TN TN - Michael Hearon, 51, Happy Valley, 23 Aug 2008

I can't imagine how he could get lost on his own family property!

Well it is a large piece of land but I don't think he got lost on it. Especially since the ATV was found a mile away. I wonder if he took it out himself or perhaps gave chase to someone he happened upon at the property when he drove up... or maybe someone did something to him or took him off the property and took the ATV out to make it appear that he had ridden it off the property. Baffling.

...makes you
wonder about his property and if anyone wants it for big development...as in motives to make him "disapear".....neva know
bluestarzz

From the google map it does appear to be a lovely piece of land. Valuable, I'm sure.

A total of $15,000 is now being offered for information leading to the location of a missing Blount County man, last seen leaving his Tallassee home on an ATV.
Micahel Hearon has been missing since August 23, when neighbors saw him leave his home on the ATV. The ATV was found August 26, but it offered no clue on Hearon's location.
The Blount County Sheriff's Office announced Tuesday that anonymous donors have contributed $10,000 to add to the $5,000 the sheriff's office was already offering.
Investigators hope it will generate new leads in the case.
Anyone with information can call the Criminal Investigation Division between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 273-5001, or the 24-hour hotline at 273-5200. To eligible for the reward, callers must provide name and contact information.
bluestarzz

A total of $15,000 is now being offered for information leading to the location of a missing Blount County man, last seen leaving his Tallassee home on an ATV.
Micahel Hearon has been missing since August 23, when neighbors saw him leave his home on the ATV. The ATV was found August 26, but it offered no clue on Hearon's location.
The Blount County Sheriff's Office announced Tuesday that anonymous donors have contributed $10,000 to add to the $5,000 the sheriff's office was already offering.
Anyone with information can call the Criminal Investigation Division between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 273-5001, or the 24-hour hotline at 273-5200. To eligible for the reward, callers must provide name and contact information.
bluestarzz

Do you have a link to the story?

Eveyone is shocked that this happened , mike did not live here , he owned land here and his mother,father ,brother aunts ,uncles and cousins live here , You see this is a place much like Cades cove was years ago ,almost everyone is family . some outsiders have moved here in the past few years ,but most are still the same families that have been here for more that a 150 years and they are the most hard working ,church going people in the world . I don't known who told you that about the valley but it could not be farther from the truth . if you or anyone else every needed help in anyway just hope you are in Happy valley , because the people here still care and help everyone .

i agree genini, i don't live in happy valley, but i live in east tn. i know of valley's that are generation after generation of the same families. people in east tn that are live that are hard working, honest, church going people.
bluestarzz

This settles for me the question in my mind of whether Michael took the ATV out or someone else - since neighbors saw him leave the property on it.

Thanks for the article bluestarzz.

bluestarzz

Okay, I may sound like a whack job, but I thought long and hard before I decided to post this. I read about this case, and the case of Randy Marion. The one thing they had in common were ATVs that they were allegedly riding. Now, this is where it gets a bit hairy.

Happy Valley probably is a lovely place with friendly, helpful people. It is also most likely a place where people do take care of things in their own way. The two would not be inconcistent. I believe the people of Happy Valley (at least some of them) may know more than they're telling, because:

The use of snares is a time-tested method of procuring game, the American Indians used it, and in today's economy it might almost be a necessity for some people. A snare set at the height for a deer would, in my opinion, be just about right to catch the head of an ATV rider. Once snared the rider would most likely strangle, if not have his/her head taken clean off due to the forward motion of the ATV. Some snares are set to lift the prey animal off the ground and this would account for dogs not picking up any scent. Also, the people setting these snares would check them quite regularly, most likely before there was a general alarm sounded. Naturally, if a man is found in a snare, no one is going to come forward and admit to having set an illegal snare and killing a man.

Secondly, I remember several years ago, the finer points of who, when, and where escapes me, BUT, there was an ATV involved, and a missing man. Now, I'm not totally sure, but either the ATV or the missing man was found on top of a telephone pole. Go figure. What I'm trying to say here is - LOOK UP. Most people don't ever look up and I'll just betcha there's more corpses hidden in the trees than one might expect.

well, that sounds perfectly aweful. so people that set snares are hoping to catch what? deer?
bluestarzz
in middle tn a while back, i remember some atv riders going missing, an old irate man killed them for riding near or on his property, but this property sounds like it belongs to michael, not sure, but what i got from the most
recent news post.

