Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Moo.. naa it will not and should not haunt them. They are adults and that is the way they will remember this. Misadventure could of happened to any of them. They see each other as adults even if other people don't. They will grieve. ..moo
Five years ago, my granddaughter was with a group of kids while in high school and one kid was swept away in ocean undercurrent and she still thinks about it. Yes it could happen to any of them but it didn't and it happened to their friend. They may not share their thoughts of the incident but they will think about it. I guess it depends on how close they were to Riley

Five years ago, my granddaughter was with a group of kids while in high school and one kid was swept away in ocean undercurrent and she still thinks about it. Yes it could happen to any of them but it didn't and it happened to their friend. They may not share their thoughts of the incident but they will think about it. I guess it depends on how close they were to Riley
Completely understandable. And the way it usually goes.
From what Riley’s mom said, these boys were like family. I’m sure it will haunt them.

And on their individual personalities.

Updated Mar 25, 2024
[...]

The area in which Strain likely fell into the river (where he was last seen) is a steep embankment off Gay Street, near the James Robertson Parkway bridge. The fence has one lateral rail, leaving significant room for someone to slip under it. Beneath is also the spot where Riley’s bank card was found, closer to the riverbank.

The Nashville community, including the mayor, is pushing for change to make the streets near the river safer.

[...]

The day before Riley's body was pulled, Metro Nashville Fire rescued another man who fell into the water in that same area. Kupin said he’s already been in contact with city departments about getting immediate fencing up along the riverfront, while a more permanent solution is explored.

City leaders tell Fox 17 News they’re also looking into better lighting, signage, relocating transient people living on the hazardous riverbank, removing garbage left behind, and re-invigorating the riverfront.

[...]

Moo.. by the time I had aged to 20, 40 years ago. There had been many alcohol related car accidents, some resulting in death, n just deaths or jail. 10 years ago my son was in his 20, he lost friends also, misadventure and suicide. It is sad, unfair, and random, but friends deaths, are a part of life.
I truly hope none of the people he was with are haunted or feel responsible, because they are not responsible. Moo

Updated Mar 25, 2024
[...]

The area in which Strain likely fell into the river (where he was last seen) is a steep embankment off Gay Street, near the James Robertson Parkway bridge. The fence has one lateral rail, leaving significant room for someone to slip under it. Beneath is also the spot where Riley’s bank card was found, closer to the riverbank.

The Nashville community, including the mayor, is pushing for change to make the streets near the river safer.

[...]

The day before Riley's body was pulled, Metro Nashville Fire rescued another man who fell into the water in that same area. Kupin said he’s already been in contact with city departments about getting immediate fencing up along the riverfront, while a more permanent solution is explored.

City leaders tell Fox 17 News they’re also looking into better lighting, signage, relocating transient people living on the hazardous riverbank, removing garbage left behind, and re-invigorating the riverfront.

[...]
What a shame. One would think a city like Nashville would already have safety measures like this in place when there is a river involved, with treacherous terrain. JMO

Oh no. This popped up in my YouTube feed. Interview with Brian Entin and the family spokesperson Chris. No water was found in his lungs, and Riley’s boots, pants and wallet were not on his body when located.

not on his body when found but were those items located in the water? Could he have died just before hitting the water due to the head injury and his clothes and boots carried off his body by debris and/or tides? Yes.

This will just lead to so much wild and irresponsible speculation. Sorry for you, Riley, and those who love and care about you.

Oh no. This popped up in my YouTube feed. Interview with Brian Entin and the family spokesperson Chris. No water was found in his lungs, and Riley’s boots, pants and wallet were not on his body when located.

Yeah, in a certain percentage of drowning cases, water isn't found in the lungs. With shoes and pants getting waterlogged, coupled with the current, it doesn't bother me that they were missing. They've already said there were no signs of foul play after the preliminary autopsy results. The ME obviously wasn't concerned with this fact.

Yeah, in a certain percentage of drowning cases, water isn't found in the lungs. With shoes and pants getting waterlogged, coupled with the current, it doesn't bother me that they were missing. They've already said there were no signs of foul play after the preliminary autopsy results. The ME obviously wasn't concerned with this fact.
Of course this will open the floodgates to speculation about his being already dead when thrown into the water, and of being accosted.
(I must admit, that as a lay person, I don’t understand drowning without water in the lungs, or how jeans can slide off a body. But I trust those who have expertise).

This is from a couple days ago:

WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED FROM THE AUTOPSY ON RILEY STRAIN?
The 22-year-old’s body was pulled from the Cumberland river last Friday — two weeks after he disappeared in downtown Nashville.
Important to note: The final autopsy report is not complete.
But I am told the preliminary autopsy so far confirms what Metro police chief John Drake said — that there is no evidence of foul play.
I spoke with Dr. Feng Ling — Metro’s chief medical examiner — tonight.
He did not perform the autopsy.
But he said his staff would give the body a full examination looking for signs of trauma.
It’s not clear if the exam is complete.
He also said the final autopsy report will not be complete for a couple of weeks.
Toxicology testing will be done to check blood alcohol level and if there was the presence of any other drugs.
I asked Dr. Li if water was found in Riley’s lungs.
He say that does not tell you anything definitive.
Some have suggested that no water in the lungs would mean Riley was dead before a went into the river.
Dr. Li say no … and that Riley could have no water in his lungs even if he drowned.
I asked how?
He told me when a person struggles to breath underwater they can experience a reflex called a laryngeal spasm.
This spasm shuts off your airway, meaning you can no longer breathe.
When this happens and no water goes into your lungs, that's technically dry drowning.

BOTTOM LINE: At this point, still no evidence of foul play though that could change depending on full autopsy results.
But as things stand now there is no criminal investigation.
Again, thoughts and prayers to the Strain family — heartbreaking.
MORE TO COME.

So “authorities have ordered a second autopsy”.
Is this more poor wording from that news venue?

I’m definitely not a forensics expert, and as you said, waterlogged clothes may behave differently than non waterlogged clothes, but it just seems weird that pants could slip off a person over their boots. I can’t get my jeans off over sneakers and my jeans aren’t tight or the skinny leg kind. Maybe his pants or jeans were loose to begin with… but sliding off over boots if the body is bloating seems odd to me.

Since the family spokesperson did this interview, it sounds like they weren’t satisfied with the medical results and if this sort of thing is a normal occurrence, I hope another expert can assure them. Chris seemed focused in the interview on the person who heard the commotion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back