TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. If foul play is involved.

In the beginning, I was convinced this was a case of foul play, but I have to admit now that there's more evidence against foul play than for it.

If it was foul play, I think it's a strange choice of location. This happened early in the afternoon on a sunny day when the likelihood of being seen would have been great. Seems very poor planning, in sharp contrast to the precision it would have taken to force her to leave the road at the very point she would go off the mountain. Why not choose a more remote location? Makes no sense. The mountain is full of secluded places. East Brow isn't one of them.

I just can't make sense of the boulder. I'll be very interested in what the physical science analysis says about the possibilities on that.

BBM...I wholeheartedly agree but I am not convinced Gail or her jeep went off the mountain at the time they are saying the incident occurred... Again, I'm just trying to figure out how Gail's phone showed a drop in elevation at the time they claim it did...JMHO..

ETA..Concerning the 23 minute gap from when Gail left her residence and supposedly went off the mountain, in all reality I could have driven from Gail's residence to the Georgia State Line..Wonder how long she was at the convenience store and was she supposed to meet up with Matt P at another location when she left the residence? JMHO

Funeral Service For Gail Palmgren Set Friday

http://www.chattanoogan.com/

ETA..Article at chattanoogan.com just states Friday. In the obituary section the date for Gail's funeral is listed for December 30, 2011

R.I.P. Gail :rose:

You honestly have touched my life and your death has broken my heart.

This is a quote that is from a local news station facebook page.....

At least there was no foul play. But the fact that she lost her life, was taken from her family and not found until now, is hard on a family. God has her now in his arms. May God be with her family and they have blessed holidays.

Did I miss something here...did the final report come in and an announcement was made to the fact.... it was an accident with no foul play.

At least there was no foul play. But the fact that she lost her life, was taken from her family and not found until now, is hard on a family. God has her now in his arms. May God be with her family and they have blessed holidays.

Did I miss something here...did the final report come in and an announcement was made to the fact.... it was an accident with no foul play.

Hi-could you link us to the FB please?

Thank you, Whitedog and welcome to WS!!

To my knowledge there hasn't been any announcement claiming no foul play is involved..... however I'm waiting.. And may I add, right now, not too patiently, especially since the article at chattanoogan.com has stated our "good" sheriff is in agreement with Gail's demise just being a terrible accident..JMHO...

To my knowledge there hasn't been any announcement claiming no foul play is involved..... however I'm waiting.. And may I add, right now, not too patiently, especially since the article at chattanoogan.com has stated our "good" sheriff is in agreement with Gail's demise just being a terrible accident..JMHO...

Here's the Chattanoogan article I think you refer to. I don't share your perspective toward the sheriff's statement. http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_215882.asp

I'm still not sure the public is entitled to any explanation except to say it wasn't foul play, but I think it seems wise to have services during the winter break from school, for the children's sake in being able to start the new year with that hurdle behind them. Hopefully moving toward some healing.

ETA: I found the FB link Whitedog referred to: https://www.facebook.com/WRCBtv/posts/140549089389414

It would be pretty odd for the sheriff to go on about how much investigations cost in tax dollars and then tell the taxpayers they have no right to know the result of said investigations. Not unheard of or even uncommon, but odd IMHO.

I personally think the sheriff's comment several days ago about how expensive "murder investigations" are was an attempt to make people less likely to ask for further investigation. I say that only because my own local police force has done this exact thing, it was a pretty big scandal in town when it happened -- keep in mind we're nowhere near Tennessee, though. But the experience affected my opinion on what LE spokespersons say to the press.

I could be wrong, but I think it's likely that the timing of this funeral and the announcement regarding the plans has EVERYTHING to do with the children's schedules for winter break. Our local public schools' last day was yesterday.

Even if the investigation isn't complete, this seems a very wise decision for the benefit of the children IMO. They're at the end of a semester, with any exams behind them, and they're also at the end of a year. Maybe this will help them toward a fresh start in January.

There's never a good time for a funeral, but this is probably as good as it gets from the children's perspective. Just a guess.

From the Chattanoogan linked above...I guess the family has been informed of the determination. Do I believe it...nope. fwiw. I'm so sorry Gail. It seems so many let you down. RIP.

Her obituary says the 44-year-old pharmaceutical rep died "as a result of a tragic accident." Sheriff Jim Hammond said he has come to the same conclusion.

Regarding the FB, it appears to me to be a comment by a non LE source.

It may be that the final report was given to family and once they have reviewed it, it *may* be released in some form.

God Bless you and yours Gail.

I could be wrong, but I think it's likely that the timing of this funeral and the announcement regarding the plans has EVERYTHING to do with the children's schedules for winter break. Our local public schools' last day was yesterday.

Even if the investigation isn't complete, this seems a very wise decision for the benefit of the children IMO. They're at the end of a semester, with any exams behind them, and they're also at the end of a year. Maybe this will help them toward a fresh start in January.

