Threadiquette & Forum Rules Updates ~ Ask Your Questions Here

I think that when there are a lot of rumors and bashing..etc. going on it's difficult for the mods to go through all of the posts and delete each individual one so that's why the whole thread gets shut down or removed. At least for me, I never go through all of the posts when trying to keep up with new info because it's impossible to take the time to do so. I understand how you feel though :smile:

I was a mod at an extremely active fansite for nearly 5 years.... unfortunately that kind of weeding often took place and we only deleted a thread when the thread itself was offensive or violated the guidelines, so as not to eliminate important links and/or other info such as dates of events, etc. I realize it can be time consuming and annoying as hell... but to just wipe out all that information / and entire discourses is horrid.

My 2 cents... not that it matters, obviously... I'm just really annoyed by it at the moment.

are you sure the thread was not placed in the parking lot? you might want to check there. I only know of one thread that was has been shut down and that was Madaline's (still don't know why we dont have that one back)
The mods here volunteer thier time, its not a paid job. The rules are posted EVERYWHERE and when a thread starts getting off track the mods do come in a give several warnings, they spend countless hours going through these threads but as they have said before, they are not babysitters nor editors and they shouldn't have to be, we are all adults, who should be able to follow the rules. However when people continuosly break the rules they have no choice but to remove the posts or if a group of people are participating in the breaking of the rules they close the thread or move it to the parking lot.
Not trying to step on anyones toes here, just thought I'd let ya know the way things work here

Not sure if its been moved to the parking lot.. I only know it says "moved" and when I click on it I receive a "you are not authorized" message. I can certainly sympathize with the amount of time it takes to review a thread to delete messages (especially when others quote the offending posts). Our policy was to lock a thread and post "thread under review" until such time as it could be cleansed (usually Sat. and Sun. when there was less traffic) and, if necessary put the blatant offenders on t/o. Deleting entire threads tends to alienate and/or discourage posters, something the artist we were unofficially promoting online would not have appreciated at all.

LMAO.... do Mods get paid?? I want a gig like that cause they certainly earn the money if they do.

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely disconcerting / frustrating when entire threads get moved and become inaccessible. This happened a few times with the Casey threads and then again with the Shaniya threads. I turned to lurking because it's horribly frustrating (when participating in a discussion) to find the thread ripped away removing important exchange of ideas / info along with whatever material was/is deemed inappropriate. Wouldn't it be better to just purge the offending posts rather than invalidating the exchanges or, worse yet, leaving one with the feeling that they may have offended, although not knowing how. It really does discourage one from participating. Why bother to start / join in a conversation if its only going to be removed (for whatever reason) unless one has a photographic memory and has committed every earlier comment to memory and/or really doesn't give a hoot what others' as yet unseen opinions, ideas, responses may have been.

I don't mean to grouse, but isn't there a way to delete unwanted posts without punishing everyone?

The last thing we want to do is pull a thread and end a discussion. Doing that does nothing to help Websleuths or its members in any way.

There are times when there is so much back and forth that is a violation of our terms of service or close to a violation that the only way to deal with it is to pull the thread and then when a moderator has the time go through it post by post they can put it back after it is cleaned up.

Keep in mind none of this would happen if people stayed on topic and kept within the boundaries of TOS.

Our moderators are all volunteer. We have over 5 million posts. You should see the alerts we get in one single day.

What I am trying to tell you is because a thread can become so time consuming with its problems the only way (at times) to get it back under control is to remove it and work on it when the moderator has an hour or two or more.

We could loosen the rules and let a lot of posts stand that we normally wouldn't but then what will happen is people will not want to post because we allow nasty posts to stand or posts that violate TOS will make people feel uncomfortable.

It is a fine line we walk. We will never please everyone but I can say honestly we do our best.

Thanks,
Tricia

I don't envy your job. Thanks, Tricia, for offering us this great place to exchange our thoughts and feelings about these terrible crimes. It helps me a lot to know there are others who feel the way I do about them.

IS there some way, though, to post a sticky or something when a thread has been removed? I don't even know if I am asking the right question. Does the format of this board allow some way to notify us so we paranoid types don't think we have been banned?