Blackwatch, I think you have a pretty good point about looking up. You're right, it's more often we're looking down.

The ATV was found "in high gear on a steep hill and ignition switch left on" in a location his two sons say their father didn't visit frequently.

Just wanted to add that the reward for information has been increased to $15,000 due to an anonymous contribution of $10,000.

Anyone with any information on Hearon's disappearance is encouraged to call the Blount County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigation Division between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 273-5001, or the 24-hour Crime Hotline at 273-5200. To be eligible for any reward, individuals reporting information must be willing to give their name and contact information.

I'm praying Michael will be found.

Hello, I read what's been posted to date and tried to summarize the info by date/time. Also attached is map of area from Google Earth showing Bell Branch Road/Hearon Rd and Happy Valley Loop areas. Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Sat, Aug 23rd

· 9:30AM: Mike calls Andy to say he was borrowing lawn mower; Matt got voicemail saying same thing.
· AM: Matt and Andy said one of their dad's best friends also talked to him that morning, with no sense of anything being wrong.
· AM: Andy passes his dad on Gateway Rd as he was returning home. Mike had mower and was heading toward East Lamar Alexander Parkway.
· Around lunchtime: Neighbors see Mike pulling into neighborhood
· 30 Min Later: Two people reported seeing Mike on a 4-wheeler and said he waved as he drove down Bell Branch Road. That was the last time he was seen.

Sun, Aug 24th
· 2PM – Mike’s mother calls Matt asking if they heard from him

Mon, Aug 25th
· 8:30AM – Mike’s mother calls Matt/Andy again
· Andy checks Mike’s condo on Brown Court off Amerine Road (Amerine Rd is near Gateway Road). Two of their dad's three vehicles, a car and a motorcycle, were still in the garage. His bed was made and the lights were off.
· Mike’s mother checks the Bell Branch Road residence, where his father had seen Mike's truck earlier that weekend while passing through.
· Mike’s mother reports truck still there and mower attached – lawn wasn’t mowed.
· Andy/Matt drive to residence.
· Windows of Mike’s truck down, doors unlocked, and Mike’s keys, ID clip, money and cell phone still in vehicle.
· Mike’s truck parked in a position he would not have normally left it in because a bus parked on the property and Mike always moved the truck before the bus came. (Note: someone posted a comment under a news article that the bus is always parked in a particular spot there on Friday evenings, so not sure if the bus was usually gone by Saturday)
· Matt/Andy realize 4 wheeler was missing from property.
· Matt/Andy search 100 acre property, driving all ATV trails and checking the campground
· 3-4PM: Matt/Andy called National Park Service who transferred to Blount County Sheriff’s Office to file a missing person report.
· 6-7PM: Authorities begin to arrive at residence. Talk to Mike’s friends in neighborhood and try to pick up scent with K-9, but unable to track him.
· Agree to meet next AM to search. In the meantime, it begins to rain.

Tues, Aug 26th
· ATV found by Mike’s friend who just happened to be checking the area near Happy Valley Loop, about a mile from Hearon's house. Andy said it was found in a location that his dad did not frequently visit.
· 4-wheeler found in a high gear on a steep hill and the ignition switch was left on -- which Andy and Matt said their dad never left on. There was no evidence found around the ATV.

Oct 16th article:
· An extensive five-day search was conducted by authorities, emergency personnel, and volunteers (including helicopters and cadaver dogs) but Mike Hearon was not located and no other clues to his disappearance have been found.
· Andy and Matt said they now feel "helpless" and are not sure where to look for their dad.
· They said the sheriff's office has investigated some "points of interest," but nothing concrete has been found.

