Theory #1: Stranger Abduction by the "Couple in the Car"

I meant to say I am looking for a 1972 phone directory for Seattle, Washington altho it could be listed in a later book.

SherlockJr said:
Another idea Kyresearcher, you and I can leave KY and pull a Thelma and Louise and go cross country ourselves.
Ha Ha, neither one of them has white hair, so who would I be?

kyresearcher said:
I meant to say I am looking for a 1972 phone directory for Seattle, Washington altho it could be listed in a later book.
How about contacting the phone company directly. Maybe they keep old copies of the phone directories. I was trying to help find you one and came across this site http://www.bcgs.ca/TEL_DIR.htm#Miscellaneous%20Directories%20(%20United%20States%20)

Directories held at The British Columbia Genealogical Society's Resource Centre in Surrey, B.C. Canada
They listed several in both Canada and USA including:
Seattle, Washington1980-1981, 1982, 1993-1994

Maybe check with other Genealogical Society's in the Seattle area, maybe they would have what you are looking for.

[Quoted from page 1]When we got the dog settled down she made small talk and addressed Anna primarily - I believe . I answered for her but she continued to address Anna with small talk and questions - do you live here?, where do you go to school?, do you walk down the road often? at that point she asked if she wanted her (us - I can't remember) to ride to the end of the road with her.

Does anyone recall where Saturn was when Anna disappeared? Sounds like if Saturn would go crazy when a car stopped on the road while they were walking, he/she would have been barking if a stranger entered the yard. Would Saturn bark at anyone?

[again quoted from page 1] ...a woman wearing a loose fitting white shirt with embroidery on it and long dark hair opened up the back door. She spoke to us from within the car...

Annasbro, can you try to guess the age of this woman? Do you remember any accent when she spoke?

SherlockJr said:
[Quoted from page 1]When we got the dog settled down she made small talk and addressed Anna primarily - I believe . I answered for her but she continued to address Anna with small talk and questions - do you live here?, where do you go to school?, do you walk down the road often? at that point she asked if she wanted her (us - I can't remember) to ride to the end of the road with her.

Does anyone recall where Saturn was when Anna disappeared? Sounds like if Saturn would go crazy when a car stopped on the road while they were walking, he/she would have been barking if a stranger entered the yard. Would Saturn bark at anyone?
Saturn was a very young dog and definitely not a watch dog (he once let a female dog into the chicken yard, where she feasted on our laying hens.) To my recollection, he was in the back yard when Anna disappeared, though when we started looking for her, he followed us back and forth.

Annasmom said:
Saturn was a very young dog and definitely not a watch dog (he once let a female dog into the chicken yard, where she feasted on our laying hens.) To my recollection, he was in the back yard when Anna disappeared, though when we started looking for her, he followed us back and forth.
My guess would be Anna was taken from the front yard and was not in Saturn's sight. It was mentioned she may have gone up to get the mail. Do you remember if you had any mail that day? Could she have gotten the mail and then taken afterwards? Would Anna normally go fetch the mail?

SherlockJr said:
My guess would be Anna was taken from the front yard and was not in Saturn's sight. It was mentioned she may have gone up to get the mail. Do you remember if you had any mail that day? Could she have gotten the mail and then taken afterwards? Would Anna normally go fetch the mail?
Yes, we are thinking that Anna saw our neighbor (who was visiting in the house) opening her mail from the previous day and thought the mail had come (it had not), went out the back door, around to the front, up the road, and may have been taken from there. The mail deliverer came after Anna had disappeared, and she assured us that she had followed her regular route, over Higgins Canyon road, on to Purisima Creek Road. (Some people questioned whether this road would have been open due to the storms.) If, as we speculate, an abductor was watching the house and continued driving the shorter lap of the road to the Coast Highway, the mail woman would not have seen the vehicle. I drove over the road myself only a few days ago and could see the farm from many wooded places along the way. Yes, Anna often went up to the mailbox to get the mail.

We are attempting to verify corraborating evidence that this tip is legitimate, but we have a report that Anna was seen and spoken to by a woman in 1976. The information that we received corresponds with the theory of Anna being abducted by a childless couple who sought a daughter.

