TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren,44, Signal Mountain, 30 April, 2011 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/sep/02/matthew-palmgren-lists-home-sale/

"Another alternative is for Matthew Palmgren to file for divorce in Chancery Court or Civil Court. Gail Palmgren would be listed as a defendant in the case and, because she is missing, a legal notice would have to run in the newspaper for 30 days in an effort to notify her", said John Cavett, a local defense attorney.

If he was to run a notice in the local newspaper for 30 days with no response, how long would it take for him to obtain a divorce if he filed immediately after the 30 day notification? Anyone know?
IIRC at one time a person could get a divorce, if it was uncontested, in about a month to six weeks after filing..JMHO

ETA.. Is Cavett saying Matt P could file first and then would have to run a legal notice for 30 days?

This makes no sense at all to me. Then I would think someone should be able to step forward and maintain her interests.

If someone does step up for her interests, I think he may have a tougher go. I think the difference is that Gail is list ed as "endangered missing" and he made her mental state an issue. So I would hope that if he is questioning her mental capacity and LE believes she may be endangered that would come into play vs. the type of case where someone clearly willingly and voluntarily left but is not thought to be in any danger or under any disability. A power of attorney can generally only be used in situations where there is no conflict of interest, right? I can't go get a POA to act on behalf of glorias and then sell her property to...myself, for example. Interestingly enough, I have heard of times where a POA was challenged because the POA was written several years prior and then a divorce happened in the intervening time. It was a health care POA so that may be different, but maybe not.

Thank you so much Shelby1 and JBean...Gail deserves our Attention!

If MP does in-fact file for a divorce, publishes a dissolution filing notice in the newspapers for 30 days, and then attempts, through his attorneys, to have the SM home be awarded solely to him...I cannot imagine a non-partial judge awarding MP sole ownership of the home when Gail has only been missing for 4 months and no cause for her disappearance has been publicly substantiated.

I'm sorry, but Gail has, at least, half interest in the SM home, until she is found or seven years have passed...Mr. MP cannot reasonably be expected to profit in whole from the sale of the SM home! That, imvho, would be a complete and utter travesty of justice!

I have always wondered if family/friends/or anyone has tried tracking her car through the VIN number....the dealer who sold it/serviced it would have that on file, as well as the insurance company and the car tag bureau (whatever it might be called in TN).....if that number is available, then anyone can track any current activity with the car by getting a car fax or similar service report.

jmo

Hi Raeann,

Good question.

The VIN # has been tracked, and still is being tracked, as far as I know.

Some1

Hi Raeann,

Good question.

The VIN # has been tracked, and still is being tracked, as far as I know.

Some1

Yes Some1, thanks. The VIN tracking is a continual and ongoing project which will continue until Gail is located and this case is resloved.

The will says that, in the event of Gail Palmgren’s death, everything belongs to her husband.

The power of attorney states that, in the event something happened to Gail Palmgren’s mental state, her husband would be able to sell property. However, in order for the document to take effect, doctors must sign off, stating Gail Palmgren is incapacitated, records state.

Golly, that's a shock.

I am not a lawyer, this is just speculation: I suspect MP can't pay the mortgage and hopes, if a seller is found, that a judge will sign off on allowing him to sell the house while Gail is missing. And considering what we have seen from judges thus far, MP is probably making a safe bet that a judge WILL agree to the sale. Just MVHO.

If MP is obligated legally to protect Gail's half of the house (asset), but he can't afford to pay the mortgage, then his lawyers surely could argue that his only option to protect her half was to sell and get the money. If a judge agrees, well, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

I have always wondered if family/friends/or anyone has tried tracking her car through the VIN number....the dealer who sold it/serviced it would have that on file, as well as the insurance company and the car tag bureau (whatever it might be called in TN).....if that number is available, then anyone can track any current activity with the car by getting a car fax or similar service report.

jmo

A lot of people are tracking the VIN. There's some info on it in the Location Thread, and I know that LE has the VIN. An email/flyer with the last 6 of the VIN has been sent out to a lot of places as well. So far, no hits.

Personally, I think that means the Jeep is hidden or under water, or it was chopped up.

The TFP article interviewed attorney John Cavett about the possibility of MP selling the house:

Another alternative is for Matthew Palmgren to file for divorce in Chancery Court or Civil Court. Gail Palmgren would be listed as a defendant in the case and, because she is missing, a legal notice would have to run in the newspaper for 30 days in an effort to notify her, said John Cavett

John Cavett is MP's mother's lawyer. Someone removed his name from the article after it was first published, but we mentioned the original version of the article here:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143418&page=2

The article used to say:

We spoke with John Cavett, attorney for Julanne Palmgren, Matthew's mother. He said they gave authorities permission to search the apartment.

It was revised to say:

We spoke with an attorney for Julanne Palmgren, Matthew's mother. He said they gave authorities permission to search the apartment.

http://www.newschannel9.com/articles/home-1002746-palmgren-julanne.html

"Another alternative is for Matthew Palmgren to file for divorce in Chancery Court or Civil Court. Gail Palmgren would be listed as a defendant in the case and, because she is missing, a legal notice would have to run in the newspaper for 30 days in an effort to notify her", said John Cavett, a local defense attorney.

If he was to run a notice in the local newspaper for 30 days with no response, how long would it take for him to obtain a divorce if he filed immediately after the 30 day notification? Anyone know?
IIRC at one time a person could get a divorce, if it was uncontested, in about a month to six weeks after filing..JMHO

ETA.. Is Cavett saying Matt P could file first and then would have to run a legal notice for 30 days?

I'm really curious how this is going to play out. IMO, he can file for legal separation like he did on May 6, but I can't see a divorce down the road even with desertion...they would have to prove she's still alive and chose to desert. kwim?? JMO, but I don't think he's worried about getting divorced to remarry...just the financials and his responsibilities legally of having a wife. There's a seven year time period..tho I've read where it can be shortened down to 5. I don't know what the stipulations are for that scenario. Surely under the circumstances, someone will have to be acting in GP's best interests... the children and her assets.

What a catastrophe for the children to go through.... I could just scream! I hope they are seeing a counselor at least on a weekly basis with everything they are having to deal with. What turmoil.

Hello- I spent some time yesterday & today reading about this case. And I had a qustion for those of you that have been following it.
I took a look at her FB. Just curious...Is there any chance GP may have tried to get to Williamsville NY, her home town. Or anyway she may have tried to get to the Art Monastery Project in Labro, Italy or had contact with/help from someone from that group?

Or is the searching for her and the vehicle centered mostly to the immediate area?
Thank you.

Believe me, all of us in her hometown of Williamsville have been diligently looking for Gail. She has so many family members and friends up here who are so worried about her. From the beginning, we've kept in contact with each other and gone over all the places where she could be up here in Buffalo. I just wish we could have found her alive and well already!

I don't think she could leave the country because she doesn't have her passport. We talked about that in relation to Canada, which is like an extension of WNY. We used to go there all the time in HS and college.

Thank you for your concern and questions! Keep the faith that we will be able to bring het home to her two beautiful children.

We love and miss you Gail!!! <3

Believe me, all of us in her hometown of Williamsville have been diligently looking for Gail. She has so many family members and friends up here who are so worried about her. From the beginning, we've kept in contact with each other and gone over all the places where she could be up here in Buffalo. I just wish we could have found her alive and well already!

I don't think she could leave the country because she doesn't have her passport. We talked about that in relation to Canada, which is like an extension of WNY. We used to go there all the time in HS and college.

Thank you for your concern and questions! Keep the faith that we will be able to bring het home to her two beautiful children.

MacGyver- your post made me think of several other cases that have ties to both US borders.
Has US Border Patrol been briefed on Gail's Jeep? Canada? Mexico? Do they have posters at every crossing in WNY/Canada?
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/ibet-eipf-eng.html

We have ties to border patrol (dogs) and should probably put the word out there- because it is possible that the Jeep has left the US... :waitasec:
Hmm, makes me think of a lot of possibilities.

