GUILTY TN - NBA Star Lorenzen Wright, 34, Collierville, 18 July 2010 *Arrests*

I wonder if he had life insurance. Sometimes the courts will order life insurance to benefit the kids, and sometimes the ex if you can believe that one. I remember a case where a guy tried to tell the judge he was putting a bullseye on his back by making him take out life insurance to benefit his ex-wife. Sure enough the guy was executed a few years later, but LE could never prove his ex-wife was behind it.

I wonder if he had life insurance. Sometimes the courts will order life insurance to benefit the kids, and sometimes the ex if you can believe that one. I remember a case where a guy tried to tell the judge he was putting a bullseye on his back by making him take out life insurance to benefit his ex-wife. Sure enough the guy was executed a few years later, but LE could never prove his ex-wife was behind it.

I don't know anything about the life insurance involved here, but Sherra's attorney has been quoted saying that it would have been against her client's best interest to have Lorenzen dead because their debts would more than wipe out any insurance that they had. She has raised this point in the defense of Ms. Wright against the mounting suspicions against her. Time will tell, I suppose. Public sentiment locally seems to be very much against Ms Wright at this point.

This is very interesting. The statements from the Germantown 911 dispatchers are linked in that article. After reading them, I think what I am getting is that because Lorenzen's call appeared to be out of their jurisdiction, and due to limitations in technology they couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, and compounding that fact was that it was an out of state area code (and there were times where calls from other states were somehow picked up by their equipment) - they assumed it was one of those long distance calls picked up by their equipment in error. Whew... But then they talk about being able to know the longitude and latitude of the tower that it pinged???? So I am a little confused. I'm not quite sure if they had the location of tower or not - which would have told them was in southeast Memphis very close to Germantown. I guess even that information would not have been very helpful to Memphis police at that time, depending on how large an area is covered by a cell phone tower. Interesting. Seems like a number of complications interacted here.

ETA - one of those statements says the call came in at 12:05 am, when Sherra claims he did not leave her house until 2:00 that morning.

Thanks to all of you for participating at WS.

When you quote from another online source, please quote only 10% (maximum) of an article and then provide the link. Anything more than that is a copyright infringement.

Thanks!

Hoppy
mod

Any news on any suspects to date? I could not locate any and have been following the story? To date, it appears he owed the ex-wife tons of cash so it would not be to her advantage to take him out, unless of course she was to get the insurance money but I have not found out anything on that either.

Goz

As many as 12 gunshots could be heard on that call, sources have told The Commercial Appeal, but investigators were not notified about it for eight days.

Once they were, information from cell towers was used to quickly locate Wright's body in a wooded area near Hacks Cross and Winchester roads in Southeast Memphis.

The longitude and latitude indicated it was outside of Germantown's jurisdiction and Woods was not able to pinpoint it because of limitations on equipment.
When asked whether she typically informed patrol in those situations, she said: "No, 'cause it wasn't in our -- according to the latitude and longitude it wasn't in our jurisdiction."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/03/wright-911-call-beyond-tracing/?partner=yahoo_feeds

If it isn't in their jurisdiction then why on earth are they getting the 911 call. You hear 12 gunshots and don't follow through to find out what happened. WTH

There seems to be a contradiction in his ex-wife's (SW) timeline. Her statement about when Lorenzen left her house doesn't fit with the time the 911 call was received. She was interviewed by investigators when it was still a missing persons case and gave a time when Lorenzen left her house. It turns out the 911 call was made before the time she said Lorenzen left. I'm not sure exactly where Lorenzen's body was found but it was 15 miles south of Memphis which is definitely not close to SW's house in Collierville, east of the city.

