. Yeah.

Kaine: Yeah we were, we didn't have any information to lead us to believe that initially, but we've heard some things since then, so we're not certain.

Just prior to this, Kaine is talking about how very enthusiastic Kyron is about school and everything related to school. He details the things Kyron is so enthusiastic about. He includes the science fair. He doesn't mention a talent show. Based on what Kaine says, if Kyron was going to be in a talent show, it seems that Kyron would have been enthusiastic about that too, and Kaine would have mentioned it along with the science fair. IDK.

Surely Kyron's teacher knows whether Kyron was due to be in the talent show.

I believed from the beginning that he wasn't going to actually be in the talent show but that the parent (in the article) was alluding to the fact that he wouldn't want to miss seeing it. The kids at schools who have these yearly talent shows really love them. My grandsons school does and it would break his heart to miss it. Early on I thought we were making too big a deal about the SM not coming back for the show.

It seems a little weird to me that the parents don't know if he was supposed to be in the talent show or not. I would think anything and everything in that day's timeline would be of interest to them and LE.

He was marked absent for the day and he was last reported seen at the school hours before the talent show. IMO, whether or not he was supposed to participate in the talent show in whatever way is irrelevant, cuz he wasn't there. I don't see how finding out what participation, if any, he was supposed to have in the talent show will help find Kyron.

JMHO.

Maybe it was just a casual fun thing. The talent show at Skyline last year was for anyone to participate in any kind of an under 2 minute talent. My kids would have most likely done something that I wouldn't want to see. Includes cupping their hand and an armpit or fitting their fist in their mouth.

Seriously, imo this was not a big show and was for fun.

I hope my elementary school never has a talent show. I just know my rising 1st grader would want to show off how good he is at making arm farts, cuz he's very proud of this "skill." :)

He was marked absent for the day and he was last reported seen at the school hours before the talent show. IMO, whether or not he was supposed to participate in the talent show in whatever way is irrelevant, cuz he wasn't there. I don't see how finding out what participation, if any, he was supposed to have in the talent show will help find Kyron.

JMHO.

:cow:

The key question is not whether Kyron was due in the talent show, but whether his class was due in the talent show.

The relevancy is that Kyron was enthusiastic about all his school activities. If his class was due to participate in the talent show, whether as audience or as performers, he would have known, he would have been excited, he would have talked about it.

I'm basing this on Kaine's comments in the raw video about Kyron's enthusiasm about all his school activities, down to the littlest things like riding the bus, as well as Kaine's comments about Kyron having talked with Kaine and been excited about the science fair, yet no apparent mention of the talent show, on the morning that Kyron disappeared.

If he was not going to participate, someone would have had to tell him, and then he would not have talked about it, or not have talked about it as much. And it seems that Kyron was not talking about, or preparing for, the talent show. Finding out who told him he would not be participating could be key to finding out what happened to him.

From the school's perspective, Kyron was absent, and so would not participate. From the parents' perspective, Kyron was not supposed to be absent, and so if Kyron's class was going to participate, then Kyron should have as well.

There's a reason Kyron wasn't talking about, and excited about, the talent show - either his class was not participating, or someone told Kyron he was not going to participate. Who told Kyron he wasn't going to participate, and when? Was it one or more of the parents? Was it school staff? Was it a stranger? Was it an adult peripherally involved in the school? Was it someone who promised a cool electricity project - or ice cream - or a trip to Sauvie Island - instead?

Mrs. Porter, was your class due to attend the talent show? As audience or performers?

Locals, parents, students, neighbors, friends, what did Kyron say about the talent show in the days leading up to his disappearance? What did Kyron's friends and classmates say about the talent show in the days leading up to Kyron's disappearance? Could be some good tips in here. Wish it had been on the questionnaire.

