TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed in a lot of cases, the parents are everywhere for however long the case is "hot" and then once the developments stop coming in, they will go months without talking to the media. It makes me think that it's difficult for them to get a media slot when there's nothing happening in their child's case, it's month or even years old, and it's been replaced by other cases. I don't like to put the blame on the parents, when the media definitely has a reputation for not being fair when it comes to missing persons.

Agreed, and I think it's a combination. The media is not going to keep hounding the family for news, and the family is not going to be calling them unless they have a reason to. And, LE is not going to make public statements when there are no new developments to talk about. I don't think this means that LE is not still investigating, I'm sure they are. It just may not be anything newsworthy at this point, and they may not be devoting every minute of the day to this case, simply because Holly is an adult, not a child. They do tend to exhibit a little more urgency when it's a child missing.

But in all fairness, I would like to remind everyone, LE is NOT obligated to share details of their investigation with the public. They do not have to keep everyone up to date. Most of them do communicate with the family, as a courtesy, but in the cases where a family member could be a POI, they sometimes don't. Not saying anyone in this family is a POI, but since the brother is the only witness, they may feel like the less said, the better. A lot of people still think his actions that morning were strange, anyway. LE may not want to rock the boat and even their own statements were not consistent in the beginning, i.e. the being "dragged", versus "led" into the woods, to just calmly walking alongside the unsub.

SO... what we have here is a failure to communicate.
Joke... it's still early and I haven't had nearly enough coffee.

But in all fairness, I would like to remind everyone, LE is NOT obligated to share details of their investigation with the public. They do not have to keep everyone up to date.

Sticky worthy.:rocker:

Agreed, and I think it's a combination. The media is not going to keep hounding the family for news, and the family is not going to be calling them unless they have a reason to. And, LE is not going to make public statements when there are no new developments to talk about. I don't think this means that LE is not still investigating, I'm sure they are. It just may not be anything newsworthy at this point, and they may not be devoting every minute of the day to this case, simply because Holly is an adult, not a child. They do tend to exhibit a little more urgency when it's a child missing.

(snipped)

I think the best media exposure for Holly's case right now would be one of those crime shows like 48 Hours, 20/20, Dateline, or any show on ID where they focus on one case for the entire hour. I don't believe there's been one of those done about this case. It could be a retrospective look at everything we know so far. Unfortunately, shows like GMA, Nancy Grace, JVM aren't going to cover a months-old case to tell everyone that nothing is happening.

I totally agree that LE is NOT obligated to share information with the public and rightfully so, BUT, I also think that there comes a point in an investigation that if and when LE feels that they are not making any progress, no kidnap victim, no body (heaven forbid), no new clues, that maybe sharing some info with the public may lead to a break in the case.

(snipped)

I think the best media exposure for Holly's case right now would be one of those crime shows like 48 Hours, 20/20, Dateline, or any show on ID where they focus on one case for the entire hour. I don't believe there's been one of those done about this case. It could be a retrospective look at everything we know so far. Unfortunately, shows like GMA, Nancy Grace, JVM aren't going to cover a months-old case to tell everyone that nothing is happening.

No, there has not been an in-depth hour as one of those shows would provide. If nothing else, those shows generate a new interest in a case. Every time a case is covered, even cases several years old, we see the thread bumped up here.

I totally agree that LE is NOT obligated to share information with the public and rightfully so, BUT, I also think that there comes a point in an investigation that if and when LE feels that they are not making any progress, no kidnap victim, no body (heaven forbid), no new clues, that maybe sharing some info with the public may lead to a break in the case.

Certainly the public has helped before, in solving cold cases or older cases, if LE has come forth and put out new bits of information. With what has been put out in this case so far, I would guess that all leads have been exhausted...not sure what it could hurt to be more open. Holly needs to be found. But I am also not confident that LE has much to share of any use. JMO

The number one thing I would love to have access to is the 911 calls. What is in them to justify LE not releasing them? Mmmm.....I really want to hear these.

The number one thing I would love to have access to is the 911 calls. What is in them to justify LE not releasing them? Mmmm.....I really want to hear these.

