Threadiquette & Forum Rules Updates ~ Ask Your Questions Here

*raises hand*

Is it acceptable to link to a specific nono from this thread if it is done nicely and with respect to the poster? I know you guys are getting tired of alerts.

*waits patiently for answer*

*raises hand*

Is it acceptable to link to a specific nono from this thread if it is done nicely and with respect to the poster? I know you guys are getting tired of alerts.

*waits patiently for answer*

We cannot read every post and so if you can link to a situation and help your fellow member politely, please feel free. :)

Just a note for folks starting threads - instead of "today" or other ephemeral time stamps on your thread titles, if we be clear about dates and such that would be a big help - particularly when starting threads about specific player actions or show coverage, etc. This case might go on for a long, long time, and this forum will someday be something of an archive, so being clear about dates in the thread titles will be appreciated in the future. TIA!

(And, yes, I am anal. I have the soul of a file clerk.)

Guidelines regarding discussions about Harry O's searches: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108162"]Discussion about Harry Oaks Search for Kyron - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.
I know this may be beating a dead horse, but would it be appropriate to
post a picture that has been widely published ( not of a minor) and discuss the
body language?
Oh and can we send the mods flowers?:angel:

Please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.
I know this may be beating a dead horse, but would it be appropriate to
post a picture that has been widely published ( not of a minor) and discuss the
body language?
Oh and can we send the mods flowers?:angel:

Widely published as in MSM? Yes, you can. Be sure you still provide a link as to where you got the picture for copyright purposes.

Are we allowed to quote a comment left on a news website? If not, can we speak directly about that comment?

Are we allowed to quote a comment left on a news website? If not, can we speak directly about that comment?

You may link to where the comment is located and say "look at the comment posted at" a certain time and discuss from there.

This question is not thread specific (re: Kyron) but rather a general question about Websleuths and the way it is structured.

What are the criteria for being able to access the "private" areas of the board. Is there a length of time you must have been a member or a certain number of posts you must have posted? I have seen the private areas referenced but do not know where they are or even if I can visit them.

TIA

This question is not thread specific (re: Kyron) but rather a general question about Websleuths and the way it is structured.

What are the criteria for being able to access the "private" areas of the board. Is there a length of time you must have been a member or a certain number of posts you must have posted? I have seen the private areas referenced but do not know where they are or even if I can visit them.

TIA

Here is a link to the Private Forums: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

IIRC, there was a time where you had to have been a member for a period of time before you had access. That is no longer the case. :) As long as you are a registered member of Websleuths, you can access the private forum area.

do'h

I have already been accessing them! I guess the lack of a velvet rope confused me ;)

Kaine is off limits for sleuthing but not for discussing his behavior.

We sleuth case players all the time. What we do differently is we do not allow sleuthing of just anyone and we do not allow personal info to be posted that is not in any sense related to the case.

Be sure that information you provide in your posts can be backed up with MSM links. We are not allowed to bash or make wild assumptions about this family. They deserve the benefit of the doubt that they are grieving about Kyron more than any one of us.

Two new things:

1) We are not sleuthing the private life of the landscaper

2) We are no longer allowing the use of the Kyron Horum FB as a source. The site has dwindled to unsubstantiated rumors and that's not how we roll on Websleuths.

Have a great 4th everyone!

We are now allowing more in depth information about Terri to be discussed on the boards. As TY said in today's presser "connect the dots". Close enough.

We may not:

-sleuth her family members
-make up rumors
-call her names, bash her or make fun of her (watch the squirrel comments, for example)

We may:

-discuss her past
-discuss her body language/psych from what we've observed
-speculate why we think she may/may not have done something to Kyron (which hasn't changed, really)

If you have questions, let us know!

Is this the right area to ask this--what does BBM stand for? Thanks! :)

Is this the right area to ask this--what does BBM stand for? Thanks! :)

It means "bolded by me" - it's used when a poster quotes another post or from an article and puts something in bold for emphasis.

This thread (on WS lingo) might be useful for new posters:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84535"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I spent a while searching for this in the "Forum Finesse" section, but it is actually housed in the Jury Room section... Not sure why. :waitasec:

HTH!

Yes, we can. We usually use initials for easier posting.

What about those who can't be here long enough to be on first name basis with people in each news story? I use step-Mom and mean nothing cynical or malicious whatsoever with it. If not for being sick home from work I wouldn't have time to listen to news long enough to learn this woman's name. Nor the inclincation to sit at my computer 2 minutes to read any news and that's the plain truth. Are we still okay to get to join the discussion when we're able to, which is blessed little.

Aren't terms radio & tv news reporters use permissible for us? I can't study before posting about each news story or follow them.

good question. If the old timers want to politely let the newbies know when they have broken one of the mechanical type rules as we are talking about here,(copyright, linking to "bad sites,etc) then that is helpful. But when it gets into admonishing one another then it gets a little annoying. It is bad enough to have mods breathing down your neck, but throw a few hundred posters on that and it is a little much.

If you see that one older poster has let someone know that they broken one of the fluid, mechanical-procedural type rules we probably don't need 10 people telling that person as well.

BIG BIG Exception to this is if you see rude,OT, namecalling, hostile,trollish,attacking,argumentative type rule breaking. Those types of a posts should be alerted on (little triangle in the top right corner of each post) and not addressed in any way at all by other members. Those are vacationing type posts and you should alert, ignore and scroll right by. If you tell someone you are going to ignore them or that they are being rude or otherwise attack them back , you may find yourself on a no expenses paid vacation as well.

Does that help?

ETA: Regarding alerts. The alerts go to the moderators mailboxes. They are not online all the time. So, if time goes by and the offensive post is not acted upon, it may be because no one has been online to look at it yet. please don't threaten us in the alert text box about what you will do if we don't do what you want immediately; and don't alert on the same post over and over. We all volunteer and do the best we can. :) thanks.

bolding mine>

I can't always tell if someone's baiting so with one post I try my best to reply in a sincere manner. If it turns out the person IS baiting for it's own sake they see this as buffoonish on my part, naive if you will and are at it all the more. I've been banned from other cites for alerting a mod so I'm loathe to do that. Will I be banned for trying to answer courteously and sincere? Sometimes it does take more than one or a couple posts to try to guess someone's purpose.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back