TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this case was botched from minute one. Just my opinion and I don't want to hurt LE's feelings. But when you have someone go missing in such a rural area, and do not immediately set up appropriate road blocks, but then have hundreds of untrained strangers and townspeople come roaming around to search, then you have a mess. I don't disagree with LE using volunteers...this happens quite frequently, especially where there is a lot of ground to cover. But the time to act was immediately at the scene (LE was there quickly too, just minutes after Holly went towards the woods), to secure the surrounding areas and to set up check points along the way, especially at on ramps to interstates or larger access roadways.

It just seems obvious to me that this perp was someone who knew the area well. I'm praying its only a matter of time....

You could be right, though I have a feeling that the unsub took Holly on the back roads, not a main thoroughfare... more like a little trail leading to the boonies, some remote hideout that would have been hard to find.
I don't know that part of Tenn. but around here there are hundreds of roads and trails leading to the middle of nowhere, and it would be impossible to cover them all. It would have taken thousands of officers.
I try not to second-guess LE, but I still don't know why they didn't send people into the woods in the direction that CB pointed out, if there was a chance they could have found her in time to save her life. But... it's surprising how far you can get in 15 to 30 minutes if you're running from the law. He may have had a 4 wheel drive waiting nearby and been nearly out of the state by the time they had searchers rounded up.

No legitimate search org toots their own horns and inserts themselves into cases. That is red flag 101 in the search world --- Plenty claim they don't come in unless LE calls them but in reality the high profile ones many gravitate to and will indeed insert themselves and claim otherwise . I am surprised nobody has dug enough to see that this Sheriff did toot his own horn. He was one of dozens of teams that were brought in from 11 states with more than 5 resources in SAR that were utilized on this search -Sheriff was called in by a national org who did not inset themselves into this case but were requested by top law officials. Calling outside mounted teams not in typical network is not uncommon when you can't fly a horse to a location. You would expect more from a sheriff department so one would think. Again, goes to show the professionalism of those who were indeed brought in --- 99.9 % of the other teams present who did not send out press releases. This sheriff has NO jurisdiction and this was indeed a toot my horn moment as I said earlier the other 99.9 % of teams did not press release themselves out in this type of fashion.

He doesn't need jurisdiction to help search for a missing person. He wasn't there to arrest someone, just to help search.

You could be right, though I have a feeling that the unsub took Holly on the back roads, not a main thoroughfare... more like a little trail leading to the boonies, some remote hideout that would have been hard to find.
I don't know that part of Tenn. but around here there are hundreds of roads and trails leading to the middle of nowhere, and it would be impossible to cover them all. It would have taken thousands of officers.
I try not to second-guess LE, but I still don't know why they didn't send people into the woods in the direction that CB pointed out, if there was a chance they could have found her in time to save her life. But... it's surprising how far you can get in 15 to 30 minutes if you're running from the law. He may have had a 4 wheel drive waiting nearby and been nearly out of the state by the time they had searchers rounded up.

I have considered the thought of a trail in the woods...but to pull 2 full grown adults on one of those 4-wheelers for miles, through underbrush so deep that trained search dogs could not gain access, seems unlikely . However, it must be an idea that LE considered, since they mentioned seeking ATV tires that had been sold just after the crime.

Criminologists have long stated that, in a majority of cases, the path of least resistance (or the simplest, most feasible logic) is the most likely occurrence. Thinking things through, just for me, I have to believe the perp led Holly through the woods on foot to a waiting vehicle (and a waiting driver? perhaps). I would dare to say (eek) that the perp even passed LE who were en route to the scene of the crime. I believe this perp was local...someone who had access to a car/s...someone Holly knew....someone who searched for her after her disappearance....someone who planted evidence...someone right under LE's nose....someone who is being protected by family or an accomplice. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

We need a break...no doubt about it, but...

I wonder if it would be possible to convince the Bobo's sit down with an intelligent and articulate volunteer and to come up with a clear and concise printed version of exactly what happened along with a timeline of the morning of the disappearance that could be released to the public. IMO I feel that the only smallest hope left of actually generating a tangible "lead" would be to release a complete and accurate version of the story. OK, so maybe its the smallest chance in the world, but the Darden/Parsons area has a population of several thousand people, and each one of those people is a camera angle into this crime. The problem is, none of these camera angles are any good if there operators don't know what they are looking at.
IMO this would give each camera angle a solid context with witch they could review and evaluate there footage.

I have considered the thought of a trail in the woods...but to pull 2 full grown adults on one of those 4-wheelers for miles, through underbrush so deep that trained search dogs could not gain access, seems unlikely . However, it must be an idea that LE considered, since they mentioned seeking ATV tires that had been sold just after the crime.