Tricia: Thanks for taking the time to respond. As I said earlier, I've been a mod (unpaid BTW) at a popular site and I truly appreciate what it entails and how frustrating it can be for you guys. Additionally, I have been lurking since the Shaniyah delete which discouraged me from participating for some time (that case crushed and haunted me). Because I've been lurking for so long, didn't want to participate if I would compromise the discussion in any way (but was unsure) I specifically wrote the following:
The oddest comment was made on OregonLive.com's coverage regarding TH's friends. I hesitated putting the link here (so mods please removed if inappropriate). The question it raised for me is the following: Is there a Houseboat involved somehow in all of this. Has LE conducted a search there (and if so, did they send divers to look underneath it)?? I usually ignore commentors like this one and don't give them much credence, but for, some reason, this one struck a nerve.

Lo and behold the thread was moved (although I see it has now been restored and locked)

I do appreciate the site itself and all that you do to maintain it. Its not my intention to be a problem child or complain unnecessarily and I did so try to be in compliance, but perhaps its best that I go back to lurking and keep my participation to a minimum.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

Please know that the mods do want to hear from our members when they have concerns. We are not here 24/7. The alert button is a great tool because it doesn't put a "black mark" on anyone and we can go right to the post or thread in question.

If a thread is gone and you'd like to know why, it doesn't have to be a secret! We are more than open to explain. Just send us a private message or a visitor message and ask where it went, what happened, and if it will return. We want to work with everyone as much as possible and we do care about our members very much. :grouphug:

Please know that if we don't get back to you right away it is because we are either working on another issue or we aren't on the forum.

Posts about DS's cousin go in the private forum: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110074"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Do not post about it in the public forum. Period.

And the rumors about TH and DS better be linked to an allowed site. The warnings on the threads aren't working. No more warnings now!!!

This is an old post from our administrator, . It is still relevant.

I have never understood the concept of being afraid to voice an opinion, especially here on a discussion board. I cannot answer for all boards as this is the only crime discussion board I'm a member of where I'm also privy to the behind the scenes stuff, but I can state categorically that nobody has ever been banned from posting here based on their opinion. People certainly HAVE been banned for the manner in which they express themselves, and we will continue to do that no matter what side they pick, if any. If you come on here and call the members who disagree with you a mob of koolaid-drinking sheep who just want to be in the majority, and when told to not do it you respond that you have the absolute right to post that way because you are right and everyone else is wrong, you're going to get the boot and your point of view has nothing to do with it.

From a logical standpoint the number of people that hold a particular view is totally irrelevant to the process used to substantiate that view. With that in mind, [an example is] if someone were to come on here and try to argue that Casey is innocent because Caylee never existed and was just a figment of everyone's imagination, they would be immediately challenged with the ample evidence of Caylee's existence. So that fact that a post is challenged does not automatically mean that the challenge is invalid. Nor does it mean the theory posted is invalid.

In my professional live I live in a world where, on a regular basis, people from outside come in to look at my work and question what I am doing, so I am used to justifying my decisions and actions without taking offense. I'm not an attorney, but I've paid a few attorney bills in my time and I understand the adversarial system - you've got to either be able to back up your position to the trier of fact OR convince your opponent that they will not prevail if they push it if you think can't back it up. Like poker. The same thing works here on the board - if you feel strongly about your position, post it and defend it. You may be right.

The moderators here are not in a position to pad the world's corners for the meek. We are all known here only by a random name we have chosen unless we chose to reveal more about ourselves. Anyone here can take a position they feel is true and back it up with facts and passion as long as the TOS is followed - which in general is that you give others the respect that you would expect to receive.

People leave this board every day. People join this board every day. There are lots of crime discussion sites out there, and if someone feels they can only express themselves through profanity, belittling and insult there are lots of places where they can do that. .

There are a lot of people posting here who have been touched by crime. Some talk about it openly, some I just know about from private conversations. This board is biased, and it's no secret - it's in the mission statement. We are here for the victims, the innocents, the ones who have been hurt by the evil that is criminal behavior. The anger you will see expressed on these pages against players such as criminal defense attorneys is based on the knowledge that, in our system, they can consider their day a success if an individual that actually committed the criminal acts with which they have been charged is found "not guilty" because they can pick apart the efforts of the police. But that's how our system works, and if I was ever unjustly accused I'd want to be afforded the best opportunity possible to clear my name.

I hold my fellow posters in very high esteem. It pains me when they attack each other. I don't care if they attack me, I'm tough and I can take it. But before anyone launches an insult at a fellow poster, realize what that really means - it means you don't think you are able to argue your point, so maybe you would be better served reflecting on your position and the weaknesses in it.

