Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

Forgot to post this girl I found.. does not mention any surgeries though.

- JENNIFER LYNN PANDOS
Case Type: Endangered Runaway
DOB: Oct 29, 1971 Sex: Female
Missing Date: Feb 10, 1987 Race: White
Age Now: 37 Height: 5'2" (157 cm)
Missing City: WILLIAMSBURG Weight: 100 lbs (45 kg)
Missing State : VA

Attachments

• JenniferLynnPandosVA.jpg
    JenniferLynnPandosVA.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 112
Hi Roselvr,
I finished a search last night of the 1000's of missing around the southern states so I would just like to finish posting the similar ones I found.

Possibles:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_billie.html - missing since 1985
(has several injuries/fractures)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/minish_becky.html - missing March 17 1987
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wilkinson_tammie.html - missing 1984
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rothganger_tammy.html - missing 1984
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grunst_clara.html-missing 1984
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ross_sandra.html - missing 1984 (but probably too old for our time frame) similar facial structure though

Sorry about the extensive list but this is the Southern States surrounding the area where she was found, unfortunately we need to narrow it down.

Pearly

My internet went down again.. gonna post what I have so far and call it a night.
this is getting old..

Hi Roselvr,
I finished a search last night of the 1000's of missing around the southern states so I would just like to finish posting the similar ones I found.

Possibles:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_billie.html - missing since 1985
(has several injuries/fractures)

She would be great to post to some motorcycle/biker/Daytona sites. If I run across any I'll be sure to come back for her info.
Websleuths Archive - Billie Jean Hall
see this:
Prior to her missing Billie Jean had been in a very bad accident and had a lot of head trauma along with numerous broken bones in hands, ribs, ect.

Websleuths more Billie Jean Hall
myspace page she's listed on

Shame there isnt more about her.

Link didnt work for me

Clara Marie Grunst
Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Scoliosis
Circumstances of Disappearance
On Ocober 9, 1984, Clara Grunst was believed to have been hitchhiking from Joplin, MO to Milwaukee, WI.
She last contacted her family at approximately 11:40am from a payphone in Pittsburg, Kansas.
Clara's Social Security number was used in the St. Louis area.

I wonder how much they've searched in Pittsburg, Kansas & St. Louis. If I have a day where I have motivation to google I'll look into her more.
her sister was here

'Shotgun female’

Around 2:30 a.m. June 1, 1987, a 12-gauge shotgun slug blew through the front door of a North Knox County home, ripping the face off a woman raising a ruckus on the porch.

Knox County Sheriff’s Office authorities speculated at the time that the unidentified woman and two male accomplices were attempting to trick and rob the resident on Jim Sterchi Road by faking a fight outside her front door.

The woman kicked the door, awakening the resident and a visitor. The resident called police and fired one shot from a shotgun when the woman attempted to open a screen door.

The two men were caught. But they were unable to identify the woman. They said they had picked her up at a Greene County rest stop just before the shooting.

Jantz, of the UT Forensic Anthropology Center, said she and her colleagues dubbed the dead woman “Shotgun Female.”

The case is archived in Sheriff’s Office records, and spokeswoman Martha Dooley said the department follows up on all leads on the woman’s identity.

A UT forensic anthropology student generated a computer reconstruction of the woman in the early 1990s.

Ansley Haman may be reached at 865-342-6341.
http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news157.html

Ya'll are doing a GREAT job!!! Thank you. I would like to know if they have fingerprints on the UID. Does anyone know?

I am thinking this is the closest match so far, although she is slightly bigger then then the UID, she may have lost weight in the subsequent two years.

Furthermore I believe as other WS members have stated, that parents and relatives are not always aware of tattoos that missing persons may possess or again she may have obtained the tattoo after she became a missing person.

Another theory regarding the fractures is that they also may have occured after she went missing i.e. in an accident. So the missing persons reports we are looking at may have no specifications regarding this and/or another theory is the person who reported said missing persons knew nothing of the fractures BUT our UID does have fractures, ones which requires metal plates (I am currently looking into the company Synthes which Knox County specified on their autopsy report to see hopefully which hospitals they dealt with in 1987 or around that time period).

But now to the possible match that I found on the charley project:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/terry_julie.html

What do you think?

Pearly

Attachments

• terry_julie.jpg
    terry_julie.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 39
  • 20080605093514061_0001s.jpg
    20080605093514061_0001s.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 32
The guy got back to me about trying to date the shirt:

Hi Rose,
There really is no good way of telling from looking at the shirt as there was no Dolphins logo (changed in the 70s) on the shirt.

oh well.