There's never a good time for a funeral, but this is probably as good as it gets from the children's perspective. Just a guess.

My two cents and for what it is worth, I suspect we'll be hearing about a wedding in the near future...JMHO..

My two cents and for what it is worth, I suspect we'll be hearing about a wedding in the near future...JMHO..

JMO, but I don't think he'll marry. Move to MS...yep.. and try to work out of Memphis. I best not put the rest of my thoughts or feelings in print. If anything else is reported from this point I'd be very surprised, imo.

ETA: I hope she is taken home to NY.

JMO, but I don't think he'll marry. Move to MS...yep.. and try to work out of Memphis. I best not put the rest of my thoughts or feelings in print. If anything else is reported from this point I'd be very surprised, imo.

ETA: I hope she is taken home to NY.

BBM...I'll just have to respectfully disagree..
Like you It's best for me to refrain from posting my thoughts and feelings at this time...
On thing for certain... Gail and her children deserved better than what they got....JMHO..

I believe your suspicions are correct. I also don't think the funeral plans mean that the investigation is complete. It may just mean that the part of the investigation that involves the remains are complete and were released to the family for services. The timing of the funeral probably not only coincides with the Christmas break for the children, but also the family traveling from out of state. I have seen families hold funeral services on Christmas Eve or Day because that is a convenient time to have everyone together and off from work and school. Probably definitely puts a sad memory to the holiday in the future, though. I was a little surprised to see the services being held in TN. I was not expecting that. To me, that may be significant. RIP, Gail and comfort to your children, family and friends during the days ahead. :( JMO

Here's the Chattanoogan article I think you refer to. I don't share your perspective toward the sheriff's statement. http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_215882.asp

I'm still not sure the public is entitled to any explanation except to say it wasn't foul play, but I think it seems wise to have services during the winter break from school, for the children's sake in being able to start the new year with that hurdle behind them. Hopefully moving toward some healing.

ETA: I found the FB link Whitedog referred to: https://www.facebook.com/WRCBtv/posts/140549089389414

Thats ok If you don't share my perspective and no disrespect intended, but as I see it we are all entitled to our opinions concerning the matter...

When I take into consideration Gail thought someone was following her and even requested at some point on the 30th of April SMPD meet her at her residence, I find it hard to believe foul play is not involved... I can't believe SMPD ever took Matt P's word that she just ran off.. Afterall they had been called to the residence on several occasions and even gave Gail a number to a safe house on the 29th of April.... IMHO they should have been on him like white on rice when he finally got around to reporting her missing....And since they are now claiming they suspected all the time she would be found in the area where she was found due to the pings are whatever on her phone, as far as I am concerned LE has a hellovalot of explaining to do as to WHY they didn't bother to check out that praticular area seven months ago.. As I see it they waited until CUE was brought in .. Right now, I'm seeing alot of hink surrounding Gail's demise and how this case has been handled...JMHO.

In reference to myself, not speaking for anyone else, I can't take at face value this is just a terrible accident without being show proof of such..Too too many coincidences say it isn't.. And last time I checked, we, the people, vote, and pay their salaries...JMHO...

First, I'm re-quoting this to clarify what I was responding to. It's a matter of interpretation of the article. There's a tone implied in the word "just," (as well as in '"good' sheriff") and I don't catch the same perspective (or those particular words) in the article. I'm also keeping in mind that the sheriff has seen the results we haven't seen. I don't think his conclusion indicates anything less than an exhaustive investigation, and as we know, multiple agencies have been involved. That, IMO, makes it less likely that they missed anything.

Thats ok If you don't share my perspective and no disrespect intended, but as I see it we are all entitled to our opinions concerning the matter...

When I take into consideration Gail thought someone was following her and even requested at some point on the 30th of April SMPD meet her at her residence, I find it hard to believe foul play is not involved... I can't believe SMPD ever took Matt P's word that she just ran off.. Afterall they had been called to the residence on several occasions and even gave Gail a number to a safe house on the 29th of April.... IMHO they should have been on him like white on rice when he finally got around to reporting her missing....And since they are now claiming they suspected all the time she would be found in the area where she was found due to the pings are whatever on her phone, as far as I am concerned LE has a hellovalot of explaining to do as to WHY they didn't bother to check out that praticular area seven months ago.. As I see it they waited until CUE was brought in .. Right now, I'm seeing alot of hink surrounding Gail's demise and how this case has been handled...JMHO.

In reference to myself, not speaking for anyone else, I can't take at face value this is just a terrible accident without being show proof of such..Too too many coincidences say it isn't.. And last time I checked, we, the people, vote, and pay their salaries...JMHO...

Absolutely, differing opinions abound in this case, and I respect that yours is different from mine.

