Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

They said they found him with "identifying effects" or something like that. Unless his father was actually there to ID him like people've speculated, he probably had his wallet with him. If the wallet was on the pocket of the pants, the pants were probably near him and were recovered. But I'm assuming that from the info we have, and I could be 100% wrong. You've heard how it goes about assuming things...

Never have I ever seen police ID someone so fast like when they found Riley, and it being based only on his watch and shirt doesn't fit. Could be someone else wearing it.
I've not seen anything saying his wallet, pants and boots were found near his body. Those things wouldn't all move at the same speed in the water, they likely would not stay with the body if peeled off by the current and everything wasn't likely to be peeled off by the current at exactly the same time.

Personally I doubt LE would have asked a family member to ID a body that had been in the water for weeks. I do agree the identification was fast. But his fairly distinctive shirt, watch, unusual height, and hair color were probably enough. Also it's possible LE had been told he was missing a tooth or had a gold crown far back in his mouth. (I'd think LE would have had dental charts on hand.) Or he could have had a birthmark LE knew about. Still, while it wasn't called a preliminary ID, it may have technically been one at the time it was announced it was Riley.
MOO

I don’t know why “dry drowning” was ever mentioned in the first place. It is not a medically accepted term which causes a lot of confusion and misunderstanding. That’s why I asked. Can anyone provide a reliable source on where it was mentioned pertaining to this case?
I don't know anything about it, never even heard of it until you posted it. So I had to see what it is.
Dry drowning can happen after you’ve fallen into water and have been taken out. After taking in water through the nose or mouth, the muscles in your windpipe can become constrained to protect your lungs.
That sort of sounds like how waterboarding works. Great, now I have another ailment to fret over.

Sorry, graphic:

During that horrible fall, could his brain have slammed into his skull causing a brain bleed? After having seen that impact (plus knowing his blood was so thin due to being wasted) I can’t help but feel that the injury, at least in part, added to his demise in some capacity. Jmo obv

I've not seen anything saying his wallet, pants and boots were found near his body. Those things wouldn't all move at the same speed in the water, they likely would not stay with the body if peeled off by the current and everything wasn't likely to be peeled off by the current at exactly the same time.

Personally I doubt LE would have asked a family member to ID a body that had been in the water for weeks. I do agree the identification was fast. But his fairly distinctive shirt, watch, unusual height, and hair color were probably enough. Also it's possible LE had been told he was missing a tooth or had a gold crown far back in his mouth. (I'd think LE would have had dental charts on hand.) Or he could have had a birthmark LE knew about. Still, while it wasn't called a preliminary ID, it may have technically been one at the time it was announced it was Riley.
MOO
BBM
From being in the water for 2 weeks, no birthmark would be visible. Height and hair color could also be affected. The shirt and watch could've been stolen.

It seems they identified him on the scene, so dental chart comparison as the first thing done is highly unlikely (also because they would have to avoid manipulating the remains so drastically at first).

I actually heard both the wallet and pants were missing. The family friend representing the family said that the father looked at the last video of him and spotted the wallet in the front pocket, where he had showed him to keep it safer from pick-pockets. And I believe the watch was the identifying effect.
The interview below discusses the info you’re speaking of. How did this info go public before the family was notified?
Riley Strain’s body found with no pants, wallet, boots

BBM
From being in the water for 2 weeks, no birthmark would be visible. Height and hair color could also be affected. The shirt and watch could've been stolen.

It seems they identified him on the scene, so dental chart comparison as the first thing done is highly unlikely (also because they would have to avoid manipulating the remains so drastically at first).
I didn't say a full dental chart comparison was made at the scene. We don't know (or need to know) the position of his mouth when he was found. It may have been possible to see things without undue manipulation. And I don't know that any birthmark would be completely gone. But given that there would have been lots of changes in the body, that does suggest his father would not have been asked to ID the body as some have suggested could have happened.
MOO

Last edited:
Camille, are you trying to say someone else similar to him was killed and put in his clothes?
No, I'm not that crazy. I'm trying to explain why my train of thought about the pants (at least) actually being found is reasonable, given that I hadn't read anywhere that they were not found indeed.

But I've sure read it now, so all of my arguments are moot.

Edit to phrase it the right way. I'm running on the midnight oil here.

Given everything that went on with NewsNation and the shirt story, it shouldn't be allowed to be used as a source anymore. But that's just my .02
This is a recorded interview. Is it prohibited to post interviews done by a close family friend or family members? I understand your concern regarding sources which is why I have not posted heresay, personal feelings or speculation.

Not moot. Steel sharpens steel. Failed arguments is how I learn most new things. :)

Speaking of which, do we in fact now know for sure that the pants and wallet are missing?
Yes. The NewsNation article said the only items found on him were the shirt and the watch (no mention of undergarments, which would lend to the boots & pants just washing away with the current, IMO).

This is a recorded interview. Is it prohibited to post interviews done by a close family friend or family members? I understand your concern regarding sources which is why I have not posted heresay, personal feelings or speculation.
I didn't mean it as anything personal towards you or your contributions to the thread. It's that I just can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see them around. I'm tired and rambling.

This reminds me so much of Kiely Rodni, with people so completely desperate to believe in some sort of grand conspiracy (in which an extremely tall adult male, whose cell phone and watch simultaneously go dead at the same time while he is very near to water and very drunk, was somehow ... stopped by an unknown assailant, forced to immediately turn off his phone and watch, taken somewhere, assaulted and killed in some fashion that did not show up on autopsy, stripped of his pants and boots, and then thrown back into the river -- with his shirt and watch but not his pants or boots or phone -- at the exact spot where he was abducted, such that he was found precisely where the data suggested he would be had he just drunkenly fallen in). In Kiely's case, even after watching her car drive into the reservoir, people were still somehow convinced that she'd been murdered, shoved in the back, and then driven into the reservoir by someone who then was magically beamed up out of the reservoir, leaving no trace.

I have a stepson Riley's age and a daughter Kiely's age. I cannot imagine the devastation of losing them. But tragic accidents happen all the time, and it does no one any favors to pretend otherwise.

P.S. As to whether Riley, called an avid outdoorsman, could swim ... my friend who drowned in the Mississippi River was an Eagle Scout and a trained lifeguard. Neither is any match against the mighty Mississippi.

I still think that an establishment that ejects a person in a vulnerable condition should be held accountable.

I’ve been watching a lot of drunken arrest videos on you tube lately.
If there is no person coming to pick the drunk they are put into a holding cell till sober.

Something has to change.

Scroll up. Another Sleuther posted an article that states 20%.

Most recent studies call into question the assumption that 15-20% of drowning victims do not have aspiration in the lungs, as I posted earlier. Here is one from 2004 that shows less than 2%.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back