Shame we got nowhere with the Dolphins shirt....I'm thinking we need to contact LE or ME and see what we can find out about our UID regarding why their is no fingerprints or dentals and how DNA is progressing.

Do you think there are any other questions that need to be put forward?
I was thinking perhaps:

Is there a photo of the tattoo or what did the tattoo look like?
did the silver chain have any unique features?
Has the metal plate manufactured by Synthes ever attempted to be tracked down to a particular hospital (sometimes they have numerical numbers on them and are recorded on a patients record).
Did the UID have any moles or scars that you are aware of?

As I am new to all this I presume it would be best to start with the basics re DNA etc and then in a follow up email maybe ask about the rest...any thoughts greatly appreciated

Pearly

Shame we got nowhere with the Dolphins shirt....I'm thinking we need to contact LE or ME and see what we can find out about our UID regarding why their is no fingerprints or dentals and how DNA is progressing.

Yeah, I'd hoped that would tell us something.
If I have time, I will go back to the database I started making of games Dolphins played back then.

It would be nice to know if there was a logo on the back because according to the expert I spoke to, that would date the shirt. I was hoping he could date it with the shoulder stripes.

Do you think there are any other questions that need to be put forward?
I was thinking perhaps:

Is there a photo of the tattoo or what did the tattoo look like?
did the silver chain have any unique features?
Has the metal plate manufactured by Synthes ever attempted to be tracked down to a particular hospital (sometimes they have numerical numbers on them and are recorded on a patients record).
Did the UID have any moles or scars that you are aware of?

As I am new to all this I presume it would be best to start with the basics re DNA etc and then in a follow up email maybe ask about the rest...any thoughts greatly appreciated

Pearly

I'm new too, it appears there probably won't be much done because she's thought to have tried to rob someone.

Would be nice to have an email addy for Detective Eddie Barton

I posted to the journal I linked to above, will see if the gal will come and tell us what she knows about Jane (if she can).

She posted back. This is what she said

I don't know that I have much to add, I only saw her skull while I was in a forensic anthropology training session at the University of Tennessee. She wasn't literally shot point-blank straight on, IIRC the entry wound was towards the left side of her head as if she had started to turn away from the shotgun. The skull was pretty well shattered, as you would expect from such a close-range shotgun wound. Aside from that, I don't know much more about the case than what has already been listed on the Doe Network. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'd like to see this case solved and give her a name just as much as all of you.

Any extra information is a help so thats great.

I was thinking of contacting the ME listed on her indivudual case report as I believe she may be able to tell us information regarding the DNA fingerprints and dentals.

Should I email her today do you think?

Any extra information is a help so thats great.

I was thinking of contacting the ME listed on her indivudual case report as I believe she may be able to tell us information regarding the DNA fingerprints and dentals.

Should I email her today do you think?

I'd like to see that happen.
I don't know who should do it; one of us or the original poster

Here is a list of the possible matches to our UID in what i hope is an easy to compare document and once we get in contact with LE/ME we can start to make more progress....does anyone think we have any potential matches?

Pearly

Attachments

• UID possibles.doc
    163 KB · Views: 43
Unclaimed, unnamed
Law enforcement agencies face startling numbers and staggering odds to identify young female 'Jane Does'
ANSLEY HAMAN, hamana@knews.com
Sunday, May 20, 2007

JELLICO, Tenn. - Nameless and faceless, her decomposing body appeared in Detective Eddie Barton's mind each time he drove along Stinking Creek Road.
He'd tick off the details to himself: Black female younger than 40. No scars. No tattoos.

One gunshot wound to the head. Stab wounds. A discolored line about the width of a wedding band on one finger.

Found Oct. 25, 1998, by a man collecting soda cans.

That's all Barton, now retired, knew about her. That's all Campbell County Sheriff's Department detectives know today.

But they haven't forgotten the woman now buried in a Campbell County graveyard marked "Unknown."

Referred to by investigators as "Jane Doe No. 2," she is one of the untold unidentified and unclaimed bodies found by law enforcement agencies in Tennessee.

Some are murder victims. Some appear to be homeless. Most turn out to be from out of town.

At least 15 of those men and women found over the past three decades in East Tennessee remain unidentified. The bodies are in graves, morgues and at the University of Tennessee Forensic Anthropology Center.

Nobody, including the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, keeps an official, exact number. No central database exists. The state doesn't require agencies to report missing adults and unidentified remains.

When the unidentified bodies at UT are added to those buried or cremated by local agencies, there may be more than 100 Tennessee cases.