Criminologists have long stated that, in a majority of cases, the path of least resistance (or the simplest, most feasible logic) is the most likely occurrence. Thinking things through, just for me, I have to believe the perp led Holly through the woods on foot to a waiting vehicle (and a waiting driver? perhaps). I would dare to say (eek) that the perp even passed LE who were en route to the scene of the crime. I believe this perp was local...someone who had access to a car/s...someone Holly knew....someone who searched for her after her disappearance....someone who planted evidence...someone right under LE's nose....someone who is being protected by family or an accomplice. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

I agree with you. And to clarify, I meant a 4-wheel drive truck or a Jeep.. not a 4-wheeler.

We need a break...no doubt about it, but...

I wonder if it would be possible to convince the Bobo's sit down with an intelligent and articulate volunteer and to come up with a clear and concise printed version of exactly what happened along with a timeline of the morning of the disappearance that could be released to the public. IMO I feel that the only smallest hope left of actually generating a tangible "lead" would be to release a complete and accurate version of the story. OK, so maybe its the smallest chance in the world, but the Darden/Parsons area has a population of several thousand people, and each one of those people is a camera angle into this crime. The problem is, none of these camera angles are any good if there operators don't know what they are looking at.
IMO this would give each camera angle a solid context with witch they could review and evaluate there footage.

Good idea about having the family give an accurate story of the events, but while that might satisfy the curiosity of the public, I don't see how it could help in locating Holly at this point. I'm sure that LE has gone over it many times with all 3 of them, and since her brother was the only other person there, there really isn't much more they can get out of him, IMO. I'm sure he is kicking himself for not being more alert. If no other neighbors saw or heard anything.... they can't be much help, either.
The scary thing is... someone is bound to have seen or passed whatever vehicle this guy was driving and never known anything was wrong. He could have had her in the trunk or a toolbox, or tied up and covered with a tarp or blanket, with a gag in her mouth to keep her from making noise. She could have been 20 feet from someone and they wouldn't realize it.

Good idea about having the family give an accurate story of the events, but while that might satisfy the curiosity of the public, I don't see how it could help in locating Holly at this point. I'm sure that LE has gone over it many times with all 3 of them, and since her brother was the only other person there, there really isn't much more they can get out of him, IMO. I'm sure he is kicking himself for not being more alert. If no other neighbors saw or heard anything.... they can't be much help, either.
The scary thing is... someone is bound to have seen or passed whatever vehicle this guy was driving and never known anything was wrong. He could have had her in the trunk or a toolbox, or tied up and covered with a tarp or blanket, with a gag in her mouth to keep her from making noise. She could have been 20 feet from someone and they wouldn't realize it.

I think this most likely did happen...perhaps even a police vehicle on the way to the Bobo house passed them, as at that point they were not looking for any vehicle, just armed with the knowledge that she set off on foot into the woods with a man. JMO
Too bad they did not all those dash cams that record all the time...maybe they would have been able to look back at other cars and trucks on the roads.

I will spell it out here - The Dekalb County Mounted Unit was NOT directly called in by TN Authorities - that sheriff saying that was tooting his own horn and a direct lie. They were brought in by CUE along with every other team present. When it falls into LE to LE agencies when a non-for-profit is requesting agency - it tends to fall into a guideline of LE blessing for a team to deploy and this Sheriff used that to garner his press.

The CUE Center For Missing Persons was called in by the top officials in TN - In turn CUE brought in and funded ALL the resources of this LARGE scale search in which was operated & commanded by the CUE Center Founder Monica Caison. There were over 60 horse teams on location. Dekalb was a small part of a very large mounted effort as well as additional 200 + personal. I would not want to be Dekalb at this moment as their "press release" went against professionalism and the requirements set forth by officials. The CUE Center is 100 percent non-for-profit and does NOT charge any fee to any family or gov agency and relies on donations of it's supporters. Period.

To learn more about CUE you can watch this educational video on the org and what all entails operating a search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDBcG0Qt7M

I hope this clears up any speculation or questions you all have.

It's a directly neighboring state. People just across the Alabama line have close ties with Tennessee, and vice versa.

So he tooted his own horn - so what? Every search team I've ever read about does that. TES does the same thing, and has hundreds of fans lined up to do it for them. Some of us are not as thrilled with them - they don't find everyone they are looking for - not even close. They didn't find Caylee Anthony and she was right there in the neighborhood. They apparently searched everywhere except in her own back yard. :twocents:

I actually applaud LE for bringing in some new eyes and horses on the ground. These folks may not have found Holly, but they searched a wide area that can be cleared. Knowing where someone is not is just as important as knowing where someone is. JMOO :cow:

BBM - You are 100 percent correct in the BBM - Eliminating space is instrumental - The media broadcasting search zones - not so much.

The DeKalb unit was ASKED to search as they were a mounted unit not available in Henderson or Darden. They didnt just think of going and searching there on their own.

Correct - They were asked by the CUE Center who was requested - Not the TBI - Don't think they will be asked back - Don't think the DOZENS of other teams find respect in their presser after others traveled just as far and farther. But you don't see that out there do you?