There are many aspects of this new tip that require verification that we are attempting to do, so I am holding back any additional details until we have a better feel about the truthfulness of the lead. I do not want to send everyone out "chasing gooses" when this could be a hoax or a fraud. Once (and if) we qualify this legit, all of the details will be posted for your assistance in following up.

Needless to say, if this does turn out to legit, this is the break that we have been praying for.

Dr. Doogie said:
We are attempting to verify corraborating evidence that this tip is legitimate, but we have a report that Anna was seen and spoken to by a woman in 1976. The information that we received corresponds with the theory of Anna being abducted by a childless couple who sought a daughter.

There are many aspects of this new tip that require verification that we are attempting to do, so I am holding back any additional details until we have a better feel about the truthfulness of the lead. I do not want to send everyone out "chasing gooses" when this could be a hoax or a fraud. Once (and if) we qualify this legit, all of the details will be posted for your assistance in following up.

Needless to say, if this does turn out to legit, this is the break that we have been praying for.

Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes. I know I know its too early to say but I am soooo hoping that this is true.

Did the person who gave you the info say where they saw her? How did they 'remember' it was actually 1976?

Dr. Doogie said:

I'm burning the candles on both ends for Anna. Our prayers are with Anna's family at this time.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=1786817

I know you can't tell us much but can you tell us who was contacted and when?

Is this a new tip or something that was just discovered from old notes?
Everybody reading here that prays, let's ALL pray that this will lead us to our Anna. It's time for her to come home.

Doogie, I'm back at work. You know how to contact me if you need to.

this is really good news hopefully the tip pans into something and not a person mistaking someone looking like her.

I received a phone call Tuesday evening from a resident of the Half Moon Bay area. She identified herself by name and also gave a phone number and a description of where she lives.

She stated that in 1976 when she was 17 years old, she was visited by a man and an 8 year old girl at her house. The woman's father owned several "low-income" rental properties in San Mateo county and she believes that this man was a tenant and there to pay his rent. The father was not there, so she engaged the man and child in conversation.

When the man was in another room, the girl identified herself as "Anna" and that the man was not her father. Anna stated that the man had taken her because his wife couldn't have children and she wanted a daughter. Anna asked the teenager to "Tell my mother that I am okay", but didn't want to do anything that would get her new parents in trouble. Anna's hair had been died dark brown.

When the man returned to the room, he realized what had been discussed and stated that he didn't want to "live the rest of his life in a cage". The teenager interpeted this as a veiled threat to keep quiet about what she had heard. As the man and Anna were leaving, the teen told the man that "You are in your forties - you're old enough to know better than to do this!". The man stopped, turned to her and replied, "I am forty-seven." She described him as stocky, about 5' 8" or taller with light brown short hair. She stated that he was a construction worker and that Anna referred to him as "Bill".

There are several parts of this story that seem fantastic, but this case has some parts that are fantastic that are also true. As a result, I am employing the old Ronald Reagan adage: "Trust, but verify". We have been able to establish that the phone number that she gave is hers and is in the area the matches up with area that she said she lived in. It also seems that her name is true also. The fact that she has given her real name and number to me increases the believability of the rest of the story.

If this new info is true, that means that Anna was alive three years after her disappearance. She would have been living in eastern San Mateo county (San Mateo or Redwood City?) and possibly attending public schools there. Her abductor would most likely have been employed in construction in the same area.

If we can establish that more of her story proves true, then we may have enough to get LE involvement. There remains the possibility that this new information is a hoax or the sincere beliefs by a deluded person. But there is also the possibility that it is the truth and that we have the outline of what happened to Anna and a direction to finding her alive.

One additional bit of information: It dawned on me that the woman's father who had the rental properties may have been able to identify the abductor from the woman's description, but she stated that he was quite old now and has Alzheimers, so any information that he might supply would be questionable. What I have not established yet is if any rental records from 1976 are available that would narrow our search down to a handful of possible suspects - I will try and establish this the next time I speak to her.

Did this woman come forward after the newspaper article? Did she say that she had read about Anna?

I hope that this is legit and not just one of those people who sometimes "remember" something after a story appears in the media.

I will be anxiously awaiting more details and pray that this is true.

Shadow205 said:
Did this woman come forward after the newspaper article? Did she say that she had read about Anna?
She called as a result of the article. She stated that she was unfamiliar with Anna's disappearance prior to getting the visit from Anna and the man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back