TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 **Location Project**

I just went back and ran it from Titus, AL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually where the house is....it's actually a little less than an hour and a half from Titus since it's more north, which actually I think makes it even more likely your sighting might be genuine.

Hi Irish - I think Gail went to the lake house in Wetumpka, AL. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

AD lives next to the Titus, AL lake property that was vacant last time I heard.

I did a few calcs using Mapquest and came up with an approx 1 hour 49 min trip via Titus and an approx 2 hour trip via Montgomery I65 to the Hoover/Birmingham area. That would put Gail closer to 8:15 to 8:30 am (CT) reaching the Birmingham area, that is if she left Wetumpka at 6:30 am.

Irish - I think you have some great ideas about getting the official flyers out to security personnel and with the hash tags...I did my first reading up on the subject of tweeting and hash tags last night per some links that BeanE had provided....it will be awhile before I'm up to speed on that! :crazy:

Hi Irish - I think Gail went to the lake house in Wetumpka, AL. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

AD lives next to the Titus, AL lake property that was vacant last time I heard.

I did a few calcs using Mapquest and came up with an approx 1 hour 49 min trip via Titus and an approx 2 hour trip via Montgomery I65 to the Hoover/Birmingham area. That would put Gail closer to 8:15 to 8:30 am (CT) reaching the Birmingham area, that is if she left Wetumpka at 6:30 am.

For some reason, I thought she was at the house next to AD, but I think you're right. I didn't use MapQuest, I used Google maps which showed around 1 hour 30 min....hard to know which is more accurate unless a local knows?

Just wanted to toss out something that out of town folks would not really be aware of. I-65 northbound has a major roadwork event going on right around the I-459 and Hoover area. I can see that she might try to get around all the construction junk by taking I-459, so even if that was not a normal route for her to get back to Signal Mtn. she could have taken I-459 to avoid downtown and construction traffic.

Has anyone just tried to google the VIN#? Many advertisers, like Cargurus list it in the ad for the vehicles. Just a thought...

AAA hashtag is, wait for it, #AAA

If we wanted to contact them about including fliers in their mailings or sending out a tweet or whatever, here is a manager in the Chattanooga office. Probably a good place to start:

Joyce Thompson-Chattanooga
Travel Manager
(423) 490-2000 x2245 office

So here's the problem I'm running into with the twitter project:

Some things, are easy, like #Birmingham, #BHAM for Birmingham.

Other things are harder. Plus, if I understand correctly, certain hashtags can be searched, but you won't necessarily get a tweet about that hashtag unless you are looking for it.

I'm thinking a better direction to go, is to take the same groups we want to target and then contact those businesses or groups directly that serve our targeted areas and ask them to send a tweet to their followers. We can even have a boilerplate tweet that we just customize for each situation. Examples:

For AAA "TN travelers, help find missing mom - have you seen this Jeep? (link to flyer)."

For a motorcycle club: "Bikers, we've been asked to help bring home this missing mom...Keep an eye out for this Jeep (link)

I think if we give them something to say vs. asking them to write something themselves, they're more likely to do it.

People search hashtags all the time. If you search a hashtag, you'll get all tweets containing that hashtag.

If you Follow a person/company/organization, you'll get all tweets that person/company/organization sends out on your Timeline (your Twitter homepage).

If I send out a tweet with the #bikers hashtag in it, everyone who searches for #bikers will get the tweet.

Also, while I think of it, people search on just keywords, for example, bikers. People who search bikers will get all tweets containing the word bikers, but they won't necessarily get tweets with the hashtag #bikers in the tweets that come up first in Top tweets. Most people will incorporate both to try to reach a wider audience because of anomalies like this in search results.

If a person/company/organization sends out a tweet, everyone Following them (all of their Followers) will get that tweet on their Timeline.

So... the ideal would be if, e.g., a biker club sent out a tweet containing both the word bikers and the hashtag #bikers. Then that tweet would go to anyone who may be Following them, everyone who searches for bikers, and everyone who searches for #bikers.

I think it's a great idea to ask companies and organizations to tweet out to their Followers, particularly those with a large number of Followers.

I think hashtags and keywords have the benefit of potentially reaching more people, if you use popular hashtags and keywords.

So... it's all good. The more different ways you tweet out to people, the more people will potentially be reached.

One unexpected benefit I found from my tweets with the word Jeep and the hashtag #Jeep is that Jeep salespeople and companies are picking up my tweet and re-tweeting it. I was thrilled!

And... you've made me realize that I have that list of all reporters and news stations who've tweeted about Gail. They'd be great people/organizations to ask to send out a Jeep finding tweet, since they've already shown an interest in Gail's story.

One unexpected benefit I found from my tweets with the word Jeep and the hashtag #Jeep is that Jeep salespeople and companies are picking up my tweet and re-tweeting it. I was thrilled!

(snipped by me)

That's awesome!

Regarding all things Jeep- can we post the dealership where Gail's Jeep came from, and the salesperson's name who leased it?
The reason why I ask, is because they are likely to retain records of what was factory installed on the Jeep at the time. They may also have follow-up records re: oil changes, etc. TIA.

FWIW, I posted this on the main forum. But, I'll repeat it here.
About fifteen or twenty years ago, I was fishing in the Suck Creek area at the base of Signal Mountain. I approached the boat ramp at Suck Creek to load my boat, and I found that the ramp was closed, with log type trucks, a wrecker, and some flat bed trailers.
This outfit was pulling vehicles out of the water. They already had six or eight, and there were more there.
They were reticent to talk about what they were doing, but it was a salvage business that "worked" places like the SC boat ramp. They went all over the tri-state area. They came to SC twice a year.
There was no licensing required, and there were no insurance companies involved.
The jeep could be there, or in hundreds of other locations like it.

For some reason, I thought she was at the house next to AD, but I think you're right. I didn't use MapQuest, I used Google maps which showed around 1 hour 30 min....hard to know which is more accurate unless a local knows?

:seeya:
Hi Irish,

It probably depends on whether we're using the exact locations or not which we don't really have. I would say average the two and we'd have a real good idea about time but not as precise as if entering exact location addresses.

And we don't know if she liked to stick to the speed limits, drive faster, slower and about all possible road construction/repair projects...alot of variables involved!

I am new to this and I have to say that I am very impressed by this group of people. You are amazing.

:seeya:
Hi Irish,

It probably depends on whether we're using the exact locations or not which we don't really have. I would say average the two and we'd have a real good idea about time but not as precise as if entering exact location addresses.

And we don't know if she liked to stick to the speed limits, drive faster, slower and about all possible road construction/repair projects...alot of variables involved!

Hi some1! :seeya:

We do know about road construction/repair- but it depends on the time frame involved...
http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/construction/full_rd_closures.htm

Which has me to thinking about construction workers, and cameras on site. The DOT and PD might not have traffic cameras on SM- but contractors do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back