"It's very startling, if you do a graph of this: You've got lots and lots of young females," said Lee Meadows Jantz, coordinator of the UT Forensic Anthropology Center, of data entered into the FBI's National Crime Information Center, or NCIC.

Young males are more frequently killed in acts of violence, such as street fighting. Those bodies are generally fresh and more easily identifiable, Jantz said.

Often victims of abduction, dead females are hidden or left to the elements, she said. Then they decompose and become difficult to identify. Older men, many of whom are transient, also appear in unidentified body lists.

Local agencies often fend for themselves in identifying the dead. Most area police departments don't have a homicide squad or cold case unit. And there is little interagency communication, Barton said.

Though police officers work diligently for the first few months on a case, a lack of leads usually makes a Doe secondary to other investigations, authorities said.

Family members of a missing adult sometimes call to inquire about a possible match. Volunteer Web sleuths also try to make connections. Forensic anthropologists and artists volunteer their expertise.

But making the pieces fit takes time, said Oak Ridge Police Department Detective Sgt. Louis Leopper.

Years after his retirement, Barton still carries a folder filled with tips, exhausted leads and communications about his old, unidentified cases.

"These cases, they're like a cancer kind of eating at you," he said.

Following are stories of some of East Tennessee's unclaimed dead.

Five Jane Does in Campbell County It's been almost a decade without any breaks in the case of Campbell County's Jane Doe No. 2.

Where to start?

How about a name.

"You have to have an identity to have a starting point," Barton said. "Unless you have somebody with a conscience walk in there."

After she was found, Barton and his coworkers drafted fliers and sent them to other law enforcement agencies, organized a facial reconstruction, voluntarily entered her information into NCIC and listed the body on nonprofit Web sites that seek to match those known to be missing with unidentified bodies.

Family members of missing black women called. Web sleuths offered possible matches. Officers investigated the potential identities.

None matched.

No. 2's file is not the only one Barton keeps.

Since the mid-1980s, at least five unidentified females have been found in the county of about 40,000 residents. Many were found along I-75 between Jellico and Caryville, an isolated stretch of road.

One, a young redhead, was found in the mid-1980s along a straightaway. The bones of a girl also were unearthed in 1985.

Barton keeps records on another woman once known as "Jane Doe No. 1." More than 10 years ago she was found strangled, stabbed and dumped on an I-75 exit ramp

A nonprofit group, the Doe Network, put Campbell authorities in touch with their counterparts in El Paso, Texas. In March the woman was identified as Ada Elena Torres Smith.

Finding her identity broke the Smith case open again, said Capt. Don Farmer with the Campbell County Sheriff's Office.

Farmer and Barton think the murders of Smith and Jane Doe No. 2 may be connected. They were found a little more than a mile apart near Stinking Creek Road in consecutive years.

'Lady of the Lake' About two miles downstream from Clark Center Park on Melton Hill Lake, two fishermen found a woman's body floating beneath an undercut bank on March 6, 2000.

Leopper, of the Oak Ridge Police Department, calls the woman estimated to be in her 20s the "Lady of the Lake."

She drowned.

Leopper believes it was murder.

He has a theory about how it happened.

He thinks the woman, who stood about 5 feet, 9 inches, may have frequented truck stops. Dental records showed she may have worn braces and frequented a dentist.

Leopper believes she "was picked up or abducted by a local individual."

She may have then been drowned in Melton Hill Lake. Police believe her body was underwater for a few weeks before the fishermen found her.

But there is no way to know for sure until someone comes forward with evidence or officers make a positive ID.

Her dental records and fingerprints may help give her a name, Leopper said. The details are in the NCIC database, but that does not ensure she will be matched with a missing adult. It takes time and narrow search criteria.

"Until you hit that right keystroke, you'll never know who that person is," Leopper said.

Mile marker 44 Detective Capt. John Huffine of the Greene County Sheriff's Department is waiting for an NCIC entry to produce a fruitful lead on an unidentified body dumped more than 20 years ago along Interstate 81. She was left at mile marker 44.

TBI assisted with the 1985 case. The girl, estimated to be in her teens, was four to six weeks pregnant. Her hair was tinted red.

She died of head trauma.

Her naked body was found about the same time as the red-haired Campbell County Jane Doe. Some thought their cases might be connected, but the ties were never proven. Neither has been identified.

Huffine was a senior in high school when authorities began the investigation, but he's worked during his tenure to spread the word about the case.

The girl's dental record is in NCIC, her information is listed on nonprofit Web sites, and Huffine presented the case to the Regional Organized Crime Information Center, which connects participating local agencies.

"It's not as frustrating as if it had been a local homicide," Huffine said. "It's a homicide that happened somewhere else."

She may have been a runaway or someone estranged from her family, he said.

"Nobody's reported her," he said. "Otherwise, she would have been identified."

Under the tramway She may have walked out beneath Gatlinburg's Aerial Tramway, taken a seat beneath a tree and passed out. About a month later her decomposing body was found by someone taking a shortcut to a Cove Mountain chalet.

"It appears that she sat down next to a tree and just expired," said Detective Tim Williams of the Gatlinburg Police Department.

Since Dec. 22, 1974, authorities have been chasing leads on the identity of the woman who stood 5 feet, 7 inches and weighed about 140 pounds.

There was no evidence of trauma, he said. Her sweater and coat were folded neatly next to her.

She wore dark blue, Mayer-Land-Marquis pants (size extra-large) and a white, short-sleeved shirt with a yellow flower print.

Officers never found a purse or a wallet that could have held a driver's license or a library card with her name.

Though no fingerprints could be taken from her badly decomposed body, the department worked hard on the case at the time, keeping good records, Williams said.

"When this was new, there was a lot of effort put into it," he said.

The department entered the details into NCIC and chased numerous leads.

"We go for years with nothing, and then we'll get leads all at one time," he said.

He's had about four tips in the 10 years he's been a detective.

"Prior to that, there were dozens of eliminations," he said.

'Shotgun female' Around 2:30 a.m. June 1, 1987, a 12-gauge shotgun slug blew through the front door of a North Knox County home, ripping the face off a woman raising a ruckus on the porch.

Knox County Sheriff's Office authorities speculated at the time that the unidentified woman and two male accomplices were attempting to trick and rob the resident on Jim Sterchi Road by faking a fight outside her front door.

The woman kicked the door, awakening the resident and a visitor. The resident called police and fired one shot from a shotgun when the woman attempted to open a screen door.

The two men were caught. But they were unable to identify the woman. They said they had picked her up at a Greene County rest stop just before the shooting.

Jantz, of the UT Forensic Anthropology Center, said she and her colleagues dubbed the dead woman "Shotgun Female."

The case is archived in Sheriff's Office records, and spokeswoman Martha Dooley said the department follows up on all leads on the woman's identity.

A UT forensic anthropology student generated a computer reconstruction of the woman in the early 1990s.

Ansley Haman may be reached at 865-342-6341. K

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/May/20/unclaimed-unnamed

Yeah, I'd hoped that would tell us something.
If I have time, I will go back to the database I started making of games Dolphins played back then.

It would be nice to know if there was a logo on the back because according to the expert I spoke to, that would date the shirt. I was hoping he could date it with the shoulder stripes.

I'm new too, it appears there probably won't be much done because she's thought to have tried to rob someone.

Would be nice to have an email addy for Detective Eddie Barton

Here is an email addy for Lee Jantz at University of Tennessee at Knoxville, I think this is the forensics examiner/anthropologist: ljantz@utk.edu
and you could probably direct an email to Detective Barton here: homicide@knoxsheriff.org
Hope this helps!

My thoughts on this case...... I don't believe the Jane Doe was trying to rob those people, I believe she was trying to get away from her attackers (the males arrested) and they made up that story to cover up what they were actually doing, I think they abducted her from the truck stop and she managed to escape and run from them, she just happened to go to the wrong house for help, JMO! :sick:

Jeremiah 29:11-14

Here is an email addy for Lee Jantz at University of Tennessee at Knoxville, I think this is the forensics examiner/anthropologist: ljantz@utk.edu
and you could probably direct an email to Detective Barton here: homicide@knoxsheriff.org
Hope this helps!
Helps very much thankyou I might unless anyone else is willing or wants to, contact both of these people over the weekend and see what information they have to share with us.

My thoughts on this case...... I don't believe the Jane Doe was trying to rob those people, I believe she was trying to get away from her attackers (the males arrested) and they made up that story to cover up what they were actually doing, I think they abducted her from the truck stop and she managed to escape and run from them, she just happened to go to the wrong house for help, JMO! :sick:

My thoughts are exactly the same with respect to why she approached the house I am sure that she had nothing to do with these men and that she was merely trying to get away from them (again in my opinion)....so sad for all involved if this is the case especially our JD

Pearly

I have contacted LE today so will keep you informed as to the answers I get hopefully we will know more soon about our UID

Roselvr I asked about the Dolphins logo on the back of the shirt also

Pearly:dance::dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500