Attachments

• Hearon.jpg
    Hearon.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 116
· Mike is/was married to Beth E. Hearon, age 50. Not sure if were still together or not.
· Mike was son Andrew’s best man at Andrew’s wedding on May 31, 2008 http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080810/CEL1/508727365/0/cel
· Mike owns Michael Hearon Builders, single family house construction
· Michael Hearon Builders is listed on Bell Branch Rd, Tallassee, TN and there is also a listing in Greenback, TN (NE of Maryville). Company Profile: http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_76ktkw
· Both Mike’s sons (Andy and Matt) work with him as licensed contractors
· There is also a Robert Hearon Builders listed on Walker School Rd in Maryville; is this Mike’s father? http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_738w8d)
· There is a Hearon Rd off Bell Branch Rd (seen on Google Earth and Mapquest)
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Tallassee&state=TN&address=%5B6700-6799%5D+Hearon+Rd&zipcode=37878&country=US&latitude=35.60075&longitude=-83.95575&geocode=STREET
· Mike has 100 acres of property; Mike worked outdoors a lot
· There were ATV trails and a campground in the area
· There do not seem to be many homes in the area of Hearon Road/Bell Branch Road (per Google Earth)
· No cell phone coverage in the Bell Branch Rd area
· Mike also owns condo on Brown Court off Amerine Rd – Mike stayed 3-4 nights a week at condo to be close to work
· Mike owned a truck, a car, a motorcycle, and 2 4-wheelers (car and motorcycle were at condo)
· Sons say Mike was social, got along with everyone, no known enemies, not depressed, good all around guy; liked to vacation, ride 4 wheelers, motorcycles

1. Is Mike still married to Beth? Where was she on Sat, Aug 23rd?
  2. Was he on good terms with all neighbors?
  3. Did he stop anywhere after he picked up the mower from his son’s house?
  4. Were the 2 people who saw him on the ATV the same neighbors who saw him pulling into neighborhood around lunchtime?
  5. Were there any problems with his business?
  6. Did he own a gun and if yes, was it accounted for?
  7. Was there ever any trouble on the land he owned?
  8. There is a Hearon Rd off Bell Branch Rd. Is that where his home is located, his business, or both?
  9. Does he have a long driveway up to his house? Where exactly was the trucked parked? Where did he usually park it?
  10. Who parks a bus on his property and why does it get parked there? (Note: someone posted a comment under a news article that the bus is always parked in a particular spot there on Friday evenings)
  11. Did anyone else live on the property? Were there any animals/pets on the property?
  12. What did Mike do Friday night? Did he stay at the condo or at the Bell Branch Rd residence Fri night?
  13. Was it unusual for him to leave his truck with windows down, unlocked with his keys, wallet, ID, cell phone, etc. in the truck on his property?
  14. If he was concerned about something or thought there was danger, would he have left his truck unlocked with his wallet in it? Would he have waved to a neighbor?
  15. Was it normal for him to go down Bell Branch Road on the ATV?
  16. Was it common for him to meet with his friends in the area to go 4 wheeling?
  17. If he borrowed the mower and arrived around lunchtime, why didn’t he mow the lawn after arriving home instead of going out on the 4 wheeler?
  18. Did he see something on his property on the return home that he wanted to go check out on the ATV?
  19. Where did his parents live? What time did his father drive by that weekend and what did he see?

cloudajo,
very good time line and observation. i wish we could get the blount co department to answer your questions.
i don't know michael personally. this is just a case that is close to home for me and grabbed my attention. none of it makes any sense as to what could have happened to him. none of it. just from what i have read, i suspect foul play, this guy had too much going for him :(
bluestarzz
bumping for micheal herron

By all accounts Michael seems to be "one of the good guys"... it's just infuriating when something like this happens to one of the good guys!

I went back and re-read an article or two to see if *wallet* was stated specifically. From what I can see it wasn't. They mention money, id clip, etc. but don't specifically say *wallet*. I'm wondering if his wallet is indeed missing and if they've checked for any credit card or possible bank (atm) transactions.

Sigh... where is Michael!

By all accounts Michael seems to be "one of the good guys"... it's just infuriating when something like this happens to one of the good guys!

I went back and re-read an article or two to see if *wallet* was stated specifically. From what I can see it wasn't. They mention money, id clip, etc. but don't specifically say *wallet*. I'm wondering if his wallet is indeed missing and if they've checked for any credit card or possible bank (atm) transactions.

Sigh... where is Michael!

Yes, thank you, I made a mistake with "wallet."

Yeah, where is he???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member