In TN calls do not have to be made public. Not sure what is to gain by keeping them quiet, but they don't have to be released.

BBM:
What is the confusion about this?

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/holly-bobo/view

I agree, but I doubt if they know much more now than they did back then. There may not be anything new they can tell the public.

Even finding the body may not be much help to them since so much time has passed. There were no witnesses except the brother and he hasn't been much help, as far as we know, because he didn't seem to think it was an abduction until his mother panicked and told him it wasn't her boyfriend.

We want our curiosities satisfied, I get that. But even if we had all the information LE does, what could we do with it? Nothing, for the most part. It would be nothing short of a miracle if Holly is found alive. If her body is ever stumbled upon, that still may not give them much clues as to who is responsible. I do agree that it wouldn't hurt if they offered the public some hope that they are still working on the case and to encourage people to call in tips or possible leads.

I agree, but I doubt if they know much more now than they did back then. There may not be anything new they can tell the public.

Even finding the body may not be much help to them since so much time has passed. There were no witnesses except the brother and he hasn't been much help, as far as we know, because he didn't seem to think it was an abduction until his mother panicked and told him it wasn't her boyfriend.

We want our curiosities satisfied, I get that. But even if we had all the information LE does, what could we do with it? Nothing, for the most part. It would be nothing short of a miracle if Holly is found alive. If her body is ever stumbled upon, that still may not give them much clues as to who is responsible. I do agree that it wouldn't hurt if they offered the public some hope that they are still working on the case and to encourage people to call in tips or possible leads.

Sadly so true what you say as we approach the 1-yr anniversary.
My hope is that LE has someone(s) in mind, but cannot move forward because that person(s) has been given an alibi by family or friends. If so they are waiting for someone to get a conscious and say something.
Another break might come from someone in jail who has info and comes forward in a effort to win favor...
Anyway, those are two ways I've seen some cold cases catch a break on the ID shows I watch.

Sadly so true what you say as we approach the 1-yr anniversary.
My hope is that LE has someone(s) in mind, but cannot move forward because that person(s) has been given an alibi by family or friends. If so they are waiting for someone to get a conscious and say something.
Another break might come from someone in jail who has info and comes forward in a effort to win favor...
Anyway, those are two ways I've seen some cold cases catch a break on the ID shows I watch.

Or when people divorce or break up.
But if no one else knows, i.e. if the person's alibi, if he was ever approached, is simply uncheckable, that will not happen, probably. You can't be arrested for not being able to prove where you were at a certain time. I'm not convinced that LE has ever come across the person who did this, personally, at least not this LE in relation to this case. He may be known to other LE elsewhere. JMO

I am fully aware that LE is not required to release the 911 calls. They don't have to tell anyone anything. But....they do have to live with criticism their decisions bring.

This case was originally called "a home invasion." That was the beginning of confusion. NOTHING since then has made sense.

Please, LE...give us the 911 calls already. All 3 of them that we are aware of. I think there is a reason they are not being publicized.

I am fully aware that LE is not required to release the 911 calls. They don't have to tell anyone anything. But....they do have to live with criticism their decisions bring.

This case was originally called "a home invasion." That was the beginning of confusion. NOTHING since then has made sense.

Please, LE...give us the 911 calls already. All 3 of them that we are aware of. I think there is a reason they are not being publicized.

I think that the CONFUSION is what makes this case so fascinating!!! It is like the pieces of the puzzle are all there, but they keep changing shapes!

Or when people divorce or break up.
But if no one else knows, i.e. if the person's alibi, if he was ever approached, is simply uncheckable, that will not happen, probably. You can't be arrested for not being able to prove where you were at a certain time. I'm not convinced that LE has ever come across the person who did this, personally, at least not this LE in relation to this case. He may be known to other LE elsewhere. JMO

BBM:
Couldn't agree with this more.

I can't believe it has almost been a year already.

Her poor family :(

Gosh, no posts in three days...this won't be a "hot case" much longer, if it ever was...

Am hoping LE thinks long and hard and decides to release some more info next week, as it becomes a year since Holly was taken (that is, if they have any to release.) Their current program does not seem to be working.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member