For what its worth i know of her from the Hailey Dunn case..she seems more about headlines and drama than fact.

JMO

That article should be considered Criminal for what it did to the BOBO family. Too many people trying to get a TRUMP on something when they get wind of info on searchers in area.. just IN CASE they find a body.

[/B]

I think this most likely did happen...perhaps even a police vehicle on the way to the Bobo house passed them, as at that point they were not looking for any vehicle, just armed with the knowledge that she set off on foot into the woods with a man. JMO
Too bad they did not all those dash cams that record all the time...maybe they would have been able to look back at other cars and trucks on the roads.

Those roads are empty - Can be on them for 3 hours and not see a vehicle. Twists and turns so quick - can loose someone easily and they would have no clue which way someone went.

Those roads are empty - Can be on them for 3 hours and not see a vehicle. Twists and turns so quick - can loose someone easily and they would have no clue which way someone went.

Adding more item - if a vehicle is passed on these roads it is noted - there is no traffic - literally.

Walker: I understand that you're upset about the press leak, but good heavens - everyone around there for miles knew where they were searching, I bet.

And for all that any of us know, they might have found something that will lead to this case being solved.

The only reason I took up for the DeKalb rescue team is that I know they do good work when people get lost down there in northern Alabama. Sorry - I was just expressing some local pride.

This was mentioned on a HB FB page. Probably unrelated but interesting...

http://www.wsmv.com/story/17109033/hendersonville-suspect-arrest

Attempted abduction

Yes, that's interesting but it seems that suspect was working in his comfort zone around Hendersonville and Gallatin.

That article should be considered Criminal for what it did to the BOBO family. Too many people trying to get a TRUMP on something when they get wind of info on searchers in area.. just IN CASE they find a body.

If they did find a body, they wouldn't just ride away and leave it in the woods, though.

And also . . . they didn't find a body. Neither did any of the other multitude of groups searching. That's doesn't seem like a valid criticism to me. :twocents:

If they did find a body, they wouldn't just ride away and leave it in the woods, though.

And also . . . they didn't find a body. Neither did any of the other multitude of groups searching. That's doesn't seem like a valid criticism to me. :twocents:

We can disagree on this. That's okay. Your correct in one statement - the family would be notified by TBI FIRST. Not some online blogger who was gambling on whether a body was found or not. I see what it does to families when people are trying to fame out their grief. Awful. Here is an article you may find interesting. I can't wait for the follow ups as I think the public literally needs to understand more about the varies capacities of suffering these families of the missing are subjected to and it doesn't end with what is entailed in this article.

There was no press there. Anyone can sit behind a computer and put on a media cap and write stories - some good and some not so good. And yes, it was no secret that locals saw searchers.
What did the locals say in the articles? ---->The searchers did not discuss information with them and this was not to be rude but following direct orders. The locals were very polite about this as they clearly have the family best interest for a resolution in this case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/families-h...rivate-torment/story?id=15508160#.T1tk4VHns20

As for the Dk Mounted Team it is a shame the Sheriff did that to their team. A press release stating they participated and spoke about their own unit and what they do as a Sheriff Posse would have been appropriate.

I don't want you to think I am angry - not at all - I understand this website is for discussion and I think there are some amazing talented researchers on this website.

I wonder how different this case might be viewed if the "drops" or "flecks" of blood had not been found? Would LE still have considered this to be an abduction right away? Or would it be more like Katelyn Markham's case, where LE is still saying they don't know if she left on her own or was a victim of foul play? Just wondering...not that it makes any difference in helping to find her at this point.

But the blood bothers me because even once Clint heard about the scream, he did not charge into the woods after his sister-he had seen the blood, dismissed it as "turkey" blood, but once he knew a scream had been heard, one would think he would have seen that blood in a new light and instinct/nature would have taken over, causing him to run after her. JMO

I wonder how different this case might be viewed if the "drops" or "flecks" of blood had not been found? Would LE still have considered this to be an abduction right away? Or would it be more like Katelyn Markham's case, where LE is still saying they don't know if she left on her own or was a victim of foul play? Just wondering...not that it makes any difference in helping to find her at this point.

But the blood bothers me because even once Clint heard about the scream, he did not charge into the woods after his sister-he had seen the blood, dismissed it as "turkey" blood, but once he knew a scream had been heard, one would think he would have seen that blood in a new light and instinct/nature would have taken over, causing him to run after her. JMO

Like you, I'm puzzled about events of that morning - in the calm perspective of hindsight allot doesn't make sense:
Why a mom who was not there was so panicked about something bad happening.
Why a bother who was there seems so non-reactive, reluctant to act to the situation.

But so be it, things happen the way they happen sometimes and as we are almost a month away from the one-year anniversary we as the public don't know more than we did a month after this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea