Identified! TN - Knoxville, BlkMale skeletal UP1581, 31-40, Jan'82 - Howard Hardin

In response to some of your questions:

I think the decay in the teeth is a sign of homelessness and just not having the money to take care of them. We really don’t have much at all to go off of with him. We think he had been there about 6-8 months before he was found.

P

The area he was found in is still pretty rural. I can only assume it was more so 30 years ago. In my opinion, someone would have to be familiar with that area to have placed the individual there. I think he could have been a local and was never reported missing.

The area he was found in is still pretty rural. I can only assume it was more so 30 years ago. In my opinion, someone would have to be familiar with that area to have placed the individual there. I think he could have been a local and was never reported missing.

Link to location: (2200 Clear Springs Road, Mascot, TN if this doesn't go right to it)

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...=us&ei=trgEUPfmGIKa9gTU4vXhBw&ved=0CAUQ8gEwAA

Is that a rock quarry or water treatment area across the street?

PaulaH,

The area from what I have heard in other people's post was pretty rural. The location he was found was someone's property (they had just moved in and were touring it).

I have/am asking my contact if the previous owners were suspected of being involved and whether they may have seen unusual activity in the area around that time.

Pearly,

Can you ask your contact about William Hamilton? Only one of his pictures is clear and there is not very much information for him.

If he isn't a local, this gentleman could be from anywhere as two major freeways, I-75 and I-40 run right through Knox County.

Pearly,

Can you ask your contact about William Hamilton? Only one of his pictures is clear and there is not very much information for him.

If he isn't a local, this gentleman could be from anywhere as two major freeways, I-75 and I-40 run right through Knox County.

PaulaH,

I mentioned both William Hamilton and Charles in my correspondence to my contact regarding this UID. Will let you know when I hear back :)

My contact has informed me that basically what you see on Namus and Doe Network is all the information they have on the case i.e. not alot!

QuoteThe bullet was too deformed to do anything with and as for the land owner he had not owned the property that long. He was walking the property looking for fence post when he discovered the unidentified remains. I think it freaked him out so bad that he sold the property 1 month later.

Further the land owner (who bought the house and found the UID) was checked out thoroughly.

Quote As for Charles Stanley, I have already looked at him along with several others. I can’t rule them out since they don’t have a NamUs case and no DNA available to do a comparison. I have requested that a NamUs case be built for several of them but he agencies haven’t been receptive to working a 30 year old case. William Hamilton is excludes based off of DNA, doesn’t match.

I have replied to let her know that Charles Stanley does in fact have a Namus page (maybe it is new) so hopefully we can officially rule both him and William out.

Will keep everyone updated on progress.

P

Thank you for the info. My guess is that he is a local given the location of the remains.

Smithsonian sheds new light on Knox County cold cases - After years of no new information, the Knox County Sheriff's Office has new leads on two cold cases, thanks to the help of the Smithsonian.

In January, the Smithsonian used their new isotopes testing to give investigators a more specific area to search. They've been studying the victims' teeth for more than six weeks....

"The water that you drink, the food that you eat, the air that you breathe help create the enamel in your tooth when you are developing as a child," she said. The test on the enamel narrowed down the area where the two grew up. ..

...In 1982, the man's body was found in a wooded lot near Mascot Road.

...The test results and media exposure have lead to new leads in the unidentified man's case, but due to the investigation details cannot be released.

Apparently; he's been ID'd
Changes to NamUs UP # 1581
The following fields have been changed:
Case Information : Status changed from "Unidentified" to "Identified"

There is NO news story as of yet; I will put a link up if one shows up. Via a Doe network FB friend. Will PM Carl the full version.

Unidentified Homicide Victim Identified through DNA

A Knoxville man who was killed 32 years ago, but never identified, now has a name. He is Howard Hardin, who was 30 years old at the time of his disappearance. His skeletal remains were found in 1982, in an East Knox County field, the victim of a homicide. Through recent media reports, the family realized that he might be their relative and contacted the Knox County Sheriff’s Office. The mystery was solved when his family submitted DNA and it was a 100% match.

Hardin was reported missing to the Knoxville Police Department by his then girlfriend, Linda Gaile Cole, when he failed to return to his Linden Avenue apartment on January 17, 1981. His remains were discovered almost a year later on January 12, 1982 in an area off Clear Springs Road and Arnold Lane when the property owner found them under some brush. A forensic examination of the remains showed that the victim had been shot in the head, execution style, with a small caliber pistol. Obvious attempts had also been made to conceal the body at the scene.

DNA evidence helps Knox County Sheriff's Office ID 1982 murder victim

Knoxville deputies have identified the man whose body was found in an East Knox County field in 1982.

DNA evidence has confirmed the body to be that of Howard Hardin, who was 30 at the time of his death.

Hardin's family came forward several months ago after seeing a report in a local newspaper about an effort to identify his remains.

Hardin's body was found on January 12, 1982, in an area off of Clear Springs Road and Arnold Lane when the property owner found his skeletal remains under some brush.

A forensic investigation found that Hardin had been shot in the head execution style with a small caliber pistol. Obvious attempts had also been made to conceal the body.

Hardin was originally reported missing almost a year earlier on January 17, 1981 by his then-girlfriend, Linda Gaile Cole, when he failed to return to his Linden Avenue apartment .

Over the years, Knoxville deputies took several steps to find the identity of his body through a missing persons database and even by working with anthropologists to reconstruct his cranium and create age regression images of him.

Perfect match: Technology, newspaper article, luck solve mystery of remains

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/23/a-perfect-match-technology-newspaper-article-of/

The article really ripped my heart out. Can't imagine what the family is going thru.

Now that the pieces are coming together... How was there a missing person's report but no one ever checked? Where has it been? They have it now.

Perfect match: Technology, newspaper article, luck solve mystery of remains

Dobbs pulled the missing person report filed on Hardin and confirmed the clothes found with the remains matched those last seen on Hardin by his girlfriend, Linda Gaile Cole.

“Once I had a name, I could start pulling all the pieces together,” Dobbs Sadi.

Dobbs said she has interviewed Cole as part of the now active investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back