TN - Alissa McCommon, fourth grade teacher recently charged with raping a 12-year-old, 2023

Indeed. And if it is true, which would be easily verifiable, surely there's no chance she would be allowed to keep the baby? How long are mothers allowed to keep babies with them in prison? Up to a year maybe?

Mary Kay Leturneau had her babies, and the mother of the victim took care of the babies when she went to prison. She had one before the trial, and when she ignored the court order to stay away from her victim, she got pregnant again. That is when she had to go to prison to serve her sentence.

Prosecutors played the scathing phone call in open court almost a week after Covington police say McCommon violated the terms of her bond from a child rape charge after texting the victim.

“I will never text you again,” McCommon allegedly said during the phone call played in court. “You will never hear from me again. Just please don’t say anything. I’m under so much stress and I’m so scared all the time.”

“I tried to tell you. When it comes out looking like you, we don’t have to talk anymore. Just please God, tell me you’re not going to say anything. I’ll never speak to you again.”

McCommon’s attorney Jere Mason says there’s limited proof that the woman in the phone conversation is his client.

“You have to go off... what is the actual proof? There was no witness that was presented as a victim or anyone like that to testify this was her,” said Mason.

Mason says police also didn’t have the phone or registration of the number to find where the threatening texts came from either.

“Obviously this is going to be a trying issue for victims and everybody involved, families,” said Mason. “It’s also a trying issue for the defendant. She’s under a lot of pressure. A lot of stress.”

McCommon’s bond was revoked Tuesday, and Mason requested a mental evaluation for her, which was granted.

McCommon’s next court date is November 27.

I'm not so sure AM is really pregnant, she seems mentally unhinged - so I suspect saying she's pregnant is more about an attempt to manipulate her victim. Time will tell I suppose.

She's not giving her attorney much to work with ...

These sorts of cases don’t make sense to me. How does a 38-year-old woman think of a 12 year old in a sexual way? I looked up “12-year-old boys win writing contest” just to get an idea of a 12 year olds height, size, facial structure, etc.. they are still kids, with goofy smiles and innocent faces. How? Why? IMO

I hope if this is true that the children she manipulated will be given the help they will need.

These sorts of cases don’t make sense to me. How does a 38-year-old woman think of a 12 year old in a sexual way? I looked up “12-year-old boys win writing contest” just to get an idea of a 12 year olds height, size, facial structure, etc.. they are still kids, with goofy smiles and innocent faces. How? Why? IMO

I hope if this is true that the children she manipulated will be given the help they will need.
Oh, I'm sure that power and control plays a role in it.

Because some women are pedophiles.

Interesting. Once again, teacher student relationship. I still advocate for a toll free number, no questions asked, for teachers to call if they develop feelings towards students. It happens, frequently. These people need treatment.

Denying that this exists, and not providing any sort of solution, isn't working.

I'm not really understanding how treatment would help. How would the behavior of a teacher differ from any other sexual predator? Especially when the teacher is engaging in inappropriate relationships with multiple children.

Imo people who do these things choose employment that gives them access to children.

I'm not really understanding how treatment would help. How would the behavior of a teacher differ from any other sexual predator? Especially when the teacher is engaging in inappropriate relationships with multiple children.

Imo people who do these things choose employment that gives them access to children.

I think that this is often less about serial predators, and more about counter transference and issues with the adult, poor boundaries.

In school, absolutely nothing is said about relationships with students, as if it isn't something that would ever happen. But, people are human, and maybe a teacher develops a close relationship with a student, so, there should be a place where the teacher can call for help. Stating that they need assistance. Fine, they recognized the problem, and want treatment before it goes too far.

Right now, there is no assistance. Why not acknowledge the problem, and provide guidance, to help adult process the situation and ramifications?

She says she’s pregnant.

A Tennessee teacher charged with having sex with her then 12-year-old student told the boy she’s pregnant with his child and wants to keep the baby, according to a report.
This woman needs serious mental help. MOO

I think that this is often less about serial predators, and more about counter transference and issues with the adult, poor boundaries.