Yes, there's a host of circumstantial evidence that made it not look too favorable for MP from the beginning. But now we have other evidence that seems to balance it out a little. The sticking point we can't get away from is the portion I bolded above, that unless MP can prove his innocence, some people will always believe he is guilty. He'll never be able to prove his innocence, and I'm glad our justice system isn't designed to make people do that. I still believe there has to be evidence that points away from foul play, since no criminal prosecution has ever gotten off the ground in this case.

I think our biggest difference in opinion is that I'm willing to accept that there's something there I don't need to see. It's no longer a possibility that this case has been somehow swept under the rug. Pulled into the spotlight from every hidden corner would be more like it.

Like you, I question whether there could have been mistakes at some junctures of the process, delaying the discovery of her remains and the jeep in particular, but the outcome remains the same. If there were any other relevant evidence to bring to light (meaning to suggest foul play), I think we would be seeing it. If the evidence we haven't seen involves personal details irrelevant to a criminal investigation, then I don't think the public is owed those details.

I WONDER a lot of things, but that doesn't make me entitled to KNOW those things.

At this point, having driven the road twice and with the awareness of the incredible stress she was under at the time, I think suicide is more likely than foul play, but I'm willing to accept a ruling of "accident," because that too is very possible.

It would be pretty odd for the sheriff to go on about how much investigations cost in tax dollars and then tell the taxpayers they have no right to know the result of said investigations. Not unheard of or even uncommon, but odd IMHO.

I personally think the sheriff's comment several days ago about how expensive "murder investigations" are was an attempt to make people less likely to ask for further investigation. I say that only because my own local police force has done this exact thing, it was a pretty big scandal in town when it happened -- keep in mind we're nowhere near Tennessee, though. But the experience affected my opinion on what LE spokespersons say to the press.

Thanks for pointing this out - Wow! Cannot believe the sheriff said this - perhaps he had read my
thoughts in post#13 on this thread:

OldSteve said:
In these days of tight budgets, I wonder if there is a pressure placed upon LE to accept an outcome that does not involve expensive legal proceedings. I'm not say there is pressure to cover anything up, not at all - rather when you have a scene that can be interpreted as an accident, but you feel something is a bit hinky, digging further or going out of one's way to prove it's not an accident might be discouraged...

First, I'm re-quoting this to clarify what I was responding to. It's a matter of interpretation of the article. There's a tone implied in the word "just," (as well as in '"good' sheriff") and I don't catch the same perspective (or those particular words) in the article. I'm also keeping in mind that the sheriff has seen the results we haven't seen. I don't think his conclusion indicates anything less than an exhaustive investigation, and as we know, multiple agencies have been involved. That, IMO, makes it less likely that they missed anything.

Absolutely, differing opinions abound in this case, and I respect that yours is different from mine.

Yes, there's a host of circumstantial evidence that made it not look too favorable for MP from the beginning. But now we have other evidence that seems to balance it out a little. The sticking point we can't get away from is the portion I bolded above, that unless MP can prove his innocence, some people will always believe he is guilty. He'll never be able to prove his innocence, and I'm glad our justice system isn't designed to make people do that. I still believe there has to be evidence that points away from foul play, since no criminal prosecution has ever gotten off the ground in this case.

I think our biggest difference in opinion is that I'm willing to accept that there's something there I don't need to see. It's no longer a possibility that this case has been somehow swept under the rug. Pulled into the spotlight from every hidden corner would be more like it.

Like you, I question whether there could have been mistakes at some junctures of the process, delaying the discovery of her remains and the jeep in particular, but the outcome remains the same. If there were any other relevant evidence to bring to light (meaning to suggest foul play), I think we would be seeing it. If the evidence we haven't seen involves personal details irrelevant to a criminal investigation, then I don't think the public is owed those details.

I WONDER a lot of things, but that doesn't make me entitled to KNOW those things.

At this point, having driven the road twice and with the awareness of the incredible stress she was under at the time, I think suicide is more likely than foul play, but I'm willing to accept a ruling of "accident," because that too is very possible.

I personally feel that there are many issues that need to be resolved in this case before closing the book and calling it a convenient accident. I say convenient because for MP it is awfully convenient that this be declared no foul play...he gets the money he was so concerned about losing...the children and all property. IF this woman committed suicide, she was driven to it by a vicious, greedy, cold hearted cheater. There is nothing innocent about this business nor MP IMO.

It is far more costly, imo, for this jurisdiction to have gone about this investigation the way they have given that they might have been able to recover her in May with the assistance of the National Guard that was already in the area-do I have the timeline correct?

Respectfully, I dont know that I think the sheriff would willfully make the determination that it was too expensive to complete this investigation, especially given the fact that we have a very involved immediate family (Gail's siblings) and the combined resources of SMPD, HCSO, TBI and at one point the FBI. To believe all of the agencies would decide to cover this up or drop the ball because of expense-well I cant wrap my brain around it.

I think tomorrow is going to be a very hard day for those who love Gail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HairHawk