REFERENCE FORUM: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=411"]Kyron Horman Reference Forum - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

We've had to move some Sticky threads to our reference forum so that people can see the topics in the main forum more easily.

PLEASE MAKE SURE you are familiar with the reference forum! It will help you as you sleuth this case! :grouphug:

When I try to use the Search this Form function I get the message "You do not have permission to access this page." I was trying to locate an old, exceptionally good post from an experienced SAR volunteer. Is the search function blocked, or am I doing something wrong ...?

Thanks

When I try to use the Search this Form function I get the message "You do not have permission to access this page." I was trying to locate an old, exceptionally good post from an experienced SAR volunteer. Is the search function blocked, or am I doing something wrong ...?

Thanks

The search feature and the PM feature do not kick in until you've made a few more posts. I think it's either 20 or 30 posts that are required. :)

Often I find myself participating in several diferent threads pertaining to one case. One poster will post something OT to that specific thread or that should be in another, related thread. Others, including me, will start posting our responses to that original OT post and pretty some the thread is a nightmare for mods to clean up.

I would like to move my posts to the appropriate thread but am wondering if there is an easy way to accomplish that through the edit feature. Or is the only way to move OT posts from one thread to another by using the old cut paste method? TYIA

This case is just as with all of the other cases we sleuth here at WS. We have to wait for the trial and evidence to be presented and the crimes to be tried before we can say with certainty.

There is however this little issue of sleuthing in which we take MSM accounts about the parties involved, and we make our own personal decisions about whether we feel it is credible or not.

I use the Haleigh Cummings case as an example. There is no tried and proven in court evidence, to prove any one of the parties involved did anything. But there are strong personal convictions about who is involved in her disappearance, based on their alleged activities and actions over the course of time.

I liken this case to that one because of the silence of LE unlike in the Caylee case. PC said very little to confirm anything, and so far LE here have said little about the investigation.

It doesn't mean these matters as alleged haven't happened. It just means they haven't been tried or met the burden of proof in a court of law.

In that WS isn't a court of law, and we have established criteria here to be followed, we discuss information from MSM as it occurs. We then use it to form our own opinions based on our own reasoning and life experiences. This forum is no different than any other on Websleuths.

Actually, the easiest way is to alert a mod. We have a move post function that members do not have and can move the posts over. It really helps when you can let us know which thread is a better fit too because we get busy and it takes time to look around.

We have added another mod to help in Kyron's forum! Please welcome Daisy7! She is also a mod in the Billings case and the Bully forum.

Thank you for helping us, Daisy7! :blowkiss:

Just an FYI

I have to tell you that I am extremely happy with this site because of your rules.

People must be respectful of each other, even tho we may disagree vehemently with each other on occassions. When we are, we must post with respect to avoid a TO.

We must stay on task because of the title of the thread.

I've seen sites with much cussing, belly aching, and insults to posters. Those sites, well, people get way off track and it just gets into a cursing and insulting war. It's like the topic is put aside for personal insults against each other.

So, basically, I like this site a lot because of the mutual respect of posters, even when there is disagreement of opinion and we stay on topic.

If I ever get out of hand, soundly smack me (not literally, of course. I abhor brutality). I'm not perfect and one saying I once heard has stuck with me. I heard it on the radio by accident when I was trying to find an interesting talk station. The saying was, "We all fall short of the glory of God." and I'm not profoundly religious.

The woman who was calling in was related to a murderer who had just been arrested. For some reason, what she said gave me some peace. I was very depressed at the time because I'd done something stupid again and was beating myself up per usual.

The woman was talking about how badly and sad most of his relatives felt for the victim's family, friends, and loved ones and how affected they were too by the murder. Neither side would ever be the same again. It was a couple of years ago.

Hello,

Where can I find the parking lot for Kyron Horman? I was able to locate it before and now I can't. Also, what happened to the dream thread for Kyron? I don't see it anymore? Thanks - smr

Hello,

Where can I find the parking lot for Kyron Horman? I was able to locate it before and now I can't. Also, what happened to the dream thread for Kyron? I don't see it anymore? Thanks - smr

Hi! There's only one Parking Lot for all of WS, so Kyron-related threads (including the dream one, I believe) can be found amongst the threads in the PL link below:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

HTH!

If you see a new thread appear and there is an old thread on the same topic, please don't be afraid to use the alert button. Using the alert button doesn't put any black marks on your fellow posters or anything. :) It does help your Mod Squad know when there are housekeeping issues to manage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back