In school, absolutely nothing is said about relationships with students, as if it isn't something that would ever happen. But, people are human, and maybe a teacher develops a close relationship with a student, so, there should be a place where the teacher can call for help. Stating that they need assistance. Fine, they recognized the problem, and want treatment before it goes too far.

Right now, there is no assistance. Why not acknowledge the problem, and provide guidance, to help adult process the situation and ramifications?

Wouldn't that be be similar to employer assistance programs that many companies offer? Or part of their healthcare coverage?

People have mental health benefits as part of their health insurance. Those benefits would cover talking to a therapist about problems such as this.

Teachers and therapists are mandatory reporters, so I think there would be legal ramifications if the therapy you suggest wasn't 100% successful.

I think it's up to the schools to enact policies to prevent these things from happening. Policies which protect the students and lessen the opportunity for teachers to have access to alone time with the student, or access to the students personal cell phone. There's no reason the teacher should have contact info other than for the students parents.

Additionally, there should be audio and video surveillance throughout the school to discourage inappropriate behavior. There is already video on school busses.

Teachers should be taught what to look for if a peer is demonstrating inappropriate or concerning behavior and how to report it.

Students should be taught age appropriate ways to protect themselves and recognize signs to report and who to report them to.

Lastly, due to the stigma of mental health issues, it's difficult to get people to seek treatment for depression, anxiety etc... it would be even less likely for people to self report inappropriate feelings for a student.

Wouldn't that be be similar to employer assistance programs that many companies offer? Or part of their healthcare coverage?

People have mental health benefits as part of their health insurance. Those benefits would cover talking to a therapist about problems such as this.

Teachers and therapists are mandatory reporters, so I think there would be legal ramifications if the therapy you suggest wasn't 100% successful.

I think it's up to the schools to enact policies to prevent these things from happening. Policies which protect the students and lessen the opportunity for teachers to have access to alone time with the student, or access to the students personal cell phone. There's no reason the teacher should have contact info other than for the students parents.

Additionally, there should be audio and video surveillance throughout the school to discourage inappropriate behavior. There is already video on school busses.

Teachers should be taught what to look for if a peer is demonstrating inappropriate or concerning behavior and how to report it.

Students should be taught age appropriate ways to protect themselves and recognize signs to report and who to report them to.

Lastly, due to the stigma of mental health issues, it's difficult to get people to seek treatment for depression, anxiety etc... it would be even less likely for people to self report inappropriate feelings for a student.

I think that it could be a successful program. A friend told me about a teacher who came to see her, he kept having dreams about a student. It bothered him so much, he sought out therapy. The student adored him, and he liked her attention. He had some issues in his marriage as well.

He had the student transferred to another teacher, working with his vice principal, with strict confidentiality. He told him his situation and that he was working with a therapist. There were no issues, because he had sought help, and was quite upset about the situation.

That was when we discussed our idea, of a hotline for teachers, to get a referral for therapy.

Probably will never happen, but there is a definite need. I would also advocate for more, any, trainings on this issue. It is absolutely never talked about. Why not?! It obviously happens. Why not bring it out in the open and talk about how to identify when the teacher should reach out for support?

I think that it could be a successful program. A friend told me about a teacher who came to see her, he kept having dreams about a student. It bothered him so much, he sought out therapy. The student adored him, and he liked her attention. He had some issues in his marriage as well.

He had the student transferred to another teacher, working with his vice principal, with strict confidentiality. He told him his situation and that he was working with a therapist. There were no issues, because he had sought help, and was quite upset about the situation.

That was when we discussed our idea, of a hotline for teachers, to get a referral for therapy.

Probably will never happen, but there is a definite need. I would also advocate for more, any, trainings on this issue. It is absolutely never talked about. Why not?! It obviously happens. Why not bring it out in the open and talk about how to identify when the teacher should reach out for support?

When my son attended grade school I had to take a class about protecting students in order to volunteer or participate as a parent chaperone.