Her attorney says that she is not going to talk to investigators.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-ex-wife-will-not-talk-to-police-story,0,4771914.story

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/03/wright-911-call-beyond-tracing/?partner=yahoo_feeds

If it isn't in their jurisdiction then why on earth are they getting the 911 call. You hear 12 gunshots and don't follow through to find out what happened. WTH

The way I understood it from the 911 dispatch statements, it happens fairly frequently that they receive calls from outside their jurisdiction, sometimes from very far away. They said they had received them from as far away as Illinois. (And I agree with you - WTH!! It is scary to know how the system can malfunction!) And since his cell phone had an Atlanta area code, they probably thought this was another one of those. The sad thing is that they actually did have the longitude and latitude of the call, but could not google it on the internet because internet access there had been banned because of an employee who had been shopping for purses online. If they had been able to google the coordinates, they would have been able to find out in a matter of seconds that they call was from the Memphis side of the Memphis/Germantown border. I'm from the area and can tell you that, while it is a fairly nice section of town, there is a lot of crime that occurs in that area.

Any news on any suspects to date? I could not locate any and have been following the story? To date, it appears he owed the ex-wife tons of cash so it would not be to her advantage to take him out, unless of course she was to get the insurance money but I have not found out anything on that either.

Goz

MPD has been fairly tight lipped. Nothing new has trickled out over the last couple of days. Speculation locally still implicates Sherra, and I don't really hear much else. There is going to be a public memorial service for him today a the FedEx Forum, the basketball arena that both the Grizzlies and the University of Memphis Tigers play in.

There seems to be a contradiction in his ex-wife's (SW) timeline. Her statement about when Lorenzen left her house doesn't fit with the time the 911 call was received. She was interviewed by investigators when it was still a missing persons case and gave a time when Lorenzen left her house. It turns out the 911 call was made before the time she said Lorenzen left. I'm not sure exactly where Lorenzen's body was found but it was 15 miles south of Memphis which is definitely not close to SW's house in Collierville, east of the city.

Her attorney says that she is not going to talk to investigators.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-ex-wife-will-not-talk-to-police-story,0,4771914.story

There is definitely a contradiction in the timeline. She claimed he left the house at 2:00 in the morning, but in the dispatch statement they said the call was placed at 12:05 that morning. Looking at the dispatch statement, I wonder if they didn't make a mistake by not redacting the time the call was placed. They redacted a lot of information seemingly less relevant than that!

Lorenzen's body was actually found in Memphis, basically the best way I can describe it to you is that it was at a place on the border with Germantown and only a couple of miles, if that, to Collierville. I don't know exactly where Sherra's house was in Collierville, but it could potentially have been very close to where the body was left. There's a road called Winchester that runs from the south side of Collierville into Germantown and bisects Hacks Cross Road, where you would take a right to get to Callis Cut Off. Winchester is an easy drive at that stretch, not many red lights, and you could get from Collierville to Callis Cut Off (where Ren was found) VERY quickly.

First, I disagree that Collierville is 5 minutes or less from the place LW was found. I work at Hacks Cross and Winchester and often drive from there to Collierville and, depending on your destination its 15 minutes or more. Germantown and Collierville are close to one another if you happen to be on Poplar Avenue, but the shortest route from the crime scene to Collierville is Bill Morris Pkwy. It takes 15 minutes just to go from the crime scene to the Collierville city limits.

I am making a big deal about it because, given that the time of the 911 call was 12:05 if you back that up enough for him to be where he was, including walk time he would have left Sherra's house around 11:45PM.

By all accounts Sherra and Lorenzen had a poor relationship and if its true that he was behind BADLY on his child support I would surmise he had no reason to stay after the kids went to bed.

Can you remember if your kids went to bed at 11:45 or 2:AM. I don't confuse 11:45 with 2:00. So that's one lie she's told.

The story she told about the three armed men has a problem with it too.

Let's say you're Sherra, home with your six kids and 3 gunmen come to the door. Whether he was there or not I would suppose her answer to be NO. Were these 3 to dumb to know that? Why didn't they come in and look around??

Please refrain from posting rumors about this case. Thank you.

Ima

There is an interesting new article in the Commercial Appeal today. Sherra Wright apparently told police the Ren left her house at 10:30pm (instead of 2:00 am that she was reported to have said) that night with a "box of drugs" and cash, and made a call to an unknown person on a "tracphone" (not on his I phone, which he also had with him) before he left. She gave the police this info 5 days after he went missing.

Link http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/10/lorenzen-wright-last-seen-drugs-money-his-death/

There is an interesting new article in the Commercial Appeal today. Sherra Wright apparently told police the Ren left her house at 10:30pm (instead of 2:00 am that she was reported to have said) that night with a "box of drugs" and cash, and made a call to an unknown person on a "tracphone" (not on his I phone, which he also had with him) before he left. She gave the police this info 5 days after he went missing.

Link http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/10/lorenzen-wright-last-seen-drugs-money-his-death/

She's lying. Who uses the term "box of drugs"? Sherra has provided all the information that's out there, but its all hazy. He doesn't come into the house with a box of drugs, but he leaves with one??

Then there's the five or six mystery characters. Three men showed up at her door looking for Ren. She can't identify them. Someone unidentifiable drops him off and someone unidentifiable picks him up. He's making calls on two different phones, but she doesn't know who ANY of the people on the other line were.

Its hard to believe Ren was a major drug dealer in Memphis seeing that he lives in Atlanta. The poor guy had only been in town one day.

Millions in debt? Bankruptcy. Or simply do nothing. Wait for the insurance check to come in and cash it. Owing money isn't the same as HAVING to pay that money...

LE did leave her house with a couple of items, so she is suspect. As much as anything I think they were out there because of the fire that was blazing the night Lorenzen died. I know that's not what the search warrant says, but they spent and hour looking through the fire pit and left with pieces of charred metal.

I read today that he had $3,000 on him when the body was found. If I'm going to rip you off on a drug deal don't I also go through your pockets?

The killers cared more about his cell phone than they did his money...

:banghead:

There is definitely a contradiction in the timeline. She claimed he left the house at 2:00 in the morning, but in the dispatch statement they said the call was placed at 12:05 that morning. Looking at the dispatch statement, I wonder if they didn't make a mistake by not redacting the time the call was placed. They redacted a lot of information seemingly less relevant than that!

Lorenzen's body was actually found in Memphis, basically the best way I can describe it to you is that it was at a place on the border with Germantown and only a couple of miles, if that, to Collierville. I don't know exactly where Sherra's house was in Collierville, but it could potentially have been very close to where the body was left. There's a road called Winchester that runs from the south side of Collierville into Germantown and bisects Hacks Cross Road, where you would take a right to get to Callis Cut Off. Winchester is an easy drive at that stretch, not many red lights, and you could get from Collierville to Callis Cut Off (where Ren was found) VERY quickly.

We may disagree on how long it takes to get to one place to another, but I'm sure we can agree that 2AM isn't midnight. Its a major hole in the story.

You probably already know that she and her kids were evicted today. You can see it on the Commercial Appeal site.

She's lying. Who uses the term "box of drugs"? Sherra has provided all the information that's out there, but its all hazy. He doesn't come into the house with a box of drugs, but he leaves with one??

Then there's the five or six mystery characters. Three men showed up at her door looking for Ren. She can't identify them. Someone unidentifiable drops him off and someone unidentifiable picks him up. He's making calls on two different phones, but she doesn't know who ANY of the people on the other line were.

Its hard to believe Ren was a major drug dealer in Memphis seeing that he lives in Atlanta. The poor guy had only been in town one day.

Millions in debt? Bankruptcy. Or simply do nothing. Wait for the insurance check to come in and cash it. Owing money isn't the same as HAVING to pay that money...

LE did leave her house with a couple of items, so she is suspect. As much as anything I think they were out there because of the fire that was blazing the night Lorenzen died. I know that's not what the search warrant says, but they spent and hour looking through the fire pit and left with pieces of charred metal.

I read today that he had $3,000 on him when the body was found. If I'm going to rip you off on a drug deal don't I also go through your pockets?

The killers cared more about his cell phone than they did his money...

:banghead:

bbm.. one would think.... :waitasec:

We may disagree on how long it takes to get to one place to another, but I'm sure we can agree that 2AM isn't midnight. Its a major hole in the story.

You probably already know that she and her kids were evicted today. You can see it on the Commercial Appeal site.

Do you have a link for the eviction story? I can't find anything on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back