I am sorry you are missing your friend, MacGyver. :(

We are all working hard to find her.
<hugs>

The TFP article interviewed attorney John Cavett about the possibility of MP selling the house:

John Cavett is MP's mother's lawyer. Someone removed his name from the article after it was first published, but we mentioned the original version of the article here:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143418&page=2

The article used to say:

It was revised to say:

http://www.newschannel9.com/articles/home-1002746-palmgren-julanne.html
That's odd. Why would he care?

Every day, Gail Palmgren's sister, Diane Nowacki Nichols, posts this message on Facebook, and it shows up on my wall. Every day when I see it, I feel like crying.

Diane is reaching out, and so humbly and heartbreakingly asking that anyone who may see her message, please help Gail's family find Gail.

Diane very specifically says in the message exactly what it is that Gail's family needs us to do to help Gail's family find her. Diane asks that we keep our eyes and ears open for any information that can lead them to Gail, and if we see or hear anything about Gail's whereabouts or her Jeep's whereabouts, call the police immediately.

Hamilton County Sheriff's Office (HCSO)
Phone: 423-622-0022
email: investigations@hcsheriff.gov

I have made a personal commitment to give my full backing and support to Gail's sister, Diane, her brother, Kevin, and Kevin's wife Maria, in their efforts to find Gail.

It is my belief that no one knows or cares about Gail or her children as much as they do, and that no one in the public knows as much as they do about what is going on with Gail's case.

I ask all my fellow Websleuthers to please join me in supporting Diane, Kevin, and Maria, by doing as they ask us to do, and by extending them, Gail, and Gail's children the compassion and respect they deserve.

Diane's message is below. The link is at the end. Please repost it on Facebook and the other forums and discussion groups you visit, and tweet it on Twitter. Please keep your eyes and ears open, and report any information you see or hear that may indicate the whereabouts of Gail or her Jeep directly to HCSO.

Thank you.

BeanE

=========================================================

MISSING PERSON: GAIL NOWACKI PALMGREN

PLEASE HELP US FIND HER !!!
Have you seen Gail or her Jeep?

If anyone has any information pertaining to Gail or her Jeep, Please Call Police Immediately.

POLICE: 911 OR HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE: 423-622-0022

MISSING PERSON: GAIL NOWACKI PALMGREN

Missing Since April 30, 2011

WE NEED YOUR HELP FINDING HER !!!

Have you seen Gail or her Jeep?

DESCRIPTION OF GAIL:
44 Years Old, 5&#8217; 8&#8221; Tall, 135 lbs., Blond Hair, Brown Eyes

DESCRIPTION OF GAIL&#8217;S JEEP:
Crimson Red JEEP Rubicon, 4 Door Black Soft Top, Alabama Plate: &#8220;EAZY ST&#8221;, Trailer Hitch: Goofy, Wheel Cover: Daisy &#8220; Life is Good &#8221;.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION PERTAINING TO GAIL OR HER JEEP
PLEASE CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY.

POLICE: 911 OR HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE: 423-622-0022

We, Gail&#8217;s family, continue to ask for your help. We are asking the public to continue to keep their eyes and ears open for any information that can lead us to Gail. If anyone sees or hears anything about the whereabouts of Gail or her Jeep we ask that you call the POLICE immediately, # 423-622-0022 or 911.

This has been difficult for everyone involved. Please consider our request for your help. If this was your family member, I know that you would want the same.

We would like to thank the public ahead of time for helping us try to find her.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243906152289486.78725.100000103098913

Thank you MacGyver...I wish I could help more. I realized the Williamsville was close to Canada and that is why I wondered if she had made it up that far.... and maybe had help to get on over the border...and thought the Art place possibly as a sanctuary for her.

Is there any chance she could have obtained false identity/passports? I do know there are ways to do so.