I am curious about the age of the student in your friends situation. I've had some pretty strange dreams, I think we all have. While they may make us uncomfortable I don't think many would act on it. Your friend did have the means to seek help regarding the situation.

I do think it's talked about. I just don't know that adults who no longer have school age children hear about it.

Eta, I would guess there is probably something the teachers unions offer for therapy referrals.

It definitely happens. I had a relationship when I was 15 with a guy who was 23 and training to be a teacher, not my teacher or even at my school, I knew him from elsewhere. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but he did, I went to stay with him in his shared flat at Uni, and he said to tell his flatmates I was 19, he knew it was inappropriate and he was risking so much!.
I broke up with him and he was gutted, he did qualify and worked as a teacher for a while, but he suddenly quite teaching and retrained as a plumber, and I can't help but wonder why.

When my son was thinking of training to be a PE teacher, I was worried about how he would manage, a young guy in his very early 20's surrounded by hormonal teenage girls who may end up with a crush on the teacher, if he was prepared for the situations that could arise. I do think it's something young teachers should consider and prepare for. He didn't end up choosing to teach though (not for that reason).

When my son attended grade school I had to take a class about protecting students in order to volunteer or participate as a parent chaperone.

I am curious about the age of the student in your friends situation. I've had some pretty strange dreams, I think we all have. While they may make us uncomfortable I don't think many would act on it. Your friend did have the means to seek help regarding the situation.

I do think it's talked about. I just don't know that adults who no longer have school age children hear about it.

Eta, I would guess there is probably something the teachers unions offer for therapy referrals.

LOL. The teachers union?! Never. The union is worthless. Unless it is an issue that affects the "collective", like health care, leave.

It definitely happens. I had a relationship when I was 15 with a guy who was 23 and training to be a teacher, not my teacher or even at my school, I knew him from elsewhere. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but he did, I went to stay with him in his shared flat at Uni, and he said to tell his flatmates I was 19, he knew it was inappropriate and he was risking so much!.
I broke up with him and he was gutted, he did qualify and worked as a teacher for a while, but he suddenly quite teaching and retrained as a plumber, and I can't help but wonder why.

When my son was thinking of training to be a PE teacher, I was worried about how he would manage, a young guy in his very early 20's surrounded by hormonal teenage girls who may end up with a crush on the teacher, if he was prepared for the situations that could arise. I do think it's something young teachers should consider and prepare for. He didn't end up choosing to teach though (not for that reason).

opposite gender PE teachers were not a thing in my high school so I'm surprised to read that it would've been a possibility for your son

She says she’s pregnant.

A Tennessee teacher charged with having sex with her then 12-year-old student told the boy she’s pregnant with his child and wants to keep the baby, according to a report.
This is sickening.

I agree there should be some kind of help for teachers who notice they've developed feelings for students. Young teachers in their 20's having unwanted feeling for like 16/17 year olds is fixable to me. While very morally wrong and illegal 16/17 year olds now a days look like there in their 20's. Heck I'm 23 and and most the teens in my neighborhood look way older then me. Young girls especially look a lot older now then when I was a teen several years ago. I can see how a young teacher who is single or in a crappy relationship may find themselves feeling attached to someone who looks older and is giving them a lot of attention. Except we are talking about a 12 year old here! In no world could you ever look at a 12 year old and think they were anything other then a child. I don't feel like anyone but a pedo could be attracted to someone so young. Every 12 year old I've ever seen looks like a LITTLE kid to me. Most of them are barely starting puberty. I don't think someone who starts having feelings for a 12 year old should be around kids at all. The only right way to deal with that (if they haven't committed a crime) is for them to get a job as far away from kids as they can and go to therapy immediately so they can try to learn to suppress those feelings. I hope one day we can cure people who have those feelings because I know for some they are obviously very unwanted feelings, but until then we must do everything to protect kids from the devastating physical and emotional trauma if those people act on those feelings. Imo

I found both of these laws interesting. While they don't address the help suggested up thread, they do help students and schools as part of their hiring process.

Mods, if this is not the correct thread or place for this please move accordingly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weary
Back