:cow:

This comes from a purely personal perspective from a mother of a seven year old boy who gets distracted and has some trouble listening to instructions and Kyron might be different but I wouldn't necessarily find it odd at all for the boy to have forgotten to tell his parents about the talent show, even if his class was going. My son likes it at school and is quite enthusiastic about the extra activities but it is quite easy for him to forget to mention something if the teacher didn't send a note home in writing (and she might not do it if the planned activity such as attending a talent show didn't require anything extra from the parents, beyond having the child show up at school at the normal time).

On the off-chance that the stepmom did anything to him it could be that Kyron told her about the talent show but she didn't tell anybody else because it didn't suit her plans to have family members attend, or something.

JMHO.

I think that it is important because his participation (IF he was to participate - we still don't know) looks like it was hidden from Kaine. Not likely the case, but one would think that it should be found out.

A talent show probably had tryouts to be in it,and probably for the whole school to watch.But,I can't see the whole school being in it,not even a whole class,just individuals with a talent to show the school.Kaine said he kissed Kyron goodbye that morning and told him he was proud of the work he had put into his science project.No mention of him being in the talent show.

http://skylineelementary.org/files/5_26_09issue.pdf

This was about thier school activities 2009 and about the talentshow...

Any Skyline student can sign up to share their talent during this entire week. Talent Show previews will be held in the gym during recess on Thursday and Friday. June 5th is the day of the talent show. Acts must sign up and have their act approved during the previews in order to perform in the show. We welcome any and all talents that are appropriate for K-8th grade students. Acts will be limited to 2 minutes or less in order to make sure we get through the talent show in a reasonable amount of time.

So,this would have been a big deal and the parents would more than likely know about it,since the kids had to sign up and have thier acts approved.Wouldn't the school have sent letters home to those involved in it?

Any Skyline student can sign up to share their talent during this entire week. Talent Show previews will be held in the gym during recess on Thursday and Friday. June 5th is the day of the talent show. Acts must sign up and have their act approved during the previews in order to perform in the show. We welcome any and all talents that are appropriate for K-8th grade students. Acts will be limited to 2 minutes or less in order to make sure we get through the talent show in a reasonable amount of time.

So,this would have been a big deal and the parents would more than likely know about it,since the kids had to sign up and have thier acts approved.Wouldn't the school have sent letters home to those involved in it?

I can speak to this a bit since we also have a talent show at our school. My daughter had spoken to several of her friends about doing different things together. For whatever reason, their "plans" didn't come together. I think my daughter just backed out because she started getting nervous. She didn't mention to me that she had even considered the talent show until after it was over. She initially told me she didn't want to be involved. I had no idea she had been talking about it with her friends prior to that. So maybe Kyron and his buddies were talking about it but never followed through. Another parent might have "thought" he was going to be in it because their child told them Kyron was doing something with them. There are no permission slips sent home from our school for the talent show. They only have to be reviewed by the Principal in order to participate. Parents might not know their kid signed up. Just another idea....

6610sign.jpg

FWIW, the school calendar says "2 p.m." and when you click on the link, it has 1-2 p.m. but the sign above says 1-2:45 p.m.

Three weeks ago Fri, Jun 4
2:00pm Talent Show

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

And then when you click on the Talent Show link:

Talent Show
When
Fri Jun 4 1pm – 2pm Pacific Time

Source

Would the school put up a sign advertizing events that are strictly for students and not intended for family participation?

I think if Kyron was suppose to have been in the talent show his family would have known about it.
He was 7 and the other child was 9, so perhaps the 9 yr old's mother was just assuming he was in it.

I wonder if Kyron was suppose to have been in the talent show, why they didn't wonder about his absence at that time as well. Surely they wouldn't think he signed up for something then went to an appointment on such a big day??

That whole day makes no sense to me at all. Adults make no sense to me on that day at all!

Quite obviously this was not a mandatory talent show, NOR was it a talent show that had full class participation. Students had to sign up individually, plan to perform for 2 minutes or less, and had to pass previews as well as practice during their recesses on Thursday and Friday... before the show on the 4th.

It would appear that since the biodad said Kyron talked about all the things he was excited about in school, that he would have mentioned being in the talent show. Since he was described as a timid, shy boy, and he would have had to have thought of an act, practiced it at home, etc.- it seems really obvious that the answer is NO, he was never even scheduled to be in the show because he didn't even try out for it.