I want to ask another question about something I read way back on a thread. There was mention about $400 being withdrawn from an acct on a regular basis. Was it completely proven WHO was withdrawing that money?? Is there any chance that Gail may have been stashing some funds away? IN case she chose to leave??

I'm sorry if this was covered, I had so much to read and try to retain.

Oriah-
I came back to add that I did a bit of speed reading- after seeing that it is about 18 hours to Nuevo Laredo Mexico from Signal Mountain for example. From what I read & understand , no documentation is asked for to show vehicle ownership when entering into Mexico. Some US cities tried to utilize license-plate readers to detect stolen cars, but cars get into Mexico before they are reported stolen many times.
Could her car have possibly made it to Mexico...by someone other than herself, before it was even known by LE that she was missing??

Thank you MacGyver...I wish I could help more. I realized the Williamsville was close to Canada and that is why I wondered if she had made it up that far.... and maybe had help to get on over the border...and thought the Art place possibly as a sanctuary for her.

Is there any chance she could have obtained false identity/passports? I do know there are ways to do so.

I want to ask another question about something I read way back on a thread. There was mention about $400 being withdrawn from an acct on a regular basis. Was it completely proven WHO was withdrawing that money?? Is there any chance that Gail may have been stashing some funds away? IN case she chose to leave??
I'm sorry if this was covered, I had so much to read and try to retain.

BBM
MP had received a toal of $40,000 (two separate transactions of $20,000), from GP (her retirement/investment account) in the weeks prior to her disappearance. In addition, MP had been withdrawing $400 2-3x/wk from their personal accounts.

GP HAD established an emergency fund ($17,000 cashiers check), which she had sent to her sister in NY for safekeeping and to be used to cover the first 6 months of expenses following the separation. She has not contacted anyone, nor has she attempted to access the above mentioned emergency fund or any other funds which she would have or still would have access to. There has been no financial/electronic/cell activity reported since she disappeared. Nobody has had any contact with her since her disappearance. Hope this helps.

(respectfully snipped by me for pertinence)

I think you have some good ideas, having said that...imho, I do not believe Gail would leave her children behind unless she had a particular reason wherein she had absolutely no choice, i.e. witness protection.

(respectfully snipped by me for pertinence)

I think you have some good ideas, having said that...imho, I do not believe Gail would leave her children behind unless she had a particular reason wherein she had absolutely no choice, i.e. witness protection.

BBM

Some1, IMO, I have to agree also.

I'm really curious how this is going to play out. IMO, he can file for legal separation like he did on May 6, but I can't see a divorce down the road even with desertion...they would have to prove she's still alive and chose to desert. kwim?? JMO, but I don't think he's worried about getting divorced to remarry...just the financials and his responsibilities legally of having a wife. There's a seven year time period..tho I've read where it can be shortened down to 5. I don't know what the stipulations are for that scenario. Surely under the circumstances, someone will have to be acting in GP's best interests... the children and her assets.

What a catastrophe for the children to go through.... I could just scream! I hope they are seeing a counselor at least on a weekly basis with everything they are having to deal with. What turmoil.

Holly - I totally agree about the children...they've lost their mother (at least for 4 months so far) and now their home???

You have some good ideas regarding the possibility of MP filing for divorce but I believe TN is a no-fault state wherein MP can file, publish notice for 30 days and then proceed with the legal action. If any legal beagles out there know otherwise please don't hesitate to correct. TIA

IMO...I tend to believe that MP is draining funds on something and/or someone quickly (just as he was doing prior to Gail's disappearance), and needs more funds to pursue that particular lifestyle.

So happy Gail's threads are back on WS! I don't want her to be forgotten and I DO believe she will be found - hopefully sooner rather than later! Thank you mods!

Okay thank you all- I was checking to make sure the $400 withdrawals were attributed to him:) And it seems pretty solid then that she would NOT leave her children.
okay
IS there or was there ever a named POI(s)? I never did determine that specifically from my reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500