The Victims of the Colorado Shooting

Aug. 3, 2012, 6:56 PM EST

Jacqueline Keavney Lader and Don Lader were in the Century 16 theater watching 'The Dark Knight Rises' when James Holmes allegedly killed 12 people. The former Marines talk about going back to see the movie to make sure the gunman did not win.

More at link:
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=748453

Assumed the victims thread would be the most appropriate thread to post the following details of the victims that I read earlier today in the People magazine featuring the article about the mass murder and IMO they succeeded in doing a great job in focusing more so on the victims, recognizing them each by name and attempting to better flesh out and humanize that list of 12 people whose lives were taken that night..*

Just a few tidbits that I'd not seen reported or known prior to reading it in this particular People issue(and that's definitely not saying that others may not already be aware of these details below..
Stephen Barton, 22(survived)
Stephen and a friend were cross country biking and just by chance happened upon Aurora, CO on July 19 and the friends decided to stay over night and attend the midnight premiere of TDKR.. Stephen was shot in the neck in theater 9.. But however is one of the lucky ones to survive that night with his life..*
Stephen states that during the previews is when he first caught sight of who he'd later learn was Alex Sullivan.. Stephen says that Sullivan was so full of life and having an absolute blast amongst friends watching the previews that led up to TDKR..

Alex Sullivan, 27.. Christine Blache, 29(survived)
One of those friends that was in the large group of friends with Alex Sullivan was Iraq war veteran Christina Blache, 29..
She says that as they all sat amongst one another about 10 rows up from the screen that not a one of them even had a clue that it was their friend, Alex's bday who'd invited everyone to join him for the premiere..according to Blache that's just exactly what type of modest guy that Alex was..

Blache says that a few minutes into the film that she heard a noise that she described as exactly sounding like the "whizzing" noise that is made when sailing a paper airplane thru the air.. Except this was no paper airplane.. These were real bullets that were whizzing by so close she could feel the wind/air as they grazed past.. Amongst the carnage she literally watched with her very own eyes those around her being hit with the bullets and shrapnel.. She felt her knee explode and looked down to see her leg profusely bleeding before even comprehending that she'd *been shot suddenly so too does she feel an explosion in her other knee area looking down and shocked at seeing the amount of blood coming from her legs..

She began to really look around and it began to set in the horrors of reality as she looked over and saw the man that just mere moments prior was the loud, gregarious, and full of life friend, Alex Sullivan.. She looked at him now mere moments later as he lay there on the floor of that theater face down, with massive blood loss coming from his head..

Rebecca Wingo, 32
She was an Air Force veteran, a single and very determined mother originally from Texas..she'd just landed herself the job she'd been working toward getting and was looking forward to shopping to buy herself a new wardrobe to start at this new job..*

In theater 9 that night Rebecca was almost one of the ones to survive.. In fact Rebecca had carefully made her all the way to the exit and remained unharmed.. Just as Rebecca reached the exit the shooter targeted her and in that blink of an eye shot her both in the chest and the head.. She was mere milleseconds from surviving..

AJ Boik, 18
AJ and his girlfriend along with six other friends all were seated on that very front row, dead center in front of the movie screen.. AJ suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the chest..

Alex Teves, 24 Amanda Lindgren, 24(survived due to Alex shielding her from bullets and thereby his paying with his life)

Published August 04, 2012

RENO, Nev. – A Navy veteran who died after throwing himself in front of a friend during the Colorado movie theater shooting was remembered Friday for his fearlessness and optimism.

"Law enforcement is leaning toward he was trying to get the (suspect's) gun to save people's lives," said Roland Lackey, an Air Force veteran who officiated the service. "He was a hero, and I salute him."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/0...assacre-may-have-tried-to-stop/#ixzz22lm3w8Fz

Tweeted by John Ingold‏, Denver Post courts and crime reporter
https://twitter.com/john_ingold

Judge also said contact info for #theatershooting victims can be given to the Colorado Organization for Victim's Assistance if victims OK it

That organization would then start figuring out how to distribute the $4 million donated to aid #theatershooting victims.

"There are many victims who may be incapacitated or have lost family members and are in very dire financial straits." Prosecutor Rich Orman.

A letter from Zack Golditch

July 20, 2012, was a day that will be remembered forever in history.
Right here in my backyard, 58 people were injured and 12 innocent lives were taken by the carelessness of one man. And not in a million years would I have thought that I would be one of those 58 injured people. But I was.
I was shot on the left side of my neck, and my life changed forever. Who knows where to go when something like this happens?
I went straight to practice the next day. That's where I wanted to be and needed to be the most. With my senior year coming to a start and a highly anticipated football season at hand, I had to move on.
It was tough; with the flashbacks, constant publicity and newly changed identity, I was put into a position where most would crumble and give up.
I was a leader and a fighter; the Gateway Olympians program made me into that. It's all mental, and getting back to football and school as well as great support from the community really eased the stress.
I could go on and on about how I overcame this tragedy, but the one thing that got me through this was just acceptance. Accepting the fact that I had been shot and there was nothing I could do to change it, nothing I could say that would change that.
There is a scar on my neck forever, but that does not define who I am, nor will it ever.
I am a Division I football scholar student-athlete to Colorado State University, a two-time state champion in the discus as well as many more titles in athletics. I am an honor roll student and a member of Gateway Student Council. These are the things that represent who I am, and what I have worked so hard to have the honor to say I have accomplished.
Most important, I am an Olympian; they have raised me and turned me into the person I am today. I am a survivor and I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I plan to make the most of it, and not let anything especially the events of July 20 stop me from going where I want to go and being who I want to be.
"It's not about how many times you get knocked down. It's how many times you get back up."

Read more: An open letter from Zack Golditch - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_23469773/an-open-letter-from-zack-golditch#ixzz2YG2mgrCP

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back