Children at age 7 do not secretly sign themselves up for talent shows featuring talents their parents don't know they have, either by themselves or with friends, especially without practicing. That school was not the NY school of the performing arts where everybody wants to be performing onstage constantly, or the FAME school, eh?

If he'd been very excited about watching other students perform, he'd have mentioned it to biodad, and since biodad was home that afternoon, he'd have probably attended as well.

I don't recall my children or their classmates ever being wildly excited about being in their talent shows, and those were the ones they were forced to participate in. Those shows seemed more like they were for the parents than for the kids. There have been other talent shows where they had to sign up and try out, and I never heard anything about those because my kids were not interested in them, were not going to be in them, therefore there was no reason for me to attend.

Since it was during school hours, most likely Kyron was expected to be there to WATCH. Parents of children who were not performing would have no reason to be there.

It makes perfect sense that the parents seemed confused. Yes, it's obvious that there was an in-school talent show that day, that unless there was a way to opt out, go to recess or a classroom, Kyron was expected to WATCH. Him not being there says nothing about the parents- and since the teacher marked him absent, his absence in the audience didn't attract attention. The biodad's and biomom's reference to 'rumour' regarding the talent show was not about whether there was one, but about Kyron being expected to perform in it, and about the parents expected to be watching. The 'rumours' most like referenced being on blogs and websites where people keep repeating that he and his parents were supposed to be there, when he was not.

Seems simple to me. Yes, there was a talent show. No, Kyron had not auditioned for it, nor was he expected to be performing in it. The parents were not supposed to have attended just to watch him sit in the audience. The reports of him supposed to have been there are simply rumours that people on blogs and websites have been circulating due to one parent's misfortunate comment about not seeing him there in the audience.

Just my thoughts.

Snipped from school webiste=
"Acts must sign up and have their act approved during the previews in order to perform in the show."

I think if Kyron was suppose to have been in the talent show his family would have known about it. He was 7 and the other child was 9, so perhaps the 9 yr old's mother was just assuming he was in it.

I wonder if Kyron was suppose to have been in the talent show, why they didn't wonder about his absence at that time as well. Surely they wouldn't think he signed up for something then went to an appointment on such a big day??

That whole day makes no sense to me at all. Adults make no sense to me on that day at all!

BBM. Hopefully, at some point in the investigation we will learn more about the Talent Show, if Kyron was supposed to participate, and what his role might have been. Maybe he was part of a class ensemble that was in the show, so that could be the reason that the mother assumed that Kyron was involved.

The other thing that bothered me about "the whole day" is that no one noticed that Kyron didn't have lunch at school. If there's a lunchroom, wouldn't there be cafeteria staff and/or "lunch ladies" who would have noticed that Kyron wasn't there on Friday? Even in larger elementary schools, lunch staff generally know all of the students - especially by the end of the year. jmo

Assuming the 'drill' for this year's talent show was the same, maybe this is where the "noisy, crowded gym" idea came from.

Sounds like it may have been a totally voluntary event and from what we have been told about Kyron, he would not be likely to have been participating. I think this has gotten way too much emphasis.

Would the school put up a sign advertizing events that are strictly for students and not intended for family participation?

My local elementary school does. Reading Day, Math Challenge, Geography Trivia, Multicultural Lunch Day (each month has a lunch day that is a different culture), etc, are some of the ones I recall seeing in the last year.

None of those activities are open to families or the public. I assume they put them on the sign in front of the school to help get the kids excited about them.

Thank you for finding this.

Maybe Kyron's act did not make it to the second round, and was not approved during the previews?

It seems to me that there was plenty of opportunity for Kyron to be missed and for someone in charge to inquire where he was, but that whoever took him benefited from the (lack of) school policy.

a 9 yo testified @ GJ last week, confirms he was to perform with Kyron at the talent show, but never saw Kyron at school that day...

KOIN news at 6, no link yet

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname